The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #1
CaptainFaramir13
Newly Deceased

CaptainFaramir13 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring The One Ring and split personalities

I am sorry if this has been discussed before but I could not seem to find anything, also I think this is in the right place, sorry if it is not.

I was thinking about Gollum today, and I thought of something that I had never thought of before. It seems that the whole Gollum persona of Sméagol’s personality is there because of the Ring. Does the Ring create a new personality in people? Perhaps this is a part of its corruption process, that it takes the darkness within you and strengthens it until it develops into a personality of its own, a personality completely dependent on the Ring. So could anyone who has the Ring long enough develop the secondary personality like Gollum/Sméagol? Are there any signs of a secondary personality developing, due to the Ring, in other characters?

If so, would the Ring-generated personality be the same as the Gollum personality, or would it be different depending on the person? I would think it would be different as the Ring tempts different people with different things. It would seem that if you had the Ring long enough the personality it develops remains even in the Ring’s absence, as the Gollum persona is still there even though he no longer has the Ring. I thought this would make an interesting first topic, so what do you guys think? Does the Ring create a new personality in others, or is Gollum unique is this regard? Did the Ring create the Gollum personality or is it simply exploiting it?
CaptainFaramir13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quite an interesting topic, I think. Gollum is the only long-term Ring-bearer who actively used the Ring on a consistent basis, so much of this is speculation.

It seems to me that the Ring called to whatever "dark" component of the keeper's personality it could use. I think Gollum already was of a divided mind when he came under the Ring's influence, at least if his account of its being found by Déagol was accurate.

Quote:
' "Give us that, Déagol, my love," said Sméagol, over his friend's shoulder.
' "Why?" said Déagol.
' "Because it's my birthday, my love, and I wants it," said Sméagol.'
FOTR The Shadow of the Past (emphasis mine)

Gollum there switched from referring to himself in the plural, then to the singular. I don't see any reason why Gandalf would have put words in Gollum's mouth, so I would consider those his actual words.

As for the reason for Gollum's apparent division, I could only posit that even Hobbits were capable of being mentally "off", and maybe Gollum's problem stemmed from a conflict between his humble, family-driven Hobbit nature, and his incessant curiosity that could already have led him to clashes with kin. The murder of Déagol could have exacerbated the condition, with Sméagol wanting to distance himself from the "actual" killer, Gollum.

Last edited by Inziladun; 03-23-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Let's not forget that Gollum has also spent literally centuries basically on his own in his cave with absolutely no one to talk to. He wouldn't be the first time isolated indivisual to develop an alter ego just to have someone to talk to. And since Hobbits are already higly social enteties, that probably made the compuction even worse.
That being said, I thinke there may actually be some sort of tendency in the ring to split personalities. Consider Frodo's behavior as the ring took him over vis a vis any time he thoght the ring was in peril. He went all the way from normal gentle Frodo to a near homicidal maniac almost instantly. And while he "faded" as the burden got heavier (with regards to his hope and his memories of the better time he was figting to preserve) we really saw no "middle ground" Frodo; one whom was partially under the rings power, but not totally. When the ring took him over, it was almost like flipping a switch, he turned all the way to fully posessed in a heartbeat. Even Sam when he took the ring bsically went from thought of his garden to thoughts of being a world conquering warlord almost at once.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
I thinke there may actually be some sort of tendency in the ring to split personalities. Consider Frodo's behavior as the ring took him over vis a vis any time he thoght the ring was in peril. He went all the way from normal gentle Frodo to a near homicidal maniac almost instantly. And while he "faded" as the burden got heavier (with regards to his hope and his memories of the better time he was figting to preserve) we really saw no "middle ground" Frodo; one whom was partially under the rings power, but not totally. When the ring took him over, it was almost like flipping a switch, he turned all the way to fully posessed in a heartbeat. Even Sam when he took the ring bsically went from thought of his garden to thoughts of being a world conquering warlord almost at once.
Yet we don't see Frodo or Sam referring to themselves in the plural. The Ring acting on one's darker side is hardly the same as an actual "split personality" like Gollum exhibited, in which two sides of the psyche were apparently at odds, and even spoke to one another.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
CaptainFaramir13
Newly Deceased

CaptainFaramir13 has just left Hobbiton.
It is true that Gollum's isolation could be a cause of the split personality. However, there are those instances where the Ring seems to cause a change in behavior in others. Perhaps these moments of the Ring acting on the darker side of the person is how it begins to create a new personality in them. If the Ring is creating a new personality I don’t think they would start referring to themselves in plural right away. But perhaps after years of changing personality between the normal-self and the Ring-influenced-self the Ring side starts to develop its own voice which is where the referring to oneself in plural thing begins.
CaptainFaramir13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Ring is an ultimately evil will and it tries to dominate every other will or power that comes in its contact. Bilbo also shows signs of split personality, when Gandalf asks him for the Ring; and those signs indicate him to be like Gollum. Frodo develops a spilt personality as well-- a hostile one somewhat like Gollum himself.
Ring works as a catalyst to your own evil/dark side amplifying it to be Evil. Bilbo, Frodo and Sam and Merry don't become Evil because of their inherent goodness. Hobbits' simplicity is another reason for this.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 AM   #7
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFaramir13 View Post
I am sorry if this has been discussed before but I could not seem to find anything, also I think this is in the right place, sorry if it is not.

I was thinking about Gollum today, and I thought of something that I had never thought of before. It seems that the whole Gollum persona of Sméagol’s personality is there because of the Ring. Does the Ring create a new personality in people? Perhaps this is a part of its corruption process, that it takes the darkness within you and strengthens it until it develops into a personality of its own, a personality completely dependent on the Ring. So could anyone who has the Ring long enough develop the secondary personality like Gollum/Sméagol? Are there any signs of a secondary personality developing, due to the Ring, in other characters?

If so, would the Ring-generated personality be the same as the Gollum personality, or would it be different depending on the person? I would think it would be different as the Ring tempts different people with different things. It would seem that if you had the Ring long enough the personality it develops remains even in the Ring’s absence, as the Gollum persona is still there even though he no longer has the Ring. I thought this would make an interesting first topic, so what do you guys think? Does the Ring create a new personality in others, or is Gollum unique is this regard? Did the Ring create the Gollum personality or is it simply exploiting it?
My reading of The Ring's influence was that there was a metaphysical component to that, on one dimension of influence. As I understand what 'evil' meant in this context, some kind of dimension or vulnerability in the mortal mind is amplified. I read somewhere that during the transformation phase for The Nine, the Ringbearer's mind became prone to hearing/experiencing phantoms of thought, from Sauron's mind, and that the bearer lost the capacity to discern that the phantoms were not his own thoughts. Over time, the new, growing personality subsumed or subverted or obliterated the original more empathic personality.

On a more ordinary level, and in reflecting upon Sméagol/Gollum, Gollum's psychology was that of the predator/sociopath, to borrow modern language. So, yes, I suspect that The Ring amplifies the already mortal tendency to behave in deviant ways, or in callous disregard of others. That is the amorality of the self-serving being, driven by lust, greed and who has a mind where others are experienced as objects. That's another way of saying he had no empathy. If we think about Sauron for a moment, he was the archetypal sadistic psychopath, whose primary reinforcers were greed, lust and power. He tortured wantonly to get information, took pleasure in scaring people, got off on his Orc 'super race' taking over the world, and didn't give a rat's backside about betraying Elves and mortals. I read somewhere that when Sauron got his Nine servants that his lust and greed grew. I also remember reading about Sauron that at the end of the First Age, when Eonwe came with the Host of the Valar, that "Sauron lied even to himself" promising reform and acting contrite. And that without "supervision" or without the beating arm of the Valar containing him, he "fell back into evil ways". Did Sauron have any capacity for Empathy? Did he grieve, or feel fear or suffer just before the end? Is he worth compassion from others?

We also speak of "Sauron ensnaring" people, by seducing them with appeals to power. Tolkien had a bit of a perverted head, if you ask me, in what must have been some fear of himself on some level, I suspect. I do think though, that he tapped into something about human nature, and as we might say 'power corrupts' and 'absolute power corrupts absolutely'. So, I believe that Sauron was 'propagating' and extending his influence, by enslaving others to their vices, and that was how the appearance of Gollum's new personality was effected.

Last edited by Ivriniel; 04-09-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I do think though, that he tapped into something about human nature, and as we might say 'power corrupts' and 'absolute power corrupts absolutely'.

Yes, but I think there is also a 'Tolkien corollary' to Acton: "power attracts the corruptible." Smeagol was already dishonest and mean before the Ring ever came out of the Anduin mud; Saruman was already arrogant and brooked no rivals when he stepped off the boat.

As for a 'ring-persona'- Hmmm. Good question. It does appear that Boromir was 'not himself' when he tried to take it from Frodo. It might well be said that the Ring amplifies and grows the "Morgoth-element" already present in every person in Arda Marred.