The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-27-2003, 10:13 AM   #1
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Rohan and Gondor

I'm a little confused on these two cities and their inhabitants. When I was reading the LOTR books, I came to this conclusion...

Rohan
Theoden was the king. He had 2 sons and a daughter. One of the sons, I don't know the name of, but the other children were Eomer and Eowyn. In the last battle, Pippin ends up in Rohan.

Gondor
Denethor II is King. He has two sons, Boromir and Faramir. He tries killing Faramir and himself, but fails to kill Faramir. For some reason, Pippin ends up here as well. But I though Merry was in Gondor.

That was my conclusion and thus I am completely lost. Did Merry go to Rohan or Pippin? And is Eowyn supposed to be Eomer's sister? I thought they were both the children of Theoden, but in the movie they have Eowyn as Theoden's neice. They would make that much of a change would they? Can someone please elaborate on this topic for me? I am completely lost.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:48 AM   #2
Tellonniel

Sting

Eowyn and Eomer are brother and sister but they are not Theoden's children, they are Theoden's niece and nephew. I was confused when I first started reading the books about that too!! don't worry!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 10:55 AM   #3
Anunia
Haunting Spirit

Anunia has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello Eruwen! Well, the answer is pretty simple... let me see...

Rohan
The king was Theoden. He had one son, Theodred, but he died in battle. Eowyn and Eomer were brothers, and they were the sons of Theoden's brother, Eomund. Theoden raised them as his children. So, they are Theoden's nephews.

Gondor
The Steward was Denethor. As you said, he had two sons, Boromir and Faramir. I guess you know their story... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

OK... then... Pippin was taken by Gandalf to Gondor after he looked in the palantir. And Merry was the one who went in Rohan.

I hope this answered you all the questions you had.

~Anunia

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: Anunia ]

Dream the impossible, because dreams do come true.
Anunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 11:17 AM   #4
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anunia isn't quite right there.

Quote:
Eowyn and Eomer were brothers, and they were the sons of Theoden's brother, Eomund. Theoden raised them as his children. So, they are Theoden's nephews.
Eowyn is of course a girl, and therefore Theoden's neice. Eomund was Theoden's brother-in-law: he was married to Theoden's sister Theodwyn, and Eomer and Eowyn were their children.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:30 PM   #5
Eruwen

Tolkien

Whoa, ok, that cleared everything up very much. For some reason I always thought that Pippin went to Rohan. I guess I got the idea that Eowyn and Eomer were Theoden's children because he raised them as his own. Thank you all for fixing one of the many ignorant spaces in my mind. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 01:50 PM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

obviously nothing to add [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] unless you dont mind being overloaded with minute details, such as Denethor being married to Finduilas of Dol Amroth, who died after 12 years of marriage, and Faramir marrying Eowyn, and Eomer marrying Lothiriel of Dol Amroth (my head is saying she was the daughter of Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth, and im sure he was Finduilas's brother...)

im full of useless facts [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] including the most useless fact of the post: Denethor I also had a son called Boromir
Old 02-27-2003, 05:34 PM   #7
Eruwen

Tolkien

Actually, some of those facts weren't useless. I knew some, but other I had no clue. The first Denethor really had a son called Boromir? Cool. See, I didn't know that. It wasn't useless.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #8
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Eowyn is not Theoden's biological daughter. He sort of adopted her somehow...ok don't ask how I know that, I haven;t even read any of the books other than the Hobbit and FOTR, I got it from a lecture I got from a 8-year-old...
Old 05-17-2003, 12:14 PM   #9
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Elanor has it right:

Quote:
Eowyn is of course a girl, and therefore Theoden's neice. Eomund was Theoden's brother-in-law: he was married to Theoden's sister Theodwyn, and Eomer and Eowyn were their children.
That is why Theoden calls Eomer "Sister-Son": in other words, Eomer the son of my sister Theodwyn.