The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-20-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting John Howe or Alan Lee which is your favorite?

just pick one and try to explain why.
Mione just happens to be John Howe because of his rigidness and he is good at the evil stuff.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:12 PM   #2
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

John Howe definitly. I love Alan Lee but John Howe's painting seem to be so much more relistic. They paint so diferntly but John Howe has this smoth kind of flow in his paintings that makes them look great because he uses these bright colors and it all stands out. Alan Lee uses darker color and it kinda looks like how Suerat paints with all the little dots.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

John Howe, because of the subjects of his paintings, and his style. It's just...what I imagine, on paper.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:34 PM   #4
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Alan Lee moves me. I love the "old style" look. His work looks like the vintage children's books I collect. Lee's illustrations have a light, fairy tale quality, while John Howe's strike me as slick shiny poster work. There is a "light" that radiates from the illustrations of Alan Lee that is comforting to me. Howe's work, often strikes me as somewhat slick, cold, and even cruel! To each his own. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 20, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 04-20-2003, 11:49 PM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

A discussion of Lee's and Howe's illustrations isn't limited to the movies, so I'm moving this thread to the Novices and Newcomers forum. Please continue there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 11:59 PM   #6
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I'm gonna have to go with John Howe. They're both great, but I really can't stand what Alan Lee did in the movies with Moria. I can't stand that geometrical thing he decided to do. And does anyone know who decided to have one of Gimli's axe's blades be sort of like a quarter circle? It kind of reminds me of that geometrical style Lee did, so I think it might be him. Which of course I don't like. However, I did like Lee's interpetation of Orthanc...

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 01:04 AM   #7
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

Both artists deem to be inspiring. However to pick a favourite from the two, i'd have to choose John Howe. Since the medium's and overall outcome of his works are fantastic. His use of water colour, designer inks and guoache for highlights are definitely something i can not achieve in my artworks, thus i admire his talent in illustration. His interpretations of Middle earth are very close to what i had imagined and interpreted from the decriptions in the books; especially the artworks Eowyn and the Nazgul and Elwig's Tower.
Furthermore for any artists who wish to ask questions to John, you can do so via his Official Forum. He will answer any of your enquiries regarding his work.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 02:00 AM   #8
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I seem to be in a minority, but I prefer Alan Lee (also, anyone seen his illustrations for the recent edition of The Mabinogion?).
I think the problem I have with John Howe, much as I love his work, is his emphasis on the 'darker' side of the mythology. I really disliked his 'pop-up' Hobbit. I don't think Tolkien would have chosen those subjects. He seemed to choose the darkest & ugliest parts of the story to illustrate. I do prefer Lee's more 'lyrical' approach. There is a kind of 'english' light & atmosphere which I feel captures the spirit of Tolkien's world.
Finally, am I the only one who hates the 'shiny' pristine ME of the Brothers Hildebrandt?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 02:56 AM   #9
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

MLD-GKW, If you see Lee's painting of Moria, it's nothing like the film, which I agree was a bit too square and "geometrical." However, I like the feel of a lot of lee's work, and while at first I didn't feel he drew characters very well, I've changed my mind. Howe's textures are very nice and smooth and bold, but I like Lee's designs more, most of the time--Howe's dragons and such look odd to me. Ted Nasmith also does some good stuff (caradhras), but he's not as good at characters, to me. Alan Lee gets the closest to what I like.
I really like the art, the interpretations, in the graphic-novel Hobbit (well, the elves look odd, but I don't care about elves... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ), though that's not the same catagory...
Old 04-22-2003, 06:04 AM   #10
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh man! The Hildebrandts can be so corny and goofy! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Some of their stuff looks like it came from the same page as The Three Little Pigs! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2003, 12:38 AM   #11
sigrid

Sting

John Howe is my personal favourite, though he is alot darker then Alan Lee. I also like his paintings about the scenes from Silmarillion. I wonder why there is no pictures about Feanor, he is, afterall, a very important character. Well, maybe he didnt mean much to the artists though. I had to mention also a very beautiful pictures of Karin Eissmann and a person called Darkmage who has a strangest style of mixing anime and art deco, but it works pretty well. Ohhyes, and he has portrayed Feanor. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2003, 02:49 AM   #12
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really like both of them. Some of my favourite pictures areThe Grey Wanderer and Smaugby John Howe (The grey wanderer is the cover of my LOTR book)
and by Alan Lee
Rivendell and The Mirror of Galadriel

But I think overall I like John Howe better, only by a bit though. I really didn't like the way Orthanc was, in the book it said it was smooth but in the movies it was all pointy and jagged and stuff.

[ April 23, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 04-23-2003, 01:20 PM   #13
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Ohh, good topic, I've been sorta waiting for someone to bring this up.
They're obviously the best Tolkien animators that I've seen, but I can't deside who's better. They both worked on the movie with set design, ohh, it's just too hard to pick. I'll think about it and come back.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:19 PM   #14
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Personally, I think I preferred Alan Lee. His illustrations just seem to have the lighter feel and to me, really captured Middle Earth. Saying that, I did like John Howe's illustration of Smaug.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:08 PM   #15
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
actually I quite like both, only I find john howe makes his colors a bit too bright, giving it a fantasy feel, while Alan Lee does his as we would a real structure, especially the Isengard one, I just love how he tones the sharpness of the black of the stone down with the fog surrounding the Tower giving it a surreal quality while at the same time making it totally believable.

Both artists pay close attention to detail (Alans Grima clutching a piece of wreakage and swimming towards the door of Orthanc, and Johns Smaug's claw scratches in the sand of his lair) and i absolutly love John's 'gate's of dread' and Alan's 'Rivendell'.

However I'm biased because I had a conversation with Alan Lee at the TTT premire
that lasted at least 15 minutes and we discussed artwork, Alan's and John's work on the film , Tolkien and all of his works.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with Alan Lee, because I tend to lean towards his works that little bit more (anyone seen his Helm's Deep, absolutly amazing) than John's and well, I got to talk to him dangit!!!!
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 08:37 PM   #16
Talon Stormcrow
Animated Skeleton

Talon Stormcrow has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think they are both wonderful artists but I prefer John Howe. I like the color scheme he uses and the way it comes to life for me. However the style that Alan Lee uses, as if its been painted long ago, is beautiful but i dont like the paleness of some of his paintings. I like color! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ April 26, 2003: Message edited by: Talon Stormcrow ]

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" -Gimli Son of Gloin.
Talon Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote