The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

R.R.J Tolkien has just left Hobbiton.
Lord of the Rings Total war?

"Christopher Tolkien, son and literary heir of J.R.R. Tolkien, resigned from the Tolkien Estate. And his departure changes everything.....With Christopher’s departure as an officer of the Tolkien Estate (which was incorporated in 2011), the long-awaited “rights frenzy” for Tolkien properties may soon begin,”
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2017...olkien-estate/

Christopher Tolkien has retired and the rights of the Tolkien estate are up for grabs. Perfect time for CA to make a Lord of the Rings total war. Or, to work with Warner Bros to make a LOTR total war. They have worked together before.

SEGA PARTNERS WITH WARNER BROS.
https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/ne...matrix-online”

Why Lord of the Rings Total war?

Tolkien carries the largest fantasy fan base only expanded by the movies that could be brought into the total war series. A match made in haven. As someone who has not played a total war game since empire, this would get me back into total war. Lord of the Rings is the best selling fantasy book of all time. The Hobbit is the third best fantasy seller. Besides the Bible, LOTR is the third best selling book of all time, the Hobbit is 8th on the all time list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...-selling_books
https://jamesclear.com/best-books/best-selling

The world created by Tolkien would fit perfect for the next fantasy total war game. Lord of the Rings provides what Total war needs.

- Large fan base already present
- Multiple diverse factions with both challenges and bonuses for each
- Hugh map of Middle Earth with diverse terrain and battle maps
- Large numbers of diverse units and forces for epic battles
- Large castles for epic siege battles
- Hero's of legend with special abilities
-Agents, spies, assassins, diplomats etc
- Battle over land, sea and air
- Economy and trade
-Expansions and DLC could be done on the first and second ages

It is not surprising that the most awarded, most downloaded , mod ever made for a total war game is the third age mod.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-Age-Total-War

Since this mod was done for medieval 2 and was a mod, it had major setbacks. But it shows the poetical for what a CA done Lord of the Rings total war would be, it would simply be the "One game to rule them all"

However there is an irrefutable reason CA needs to make middle earth total war. Tolkien was from England, CA is based in England. Tolkien made LOTR so England could have its own fantasy [like the Norse epics]. Therefore , out of sheer duty and patriotism, CA must know make the video game for England. Or else CA have no right to be called Brits.

If you want a lord of the rings total war, send an email to CA.
https://www.creative-assembly.com/contact
R.R.J Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
The Eye

Oh, it's war, all right.

I've started breeding Warbats already.

That'll teach 'em.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R.J Tolkien View Post
If you want a lord of the rings total war, send an email to CA.
https://www.creative-assembly.com/contact
If I send them an email, it will say nothing of the kind. Being based in England doesn't mean they will take any more care with the source material than a developer operating from Argentina, or Turkmenistan.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
If I send them an email, it will say nothing of the kind. Being based in England doesn't mean they will take any more care with the source material than a developer operating from Argentina, or Turkmenistan.
Pfah, what could possibly go wrong? Don't you want to play as Osse-worshipping dwarves trying to finalise a marriage-alliance with the Ents in order to fend off the invasion of Morgoth's sorcerous eagles?

It's not an uninteresting idea in principle. But the Total War idea of changing history doesn't sit well with a narrative like LotR - or worse, the Silmarillion! What good is the First Age when you get to throw out all the Wars of the Jewels and write your own? It just becomes Generic Fantasyland: The Battlefield.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
What good is the First Age when you get to throw out all the Wars of the Jewels and write your own? It just becomes Generic Fantasyland: The Battlefield.
Exactly. You could have the game taking place in the Land of Coridial, 10,000 years ago, and lose nothing as far as gameplay.

However, as R.R.J. made clear, sticking a Tolkien connection on it gives it a huge jump on moneymaking potential. At least I can stop them getting my silver pennies for it.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
true but mods can.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

Yes I agree with the concerns over lore accuracy. but I guess i always assumed I would play a fully lore accurate mod [assuming there are faults, likely would be] possibly even be involved in one.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #8
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

contact games workshop let them know you want a lotrtw

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/Contact-Us