The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-27-2003, 02:55 PM   #1
anduin angel 44
Pile O'Bones

anduin angel 44 has just left Hobbiton.
Eye boring

i am just starting to read the books and i was wondering if any1 else found it kind of borinh bc i already saw the movie and i know whats coming..
Old 04-27-2003, 03:06 PM   #2
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read the books before seeing the films so I can't really say but I don't think I would find them boring. Lots of things are different. Without spoiling too much you can look foward to a better beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring, a friendlier Bree, Tom Bombadil, Old Man Willow, Glorfindel, a lesser role for Arwen (YEAH!) Hourns fighting at Helm's Deep, Eomer being a decent character and Faramir being a nice chap!
Old 04-27-2003, 03:09 PM   #3
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

One of my goals I stick to in life is read the book before watching the movie. I did that with LotR… it’s the best way.. well that’s what I think. Anyway try that next time [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img], because I would never call LotR a boring book but I read it long before I watched the movie [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 03:13 PM   #4
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw FOTR movie before i read the book. I didnt find it that boring but i did enjoy readining TTT and RotK more, which might be because i hadnt seen the movies before them.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:13 PM   #5
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw the fellowship before I read the books but I never found the book boring. Well, I may have got slightly stuck at the council of Elrond but I kept on reading it and like Mattius said, they're so different it doesn't matter if you basically know what's going to happen. You get to know each character a whole lot better and can appreciate the innocence of the hobbits, the age of the Elves, the bravery of the men, the rivalry between the Elves and the Dwarves and of course the history of the whole thing.

It's all-round better I find.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:33 PM   #6
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

well, when I was very little I saw the Hobbit cartoon, as well as the Return of the king cartoon. These two actually served as a huge motivation for me to read the books. I'm sure age difference makes a huge difference, so I can't speak for you, just about my own experience.

Iarwain

P.S. The books are much better than the films, and have much more to them. In reality any movie is going to be a horrible representation of the true Tolkien.

[ April 27, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 04-27-2003, 04:14 PM   #7
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally i never understood how people could find the beginning boring. I really enjoyed the beginning of the book but then a gain I'm a bookie or bookworm so....
Old 04-27-2003, 05:09 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

There is so much more to the books than there is to the films that I cannot begin to imagine finding them boring, even had I seen the films first (although I did read the books many years before the films were even an inkling in Jackson's eye).

If you find the books boring because you believe the films have already told you the story, then read on. You will be pleasantly surprised. Particularly if you manage to read RotK before the next film comes out. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

If you just find them plain boring, it may nevertheless be worth persisting because you may well find that, as the story unfolds, you are caught up in it. Or parhaps put them aside for now and try them again later. If that doesn't work, then perhaps they are not for you. In which case, this site is probably not for you either. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2003, 06:01 PM   #9
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the books, but I found that the beginning dragged too much. I also found this with the movie, especially the extended version of Fotr. I don't like the way it hangs around and puts too much emphasis on the hobbits. I want them to get straight to the point.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:58 AM   #10
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think some parts of the book are boring,like some conversations for example the one between Eowyn and Aragorn in Book III....YUCK!!!......I've read the books three times and allways tried to read it but then i skipped it after some time.......Too boring
Old 04-28-2003, 07:03 AM   #11
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

not really cos they left out bits when they made the film that are quite good [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2003, 07:41 AM   #12
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can easily imagine the books to be boring if you've seen the movie already. After all, the story is the same, though there's of course much more in the books. But if I know what's going to happen next in some game, for example, I sure find it boring. And the beginning is a little boring anyways, I think, but it gets a lot better.

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:14 AM   #13
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to like the beginning. (Not in EE FotR, but elsehow.) People always say that "Oooh, the beginning in [~insert practilly any book here~] is sooo boring/long/stupid etc." and I just love them... I think beginnings are some of the best parts of books, except endings if they're good. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyways, to the point now. I read LotR before the movies, so I can't talk for that one, but other books. For example I years ago saw a film based on an Isabel Allende book, and (of coinsidence, as I didn't know there even was a book) read the book. It was a good book, but I could remember most of it, like "And then she's going to... and then they'll... so that's were she..." It became a bit boring. So I see your point, Anduin angel 44. Being who I am, I would read it anyways, just to be able to say "I read LotR!" but I don't know what you should do. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:25 PM   #14
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Hey, I saw the movie three times before I read the books. Then, convinced I didn't need to read FOTR, I imediately read TTT without really understanding, then ROTK not understanding that either. Then I finally went and read FOTR and everything made sense. I don't find those books boring, even reading them the first time. I have this problem that when I read, I mentally skip the description and go right to the actions and dialog. Then I have to go back and read it all again. But that's okay, I really understand now. Now if I can only get through the silm. then everything will be good.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:03 PM   #15
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

As this is a Tolkien fansite, generally almost everyone here will be a Tolkien fan, so I am not sure that the question really makes sense here. Still, I’ll just say, I love the movies to the extreme, but there are some pieces, however tiny, that shouldn’t be there. I don’t think that this is true in the books, but then again, I’m also a bookworm. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 03:10 PM   #16
Annúnlótëiel
Animated Skeleton

Annúnlótëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I made a rule to myself to read books before seeing the film the book is based on. For this reason I read FOTR before I saw the film. I don't find the books boring, I love all the details and even if you "do" see the film first there are so many things, as Mattius said, that add on and make the book beautiful. I have also noticed that there are things in FOTR film that only a person who has read all three books would "get". Little things that when you have only read the first book and whatch the film don't make sense. ( I read the first book, watched the first film, then read the last two books, and watched the first film again).

I was so into everything so I took my time and all the parts most people find "boring", I belive, are important (remember everything is in there for a "reason"). I think all the parts about history, although I admit it "can" get long at first, are important, but I just had to be patient and read carefully. That's really the only way you can get the most out of it and truly appreciate the work.

It wasn't unusual fo me to reread small sections that spoke about history (or described places or locations) more than once (i.e. Council of Elrond parts). I am sure other people did this. (?) Just me peronally, I was concerned with trying my best to understand eveything. (I didn't mind flipping to the map! The map is good, it's there to help ^-^)

LOTR is not (underline that) something you can skim through, all the "boring" parts are essential to fully understanding and appreciating the book. I don't find them boring, but it is true that compared with most of todays mainstream writing it is harder for people to actually take time and "think" about what they are reading. Many people today just do not want to do that.

I hope all movie fans do sit down and read the books, they are wonderful and you must make an effort to read everything, I think it part of the book and JRRT wants us to read it (or he would not have written it!)

It sadens me that people can so easily label it as "boring", it's not, you just have to think and enjoy it.

::sigh:: maybe it's because I actually like history?

I just want to say that all you need to do is take your time and really read carefully.

Some of the discription parts are just so truly beautiful (Or sad or depressing), and I imagine everything as it comes up and have this wonderful (Or horrible) setting in my head.

These are the parts that make this book unique, all the thought Professor Tolkein put into it.

Sorry this was so long.

sigo mi corazón
Annúnlótëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:20 PM   #17
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Sting

I also have made myself a rule that I'm not allowed to see the movie if I have not first read the book(unless I don't know the book exists). I read The Hobbit, then the FOTR series, then proceded to watch the animated LOTR series, and finally watched the FOTR movie and was quite pleased with it in most respects.(leaving Tom Bombadil out was a BIG mistake, though finding a actor to portray him accuratly....)
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 03:29 PM   #18
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
i already saw the movie and i know whats coming..
Have you seen ROTK?

Obviously many people here found the first part boring, but trust me, it does get better!

BTW, if you think FOTR is boring, don't try and read HOME! (Haveing trouble with book of lost Tales 1, but I WILL get through it!) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2003, 04:35 PM   #19
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I was so thrilled to be reading the Fellowship the first time that the beginning flew by with much excitement. I loved it. It terrified me. I had nightmares about screaming black riders for months. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Of course, I also had nightmares about giant spiders eating me after the Hobbit, so I suppose I was just a bit of a nightmare prone child. Anyway, I love it all, and I think I'm going to start reading it again after I finish this post.

Iarwain

P.S. I hope this sudden burst of enthusiasm will allow me to finish this time (my last two attempts ended in failure shortly after entrance into the Old Forest.

P.P.S. Another good booster is reading a Tolkien autobiography. I would reccomend Humphrey Carpenter's I'm just finishing it now...

[ April 30, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 04-30-2003, 05:59 PM   #20
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Quote:
(Haveing trouble with book of lost Tales 1, but I WILL get through it!) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Same.. Yes, that's a great method, read The Book of Lost Tales I, and then try LotR [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 04-30-2003, 06:04 PM   #21
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't give up on Fellowship, it is a really great book. It is slow in some parts but that is just because they are introducing you to an entire new world that is very complicated with new people, languages, and a history. I love the movie, but the film lacks the detail and the things that makes Tolkien's works really great. The movie was a good representation of the story in the film world, but it is still not complete compared to the book.

How old are you? or really are you young or old? If you are young maybe Saucepan Man is right, just wait a little bit. I tried reading FOTR in 7th grade and became extremely confused. I waited a couple of years till I was older and then re-read the book. I understood it, enjoyed it, and it is now one of the best books I have ever read in my life. It is not the most easy books to read, but if you put in some effort and get through some of the slow parts, I know you will love it in the end [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2003, 06:08 PM   #22
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

I don't think the books are boring. Some parts, as mentioned earlier, drag on a bit, but otherwise I think the books are great.
A looong time ago I read The Hobbit, and hated it.

I didn't read FotR straight after, because I thought it would be the same. Then, I saw the FotR movie. After that I didn't hesitate a second and read FotR very fast.

I then started reading TTT, but I left off in the middle somewhere and just stopped. Once I saw TTT as a movie, I immediately picked it up again and continued reading.

I am currently 2/5 of the way through RotK.

I WONT STOP!! IT'S TOO GOOD! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

P.S.
Gorwingel, you found FotR confusing in 7th grade?
I found it confusing in 5th grade, but I managed to read it anyway... That's probably why I stopped for a LONG time in the middle of TTT, I found it even more confusing.

[ April 30, 2003: Message edited by: kittiewhirl1677 ]
Old 04-30-2003, 06:17 PM   #23
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Well Maya, you should try rereading it and you'll find lots of things you didn't notice before. At least I did. But you might not, I guess. I think I read FotR for the first time in 4th grade, and I didn't think then that it was confusing at all, but rereading it I have found so many things that I simply didn't notice before or seemed unimportant. But maybe when I reread it again I'll find more things that I've missed...

~On her way to find her none-too-well-handled copy of FotR for yet another rereading- Menelien
Old 04-30-2003, 11:37 PM   #24
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In 7th grade I actually did complete LOTR, it is just that I did not understand anything in the book (I don't know why? I think I must have been crazy that year. But strangly the parts that I remembered most vividly were Bilbo's birthday party and Tom Bombadil).

That was one reason I went to see the first film, in a quest that it would clear up some things that I didn't get in the first reading. I absolutely loved FOTR (It is such an amazing movie, I ended up seeing it 7 times), so I went back and read the books, then I went on to reading The Hobbit, and just recently I have finished reading the Silmarillion. I have actually read LOTR three times all the way through.

The reason I didn't read FOTR until seventh grade was that I had never heard of the book. I actually started reading it on recommendation from my librarian (because I was a fan of the Redwall books). My parents are not fantasy fans so I was never introduced to it by them, and my sister had not been interested in the book either. I am kind of surprised that I never read it, or stumbled over it during my hours spent in the library. But, oh well, at least I found it in the end.

I actually thought during the first reading that the hobbits were ugly troll like creatures so I never could relate to them. I can't believe how actually wrong I was. I had no idea that they actually looked like very short humans.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:53 AM   #25
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Sting

I loved the beginning of the book. How could you find it boring? It rocked and I think that is the trouble with the movies. They aren't what the books are. The books are true genius. The movies are not as much so!
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:07 AM   #26
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd have to disagree. I started reading the books when I heard that there was going to be a movie based on them. But when I went to see it for the first time, I still had about 50 pages left of FOTR to read. Well, I saw the movie then finished the book later. Didn't really ruin it for me at all. Then again, I was reading one of the more exciting parts of the book. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
There are a few parts in the books that tend to lag.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:29 AM   #27
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey Anduin Angel!

You do make a point but, like Peri, I have to disagree. The books allow you to see the story in a more in-depth way, if you know what I'm saying. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Like, maybe if you don't understand something mentioned in the movies, the books will give you reference to it.
Anyway, must be off. Good day, all!

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:01 AM   #28
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've only read the fellowship of the ring (I barely got thru it!) and I can't fully say I read it because in total I skipped about HLF of the book! I found it realllly BORING!!!!!! There were one or 2 parts in the story that I found interesting (eg: the saruman of many colors part during the council of Elrond), but otherwise I nearly fell asleep.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:28 PM   #29
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I could be wrong... but I do think there are fan forums for the X-Men, and maybe even Cat in the Hat.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:06 PM   #30
Calenedheliel1
Pile O'Bones

Calenedheliel1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am reading the books for the third time and I don't find any of it boring--in fact every time I read it I find something of interest in the books that I haven't really paid close attention to. I've seen the LOTR and TTT each at least 30 times and am still amazed at PJ and crew for bringing these wonderful books to life for me even if he has changed the story line a bit.
Calenedheliel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 07:22 AM   #31
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Just one more person saying that I didn't find the books to be boring! True, some parts were slow going, but they are very rewarding later on, since you need them to understand what's happening. Again, reading the books shows you the rich tapestry of Tolkien's world. If the movies even attempted to fit all of the special things in, they would be way too long! What special things? The elves, Tom Bombadil [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] , the Barrow-Downs, songs, poems, bits and pieces of lore, and so on. Try reading the books again and take time to enjoy the little things left out of the movies that make the books such treasures!
One other incentive- being here on the Downs has made me read the books more voraciously and pay attention to detail so that I can have worthwhile input here! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 05-22-2003, 05:42 PM   #32
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I have to admit, some parts in the book are slow. The slow parts are kind of like a preperation to an exciting part almost. I read the books after the movie and found how different the books are than the movies and learned about different characters that were not mentioned in the movies. I think you should keep reading them even though you do know whats coming up next.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 07:31 AM   #33
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I am just starting to read the books and i was wondering if any1 else found it kind of borinh bc i already saw the movie and i know whats coming..
Well your in for a little surprise, there are parts in the books that don't occur in the film, so it should be a pleasent surprise. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
It is slightly slow in the beggining but the writing gets better and better all the time so plz don't give up. It will be well worth it, i promise [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2003, 02:40 PM   #34
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

In my case I read the Fellowship of the Ring after I went and saw the movie and I did the same thing with The Two Towers. I don't think they're the least bit boring, in fact in my opinion they're better than the movies. All the movies do for me is give me a better visual. The books provide so much more information. I love them. Whats killing me though is that I want to continue my trend of reading the book after the movie and waiting for The Return of the King to come out is not an easy thing. I have to keep reading other books so I don't go sticking my nose in ROTK.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 12:16 AM   #35
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also have to admit that there were some parts of the books that stretched for too long. (e.g. The hobbit/Shire chapters), but the rest of the books are brilliant and exciting! (well, I think so)
Maybe you don’t understand some parts of the book very well and hence find it boring.
If this is the case, may I suggest you find reference to the part you don’t understand and investigate on it. You may understand better. That’s what I do when I find a name or place in the books I’m not familiar with.
Only if that is the case, though. It may not be. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
i already saw the movie and i know whats coming..
Well, there’s a LOT (as many have said) in the books that the movies don’t include. (Aule, I agree with you!)

Quote:
a friendlier Bree, Tom Bombadil, Old Man Willow, Glorfindel, a lesser role for Arwen (YEAH!) Hourns fighting at Helm's Deep, Eomer being a decent character and Faramir being a nice chap!
Happy Reading, Anduin Angel!

Tarien

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 12:45 PM   #36
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The books..BORING?????? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] FOTR was one of the fastest books I have ever read. I just picked it up and within three pages was whisked away into Middle Earth. Then, when I found out that movies were being made I was excited to see their interpretation of the books. The only book I had any trouble on was the very beginning of TTT because I had little time and patience to read it with school and such.. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Once I completed the LOTR, I went immediately to the hobbit and am now almost done the Silmarillion. I then have the books of lost tales, unfinished tales, and the shaping of middle earth to go on to. I have also just purchased the complete guide to middle earth as my handy bedside reference. For me, the movies offered an interesting look into what a visualization of middle earth could be like. The movies don't ruin the books. In fact, they should just help to enhance your reading experience. I hope you stick with it and discover the magical literary world of ME for yourself.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:29 PM   #37
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

Well, I watched the first movie before I read the book, and the movie reeeeally made me want to read the books. So I read FotR and was blown away. Then I read TTT and was blown even farther away. And when I finished RotK, I was blown halfway into outer space.

So no, I didn't find the books boring. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I actually really loved the beginning of FotR; then again, that's probably because it featured mainly hobbits, and I adore anything and everything that has to do with hobbits. I'll admit, some parts seemed to drag, but when I go back and reread those parts now (especially the parts with Tom Bombadil), I find them to be wonderful. Strange, how that works out... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

All in all, I have to admit that I like the books more than the films. Now that's not to say that I think the films are horrible and that the books have no flaws - they're both incredible pieces of art, each with their own faults and strengths. But my personal preference is with the books. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 07:20 PM   #38
Phoenix
Pile O'Bones

Phoenix has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Phoenix
Tolkien

I saw the films before reading the books, so I know where youre coming from. And, you dont always know whats coming, because they do quite often change bits-n-pieces of the book to accomidate the film version. I liked the books, but ttt was far beyond dismul, so there you go.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 09:29 PM   #39
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

I read the books before I knew they were coming out with the movie, and have The Hobbit memorized since what, 5th grade? The way they were written was unique, and nothing like I'd ever read before. As far as boring would go ... no way. I was thoroughly captivated by them. However, I have not read them a second time the whole way through because to me they are 'in the moment, first time' kind of books. Oh, I'll pick up a chapter that I'd feel compelled to read before bedtime and just savour the excitement of the Helms Deep battle--the best chapter in the Two Towers--but I probably won't read them all again.

Now, *sigh* it's killing me to get through the Silm. I have been spoiled by all these modern fantasy series like Elaine Cunningham's Songs and Swords, and Terry Brook's Shannara, that Silm is a bit slow. It's really really sad and I want nothing more than to finish it!! It would help me so much in the RPG area! Oh bother.

No, but, The Hobbit was the best book. Read that! It's not slow in the least!

-Maikafanawen
Old 06-20-2003, 02:53 PM   #40
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Maika, persevere with it, really. The first bit is a bit slow, and on my first reading, I admit, I did actually skim through it. But it is necessary, to understand Melkor's role as the outcast and general bad guy. That book is an excellent piece of literature, and some of the characters will stick with you- the determined Beren, brave and beautiful Luthien, cruel Glaurung, devastated but true Tar-Miriel, and fiery Feanor, the creator of the silmarils. Also, it gives you the history of some things the Lord of the Rings never explained- for example, Shelob's origin, Sauron's beginning and why he turned bad, Elrond's lost heritage, and, of course, the forging of the rings of power. Keep going, really- the love story of Luthien and Beren is beautiful, and the tale of Niniel, the Maiden of Tears.

Quote:
i am just starting to read the books and i was wondering if any1 else found it kind of borinh bc i already saw the movie and i know whats coming..
I know it may be too late (as in you may have alreay read it; it is never too late for LotR. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )but don't be disheartened. This first part of Lord of the Rings is a little slow, because in the movie that was one part they stuck to particularly faithfully. But the first movie did bring up certain gripes among Tolkien fans, because it missed quite alot. One of my favourite characters, Tom Bombadil, was missed out, as well as Goldberry, who has been viewed by some as Frodo's first love, because he was so taken by her. Similarly, the namesake of this very website was missed out- the entire escapade in the downs is a bit in the books that have stuck with me was entirely missed out.

The film also takes certain view points on some things that readers of the book may not have seen, and by the end of the first film, most of the dialogue has been at least altered, if not completely missed or reallocated to other characters, or in different conversations. For example, I always saw Faramir as a good character, but its interesting the way Peter Jackson, along with the lovely David Wenham, have brought into it maybe a hint of the weakness of men again, a weakness which Faramir's brother struggled with so strongly. Also, to Boromir himself- he never seemed to me to be a main character in the book to me, and his death scene, a beautifully filmed and acted part of the film, was actually not in the books. The way Gandalph behaves around the ring is another thing. To see these things portrayed in such different ways, whether I agreed with them or not, are just a few points that made me enjoy the film so much.

(Well, after the initial "wow, look what Aragorn can do with his sword!" thing. Naturally. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

[ June 20, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]