The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2002, 01:37 AM   #1
Fool-of-a-Took
Pile O'Bones

Fool-of-a-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe M.E. Currency

I was just wondering if anyone knew about the monetary system in Middle Earth. I know it's a bit of a boring enquiry, but I cannot remember, whilst reading Tolkiens books, any mention of how things are bought and sold.
I imagine a lot of bartering went on between neighbouring areas such as Gondor and Rohan but how for instance did the hobbits pay for a beer at 'The Green Dragon'?
Also on this subject can anyone tell me why Theoden would want to sell nine of his black horses to Sauron, a sworn enemy? surely the king wasn't that desperate for cash!
Old 10-15-2002, 02:59 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here are a couple of the previous discussions on the topic of money in Middle-Earth:
Money in ME
Did Hobbits have Money?
A very interesting discussion on trade in Middle-earth is on the Coffee! thread.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 05:11 AM   #3
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

eeemm... Fool-of-a-Took, where did you read that Theoden would want to sell nine black horses to Sauron?

In the LotR stands a rumour that they were paying tribute to Sauron, but in TTT that rumour is utterly destroyed by Theoden, saying that they do not pay anything to him and are not in allegiance, but are as yet not in open war with him. The slaves of the Dark Lord made raides through Rohan, stealing the horses (always the black ones).

So, now you made me curious if you read otherwise in one of the books.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 10:02 AM   #4
Fool-of-a-Took
Pile O'Bones

Fool-of-a-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Apologies Lathspell, it's a few months since I re-read TTT and for some reason I recall Theoden saying that he sold the horses when clearly he didn't.
Must be the drugs I'm on for my cold!!