The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2002, 12:33 PM   #1
AragornsHeir
Animated Skeleton

AragornsHeir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AragornsHeir
Ring How many people fell in love with Sam

After reading the last two books of LOTR I fell completely in love with Sam. He was so brave. Frodo would not have gotten to the top of Mount Doom without him. When he carried Frodo up the mountain it was so sweet. He really did have the stout heart that Aragorn said he had and it saved both of them. I was captivated by the way he was so much in love with Frodo that he would do anything for him. In a way he reminded me of my father who would've done the same thing for someone in need. I read the part four times over when he nearly killed Shelob. I was overjoyed when he found Frodo and smote the arm off of the ork that whipped him. Whenever Sam was sad I wanted to pick him up and hold him. I wanted to rid of Gollum just to make Sam feel less irked by him. I wanted to give him water when he and Frodo needed it. And I wanted to carry him when he could no longer walk. From the time they entered Cirith Ungol I became Sam and felt everything that he felt. I shed his tears. I held his wounds. I sang his song. The books are incomplete without him. And he will always be my hero in LOTR. Long Live Samwise of the Shire!

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: AragornsHeir ]
AragornsHeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 01:36 PM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

You said it. I don't think I could add anyhting else to what you just said, Aragornsheir. Sam was the most heartwarming character in the story. He shows the true friendship that people would only DREAM about. He is so sweet and caring, I don't even think I have heard of a better friend. I mean, he risked his life so many times to save his friends and family. {Not to mention helping Frodo save Middle Earth!} [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

I just wish there was some one on our real Earth like that. I think he's one of the main reasons why I am so interrested in LOTR. He is why I keep reading the book over and over again. Samwise Gamgee, you're the best!!! {I only wish he were real! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] }
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 01:49 PM   #3
greywind
Pile O'Bones

greywind has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well... like as not, Sam Gamgee is worrying over his master all the time... I think that must be the kinda man he is, not just during the quest.

I just no not think that someone who is worrying themself so much can be really happy...

Sam is really really... selv-sacrificing. So I pity him, but it may be that I just do not understand him...

Though, he is a very stout fellow, and if I where Frodo, I would not trade him for even Gandalf [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: greywind ]
greywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 04:34 PM   #4
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Aragorn's Heir, after reading that, how could you NOT like Sam!? But I actually fell in love with some other characters as well. In LotR and the Silmarillion. So many awesome characters!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 05:15 PM   #5
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Tolkien

AragornsHeir:

Well said!

Like you I fell completely in love with Sam when I read TTT and ROTK!

He is so loyal and sweet and you can't help but love him!

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2002, 05:19 PM   #6
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I didn't physically fall in love with Sam, but I thought it was so sweet how loyal and protective he was of Frodo. *Awwww*
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 05:45 PM   #7
AragornsHeir
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Eruwen I wish there were a person like that on earth too or people like that. I would give my hands to have a friend like that.
I would not have left Middle-Earth like Frodo did I would give up the Undying Lands for him. Shoot I'd marry him if he was real I don't care how short he is [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Well that may be going a little far. Maybe.

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: AragornsHeir ]
Old 07-19-2002, 07:42 PM   #8
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Sting

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I thought Sam was a dork. Sure, he was brave and all, but his doglike loyalty to Frodo was kinda annoying. The whole kissing of the hand kinda made me cringe. And i know that the book was written in a time period when that was ok, but still...i fell in love with Frodo! He was da bomb...not to mention he's hot...sssssssssss... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 07:45 PM   #9
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

No offense taken, Anorien. People have a right to their opinions. And I, personally, think Sam AND Frodo are cool. Sam was just the one who really stuck out in my mind. He was the best!! {But that's just my opinion.} [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 08:10 PM   #10
AragornsHeir
Animated Skeleton

Thumbs up

Oh no Anorien Eruen right everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I understand. I like Frodo too, who doesn’t and yes he is pretty hot, though my taste goes more toward and elf we all call Legolas. Though Sam will not beat him in heroism. Never.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:17 PM   #11
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

<font color=aqua>AragornsHeir, those are SO my feelings.
I am re-aquainting myself with the books, but I first "fell in love" with Sam Gamgee when I was twelve. Couldn't tell you the exact thing that struck me about him, but he's held a special hobbit-sized place in my heart ever since.
When I saw the movie for the first time,, although the scenery was beautiful and all of the actors were wonderful and the effects were fantastic (IMO), my main concern was keeping my eyes glued on Sean Astin to see how he played "my" Sam. I admit, I am not a Tolkien purist, nor will I ever claim to be, but I thought he did superbly. (again, IMO).
'Kay, I'll hush, now. :-X
Quote:
"Safely!" said Sam. "All alone and without me to help you? I couldn't have a borne it, it'd been the death of me. "
(Ah--lines like that...no, I'll shut up, now, I promise.....)
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 08:50 PM   #12
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Sam is so sweet! And it is because of his bravery he is my fav character in the book. AragornsHeir, I agree with everything you say. I really felt for Sam when it hurt him to see Frodo in so much pain. In the second half of ROTK, you read all of Sam's thoughts until the ring was destroyed, which really helped you feel for him. I thank Tolkien for putting him in the books, for if he didn't, the books would be missing something truly wonderful.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:57 PM   #13
Talking Hawk
Pile O'Bones

Talking Hawk has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"...How much Sam was in love with Frodo."

IN love...? o_o I agree with the rest of the message, but IN love...? Um, if I understand you correctly, I'll have to disagree. . .

Sam, yes, very much loves Frodo. But being IN love. . .? Um...I disagree...

I don't know; I might've interpreted the message incorrectly... o_O
Merry shrugged his shoulders. “It could be a love triangle. Like about a week ago, I was in love with Angela AND Estella, but then I decided to break it off with Angela…” He sighed dreamily, but Pippin lifted an eyebrow. “Angela thought your name was Timothy,” he pointed out innocently, and Merry glared at him. “It could happen to anybody…” - Excerpt from my "Three Blind Spies" story (see fanfic section)
Talking Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 09:20 PM   #14
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I love Sam. He is honest and loyal. He is not self-centered. Although uneducated and inexperienced, he has great potential which we see realized by the end of the LotR. Sam undergoes that wonderful transformation that sometimes takes place when a person takes on a role in something larger and more important than themselves. In the way that ordinary, sometimes even simple-minded men become war heroes because the circumstances demand it, Sam takes intitiative and demonstrates wisdom that he doesn't seem capable of when we meet him hiding in the bushes under Frodo's window.

Throughout this growth process he remains aware of his own limitations and need for council. I think his lack of compassion for Gollum was one of his limitations. He didn't kill Gollum when he had the chance because he was willing to yield to the wisdom of Gandalf and the desires of Frodo. This shows his humility and lack of pride.

In his moment of great need in Mordor he calls out for help in elvish which he does not speak, but because he is humble and pure of heart his desire to help Frodo finds voice. Frodo and the ring would never have made it to the cracks of doom without Sam. In fact, I think Sam might have thrown the ring in himself.

When he participates in the rescue of the Shire and then becomes mayor at the end of the books his character remains pure of heart, honest, and loyal but has grown in wisdom and leadership. When the time comes he can see Frodo off at the Grey Havens with sadness but not despair. Though Sam character remains humble he stands on shore with Merry and Pippin as equal not as servant.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:54 PM   #15
Talking Hawk
Pile O'Bones

Talking Hawk has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

(Kind of wants to cry. . .) Oh, that was beautiful! (whimpers)

Can you give my eulogy...........uh, sixty or so years from now? =)
Merry shrugged his shoulders. “It could be a love triangle. Like about a week ago, I was in love with Angela AND Estella, but then I decided to break it off with Angela…” He sighed dreamily, but Pippin lifted an eyebrow. “Angela thought your name was Timothy,” he pointed out innocently, and Merry glared at him. “It could happen to anybody…” - Excerpt from my "Three Blind Spies" story (see fanfic section)
Talking Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 01:22 AM   #16
Owain son of Urien
Pile O'Bones

Owain son of Urien has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] IWASgoing to write something longer, until I read what greyhavener HAS written. Now there's no need. I'll just add that I believe that it's the HOBBITS who represent 'ordinary people'in LoTR's, and Sam is the archetype. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: Owain son of Urien ]
Owain son of Urien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 01:47 AM   #17
Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Eye

All of you are right.Frodo couldn't have done it with out the help of Sam, but personaly i fell in love with another character: LEGOLAS GREENLEAF(ORLANDO BLOOM)
Old 07-20-2002, 07:29 PM   #18
AragornsHeir
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Who didn't fall in love with Legolas? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
He is SOOOOOOOOO HOT! Anyway. Man! GreyHavens thank you for that. I couldn't have said it better myself. I like how you said 'a wisdom he didn't know he was capable of' because Sam meant nothing to me but another adorable hobbit like all the others until he began to find that knowledge let alone courage.

Talking Hawk I didn't mean Sam was gay but I have always thought that you can fall in love with someone or something without physical attraction but. Sam was 'in love' with Frodo's strengths and thus made him such a close friend. Many people see others for their weaknesses unlike Sam who generally sees the opposite. That's what I meant if you didn't quite catch my meaning.
I'm loveing all this feedback. If only I could get this many posts when I want and Elvish translation. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2002, 08:33 PM   #19
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I kindof fell in love with sam. He is a great guy. Oh by the way people, this is the Books not the Movie, I think we should try and focus on the character from the book. I don't think that it says anywhere that Sam or Frodo, or Legolas, are hot.

One thing that I haven't seen here yet is that Frodo, though he seemed very weak, he was under enormous pressure, the ring was starting to take control. He was tired and hungry, had been beaten by orcs, bitten by spiders... Some of these things Sam also experienced, but not all. What I am trying to say is that Sam is great, and so is Frodo. Had their possitions been reversed, I believe that Frodo would have done the same.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:36 PM   #20
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I kindof fell in love with sam. He is a great guy. Oh by the way people, this is the Books not the Movie, I think we should try and focus on the character from the book. I don't think that it says anywhere that Sam or Frodo, or Legolas, are hot.

One thing that I haven't seen here yet is that Frodo, though he seemed very weak, he was under enormous pressure, the ring was starting to take control. He was tired and hungry, had been beaten by orcs, bitten by spiders... Some of these things Sam also experienced, but not all. What I am trying to say is that Sam is great, and so is Frodo. Had their possitions been reversed, I believe that Frodo would have done the same.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:52 AM   #21
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Eye

I honostly dont think there is anything else u can say about sam that hasent been said but, he is the best, no one would be anywhere without him, i mean he not only saved frodo so many times hes compassionate and cares about other things, samwise is the best char in Lotr, and i dont know this is goin to far but ill get into fights with people when they say sam is weak or such, how can someone say that about sam
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 01:04 AM   #22
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Sting

tee-hee, that was cute. Ok, Sam is awesome, but I still think he's a dork, but listening to you all, i realize he is more than a dork, but a brave dork that helps frodo destroy the ring...lol, I love them both! But, Frodo is the best by far...mmm...sssssss...
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:31 AM   #23
The Archer

Sting

I didn't fall in love for Sam, but he made me extremly gratefull for the wonderfull friends I already have.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:46 AM   #24
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Sam. Everything a hobbit should be, and more. I don't know exactly know when it happened but somewhere in TTT I fell in love with him. I loved the way he talked and acted. He was brave but I loved him more for his person at heart then the couragious hobbit that became part of him. He just loved a good meal and a pipe. And tending the garden. He did everything for Frodo and he made Lotr what it was. I don't think I would have loved the books as much without him.

That's why I choose this user name [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
<---------------------------
I'm jealous of the real Rose.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:17 PM   #25
AragornsHeir
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Yes, let's keep with the books. Amen Rose Cotton.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:38 PM   #26
ColletteTook
Shade of Carn Dûm

ColletteTook has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to ColletteTook Send a message via AIM to ColletteTook
1420!

What I really loved about Sam in the books besides a list of things i could go on and on and on about, but my most FAVORITE thing about him, was how he always had an unwitting sense of humor and HOPE.

Quote:
Well Mr.Frodo we have landed ourselves in a pickle,no mistake!
Hehe! Does anyone remeber his hilarious song about Tom Bombadil and the mountain troll?
Old 10-22-2002, 07:42 PM   #27
Ike

Thumbs up

Yeah! Thumbs up for Sam. Only thumbs up isn't enough.
All the thumbs in Heaven and Earth raised
For Samwise Gamgee Worthiest of All
People said 'Sam is cool!'
And their friends said 'Yes he Is!'
Thumbs up for Sam!
Toes up for Sam!
All things be raised
For this Finest of Hobbits
and Really Really Cool Dude [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] !!!
Old 10-22-2002, 08:49 PM   #28
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
1420!

I agree Samis the Man! I'm sadly still on the 3rd and finally book. I think it was so sad when Frodo made Sam cry. It almost put me in tears. Sam is soo nice to Frodo! I really admire Sam for his bravory!
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 10:54 PM   #29
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I wonder how much of Sam's character "just happened" as Tolkien was writing the book. I mean, since as Rose Cotton said, it happens somewhere in TTT that he starts to stand out, I wonder if Tolkien started out not differentiating between Merry, Pippin and Sam as the "sidekick hobbits".

While Pippin is the one you could say I "fell in love with", there is of course that marked difference between the duo of Merry and Pippin and that of Sam.

What I'm trying to say (not very clearly, grr) is that I wonder if part of Sam's "wonderfulness" is because his character grew so from the begininng to the end of the book without Tolkien really planning on him being the hero. FotR mainly tells everything from Frodo's viewpoint, but TTT and RotK are almost all Sam.

The question that comes to my mind is this: "Is it possible to conciously create a character like Sam?"

We know that Faramir came unbidden to Tolkien's mind, but did the same happen with Sam? Did Tolkien start out with Frodo and his three sidekicks, then Sam gradually became the devoted, indispensible friend that he is? How much of the Sam we all know and love was predetermined, and how much was sheer inspiration? I just wonder. It makes sense that the best characters are the ones that seem to have lives of their own, so that the author feels he/she is no longer creating, but simply chronicling this "person".

(BTW, at certain moments I did marvel at his devotion to Frodo, but on comtemplation, I don't find it dog-like [in a bad way, anyway] or dorky. I also think it's a shame that some readers today have the mindset of love = sexual attraction, which mars the understanding of Sam's selfless love for Frodo.)
Old 10-23-2002, 12:07 AM   #30
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Diamond - I've wondered that about Sam as well, whether he just started "growing" as Tolkien wrote about him. This is largely because if you go back and read the beginning of FOTR after finishing the trilogy, seeing Sam is a real shock; he's definitely much more the boilerplate Comic Servant, complete with the accent and the just-a-little-slow approach to understanding things (he's still very well-written, of course, but still much more to pattern with the goofy servants who have existed in Eng Lit from time immemorial). At the end he still has the mannerisms, but there's so much more to him that they're almost invisible. Of course, in large part these qualities were brought out by the hardships he went through, but it's still easy to believe that Sam's developing qualities were as much of a surprise to his creator as they were to Sam himself [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

And yes, I became very fond of Sam when I first read the books, and he was definitely my favorite character (well, co-favorite - I tend not to count Frodo in these rankings because OF COURSE he had the hardest time, etc etc). Later on, though, I got to like Merry almost as much, though for very different reasons. Nowadays I'd say it's a four-way tie between Merry, Sam, Faramir and Eowyn. (Not to slight Pippin; give me another ten years and he'll probably have ascended to be the favorite).
Old 10-23-2002, 06:29 AM   #31
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Shield

Sam is the best!! Yes, I loved him a he inspired me to try to be a better friend. One day during math class I was thinking about Sam and decided to draw a crest for him. It ended up with two hearts conected with a chain that had The Ring on it. Between the heart was a flame.((originaly the flame was in a frying pan [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] bur I erased it)) I cry when I read about sam fight Shelob! *sniff* and let's not forget that Sam DID bear the ring for a little while, but realy he was the Frodo bearer!!
Old 10-23-2002, 08:51 PM   #32
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Plus he's really good looking in the movie... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 10:19 PM   #33
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
I tend not to count Frodo in these rankings because OF COURSE he had the hardest time, etc etc
I do that too, Kalimac. Sometimes as I'm saying how much I like Sam, Merry and (esp.) Pippin, I have a moment of guilt and feel like I'm one of those Hobbits who "ignored" Frodo after he got back to the Shire. But then I think "Well, of course I appreciate Frodo, it's just that..."

Tolkien himself said that "Frodo is not so interesting, because he has to be high-minded....The book will prob. end up with Sam." (Letter 93)

Ain't that the truth!
Old 10-24-2002, 08:50 PM   #34
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I first saw the movie and read the book it was all about Frodo. I thought he was the best. He suffered so much and did the most encredible things and because of this first love of Frodo I also loved Sam for all he was to Frodo " the Frodo bearer" (great quote). The second time I read the LotR books I was able to appreciate all the characters better, so picking a fav is too hard. sam is the all time best friend ever and I wish a Sam for all. I guess we all wnat this since so many speak of his qualities wether they like him best or not.
Old 10-27-2002, 03:14 PM   #35
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

That was a very interesting thought, Diamond 18, and I agree with all that you and Kalimac have written!

Sam has always been my favourite character, I guess because none of the other characters reveal so much of their thoughts and feelings to the reader. That`s why we really can share his emotions.
His faithful, devoted love for his master is for me one of the most touching things in the book. (I guess such devotion , and such a character is hardly to be found anymore nowadays...)
The tears always rise in my eyes when I read "The choices of Master Samwise". Sam is so humble and yet so brave! He doesn`t trust his own judgement, but instinctively he (nearly) always does the right thing.

I`m just reading JRRT`s letters, and recently found the following:
"read the last 2 chapters (Shelob`s lair and the Choices of Master Samwise) to C.S.Lewis on Monday morning. He approved with unusual fervour, and was actually affected to tears by the last chapter" (#72, 1944)

Well, I needn`dt be ashamed of my tears, then!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2002, 03:18 PM   #36
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
1420!

The first time I read the Lord of the Rings, Sam was my absolute favorite character. Its definitely his faithfulness and servitude. I really admire him for that.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote