The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
Dirk

Noob question......please don't laugh

Hi guys,check it out,I've been reading about the RED BOOK OF WESTMARCH ......and here's the thing. Can you actually buy this book anywhere?......please reply to this noobie question.....I'd love to get hold of it but it doesn't seem possible .........I am sorry is this is an old subject but im goin crazy!!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
You can buy it as The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings!

Within the story, it's the source from which the present-day author draws the above works from.

The Red Book of Westmarch is the diary Bilbo kept...in it, he told of his adventure with the dwarves (The Hobbit), and about all the history/legends of old Middle-earth that he was told about during his time with the elves in Rivendell (The Silmarillion).

When Frodo returned from Mount Doom, Bilbo passed the Red Book onto him so that Frodo could fill in the rest of the story - his story (The Lord of the Rings). When Frodo left for Aman, he left the book with Sam to finish. Sam completed it, adding the end of the story (starting with Frodo's departure).

The Red Book is kept in the Shire and passed down through generations to our time, when it was used as the source for those three books.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
deal_with_it
Animated Skeleton

deal_with_it has just left Hobbiton.
Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
Hi guys,check it out,I've been reading about the RED BOOK OF WESTMARCH ......and here's the thing. Can you actually buy this book anywhere?......please reply to this noobie question.....I'd love to get hold of it but it doesn't seem possible .........I am sorry is this is an old subject but im goin crazy!!
Here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_of_Westmarch

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.asp

That explains all about it. Its not a real book, per se. The Hobbit and LOTR trilogy are supposedly the translated version of the Book of Westmarch for us to read in this day and age. Tolkien's trying to imply this Book was a record of these hobbit's adventures and it has been translated and put down into these books you are now reading.
deal_with_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
Dirk

Thanks

Thanks guys=).....I really appriciate it I was confused as to what it was because I was looking at a website that had movie prop re-makes so i was wondering if it was a published work....lol....but I guess not.....thanks again guys=)