The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2005, 01:00 AM   #1
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe What are the Two Towers?

You have a personal title, and you do not know this? Mr. Wight, I think someone needs to be stripped of a title!

Hush, Adam.

I know one of them is bound to be Orthanc (Book 3's Tower). But what about the other? Is it Minas Morgul (where Frodo, Sam, and Sméagol passed through to Mordor)? Or is it Barad-dūr (as said in the movie)?

Or am I wrong in my ideas entirely and should stick to reading the tabloids? Help!
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:37 AM   #2
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I always thought it was Orthanc and Barad-Dur. But now that you mention it, it could be Cirith Ungol. However, I'm leaning towards it being Orthanc and Barad-Dur, which are the two main strongholds of the two supreme antagonists. It makes more sense and besides, Barad-Dur is more 'important' in the sense that it is the residence of Sauron and is reflective of his strength, whereas Cirth Ungol is a subsidiary of his power and the residence of his lieutenant. Still, you never know! (Well, I guess you do, if someone answers this question better than me).
Old 01-17-2005, 02:00 AM   #3
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Hmmm . . .

Yes, Barad-dūr was one of my choices, because, along with Orthanc, it is the most important tower for evil.

But I wonder if the immediate doesn't have anything to do with the choice of names. And, since Frodo passed Minas Morgul, that might be another plausible choice.

Oh, and Fin2, Frodo and Sam have yet to personally encounter Cirith Ungol. So I don't think it's one of the choices. Although:
Quote:
Still, you never know!
(Well, I guess you do, if someone answers this question better than me). (Fin2)
applies to me, to.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I've always wondered if the term didn't refer to something more symbollic (as well as the towers themselves). TTT is the only book that is completely split between Frodo and Sam and the rest of the Fellowship. So maybe it refers to the two different directions the book takes? The two really don't touch each other at all, except for a few references ("I wonder where Frodo and Sam are now" type things). Even the first part of RotK is much more in touch with Frodo and Sam and the Ring (partially helped by Faramir's news) than the first part of TTT, where they don't seem to be as big of an immediate concern.

So that's my theory, make of it what you will.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:45 AM   #5
Soronumė
Pile O'Bones

Soronumė has just left Hobbiton.
Barad-Dur and Orthanc, that's my guess too... Since Sauron and Saruman were connected to eachother by palantķrs...
But of course, I can be (and that's most likely that I am) wrong...
Old 01-17-2005, 07:34 AM   #6
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Dark-Eye What did Tolkien think?

Well, it appears that Tolkien himself was not wholly decided on the issue and preferred that it be left ambiguous. If pressed, however, it seems that he would have nominated Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol, although his original jacket design depicted Orthanc and Minas Morgul.

Here are some illuminating extracts from The Letters on this issue:

Quote:
The Two Towers gets as near as possible to finding a title to cover the widely divergent Books 3 and 4; and can be left ambiguous — it might refer to Isengard and Barad-dūr, or to Minas Tirith and
B[arad-dūr]; or Isengard and Cirith Ungol.

Letter #140 (to Rayner Unwin, dated 17 August 1953)
Quote:
I am not really happy about the title 'the Two Towers'. It must if there is any real reference in it to Vol II refer to Orthanc and The Tower of Cirith Ungol. But since there is so much made of the basic opposition of the Dark Tower and Minas Tirith, that seems very misleading.

Letter #143 (to Rayner Unwin, dated 22 January 1954)
In the editorial notes, it states:

Quote:
In his original design for the jacket of The Two Towers the towers are certainly Orthanc and Minas Morgul ... Minas Morgul is a white tower, with a thin waning moon above it, in reference to it's original name, Minas Ithil, the Tower of the Rising Moon.
The first of the quotes above also touches upon the symbolic nature of the title pointed out by Firefoot.

Since I do not have my books with me, the quotes above are provided courtesy of Diamond18's post in the second of the threads linked to below, all of which provide further thoughts on this point:

Two Towers?

Which towers are the Two Towers?

Towers
Old 01-17-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

While it appears, as SpM points out, that Tolkien wasn't sure what he ment by the Two Towers, we could still form our guesses. I would say it's Isengard and Barad-dur.

If we look in The Breaking of the Fellowship, when Frodo is upon Amon Hen, there are places mentioned. Isengard, Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, and Barad-dur. I don't want to quote the whole thing, since it's like a page, so it will only be the parts I'm looking at. If you wish to see the whole thing, well you know where it is.

After part about the Misty Mountains, and Anduin, Isengard is mentioned...
Quote:
Westward he looked and saw the broad pastures of Rohan; and Orthanc, the pinnacle of Isengard, like a black spike.
Quote:
Then turning south again he beheld Minas Tirith. Far away it seemed, and beautiful: white walled, many-towered, proud and fair upon its mountain-seat, its battlements glittered with steel, and its turrets were bright with many banners.
Quote:
But against Minas Tirith was set another fortress, greater and more strong. Thither, eastward, unwilling his eye was drawn. It passed the ruined bridges of Osgiliath, the grinning gates of Minas Morgul, and the haunted Mountains,....
Quote:
Then at last his gaze was held: wall upon wall, battlement upon battlement, black, immeasurably strong, mountain of iron, gate of steel, tower of adamant, he saw it: Barad-dur, Fortress of Sauron.
These are 4 of the places being discusses that could be The "Two" Towers. Seeing that it is "Two" Towers, I think that excludes Minas Tirith, since it is "many-towered." Minas Morgul is compared to Minas Tirith, as being even greater and stronger, so that excludes Minas Morgul.

Barad-dur, the "tower" of adament, and Orthanc, the "pinnacle" of Isengard. Pinnacle=Tower. That's just my argument for the story, since Tolkien wasn't sure, and has a wide range of possibilities, we won't know, this is just how I think of it.

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-17-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
It is interesting to note that Peter Jackson's interpretation of the Two Towers in the movie(s) makes them Orthanc and Barad-Dūr, naming the alliance between the two towers as the reason.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:05 AM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

It is funny how the book is called The Two Towers, despite the fact that the reader is usually up to his ascots in Towers.

I think Orthanc and Cirith Ungol. The journeys in Book 3 lead to Orthanc. The journey in Book 4 leads to Cirith Ungol. Those are the two towers where our heroes end up. The Two Towers as a single book is centred around those progressions.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:35 AM   #10
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
It is interesting to note that Peter Jackson's interpretation of the Two Towers in the movie(s) makes them Orthanc and Barad-Dūr, naming the alliance between the two towers as the reason.
I've always thought of the two as Orthanc and Barad-Dūr.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:24 AM   #11
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
i did a paper on Tolkien last year and during my research i remember reading something about this, although i have no idea where or exactly what it said. it was just explaining that as SpM said Tolkien didnt really have an idea for which "Two" towers it refered to. if i remember right he needed a title and that is what he came up with.

I guess its up to you which two you choose to think about. as for my opinion i have always thought of Minas Tirith and Cirith Ungol wich used to be the twin city so-to-speak of Minas Tirith.

Last edited by Lolidir; 01-21-2005 at 10:34 PM.
Lolidir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #12
Neithan
Wight

Neithan has just left Hobbiton.
When I read the books I get the strong impression that it is Orthanc and Barad-Dūr. A large part of The Two Towers focuses mainly on Orthanc. When Orthanc is defeated their attention is turned to the bigger threat, Barad-Dūr.
There is a comparison going on between Saruman and Sauron. Saruman is trying to immitate Barad-Dūr with Orthanc, but he can not compare. Though Saruman was the main focus of most of The Two Towers and there is a definate feeling of victory when he is defeated, Tolkien soon reminds us that this was just the first round. There is still a greater enemy (second tower) to think of. Thus The Two Towers not Orthanc or Saruman's Tower.
Anyway that was my interpretation.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #13
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I was watching the third disc of TTT EE today (which is of course the first disc of TTT's documentary discs) & found a spot where several people talked a bit about the Two Towers & which towers they thought they were.

One of them said that Tolkien at one point said 'quite clearly' that the two towers were Orthanc & Cirith-Ungol (as SPM said earlier), but added that it could of course refer to Minas Tirith & Barad-Dur--the towers that represent the power of the free peoples of Middle-Earth & the power that is trying to destroy the free peoples of Middle-Earth. Philipa Boyens also brought up that it coud be Minas Morgul & Minas Tirith, the towers that used to be twins; and it was also mentioned that at one point Tolkien said that it could in fact be the union of the two towers, Orthanc & Barad-Dur, that the title refers to (giving license to the way PJ decided to portray it). It's really up for grabs, because to my knowledge Tolkien himself never actually specified which two were actually the towers described in the title of the book.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:08 PM   #14
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Yes basically any combination could make sense. Especially Eomer's.

Where TTT: Book one, deals with Aragorn and all against Orthanc, and ends in Orthanc.

TTT: Book Two, ends with Cirith Ungol.

To even get things more complicated. I found many parallels between the two Amon's. (Amon Hen and Amon Sul). For that information check here.

Is it possible that Tolkien again is trying to draw parallels between the closings of TTT Book One and Book Two? Isengard and Cirith Ungol?
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #15
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
I've always understood them to be Orthanc and Cirith Ungol, just because that's where the story takes you, and that's what Tolkien said.

But I'm beginning to think it could be Minas Tirith and Barad-dur. After all, in Book II, Chapter X, the chapter that can be considered the prelude to TTT, Frodo looks from Amon Hen and eventually focuses on Minas Tirith, and the greater and stronger tower set against it. This has been erroneously identified as Minas Morgul by at least one person in this thread, but it is clearly Barad-dur. So in that chapter, the Two Towers are clearly MT and BD.

We must keep in mind that Book Three is Secondary Action and Book Four is Primary Action (the Ringbearers and the Quest proper). Thus, especially with the chapters dealing with Faramir, I can see how The Two Towers could refer to Minas Tirith and Barad-dur.

But by no means have I reached a conclusion on this. At this point, my top five picks are:
1) Isengard and Cirith Ungol
2) Minas Tirith and Barad-dur
3) Isengard and Minas Morgul
4) Isengard and Barad-dur
5) Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul

But I am willing to be convinced, if anybody has anything I haven't thought about yet.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:08 AM   #16
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
Wow, even years after Tolkien wrote these more then great books, there are still mysteries that no one understands or knows.

Ok, well, I think like the most that the two towers are Orthanc and Barad-Dūr. What else should it be. Ok in the movie ( yes the movie can be different) Sarumans said: ''Who now can stand against the connection of the two towers of Isengard? And Mordor?'' Ok something like that. But I might be wrong. It has been a long time I've read the books. But what else should it be? I don't think Saruman means his tower and the tower or Cirth-Ungol.

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:43 AM   #17
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Well, within the context of the film, I guess that's bulletproof.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:52 AM   #18
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Ok, well, I think like the most that the two towers are Orthanc and Barad-Dūr. What else should it be. Ok in the movie ( yes the movie can be different) Sarumans said: ''Who now can stand against the connection of the two towers of Isengard? And Mordor?'' Ok something like that. But I might be wrong. It has been a long time I've read the books. But what else should it be? I don't think Saruman means his tower and the tower or Cirth-Ungol
Quote:
Well, within the context of the film, I guess that's bulletproof
Yes, it is pretty clear-cut that Saruman was talking about Orthanc & Barad-Dur in the movies. But that is the movies & PJ himself has said that they simply chose to interpret the 'Two Towers' that way because he thought that would work the best for his audience.

Of course Tolkien might have meant it that way also, but it is less likely.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:25 AM   #19
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Barad-Dūr and Orthanc, because those two towers are the biggest and most important ones. Barad-Dūr = Sauron's Eye Orthanc = Saruman and his army of Uruk-hai. Cirith-Ungol doesn't have a real purpose, that's just a watchtower for Mordor so they can keep a eye for enemies like Gondor

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Old 01-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #20
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Orthanc is smaller and far less important than Minas Tirith. So even if it was regarding such traits, that would not make sense.

It's not set in stone at all, at least we should all infer that much.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:33 PM   #21
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Pipe By watching the progress of this thread . . .

. . . I can conclude that:

No-one really knows. Everyone is free to have her/his own opinion.

I'm sticking to Isengard and Minas Morgul, then, which provided the backdrop of the greater struggles of Gandalf and Frodo in The Two Towers.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:18 AM   #22
Finwe-89
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Orthanc is smaller and far less important than Minas Tirith. So even if it was regarding such traits, that would not make sense.
I didn't mean the most important ones of Middle-Earth, I meant the towers of the ones who support Sauron. Cirith-Ungol doesn't have a real connection like I said. So I stay stick to Orthanc and Barad-Dūr.

Old 01-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #23
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Orthanc was not in support of Sauron. And Cirith Ungol had a marvellous connection, for that was where Frodo was striving towards in Book 4, and that is where he was separated from Sam, in possibly the greatest cliffhanger I have ever read.