The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 03:04 PM   #1
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Question Who Do You Agree With?

Éomer or Gimli? Who's more beautiful (in the movie), Arwen or Galadriel?<P>I say Galadriel....
Old 11-30-2002, 03:35 PM   #2
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I don't think that's really a fair argument. Galadriel's only like a third or fourth Generation elf, so she's going to have a kind of dignity about her, and of course, she's going to be beautiful. But Arwen's beautiful too, partially because she's so (relatively) young. I have to say Galadriel too, but only because I like taking Gimli's side
Old 11-30-2002, 04:04 PM   #3
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Well it is hard to disagree w/Gimli but Liv Tyler is ****ing beautiful so i'd say Arwen is more beautiful, but that is just the movie we're talking about. If you argue with the book, I'd probably say Galadriel.

-Willie
Old 11-30-2002, 04:05 PM   #4
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Kill Arwen! Galadriel all the way! Go Gimli!
Old 11-30-2002, 04:07 PM   #5
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hmm....the Downs, overwhelmingly pro-Galadriel?<P>C'mon, Arwen-lovers, show yourselves! Liv Tyler needs your support!
Old 11-30-2002, 04:20 PM   #6
kiara

Sting

Brunette's rule, I'm sorry....up with Arwen!

Old 11-30-2002, 04:22 PM   #7
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

DOWN WITH ARWEN!! Mwahahahahahaha! Where's Gimli's axe!
Old 11-30-2002, 04:31 PM   #8
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Slow with a come back are we?
Old 11-30-2002, 04:36 PM   #9
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Come off it, Durelin, it's only been 11 minutes!<p>[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: Manwe Sulimo ]
Old 11-30-2002, 04:37 PM   #10
kiara

Sting

Laugh! Yeah, I can't think of a good one, so I think I'll just have to have my husband beat you up...or something childish like that.

Old 11-30-2002, 04:43 PM   #11
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

I'm sorry, didn't know I was speaking to a married woman! Hmmm...I'll try and think of one for myself! Only 11 minutes! Uh huh. Arwen is a bimbo. And Liv Tyler is even more of one. The End Dum dum DUM!
Old 11-30-2002, 04:50 PM   #12
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yeah, I usually like dark-haired women more...but Cate Blanchett is just beautiful in the movie.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:56 PM   #13
kiara

Sting

yep. married, AND a brunette at that...<P>but really, i don't necessarily like Liv, and i actually really DO like Cate, but if we seperate our personal feelings from who they are in real life, and if we are relating only to how they look in the movie:<BR> 1. i think "Arwen" has much better color (pink in her cheeks and red in her lips etc...she just looks more alive)<BR>whereas:<BR> 2. galadriel looks almost spectral (but then, I am talking to a bunch of wights aren't I? what was I thinking!!!)

Old 11-30-2002, 05:01 PM   #14
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

That's what my dad thought. I HATE Liv Tyler's voice! It's so airy and bimbo-y (new word) is it supposed to be sexy or something? It's just annoying. Ugh! I don't come off things very quickly do I? Here is another example of my "not coming off" if you're bored check it out. Really bored. Really really bored. I mean it, don't waste your time if you're not bored. Okay, okay here it is.<P><A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001650" TARGET=_blank>LOTR meets South Park</A>
Old 11-30-2002, 05:05 PM   #15
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Well, I'll admit, it's just the movie Arwen I don't like. They made her character too important in the movie. I liked her better in the book just sitting around and looking pretty. Wish Glorfindel could've taken her place like in the book. Oh well, but we're talking about looks aren't we! Blonds rock. Brunettes are fine but, blonds just get too much crap from those stinkin blond jokes and "blond moments" I know more red head and brunette (no offense) ditzs than blond ones. Okay, stay on looks. It's hard when you're a girl.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:09 PM   #16
kiara

Sting

I TOTALLY agree with the bimbo-y voice thing. Especially when she's all freaking about about Frodo nearly leaving the mortal world, can you remember the way her voice cracks and gets all hysterical? Nope, not sexy, not cool. Cate's dramatic interpretation of Galadriel is much better, in my mind, but she is NOT the prettier elf in the movie. so there...(laugh).

Old 11-30-2002, 05:14 PM   #17
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Thankyou! THE END!
Old 11-30-2002, 05:56 PM   #18
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always agree with Gimli. It's not incredibly wise not to.<P>But seriously, I didn't really like either of them in the movie. I was just irritated with Arwen's role in general, and I thought that Cate Blanchett was too mean. I thought of Galadriel as very sad, very gentle. Cate Blanchett's accusing voice when she said "I know what it is you saw..." rubbed me the wrong way. (I can't get over that comic..."you dirty little hobbit!" LoL!) But all in all, I prefer Galadriel--movie and book.<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-30-2002, 06:29 PM   #19
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Funny thread. I got to say Galadriel.<p>[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: -Imrahil- ]
Old 11-30-2002, 06:50 PM   #20
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"Funny"? My thread? "Funny"????<P>*Breaks down and cries*<P>This was supposed to be so...<I>serious</I>....<P>Now I'm depressed.<P>Well, we'll just have to see how Liv is in TTT and RotK. (Here's to hoping she <I>isn't</I> in RotK more than she should be).
Old 11-30-2002, 08:11 PM   #21
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK, I vote for Arwen Liv Tyler is cute...
Old 11-30-2002, 08:23 PM   #22
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

People, as much as we hate Arwen's extended roll, she needs to stay alive, okay? Where would Aragorn be without her? Gimli was going to kill Eomer, remember? Not the future queen of Gondor. <P>I don't think Galadriel was too mean. Did you see the extended DVD? She laughed when she gave Gimli his gift, and I thought she looked very gentle and kind. Anyway, I just had to defend Arwen a bit there, even though I still vote for Galadriel.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:25 PM   #23
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Kill Arwen? Erm, I doubt Aragorn would like that very much... Anyways you can't really compare them. Galadriel <I>is</I> Arwen's grandma after all!
Old 12-01-2002, 03:48 AM   #24
Orodoliel
Haunting Spirit

Orodoliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think in the Films Galadriel is far more beautiful.<P>But that's maybe only because Liv Tyler's voice annoys me.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:20 AM   #25
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Call me crazy but I think I am more attracted to Eowyn than the others. Maybe because I prefer the down to earth look more.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
Old 12-01-2002, 08:05 AM   #26
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Actually, I like Éowyn second-best (for looks), especially in the trailer shot when she's wearing that little crown-thingy. Maybe they have conflicting versions of attractive....Galadriel was beautiful, Arwen was hot, and Éowyn is cute....
Old 12-01-2002, 02:35 PM   #27
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Yeah, Eowyn's awesome. Ooooo. If I kill Arwen, Aragorn might kill himself! Two birds with one stone eh? Mwahahahahaha! Kidding! Just kidding! Should we add "agree with Faramir that Eowyn is the best" to the choices Manwe?
Old 12-01-2002, 02:40 PM   #28
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well, this was <I>supposed</I> to be between Gimli and Éomer....oh, well. Up with Faramir!
Old 12-01-2002, 04:09 PM   #29
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Sorry, didn't mean to disrupt your topic, I didn't start the Eowyn thing!
Old 12-01-2002, 05:18 PM   #30
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

If we based it on the movie, I like Cate Blanchett the best of all of the other actresses (i.e. Liv Tyler and Miranda Otto). I have seen her in more things and I think she is more attractive than either of the others.<P>In the books, I'd say I respect Galadriel, I feel for Arwen, and Eowyn gets my "Girl Power!" Spice Girls imitation. I like each one for a different reason. Emotionally and powerfully, Galadriel is the strongest. Arwen is the most sympathetic with her decision between her people and Aragorn. Eowyn is the one that goes against her society to gain power and succeeds. I believe each deserves a different respect. As I do not know what they looked like, really, I would guess that Galadriel was probably the fairest, with Arwen as a very close second. And, sorry to Eowyn, but how can she compete with the fair Elves, no matter how beautiful a woman she is?
Old 12-02-2002, 05:53 AM   #31
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli.... no wait, arwen.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Old 12-02-2002, 07:09 AM   #32
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mmmmmm very hard.....they are both very beautiful but in different ways while Arwen is young and youthful and full of colour, Galadriel is more beautiful in a dignified wise way.<BR>But since I prefer Eomer to Gimli.....go Arwen...only because of that though!<BR>--------------------<BR>Eomer and Faramir rock!!
Old 12-02-2002, 11:23 AM   #33
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Arwen she way way hotter in the film
Old 12-02-2002, 11:25 AM   #34
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arwen, in my opinion is much more beautiful in the film than Galadriel
Old 12-09-2002, 02:53 AM   #35
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

They're both beautiful in their own unique ways. However, I think Arwen's costumes are gorgeous, plus she has a SWORD! So I'd go with Arwen.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:11 AM   #36
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>but that is just the movie we're talking about. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well how is this forum called MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie? Take a guess. THE MOVIES. Din't get me wrong and don't feel offended it's just that a lot of people get lost in this beautifull website. I'm really a nice guy (and if you ask Maikadilwen i'm a little sick mided aswell)<P>To get back on the question at hand: Arwen is more beautifull, but she is played by a younger character so it would be unfair. This is more a question you should ask in the Books forum.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:13 AM   #37
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

I think Gimli outclases them all in looks
Old 12-10-2002, 05:53 PM   #38
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Gimli is pretty. Mwahahahahahaha! His axe is nice and shiny...I am attracted to shiny objects....
Old 12-10-2002, 06:31 PM   #39
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

No, seriously, Galadriel is the best and Gimli could kick Eomer's butt! This is becoming an interesting thread...is interesting the right word?<P>_______________________<P>Check this out: <A HREF="http://www.muffinfilms.com/" TARGET=_blank>Muffin Films</A> It's hilarious!
Old 12-11-2002, 01:45 AM   #40
elsye
Animated Skeleton

elsye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well, I'd like to think that the movie is suppose to be somewhat like the book, so I'm going to go ahead and say Arwen, for her comparison to Tinuviel. Anyways, I'm a brunette, and I think I'm gorgeous(so I'm biased)