The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-24-2002, 02:38 AM   #1
HammerTime
Pile O'Bones

HammerTime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Invisibility and Sauron

This may seem like a stupid and basic question (a guess thats why its in novices and newcomers) but I was wondering...

Why, when Sauron puts on the ring why doesn't he become invisible like Frodo, Bilbo and Gollum?
Old 12-24-2002, 02:45 AM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Do you mean in the movie? Because I'm not sure if he really wasn't invisible when he wore it. I always wondered that myself, but I don't recall Tolkien saying he wasn't invisible. Maybe Tolkien just went around the whole issue.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:50 AM   #3
HammerTime
Pile O'Bones

HammerTime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmmm. I mean in the movie and the book. If he was invisible how could Isildur see him to attack him and how would he have known which finger to cut off?
Old 12-24-2002, 03:23 AM   #4
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Good question. Maybe it was just luck, or maybe Isildir could 'sense' it. If Isildur had sensed Sauron, maybe he knew the general area and got somewhat lucky. Or here's another possiblility; maybe it was destiny. I really don't believe in destiny, but it was Tolkien's work and maybe he did, or maybe Tolkien just wanted to put it like that.

As for the movies, I think PJ should not have showed Sauron. Since this is not the movies section, I really won't get into that (and I'm too tired anyways).

-Willie
Old 12-24-2002, 03:30 AM   #5
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

I dont think Sauron is supposed to be invisibe when he wears the ring. Isnt the source of invisibility a force that draws one to Sauron? Since Sauron is the forger of the ring, he was able to revolutionize into many forms with the power of the ring. So it is voluntary that he wouldnt be invisible with the ring on. Futhermore Sauron's power was attatched to the ring; and without it he would remain a shadow...

[ December 24, 2002: Message edited by: Iargwath ]

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 03:40 AM   #6
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Could you explain that again? It's...er...well...sort of confusing.

-Willie
Old 12-24-2002, 03:50 AM   #7
Iargwath
Wight

Sting

Hehe ok then [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] As u may already be aware of, Sauron was able to change into many forms with the power of the ring. Forms meaning he wouldnt be invisible when he had the ring on. Furthermore Sauron's power was attatched to the ring, and without it he would remain a shadow (i thought the last bit was self explanatory)
Oh and i always thought that the invisibility (when one puts the ring on) is a force or a way that Sauron draws the ring back to him...

[ December 24, 2002: Message edited by: Iargwath ]

My M-e Forum
Old 12-24-2002, 04:23 AM   #8
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Sauron created the Ring with himself as the only intended bearer. The Ring was imbued with the will and power to enslave its bearer, and I believe the invisibility it bestowed was a part of that -- pulling the bearer into the wraith world, like the Nazgul's rings had done to them. The invisibility of the Ring was not a good invisibility, in that it was not harmless: it was a shifting of the wearer into the wraith world. With the exceptions of Sauron and other beings with a strong enough will to possess the Ring rather than be possessed by It, I believe the One Ring would have had the same effect on its bearer as those rings given to Men. And once utterly enslaved by the One Ring, the bearer would have brought it to Sauron, and then died when he was separated from it. The Ring's bearer becoming invisible was, I believe, an indication that the bearer's will was weaker than that of the Ring.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 04:27 AM   #9
Iargwath
Wight

Sting

Well put obloquy...

My M-e Forum
Old 12-24-2002, 08:56 AM   #10
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Yeah, you have to remember the quote about Bombadil. "Say not that he had power over the Ring; say rather that the Ring had no power over him." Well put, obloquy.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:41 AM   #11
Dorathain_Flamesword
Animated Skeleton

Location: U.S. Though Middle-Earth, Ireland or New Zealand would suit me. I am 50% Irish.
Dorathain_Flamesword has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Exactly. Even in the movie Aragorn says, "The Ring answers to Sauron alone, it has no other master." And thus, since Frodo, Sam or Gollum aren't the Ring's masters, it has power over them, as Tom Bombadil says.
Even as they spoke there came a blare of trumpets. Then there was a crash and a flash of flame and smoke. The waters of the Deeping-stream poured out hissing and foaming: they were choked no longer, a gaping hole was blasted in the wall. A host of dark shapes poured in. "Devilry of Saruman!" cried Aragorn. -Helm's Deep.
Dorathain_Flamesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:14 PM   #12
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i havent fully read all the posts, so i dont know whats been said, but i thought that maybe sauron was like the wraiths: invisible, but when by putting on clothing can be seen, if u know what i mean... like, the wraiths were invisible, but the cloaks showed them up
Old 12-24-2002, 01:58 PM   #13
lore_master
Wight

lore_master has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Sauron was a mair. Mair have no distint, visible forms. before he had forged the ring, he could change his shape. but when he put it on however, his true identity was clear to all. So the ring made him visible to us. but it made everyone else, since they were not sauron invisible
Old 12-24-2002, 03:01 PM   #14
lilith

Sting

It`s not an answer to the topic. but some of you wondered about saurons shape. for that is to say he could choose the one he liked till the fall of numenor. after this he could not "wear" a pleasing one.
but for the rest i agree. he is the master of the ring, it has no power over him as of others. but his fate is bound to it.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:13 PM   #15
RiderOfRohan
Animated Skeleton

RiderOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In FOTR didn't Galadriel say that what you could do with the rings depended on the ring and how strong your mind and will are???

I feel so uninspired. Mind Altering drugs, that's what Ineed!
RiderOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 05:24 PM   #16
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here's a thoery I just thought of:

Maybe, Sauron did turn invisible, but then put on some sort of magic armor, making him visible. This would explain why he looks like the tin man in the movies [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

This is just a stupid theory I thought of in 2 seconds, and should not be taken seriously. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2003, 01:12 PM   #17
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Did Bombadil not put on the ring? Did he disappear? No, good old Tom stayed visible. Perhaps, (assumng Bombadil is a Maiar, anyhow he has a lot of power) here's a classic example of "you must have power to weild power". (Oh, I like that, I should remember it... I just made it up!) Others can wear it, but it will be controlling them, and to show that they actually lose their visual forms. Those who have the power to DO something with it (whether they choose to or otherwise) have some sort of control over it, and so they keep their forms.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:38 PM   #18
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Simply put, Sauron controlled the Ring.

When others bore it, it controlled them.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:39 AM   #19
Iargwath
Wight

Silmaril

Thank you Legalos...a long story cut short [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My M-e Forum