The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #441
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Kuru!

Good to see you.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:45 AM   #442
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

*smiles happily to see all the old faces again*

Wait... faces?!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #443
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Re-reading some really old posts got me remembering Gwaihir the Windlord, who I believe was the first one here to ever respond to one of my posts, and my fellow movie-foe TLW. Here's to you both, wherever you are.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #444
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Gosh, it's been centuries since I last visited the Downs... not that I ever did much when I was here. I'm in the middle of a marathon extended edition movie watch-a-thon at the moment and I just had to come back and see the place, post a few mutterings. I shall have to make some Mirth while I'm here, for old times sake.

And yes, I still hold a candle for Denethor. Carefully.

Last edited by Meela; 08-03-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #445
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Lovely to see you ... I am glad that Denethor is secure in your affections

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #446
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Uhm...hi! Not really sure what to say. It's been a while.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #447
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikadilwen View Post
Uhm...hi! Not really sure what to say. It's been a while.
It has, but I think that "hi" was quite appropiate.

Welcome back!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #448
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
I didn't read this thread so I'm sure this is echoing someone else's feelings but I wish Kate (onewhitetree) would come back around. I'll bet she's even hotter and funnier now. Seems like I remember burra actually going to stay with her for a summer or something. Hot damn!

Last edited by obloquy; 08-17-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: 900 posts. Thweeeet
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #449
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Maika! Welcome back...again!

The RPG forums have been too quiet lately...so many of you amazing writers left! And a number of newer good writers have been slowly disappearing as well...

In fact even Child has rarely been around for a while, and now pio is exceedingly quiet as well...

Anyway, it's nice to 'see' you again!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #450
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Where are all these ancient faces coming from? Welcome back, anyway.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:04 AM   #451
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Hey guys!

Just stopping by to say hi. Don't know if anyone remembers me though, I think my last post was 5 years ago.

Is Sharku still around? And how's the mighty Barrow-Wight doing? What about Heren, Tigerlilly and Fea? And Lush?

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #452
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balin999 View Post
Hey guys!

Just stopping by to say hi. Don't know if anyone remembers me though, I think my last post was 5 years ago.

Is Sharku still around? And how's the mighty Barrow-Wight doing? What about Heren, Tigerlilly and Fea? And Lush?
I remember you, Balin.. First Kate, aka onewhitetree comes back, and now you! Let all the Elder Wights arise from their barrows!
Let's see...
Fea and Lush are still quite active. HI pokes his head in here from time to time. The Chief Wight may be seen occasionally, but he never posts anymore.
And Sharkû? I don't remember seeing him in quite a while.
Stick around, if you can!

Last edited by Inziladun; 12-31-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added bolding
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #453
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
So....yeah, posted in the Newcomers thread, but also decided to post here seeing as most of the older Downer's will remember me...

Yeah, anyways, so I'm sitting here, at our Bostonmoot and Mira is watching every word that I type and I decided that it would be a good idea for me to come on and at least say hi, I'm alive and probably will be making a comeback as an active downer....just not as much as I used to.

Still, it'll be nice to talk to you all and play Werewofl with all of you again!!

~ Glirdy ~
Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #454
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

My favourite part of Bostonmoot? Seeing all those jolly old 'downers back online... *is happy*
Old 01-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #455
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
*Gives Lommy a giant hug*

I've missed you!!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #456
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
1420!

*sigh*

I'm already missing lucyyenic. She was only with us a few hours... she only made two posts... and yet she managed to bring so much joy into our lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyyenic
I was reading the "Unifinished tales of Numenor and Middle-earth" when I was asked if I could paint something calssical, without fat people, blood, or other strange things involved. So here we have Amroth, King of Lorien and Nimrodel, somwhere in the Fangorn Forrest.

I´m not sure about the quality of the pic, since it´s a pretty huge and had to be photographed. Originally it´s watercolor
Old 02-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #457
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Alas, poor yenic. I knew her, Nerwen . . . well actually I didn't. As a matter of fact, I'm the one what did her in. So, apologies to all for depriving the 'Downs of such a luminous presence. 'Fair as an Elf-child she was, but briefer, alas!'

At least 'Words that start and end with the same letter' will go down in history as the most succesful thread ever started by a spam-bot.

Last edited by Aiwendil; 02-04-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #458
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
...at least if you define "successful" as "allowed to remain on the forum undeleted" in this case.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #459
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Guess who I saw looking at Paper Telephone this morning! Dancing Spawn....!
(well *I* thought it was exciting...)
Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #460
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

It is. Next time I mod a werewolf game I will do a serious campaign to get her to play...
Old 09-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #461
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It feels very wrong somehow that the Saucepan Man's post count is finally close to being overtaken even after an extremely lengthy absence.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #462
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I suppose Narnangol did not post that much before he disappeared, but I miss his steady but cheery way of posting. I wish he'll come back.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #463
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Well, it was obvious that a certain recent film release would bring me back among the dead. It's been a while, but it feels good to be back.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #464
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Well, it was obvious that a certain recent film release would bring me back among the dead. It's been a while, but it feels good to be back.
Welcome back to the barrow, Miggy!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #465
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Yay! The same happened to me too, but I have to say I've been around more recently. And I see this already means the resurrection of Quiz Room...
Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #466
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I suppose it had to happen and I wish it were not me but after an absence of three and a half years The Saucepan Man's post count has been equalled. I just wanted to say in this passing post that I miss his intelligence and humour and wish he would return to reclaim his place

Old 09-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #467
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Wow, Mith, you're number 1 for posts!

Can't believe I'm still on the first page.

So... hi everyone.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #468
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quantity over quality Eomer dear Password bumped it up lately.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #469
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

There is either something rather weird or rather sad about how self-referential this thread has become in recent...years. (Oh the cruelty of time.)

I was reading through some *really* old threads (from the days before I joined) while waiting around at work today and it prompted me to notice that HerenIstarion hasn't posted since early this year.

Also, my former REB cohort Diamond18 hasn't posted in a year almost to the day.

And thinking of her put me in mind of another mighty colleague of REB fame, Rimbaud who has not posted since '08.

*raises a toast to glorious companions of yore*
Old 02-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #470
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
It feels very wrong somehow that the Saucepan Man's post count is finally close to being overtaken even after an extremely lengthy absence.
Instead of announcing myself or remembering an absent wight, I will use this post to welcome back the one and only Saucepan Man! He made an appearance at the Quiz forum the other day, and will hopefully not disappear again!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #471
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Alas for the departed

I was reading through some of the old werewolf games at work today and on an impulse clicked on the profile of Feanor of the Peredhil and saw that she hasn't posted since June 27, 2012. She will always have a special place in my heart for how her weird behavior let me achieve a remarkable come from behind win in the first Downs werewolf game.

And speaking of werewolf, the mighty Phantom himself hasn't posted since December of last year...of course, in these latter days that might not count as being gone long enough to qualify as an absence.

And I must also mention Anguirel who hath not posted since August 2011.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 07-09-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added Ang and clarified my phantom comment
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #472
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Since it's her birthday today, I wonder - does anybody have a clue what's become of Ibrîniðilpathânezel? She was the first I thought of inviting back to the Downs after the Reanimation, since I still had her website (once home of wonderful Tolkien-inspired music) bookmarked, but alas! It's defunct, and checking her profile I found her last post here was back in 2011.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #473
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand Nostalgia

Just scrolled through this thread and so many names of old I remember. I have stayed in touch with Lush after meeting her here, and followed her life and career through the years. I now subscribe to her newsletter where she has regular geolocation challenges.

One has to wonder how many of these souls are quite literally dead. I know on The One Ring and Tolkien Forums there are memorial threads for members who passed away.

Last edited by Snowdog; 04-18-2021 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:54 AM   #474
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
One has to wonder how many of these souls are quite literally dead. I know on The One Ring and Tolkien Forums there are memorial threads for members who passed away.
I've wondered about that also. It would seem pretty easy for the Downers connected to others via social media platforms to stay informed on one another's welfare.
With those (like me) who aren't active on FB, Twitter, etc., it's more problematic.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #475
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I've wondered about that also. It would seem pretty easy for the Downers connected to others via social media platforms to stay informed on one another's welfare.
With those (like me) who aren't active on FB, Twitter, etc., it's more problematic.
"Pretty easy," aye, but not perfect. People flee Facebook eventually, Twitter has no 'Downsian group--just a smattering of mutual follows, LiveJournal is long since dead (at least among my generation of Downers), and who can say of other social media sites?

In other words, take away the forum and there would no longer be any central place. Sorry news, if there were any, would probably spread, but like a game of telephone across various platforms.

(Which, to take things sideways, is kind of a beautiful story-germ, but not mercifully not the present situation.)
Old 06-29-2021, 11:06 PM   #476
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I am in occasional contact with Anguirel via Facebook . Not dead thankfully but does have a grown up life now. I imagine this is case for many of these who joined as teenagers

Old 07-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #477
Maril
Newly Deceased

Maril has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Hi, this is Marileangorifurnimaluim. I can't log in to my old account. I get as far as "...furn" and hit a brand new character limit on the user name. What do I do? Is there any way to retrieve my old account?
Maril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #478
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Hi there, Maril! Lovely to "see" you again! I've contacted the admins in hopes that one of them can help you - it may take a couple of days though...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #479
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Wow! This is a pleasant surprise. The Fourth of July weekend is not a great time to look for login help, and I am not savvy enough to assist myself, but we have asked for assistance.

Good to hear from you again Maril...!
Old 07-02-2021, 04:02 PM   #480
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Good to see everybody who's still around here. I've been largely absent for a while, but recently I (finally) succeeded in convincing a friend to read LotR and The Silmarillion, and it's put me in more of a Tolkien mood than I've found myself in for a long time.

It's crazy to think that I've been on this forum for twenty years now . . .
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote