The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-28-2004, 01:38 PM   #1
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
Elven widow(er)s remarrying

I seemed to remember reading that when an elf dies that elf only is dead for so long and then lives again in Valinor. What happens in Valinor when the surviving spouse arrives there with the new spouse? Are they sitll married? Or did I get my facts wrong about "resurection" of elves.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Once upon a time there were two persons named Finwe and Miriel, they loved each other very much. After a time they had a baby boy named Feanor. After Feanor was born Miriel was very sad and died. Afterwards Finwe met a new lady and married her. This is generally seen as a bad thing, a result of the corruption of Morgoth.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
You might want to take a look at past discussions of this topic, for example here: Elven (Re-)Marriage and here: is elven remarriage having two spouses?

It will be interesting to see if this thread sparks a new discussion!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
I suppose from the answers that I got from this board is that except in the one documented case that Elves do not remarry if they lose their spouse because they will regain that spouse later on.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That is it, in a nutshell.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote