The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
elbenprincess
Haunting Spirit

elbenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
dagor dagorath

It is said that at the time of the last battle all elves are no longer visible to man, but how is it than possible that elves are included in the battles? It is a inconsistence, isn´t it?
And if all elves would be invisible that would mean that at a early point no children would be born, cause it would take a lot of time for an elf to become invisible and it is a really sad thought that in valinor would be no elven children.

Another question about children and child bearing, is it for an elven women at a certain point no longer possible to bear a children? I heard that it is more difficult for an elven women to bear a child than for a mortal women, because of her spirit, the child takes a lot of the spirit, is that right? So could a 10.000 years elven women bear a child?
elbenprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbenprincess View Post
It is said that at the time of the last battle all elves are no longer visible to man, but how is it than possible that elves are included in the battles? It is a inconsistence, isn´t it?
And if all elves would be invisible that would mean that at a early point no children would be born, cause it would take a lot of time for an elf to become invisible and it is a really sad thought that in valinor would be no elven children.[/QUOTE]
I think the thing about Elves becoming invisible (more properly known as Fading) refers to those lingering in Middle-earth in the Fourth and following Ages, not to those in the Undying Lands of Valinor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbenprincess
Another question about children and child bearing, is it for an elven women at a certain point no longer possible to bear a children? I heard that it is more difficult for an elven women to bear a child than for a mortal women, because of her spirit, the child takes a lot of the spirit, is that right? So could a 10.000 years elven women bear a child?
IIRC Laws and Customs says that Elves tended to have children early in their lives and lose interest for (and therefore, maybe, capability of) procreation later; so I'd guess an elf-woman bearing a child at 10.000+ would be exceptional.
As for the child consuming a lot of the mother's spirit, that was the case with Miriel and Fëanor, but that was rather exceptional; Nerdanel had seven sons without being any the worse for it.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yes, and just to add...

The text titled (long version!) Of The Laws And Customs Among The Eldar Pertaining To Marriage And Other Matters Related Thereto: Together With The Statute Of Finwe And Miriel And The Debate Of The Valar At Its Making (published in Morgoth's Ring) notes that, with respect to the Eldar (and as the Eldar say): in the begetting and bearing of children, greater share and strength of their being, in mind and body, goes forth than in the making of mortal children, and...

'For with regard to generation the power and the will are not among the Eldar distinguishable. Doubtless they would retain for many ages the power of generation, if the will and desire were not satisfied; but with the exercise of the power the desire soon ceases, and the mind turns to other things' (there is a variant in 'version A' of this description, incidentally).

By the way elbenprincess, what happened to the post (in German I think) concerning Galadriel (posted 'elsewhere' fairly recently)? I was trying to translate it...

... before it faded
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
elbenprincess
Haunting Spirit

elbenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
@ galin, oh yes, it was a mistake, a embarrassing mistake I thought I posted in a german forum
elbenprincess is offline   Reply With Quote