The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #121
Smug the Fabulous
Pile O'Bones

Smug the Fabulous has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Let’s get back to the original question, “Should Aragorn have placed Gandalf under arrest?”

The answer seems clear: yes. Yes, he should have. For then, instead of further tedious footslogging, we could have had an awesome fantasy cop show, featuring Aragorn as the Middle-earth equivalent of the angry police captain!
I've been thinking more along the lines of CSI: Arda, with Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas going around solving crimes every week.

LEGOLAS: Well, we stopped that crazy wizard from leading us into the mines of Moria.

GIMLI: Good thing you had the foresight to arrest Gandalf while you did, Aragorn.

ARAGORN: I don't like to brag but you could say on the matter of not entering Khazad-dûm, we nearly walked into our...dûm.

(Puts on sunglasses)

YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

LEGOLAS: ...what?

ARAGORN: What?

GIMLI: Is that the best pun you could come up with?

ARAGORN: Well, you know...the words doom and Khazad-dûm and...I thought-

GIMLI: Go have a lie down, Aragorn.

ARAGORN: Er, well...yeah, okay.
"It is everywhere. It is everything. Its scales glisten in the bark of trees. Its roar is heard in the wind. And its forked tongue strikes like... *lightning strikes* whoa! Like lightning!"-Merlin, Excalibur(1981)
Old 08-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #122
Moonraker
Banned

Moonraker has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smug the Fabulous View Post
I've been thinking more along the lines of CSI: Arda, with Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas going around solving crimes every week.

LEGOLAS: Well, we stopped that crazy wizard from leading us into the mines of Moria.

GIMLI: Good thing you had the foresight to arrest Gandalf while you did, Aragorn.

ARAGORN: I don't like to brag but you could say on the matter of not entering Khazad-dûm, we nearly walked into our...dûm.

(Puts on sunglasses)

YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

LEGOLAS: ...what?

ARAGORN: What?

GIMLI: Is that the best pun you could come up with?

ARAGORN: Well, you know...the words doom and Khazad-dûm and...I thought-

GIMLI: Go have a lie down, Aragorn.

ARAGORN: Er, well...yeah, okay.
This is getting silly and immature. Not long before the mods delete this. It is not what responsible posters do. Certainly not Ivy League or Russell Group material.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #123
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Come on people. Let's get back on track or I'm just going to shut the thread down.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #124
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Arrest of the situation whereby Aragorn takes command of the Company and the quest, and Gandalf is sidelined, is an example of how it may have panned out.
Aragorn was already leading the Company. He told Gandalf that he almost lead them to their doom when they were considering Moria.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #125
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
It's always sad to see a situation end this way. At the end of the day they're only books, and there's enough strife in the world without people getting up in arms over fiction. Ah, well.

Anyway, it seems obvious that neither Aragorn nor any other member of the Fellowship had the desire to stop following Gandalf, no matter the misgivings about their situation. He was the de facto leader from the start, and that too was never in question.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #126
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
It's always sad to see a situation end this way. At the end of the day they're only books, and there's enough strife in the world without people getting up in arms over fiction. Ah, well.

Anyway, it seems obvious that neither Aragorn nor any other member of the Fellowship had the desire to stop following Gandalf, no matter the misgivings about their situation. He was the de facto leader from the start, and that too was never in question.
Look at the bright side, Gandalf is now safe from arrest or being bitten to death by Farmer Maggot's vicious dogs. It's a win-win situation.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:45 AM   #127
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil
Indeed. But it was probably doomed from the start– I suspect ”Moonraker" of really being a sock puppet account for a certain troll who was banned a few years back.

The Barrow-Wight Himself has ordered us all to get back on track– only, what is "on track", at this point?
Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #128
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Indeed. But it was probably doomed from the start– I suspect ”Moonraker" of really being a sock puppet account for a certain troll who was banned a few years back.
You may be right.

Quote:
The Barrow-Wight Himself has ordered us all to get back on track– only, what is "on track", at this point?
As far as this thread is concerned, its premise was settled for me from the get go.