The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #881
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
I've just noticed that an esteemed Barrowdowner has been given negative rep for a post in which she makes a completely valid and on-topic point.
How do you know that? Excusing my ignorance
Old 07-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #882
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
How do you know that? Excusing my ignorance
It was mentioned on an edit by that downer. I saw it too.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:01 PM   #883
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Mormegil, you are correct on all counts.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:06 PM   #884
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks morm. And I agree, random bad rep is rude and uncalled for. A genuine and heartfelt reason should be had for negative reps and they should be used as a last resort if PM's have failed.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #885
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I propose we set up our own network of vigilantes to catch the Rep-thief!

Anywho, couldn't you say how many points it took off? I presume we could then work towards catching the culprit by calculating who would alter the points by a similar amount and (perhaps) has posted on the same thread. This is what I do with unsigned reps (when very bored, of course).
Old 07-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #886
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I propose we set up our own network of vigilantes to catch the Rep-thief!

Anywho, couldn't you say how many points it took off? I presume we could then work towards catching the culprit by calculating who would alter the points by a similar amount and (perhaps) has posted on the same thread. This is what I do with unsigned reps (when very bored, of course).
I know how many points were taken off and I'm 99% positive of who did it. I PMed the person and they acted like they knew nothing about it but it was obvious they did. I have not negative repped for spite. Again that's not what negative rep is for though it was used against me in that manner.

I agree with the negative rep system and think it should be used but not for pety reasons. I think something that is too off color and offensive is worthy. Also when somebody is outright rude to a question I find that obnoxious enough to neg it. I've only done a couple 2 or 3 max in my time.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #887
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

If you know who did it, and it's entirely unjustified, inform somebody. *Points at vague green glow*
Old 07-30-2005, 01:20 PM   #888
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Since I assume you are talking about me .... I wouldn't say that the neg rep was unjustified, since as I said I realised that the post could be interpreted in a different way to what I had intended. I should have given a better post but I am working insane hours at the moment to meet a major deadline and my concentration is shot - it took me 4 goes to even find the right section let alone the reference! - so I didn't realise how it sounded til too late ... I had meant - I may be wrong about x but at least I go something right rather than "I got this right - you didn't nah nah nah nah nah ......." . In some ways it was a salutary reminder to be careful..... it is hard when people can't hear the "tone" and may not take smilies in to account.

It isn't the lost points that bother me - more the possibility I had genuinely upset someone. My edit was a sincere offer. Nevertheless there is a part of me that thinks, "Should I give a toss about the feelings of someone who gives anonymous and blank neg rep?". I fully admit I was thoughtless, but I have said already my feelings on unsigned/commentless neg rep. Anyone interested can flick back a few pages.....

Morm's experience is much worse - that is just hate mail to my mind......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-30-2005 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #889
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Positive unsigned reps, however, are actually a complex form of flirting on the internet, I have decided.

The unsigned aspect basically renders the entire message as "hehe, *giggle* I like you! Guess who I am..." (whatever the actual message may read). The Repped person then engages in a game of deduction to try and find the mystery flirter...

Or maybe not.

Something I have noticed, though, is that reps are rather like buses. None come for an extended period of time, and then suddenly you get two together.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:49 PM   #890
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Positive unsigned reps, however, are actually a complex form of flirting on the internet, I have decided.

The unsigned aspect basically renders the entire message as "hehe, *giggle* I like you! Guess who I am..." (whatever the actual message may read). The Repped person then engages in a game of deduction to try and find the mystery flirter...

Or maybe not.
Interesting concept but have you come to this conclusion as a result of being a flirt or flirted with!!!!

Old 07-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #891
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Just for the record, my outgoing reps are always signed. So being flirted with, obviously.

Most of my received reps are signed as well, so thankfully not too much of my time is wasted on fruitless internet flirtation... Wait, is that a bad thing? Why don't people want to flirt with me?!

Ahem. Anyway.

I'm a little lazy (or little and lazy, you could say ), but have you all discussed what you receive reps for most yet? I seem to receive reps only for making people snort with laughter, which I find ironic, as in real life I'm hopelessy shy and unfunny (unless you know me well).

Actually, come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I posted in a Books thread, which might explain the lack of reps for deep and thought-provoking posts.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:42 PM   #892
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
I'm a little lazy (or little and lazy, you could say ), but have you all discussed what you receive reps for most yet?
When I first joined it was mostly for thought-provoking posts (for example the CBC discussion threads). But, lately I haven't had time to think, and post on the CBC threads, mostly just quick Crazy Captions and find time to commit to an RPG. So, I've switched over, as 10 of my last 12 reps have come from Crazy Captions the other two from the RPG I'm in.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:20 PM   #893
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The clear majority of mine come from Crazy Captions with some from the Movies, Books, & other scattered posts that people find funny enough to rep.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:31 PM   #894
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:

Eh...I don't sign reps because I'm lazy and really....what does it matter who gave it to you. The only thing that matters (to me) is that you got it.

As for my reps, usually RPGs/when my occasional post in the the Books forums. You know, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever been repped for making people laugh though I was once neg repped for being unnecessarily biting in one of my posts or something to that nature

Old 07-31-2005, 09:37 AM   #895
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

The reason that it's nice to know who has repped you is when things like this happen. Darn the link won't work, but anyway I got a very positive rep for something I wrote in the You Know You're Obsessed thread but I was actually negativlely repped. It would be nice to know who the person was so they can be informed that they have their rep system set to negative.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:09 AM   #896
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hmmm....

Let's see, of the last 10 reps I've received, 8 have been for making people laugh, one has been for an RPG, and one has been for actually writing something thought-provoking.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:37 PM   #897
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Thumbs up me also....

8 out of 10 of my reps are for Crazy Captions. I guess I do have a good sense of humour.

I just noticed! I am now welcomed at Aragorn's Court!!!!

Last edited by wilwarin538; 07-31-2005 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added something
Old 07-31-2005, 06:08 PM   #898
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Mine also come mainly from Crazy Captions, but last week I did receive a flurry of three or four 'thought-provokers'. I almost feel bad that so many of my boxes are built from being funny, I'd like to be known for being intelligent, too. Oh well, to each his own, I guess.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:28 PM   #899
solarisa
Animated Skeleton

solarisa has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i still can't find the reputation button. i-i hate being a NOOOOOOOOOb!!! whawha
Old 07-31-2005, 07:42 PM   #900
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Its the beautiful little symbol of justice in the corner my dear
Old 07-31-2005, 08:03 PM   #901
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Gil, people with less than 50 posts aren't allowed to give out reps.

I don't get very many reps for being funny... people tell me I have a strange sense of humor, though, so it doesn't surprise me. Though I have gotten a handful or so of reps this month for being funny. Makes me happy. I don't really have a trend, though... I tend to get reps from all over the place.

I do find, though, that I tend to get reps from posts that I would consider unextraordinary rather than posts that I think are particularly good. It's nice to be surprised, though.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:44 PM   #902
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
well sorry if i was too busy doing the patented "Gil-Galad welcome" to the new downer-girls to read the memo...but my reps are mainly Crazy Captions...
Old 07-31-2005, 11:04 PM   #903
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Technically, I think that solarisa can give a rep, it's just not worth anything. I've gotten a rep from a new member and it was just the purple box; not worth any points. I could be wrong though, so if someone who really knows could tell us, that would be great. Please and Thank you!
Old 08-01-2005, 05:49 AM   #904
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Gurthang is right, and for all those who have questions about giving and receiving reputations, I have a wonderful secret tip! Go back to the first page of this very thread - yes, it's still there - and read The Barrow-Wight's posts, espcially #27, which explains the rules.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-01-2005, 07:26 AM   #905
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Lalwendë wonders what happened to the reputation system
And so soon?

Old 08-01-2005, 07:27 AM   #906
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
I almost feel bad that so many of my boxes are built from being funny, I'd like to be known for being intelligent, too.
Ditto. Still, it's like Boro88 said, when you don't have time to try to be intelligent...go for funny. Btw, thanks to Gurthang for putting me on the 'Straight Road' (or bounding me for it, whichever you prefer).
Old 08-01-2005, 10:26 AM   #907
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well you can certainly include me on the list of those whose rep is dependent on spreading amusement rather than enlightenment.... embrace it... laughter is precious on this darkling plain...........

Old 08-01-2005, 11:28 AM   #908
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
How convenient: I'm eligible to attend Elrond's council and I'm only 30 miles (and a half) away from Rivendell. It's much nicer to walk there when you know that you're welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
Well you can certainly include me on the list of those whose rep is dependent on spreading amusement rather than enlightenment
Me too. But wherever I get reps, I really appreciate that you are bothered to tell me when you liked something I said.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #909
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Congrats to Lalwende on...being stalked by petty dwarves. Let's hope you can't reach a level of being stalked by pretty dwarves.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #910
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I suggest we all pointlessly rep Lalwende just to find the next level.

Davem has now reached the point of wondering about the rep system, by the way, congrats to him.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:05 PM   #911
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Ah, reputations... As TGWBS once said, you certainly seem to get points for modding WW games.

My last rep was for a particularly emotional post in an RP. My character has taken on the role of "prisoner" in order to sneak the group into the temple (the men are dressed as royal guards), and she's just experienced hatred from the masses for being one of the Faithful.

Before that... I had a long line of reps either for WW games (people love it when a wolf successfully tricks the villagers) and for commenting that Noldor taste like Tuna.

My own reps tend to be for side-splitting laughter inducers, for very well written newbie posts, or for random other reasons that "seemed good at the time".
Old 08-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #912
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Has anyone noticed that things that you think will give you a lot of rep, often don't? And that when you post something you think is mediocre(sp), you yield many points of reputation? I've seen this in my personal posting.

Or maybe its just because I'm assuming how others will take things, and then am extremely dissappointed when they take it another way. I guess its more of me anticipating(or in extreme cases: expecting ) rep than anything else.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:33 PM   #913
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that things that you think will give you a lot of rep, often don't? And that when you post something you think is mediocre(sp), you yield many points of reputation? I've seen this in my personal posting.
That is so true. I try not to think of reps when I post, but when the thought creeps in & I think I'll get repped quite a bit I usually don't, & when it's something not as good (in my opinion), I usually do. I guess that's the beauty of the rep system...plus it discourages me of posting for reps because I never get them when I'm looking for them.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #914
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I think I have maxed out on this - my most successful (in rep terms) post ever has been me capitalising on a joke waiting to happen in Crazy Captions. The Potato stealers were going to feature there at somepoint and I grabbed the chance first when the pic feaured a field. Little effort lots of credit. And thus I deprived the Downs of the genius observation of one of my kind correspondents that they were the "Bonnie and Clyde" of the downs. I shall never think of them as Lalwende and Davem again.... !!!

Old 08-04-2005, 01:47 PM   #915
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
the "Bonnie and Clyde" of the downs. I shall never think of them as Lalwende and Davem again.... !!!
Well that has provided much laughter this evening! I shall have to buy davem a violin case.

I'm also laughing about being stalked by 'petty dwarves'. Why? Because the petty is another word for the outside toilet where I grew up so to me, 'petty dwarves' have always been pictured as dark, mouldy creatures who live in the back of the cistern and throw toilet paper everywhere.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:35 PM   #916
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
I'm also laughing about being stalked by 'petty dwarves'. Why? Because the petty is another word for the outside toilet where I grew up so to me, 'petty dwarves' have always been pictured as dark, mouldy creatures who live in the back of the cistern and throw toilet paper everywhere.
Except that now you are terrorising Wood-Elves.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #917
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Lalwende, that's not nice.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #918
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
I said this earlier but seriously! What was BD on when he wrote these things!?
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:27 PM   #919
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainaserkewen
I said this earlier but seriously! What was BD on when he wrote these things!?
Maybe he just has Tom Bombadil's songs stuck in his head, ring a dong dillo.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:03 AM   #920
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Terrorising Wood-Elves? Odd...

Well, we've had Dwarves and Elves. I presume the next stage up will be something about Men... Hmm, this is all so mind-boggling.

First she was stalked. This would obviously make her upset, leading to her terrorising others... presumably she'll be in prison next?

"Lalwende is locked up in a prison of Men" shall be the next one, I'll warrant.

Then, "Lalwende has been rescued by Bilbo."
Closed Thread