Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2004, 06:21 PM   #841
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
Gwenneth listened as Ginger spoke. When her companion paused, the elf smiled. "First, please call me Gwenneth." Gwenneth became shy , "I actually come from my family's home near the Havens. I am traveling for awhile. The Shire is my first stop. I have only been here for a few days."

She noticed Ginger's dreamy look. "I am afraid that I am not meeting anyone, but the people I have met here at the inn have been wonderful. I have learned much through my conversations." Gwenneth pushed a loose strand of black hair back behind her ear. "Tell me more about the handfasting? Is that what you called it? Derufin is the stable master correct? I have a mare in the stables. I have seen him work with the horses. He seems nice."

The elf maid looked down at the table for a moment, slightly embarresed at all of her questions. "I would love to pitch in and help with this handfasting if I could. May I?"
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info
Old 10-02-2004, 10:06 AM   #842
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Jinniver worked steadily at clearing the first of the borders all through the morning. She had made it her aim to finish weeding the borders and making them ready by the time evening came. With a little luck, the plants should arrive next day, and she was eager to make sure the borders were tilled and free of unsightly weeds. The work was doing her good, as she thought it might; she thought of little but the task at hand and whistled an aimless tune as she laboured.

As the morning went by, she found several little rose bushes which had been choked by the nettles and docks. She felt sure that even as she cleared the weeds away from them they began to stretch their heads up towards the sun; there were buds on some of them and she breathed in the faint but already heady scent hungrily. Jinniver had also uncovered some small foxglove seedlings, and transplanted them to the centre of the border where they would soon make a fine, tall centrepiece to the display as they grew taller.

Most of the border was now free of weeds, and just the few roses and foxglove seedlings remained. Jinniver decided to take a rest before she started to hoe the soil. Looking at her hands, she noticed they were covered in the black soil of The Shire and before she stopped to wipe them, she put her fingers up to her face and breathed in the scent of the earth. It was a rich and moist smell which she found comforting and she stood for a few minutes just breathing it in until she heard one of the hobbit lads in the cottage snorting with laughter. Turning around to see what the mirth was about, she saw he had been laughing at her strange behaviour and her face flushed red, all apart from the smut of black soil which remained on the tip of her nose.

The hobbit ducked back down from the window, equally embarrassed, and Jinniver scuttled off to the side of the inn where she sat down to smoke her pipe, unaware of the dirt on her nose and the twigs in her hair.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:44 AM   #843
Primrose Bolger
Wight

Primrose Bolger has just left Hobbiton.
‘Handfasting is a Shire custom . . . Gwenneth.’ Ginger stumbled over the name slightly, hardly daring to believe she was talking to one of the Fair Folk. ‘I’m sure in other parts they’ve grander names, as my Gammer would say, for it. But it’s just a little ceremony where a man and woman give a pledge to each other to stick together . . . husband and goody-wife. Thick and thin and all that sort. And of course there’ll be babies coming along. Nice, chubby cheeked little ones to fill up the house.’ Gwenneth’s pretty brow was puckered a bit and she asked why did they call it ‘handfasting’.

‘Well, now, that’s the ceremony part, isn’t it,’ said Ginger, thinking about the word. ‘You see, their names get put down in the big book where all that gets recorded. But at the ceremony, the person who the couple’s asked to do their handfasting, well he or she comes forth once they make their pledges in front of the big crowd that’ll be gathered and ties their clasped hands together at the wrists . . . binds them together like . . . and they keep ‘em that way til they’ve danced the first dance together. Then the couple gets drinks raised to their new life and the party begins.’ Ginger’s eyes lit up at the prospect of the party as she explained it to Gwenneth. Music and food, drinks and dancing . . . and little lanterns lit in the trees when the sun goes down.

‘There’s lots to be done still,’ she told the Elf. ‘That’s why all us lasses have been sent to help.’ She eyed Gwenneth wondering what sort of work the Fair Folk do. ‘I’m helping out in the garden right now . . . still got the flower beds around the front porch of the Inn to do. That’s where we’ll have the party. Out there under the trees with tables all set up and a little band playing on the porch. It’s all got to look pretty. You could help me with that if you’ve a hand that’s good with flowers and such. Or . . . later on I’m going in to help Cook work on cookies and sweets for the party. Do you want to help there? What sorts of goodies do the Elves have when they are wedded . . . could you make some for Mister Derufin and his lady?’
. . . for they love peace and quiet and good tilled earth . . . are quick of hearing and sharpeyed, and though they are inclined to be fat and do not hurry unneccesarily, they are nonetheless nimble and deft in their movements . . . FOTR - Prologue
Old 10-03-2004, 11:48 AM   #844
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

Fáinu looked about the room. The silence was beginning to disturb him, Cree sat there staring into her mug. She seemed to be collecting her thoughts, although she seemed to be sad.

"Fáinu, you may think this an unexpected turn of fate," She said, "To me it is more so. I had only recently given up hope that you would be yet alive. Elrond said he did not think you were dead, but then other said that they had heard of the death of one named ifáinumen. I later found this to be a name carried by you. So, how much of a surprise do you think it is for me?"

Fáinu did not quite know how to react to this. Cree seemed to have yet another tear in her eye, she did not seemed to have been happy since she had found him. Fáinu tried to explain why she might have heard of his death.

"IFáinumen, the released one, is the name I took when I lodged with my brothers," he said, "When they threw me out one shot an arrow at me. I was hit in the shoulder from behind. I recovered; they perhaps thought I was dead. Or wished it. They were truly wicked. It seems their lies have done more harm than I thought."

He smiled at her and wiped her tears away with his handkerchief. He wished not for her to be saddened. He knew that since he departed form her, he had had brought hurt upon her. He wished to heal it, but knew he would only bring more in his attempts.

"Do not weep, Cree," he said once again," Thou hast shed more tears than are due. Be glad that thou hast found me alive, and not fallen into despair."
Old 10-03-2004, 12:21 PM   #845
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
‘Ferrin Muddyfoot!’

Derufin could hear the exasperation in the voice of Andwise. He moved to the edge of the roof to see what was happening. There was the older Hobbit, hands on hips, shaking his head at one of the lads. The others, Derufin could see, had gathered at a distance intending to chide their companion. Their words and mocking laughs and hoots died on their lips as Andwise threw them all a withering look.

‘Bad enough one of you,’ he said looking directly at Ferrin, then swiveling his head to take in Tomlin, Gil, and Fallon, ‘bad enough one of you has to show his poor manners to a newcomer to Bywater and a guest at the Inn. And one who’s volunteered from the goodness of her heart to help out.’ He tsk’d, in that certain way that parents have. ‘Now, Ferrin, I know your Ma will not be wanting to hear how you were rude to a guest at the Inn. And her a gardener herself. Sure touch with the hedge roses, your Ma.’ There was a slight cough as a snicker was cut off. ‘And you lads, you’ll be wanting to support your mate in this, I’m certain.’ He motioned them all to draw up nearer, then pointed to where Jinniver had gone to gather herself together and smoke a pipeful. ‘You’ll be wanting to tell her you meant no harm, I’m sure,’ he said with a considering look at Ferrin. ‘And you lot can go with him. You're almost done with the main part of your work on the extra room for the cottage, I can see. How about you ask if she’ll be needing any little fences or borders or window boxes built? Be glad to do that, won’t you?’

He nodded up to where Derufin looked on the little scene with interest. ‘Time’s wasting to get all these projects done. You lads go over and mend fences, so to speak with Mistress Jinniver. Almost time for second breakfasts, too, I think. See if you can help Mistress Buttercup with bringing over the basket of food and drinks once you’re done.’ The lads faces lit up in anticipation of this task.

Andwise watched the four walk slowly over to where Jinniver sat. Noting how the three pushed Ferrin forward first and then gathered in around her their hands gesturing toward the cottage, and her looking up to answer them. Good lads! he thought to himself, nodding his head affectionately at the little scene. I wonder how my Ferdy’s doing?

A tap on his shoulder caught his attention and he turned to see Derufin . . .

Last edited by Arry; 10-03-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #846
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Derufin gave Andwise a clap on the back, smiling widely as he nodded toward where the four Hobbit lads could now be seen speaking with Jinniver. ‘Nicely done!’ he said. ‘I’ll have to stow that in my cap for when my sons act up a little bigger than their britches.’ Andwise looked up at him, a questioning look on his face. ‘When we have our sons, that is,’ Derufin said winking.

‘And what might be happening if all those sons you’re dreaming up turn out to be daughters, laddie?’ inquired the Hobbit, a grin on his face. ‘Tis not up to you, you know. It’s pot luck as far as that all goes!’

Laughter welled up from the man. ‘Oh, I think then my sweet Zimzi will have to take a firm hand with the girls if it’s needed. I’m afraid their Da will be silly as a goose around them, and think they can do no wrong.’

Andwise joined in the laughter. ‘Led by the nose, eh? With their dimpled smiles and big eyes . . . you think you’ll be lost, eh?’

Derufin’s face clouded for a moment, his grey eyes darkening. ‘Aye,’ he said. ‘Lost for certain.’

Andwise made no comment on this brief change in mood, instead he drew the man over to where he was working on the front door for the cottage. ‘What do you think of this, Derufin? I’ve just finished sketching out most of it, but I needed to ask a question or two before I finish it.’

Around the border of the oak door were drawn small, twining vines of ivy with sprigs of holly interspersed throughout. ‘Faithfulness, friendship, and happiness round the door to your house,’ the Hobbit said. Andwise traced his finger round the seashell with the smaller engraving of a five pointed star on it. It was drawn just slightly off center to the middle of the door. ‘Now Cook’s told me Mistress Zimzi’s from up north, by the sea, and she said she had it on good authority that her family traced itself back to those sailors who fled east when the Star Isle fell.’ Derufin nodded, saying it was so. ‘Her name is one of the old ones from that place,’ he confided to the Hobbit. ‘It’s Zimziran. Beloved Jewel, her mother told me.’

‘But what about you, Master Derufin? There’s not much known about you before you set foot here in Bywater. I heard when you were a much younger man, you fought for the King in the War. But beyond that . . . well you’re a fair cipher.’ Andwise pointed to the blank space next to the star. ‘What shall I put here . . . for you?’

Derufin was taken aback at the question, and sat down on an upturned bucket for a moment to think it over. There was one he’d told his whole story to, but she was far gone. The war, the good friends and neighbors he’d marched off with in youthful abandon . . . the little band who’d come back . . . and they to losses of their own. Derufin’s young wife and little toddling daughter killed by Orcs just before the brave few of Ringlo Vale had returned home. His son, born when he was away, dead, too . . . and only the charred foundations of their little house remaining, where the valley winds sifted through the ashes at night leaving only the fired bones. He could look at it now, after all these years, without a great feeling of empty despair threatening to undo him.

With a gesture toward a nearby bench, Derufin bade Andwise sit with him a moment. And with an economy of words, he spoke of where he’d come from and what had happened. ‘I’ve laid that part of my life aside. Worried it to the marrow for a long time,’ he spoke low, ‘and now I’ve made my peace with it.’ Derufin shook his head as he gazed to where the door lay on the trestles, waiting only to be finished. ‘I cannot think what you might put for me. But it cannot be that place from where I came. That sad, lost man’s gone, and I’ve come through to be here . . . right here. And my Zimzi at my side.’
Old 10-03-2004, 08:58 PM   #847
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Cook ambled into the kitchen, smiling as she entered from the common room. The rest of the Inn was the province of Miz Aman, and to be quite honest could at time be a little quirkily chaotic. But, the kitchen was her domain and the neatness and orderliness that was its hallmark was once again in place. Second breakfast was being seen to by the servers – buns, muffins, and scones served up with pots of hot tea and good, sweet Shire honey. Lunch was laid out on the cupboard, waiting like obedient troops under her command to match off to do war against hunger. It was sandwiches today to be washed down with cold cider or ale and plenty of cookies to fill in the empty corners. Hobbits and others who ate at the Dragon had only themselves to blame if they went away hungry.

To her left was the big kettle, bubbling away on the hob with chicken and herbs. Soup, thick with meat and vegetables from the garden would be for supper tonight. That and thick slices of crusty bread with sweet cream butter. She stepped to the pot and gave the heady smelling broth a stir or two. She was just eyeing the basket of winesap apples the stableboy had brought in from the three old gnarled trees that grew west of the stable, considering if baked apples might do to round out the supper, when she heard the hammering begin down the stairs, in the kitchen cellar.

‘Vinca Bunce!’ she chided herself. ‘You’ve gone and left that poor boy down there for several hours. And here you promised him a little something as the morning wore on.’ Setting the stirring spoon on the lid of the soup kettle, Cook went down the stairs carefully, craning her head down to see where Ferdy had got off to. She was just on the next to the last step, looking round the post to her right, when her eyes caught the row of neat little bins, six of them in fact, all lined up together against the cellar wall. They each had lids that pulled up on hinges, and there was Ferdy at the very last one, hammering in the last nail that secured it to the wall. So intent was he on his business that he did not hear Cook come up near him, and lifting up one of the well fitting lids, exclaim. ‘My goodness, Ferdy! These are more than I had hoped for! You’re a genius, lad!’ He gave a gasp at the sudden intrusion and promptly dropped his hammer on his toes.

Ferdy hobbled up the stairs to the kitchen with the aid of Cook. She deposited him in a chair and got a piece of ice from the cooler to wrap in a clean towel and place on his toes. He protested that he was fine, really. But she fussed over him anyway, bringing him a cool mug of cider and a plate of warm scones with jam and whipped butter to make him feel better. Cook sat watching him eat the scones and poured him another cup of cider when the first was empty.

‘Feeling a little better?’ she asked, peering at his toes beneath the ice – they were purpling up from the bruising. Ferdy sat back and rubbed his stomach with a satisfied sigh, his foot all but forgotten. ‘Fine, thank you, Miz Bunce,’ he told her. ‘Give me a few moments, and I’ll be right enough to fix that cupboard door you talked about earlier.’

Cook sat down in a chair near the lad and poured him another bit of cider. ‘Oh leave the door for now, my dear,’ she said, causing him to frown a little. ‘There’s something else I’m wanting to speak to you about. Something else that’s needing mending.’ ‘Well, I’m all ears, Miz Bunce,’ he said a little hesitantly, wondering what project she had in mind for him next.

~*~

Ferdy’s mug of cider sat unnoticed on the table. Cook, without a great deal of preamble, had launched into a ‘serious’ talk with the young man. She’d talked with his Da, she told him and he’ll be wanting to talk to you, too, Ferdy, she said, when we’re done here. Quite confused by this time, Ferdy merely sat and nodded dumbly as Cook folded her hands on the table in front of her, and proceeded to tell him that a lass had come to her saying she was interested, quite interested in him and could Cook see her way to seeing if there were any way Ferdy might want to return her affections.

His eyes going wide at this revelation, Ferdy would have bolted for the door, save for two things. First, his Da had said he was to listen to Miz Bunce and take her counsel, and second, his foot was now throbbing where the hammer had mashed against his toes and he knew he could not outpace Miz Bunce owing to the pain. ‘A lass?’ he asked in a strangled voice. Oh my, how was he going to tell Cook he was interested in one girl only.

‘Yes,’ said Cook, ‘there’s a lass who’s got her eye on you but has had no indication from you might feel the same way.’

‘Her eye?’ Again the thought of those eyes he looked forward to seeing every week loomed up in his mind, and he shook his head emphatically at Cook. ‘I can’t be thinking about some lass and what she thinks of me,’ he said quite fervently. ‘I’ve got my own girl to be thinking about, Miz Bunce. I’ve no want to be thinking about someone else.’

Cook drew back, surprised at the vehemence with which he expressed himself. ‘I see,’ she said, leaning back in her chair. ‘Poor lass! She’ll be mighty disappointed. Ah well, what’s done can’t be undone, I suppose.’

‘Let her down easy, but be firm, if you will,’ said Ferdy. ‘I’ve had my eye on my own girl for a long, long time. I don’t think I’ll be changing my mind at all.’

‘Well, well,’ murmured Cook, looking with interest at Ferdy. ‘I’ll be as gentle as I can. But, tell me – who is this lucky lass you’ve kept hidden so long from us – your Da included.’

Ferdy colored a bit and whispered a name. ‘Sorry but you’ll have to speak up,’ Cook said. ‘These old ears can’t hear as well as they used to.’ She leaned forward, looking at him expectantly . . .
Old 10-04-2004, 09:31 AM   #848
starkat
Wight

As Ginger described the ceremony, Gwenneth smiled. It sounds wonderful. When Ginger asked if she knew anything about her people’s wedding customs, Gwenneth blushed. “I am afraid that I do not know. My interests have always been with horses. When my brother got married I was very young and I do not remember the ceremony.”

The young elf woman looked up at Ginger. “I may not be one for cooking, but I do enjoy working outdoors and I am good at following directions. At home, I help my mother with her flower garden. She also lets me use the flowers to decorate our home.” She looked down at her hands a little embarrassed by her lack of knowledge.
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info
Old 10-04-2004, 11:46 AM   #849
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
"I know I have not lost you but deep down inside I have already lost you. According to you, there is no way you can ever show emotions. That in itself is sad. Right now I am a mental case. I do not know whether to be happy or sad." Cree forced back the rest of her tears. She had her friend there with her. She didn't need anything else. Her wishes had come true.

"Fáinu, you know in a few days I will be another year older than last year. It seems like one of my wishes has come true." Cree didn't know what her knew wish would be. She could now have anything in the world. The only thing her heart desired was to have Fáinu forever.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 PM   #850
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

"Think that thou art blessed," Fáinu replied, "Many will go a life age of the world and have no wish granted. If your wish is to be with me, I will not deny you this." he could say little else in response. His mind was wandering back and forth, thought of his past with Cree became clearer to him, and he began to wonder why he decided to go away, and leave her behind. He knew now there was no way he could do this, even if he wanted to. But he did not want to leave her again, it would break her heart, and his.

"Cree, what hast though dunst?" he asked, Cree looked puzzled, "Did you spend all this time searching for me? Or did you have other business? For I have thought to have seen visions of you in my dreams, wandering over mountains, searching for something, but calling a name that was not mine. Sometimes it was Morhên, forgotten child, Gathdring, Shadow hammer. Know you of these names?"

This dream he had first had two years ago, when he slept in the wilderness and wished most to see Cree again. However, he had thought that his old life was dead and he would never again see any he had loved and known from then.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 10-04-2004 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Rats
Old 10-04-2004, 01:41 PM   #851
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
'Why, Lily,' said Posco, rather surprised at her question, 'there will be nothing for you to do but come home with me, if we get married. What else could you do?'

'But what about the meantime? How will we see each other?'

'Oh,' said Posco, and he put his back to the trunk of the tree and gazed thoughtfully down at her. A soft breeze rustled the leaves and the tree branches gently rose and full, brushing against her face and catching her hair. The bright sun made her cheeks rosy, and the quavering shadows of the leaves danced over her features. Her eyes were sparkling with joy, and her red lips were turned up in a smile. Posco leaned forward, and said, 'Lily, I have something: when you leave you can come to my home for a time to visit, so my parents can meet you and all those necessary things. My mother would delight in taking care of you, and you would love my home. It has trees, and hills, and the Brandywine isn't far away at all. When nighttime comes you hear the crickets chirping, and then a fiddle will be taken out and we dance by the fire, and late in the night everyone goes a-bed. When morning comes each and every bird sings, and we go down to the Brandywine to fish, or just to sit amid the wildflowers and watch the water flow by. Oh, Lily, you'd love it so very much.'
Old 10-04-2004, 01:57 PM   #852
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The hobbit lads came over slowly with uncertain steps and Jinniver too felt a little foolish and pretended to be busy fixing an imaginary chip in her pipe at first. The lads pushed Ferrin forwards and he coughed so that she had to look up. Her face was still red, if not even more so. But the lads were kind enough not to comment on the unseen soil smudged on her nose.

“We um…we come to ask you if there’s anything you need doing like. Um, you know, anything that needs building or fixing for the garden?” Ferrin stumbled over his words and gave Jinniver a hopeful smile.

She felt relief, and out of the corner of her eye, she spied Andwise on the roof, watching. “He must have got them to make amends,” she thought to herself, which made her a little more nervous. She wasn’t sure what to say about the offer, and had to think for a moment if there was anything she needed doing. “I wouldn’t mind if you could get me some old logs and make a border,” she asked Ferrin, who looked a little confused “How do you mean, miss? You’ll have to show me what you want by that.”

Jinniver stood up and walked to the borders and the hobbit lads followed her, apart from one, who had gone to help fetch the second breakfast. The smell of freshly brewed tea and warm scones wafted all the way across from the kitchen as he opened the door, and several stomachs, large and small, rumbled all at once.

The border she had worked on that morning was now clear of weeds, but the raw edges met the grass and Jinniver could see it would benefit from being made neat and tidy, at least until the plants she was going to put in were more mature. She had an idea for an edging made from old logs cut into short pieces; each small segment would be cut in half, and then they would be laid along the border, making a scalloped edge. This would, she thought, give the flower beds a neat shape, and the plants could trail around and over the logs as time went on.

She explained her idea to Ferrin and his pals, who stuck out their bottom lips and nodded in agreement. It was not a big job at all, the only snag was where they would find some old logs.

“ I’ve found just the thing, if you can help me”, said Jinniver, moving to the back of one of the borders where a tree stump laid half-covered by earth. “It’s long dead, and the roots go down a long way. They’ll provide some useful timber for this, I’m sure.”

Ferrin shook his head “But how are we going to get that great brute out of the ground? It’s stuck fast as far as I can see. Been there a long time and it doesn’t look like it wants to go anywhere now”.

Jinniver had thought of this. “I can get my horse and harness him to the stump, and he can pull it out, he’s strong. Only thing is, I would need some help. Either to make sure the rope stays on while I’m doing it, or to guide Nutkin, to guide my horse. I can’t do both at once, you see.”

The hobbits all nodded when they saw how it could be done. “Let’s try right now! And then for some tea and cake,” said Ferrin, heading towards the paddock.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:17 PM   #853
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Soronume had been absent from the Shire for some time now yet it's paths felt so familiar under his feet, he could walk it's lands in the darkest of nights and find his way back to the Green Dragon's warmth without hesitation. With the inn in his sights up ahead, Soronume questionned as to why he decided to leave the place that always welcomed him with open arms at all.

Stones shifted under his boots as he trod, creating that unique sound that only ever presented itself when you knew you weren't far from resting, at least, that was the only time at which Soronume noticed it. He turned to see his path behind. Not prints in the ground as they weren't disernable as definate markings, more just disturbed earth where he had walked. He smiled. It was nice to be back in familiar surroundings.

As usual, Soronume stopped short of the Inn. His appearance was never as it should be for such a fine place, but this time it was further from acceptable than it should have been. His dark tunic was soiled, but a light dusting improved that to some degree, which was more than could be done about the state of his cloak. Tears were perhaps more common place on it than the fibres it was originally woven from. It's green colour almost disguised entirely behind various other stains which had accumulated during his travels. His boots alone showing the distance he had covered of late.

Under his hood, Soronume's piercing grey eyes could clearly be seen, and wisps of dark hair fell about his face from the hood that cast many of his features into shadow. His face though was not a unwelcoming one, his smile was full of warmth even though his expressions may be troubled. He smiled to himself again as he made way to the door. Pushing it aside he stepped into the inn, bowing his head slightly as he passed through.

Only a few heads turned around the inn at his entrance and even they promptly went back to their own business. Soronume headed towards the bar in the hope of something to quench his thirst and a friendly face for company...
Old 10-04-2004, 07:56 PM   #854
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Lily listened raptly to Posco's brief discription of his home. In many ways it was very different from Bree, and they appealed to her. In town, it was fairly noisy, and there were people all over the place, both Big and Little. Instead of crickets, nighttime noises consisted of shouts in the street or the clip-clop of hooves on the stone roads.

"Your home sounds lovely," said Lily. "Please, tell me more about it." She looked up into his eyes and saw a reflection of her own feelings therein: peace and happiness, and love. The things that she had always treasured most, those simple things, and she found them here with Posco. Hearing about his farm made her enjoy the Shire even more, and she knew that she would love making it her home with Posco when that time would come.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:36 AM   #855
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Cree couldn't believe it, she finally had what she wanted. "Fáinu, I have spent many years searching for you. I knew that you couldn't be dead. There was a feeling in my heart telling me you was alive. After the death of my father and your mysterious dissapearance I felt alone. I didn't know what else to do. So I wandered around Middle Earth looking for you or the missing piece of my puzzle."

Cree figured that Fáinu wasn't going to leave her again. Without any warning Cree's eyes rolled to the back of her head. Her eyelids closed and her body went limp. Cree knew waht was happening, her episodes were back to normal. Despite her appearance of being dead Cree could still hear Fáinu.

Avalon turned to look at the male elf beside her. The crows eyes told everything. No matter how hard she tried, Avalon knew Fáinu couldn't understand her. Staring into his eyes she suddenly saw a glimmer of hope.

Fáinu, this is your friend's curse. For Cree there is no escape. No one can save her. She ahs her actual parents to thank for that. You must be there for her in this her time of need. Even I dont' know if this spell she will survive.

Avalon hopped over to the pack Cree carried. With her beak, Avalon pulled out a piece of parchment. The white crow began unravelling the piece of writing covered parchment. Out of all the symbols the only word taht could be made out was his own name, Fáinu.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:01 AM   #856
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

Fáinu looked at the parchment, he recognised his own name and none of the other words. He realised it was written in enchain Quenya, sudenly he remembered something Elrond had said. When he first returned to Rivendell after the incident with Smaug, before he even opened his mouth, Elrond chanted these words;

i fáinu men, falócë rohta, elyë inde firin. Umbar valin elin mén. Utú i quácocolindo! Utú i quácocolindo!

The released one, cursed by the dragon. Fate smiles upon thee. Find the crow bearer! Find the crow bearer!

Now it seemed to all make sense. Cree was the crow bearer. He saw her, she looked to be asleep. He shook her and she did nought. He called to her and her eyes opened a little, she smiled and fell back to sleep. He had seen others fall into a trance of this sort before. He remembered how he had woken a friend the last time.

He drew Falokrist from its sheath and the blade rang. A few hobbits looked over in curiosity.

"Forgive me Cree," he took the blade and made a small cut on her hand. Instantly she leaped up, dew a blade and swung it. Luckily, Fáinu stopped her sword with his. She then dropped her blade to the ground and sat back down. Fáinu sheathed his sword and held Cree's hand.

"What happened to you?" he asked, "Where did you get this parchment? What-" he stopped and looked her in the eyes. Avalon flew up and landed upon Cree's shoulder holding a bandage from Cree's pack. Fáinu rapped it about her hand and looked her in the eyes.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:00 PM   #857
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

"You ask where I got this and what happened to me. I tell you only what I know. Fáinu, one day while I was in Rivendell searching for you or any sign of you, I found it. For some reason the parchment seemed lonely. There was no sign of anyone around. So I simply placed the parchment in my back pack. Now as for what happened to me, if is but a constant reminder that my time is limited." The cut on her hand was stinging a little but Cree didn't mind the pain.

Cree turned her head. She wasn't much for staring someone down. It didn't seem like her. "Fáinu, this is how I knew what to call you. Plus the dream I had the night before I returned to the inn. My last night sleeping under the trees and of all the things your name and face appear in my sleep. My friend what sort of magic is this I have encountered. It wasn't even two days ago I was thinking about you and then I arrive here to see your face. I only have one thing to say, destiny is playing an evil trick on my heart." Her breathing seemed lighter and her eyes more alert.

She looked at her hand and finally realized that the cut Fáinu had made was on her right hand. "Indeed this is some trick. Your right hand is scarred for life while my own right hand is merely scratched." She closed her mouth and went back to remembering their past. "Fáinu, I don't remember you being so skilled with the sword." She let out a little smirk.

Avalon what would I do without you. You are my friend. Yet I know it is thanks to you that I have found my one true friend. Fáinu, you are my heart and soul. Without you I don't think I could make it. You saved my life once, and I have it in my mind to save your's some day. Lets just hope I will not fail you like I have everyone else. Cree knew that she had said her thoughts out loud. Now she regretted it all. "Fáinu, I would give you my heart if you only asked for it."
Old 10-05-2004, 12:25 PM   #858
Gelmir
Haunting Spirit

Gelmir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gelmir
Thumbs up The door of the entrance

Gelmir:

When all was quiet, and the hobbits were sufficiently drunk, Gelmir saw his time right to enter the inn. His bright eyes glittered in the early morning light and he smiled and pushed the door open. His green cape blended into the green grass of his surroundings while he was outside. As he stepped over to the bar, he looked at all the different people who were talking casually or mumbling slurring sentences to each other.

There were two elves at a table in a corner, a small hobbit sitting by the fire and several hobbits rushing around in the kitchen. One Hobbit stopped him and said;

“Where is the land of many food?” he was obviously drunk,

“I know not, kind sir,” answered Gelmir, “I cannot say I have heard of it.”

“Well, tell me when you taste it.” Then he stumbled around and hit the wall and fell down.

“ Hello, I’m Gelmir, I am the great-great nephew of Gelmir of Nargothrond, brother of Gwindor. I am here to seek Ale!” he found some at the bar and came back to the drunken Hobbit who was calling him.

“Why don’t you find me a pint?”
“Here, take mine,” said Gelmir, “I am not that thirsty.” The drunken Hobbit took it gladly and drank it.

“Any way, as I was saying, I also want to try and fit in with the crowd.” He explained, “Some may dislike me, others may not, but if any one wants to on a quest with me just tell me when to go and I’ll join your Party, if you ask kindly.” The old hobbit looked at Gelmir in confusion. Gelmir had a wide grin on his face. He loved to jest like so.
“Of course most of you are.” He mused, “I have come from Lorien and I am the eldest of my generation, I have two brothers, Gilgond and Gaerglín, they are only young.”

Gelmir went to sit down next to the fire when it seemed like the old Hobbit was about to throw up. He felt it would be polite to leave him to his business.

“ahh”, He whispered.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:51 PM   #859
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Fáinu smirked when she mentioned his skill with a blade. He had learned to be quick while he rode forth with Ellodan and Elrohir. His mind had been filled with dark forebodings for too long now, it had seemed that Cree had put them at bay for a time.

"Fáinu, I would give you my heart if you only asked for it." said Cree leaning forward. Fáinu looked up at her and his face was grim.

"I cannot ask this of thee," he said, "I do not feel that I deserve it. I left you in Dale, I abandoned all, and they me. I feel, that all I have now is a destny to follow, and a will to use what wisdom I have, to for fill it." Cree began to weep; he knew that what he had said was not what she wished to hear. But he could not lie to her, not now after all that had happened.

"I am sorry Cree," he said, "Thou hath come hither, and found whom you sought. But I now see what Elrond meant in his words;

fáinu men, falócë rohta, elyë inde firin. Umbar valin elin mén. Utú i quácocolindo! Utú i quácocolindo!

Thou art the Crow bearer. But Elrond told me that if I found you, then I would know that an end is near. This dose not make me any less joyful to see you. For in my heart, I still love thee, but I cannot ask of you what you desire. I fear it would break our friendship, and I wish not for that."
Old 10-05-2004, 01:58 PM   #860
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Jinniver attached a sturdy rope to Nutkin’s harness and pulled at the knots to make sure they would not come undone. Ferrin and the other hobbit lads had tied the other end of the rope around the tree stump and had shovelled some of the soil out from around it. They stood behind the stump, ready to guide it out of the ground when the horse pulled away.

There was a moment’s silence as Jinniver patted her horse and started to beckon him forwards. With each step the rope became less slack, until it was taught and the horse started to feel the weight behind him. Jinniver spoke reassuringly to him and urged him on, and the hobbits pushed on the tree stump in a vain attempt to help the horse shift it. The stump was too heavy for several men to move, let alone a group of hobbit lads. The heavy horse should have been able to move it without any difficulties, and yet nothing happened. Nutkin shook his head in annoyance and refused to move any further; the load was too unyielding for him.

He snorted and instead turned his attention to some sweet smelling grass growing underneath the bushes nearby. Jinniver gave a great sigh and went across to the flower bed to see what the problem might be. Stooping down low to the side of the stump, she saw that a particularly thick root was still buried in the soil.

“Look, we missed this one,” she said to the hobbits. “See how thick it is just above the soil, it must be incredibly long. We’ll have to dig some more.” Taking up a shovel, she started the job, working quickly. Soil flew off the shovel into the air behind her, landing on Ferrin’s feet.

“Now don’t be burying me,” he said boldly, but with a laugh in his voice. He took up a shovel and started to dig. “Let us help and you won’t have to work so fast. Why, we aren’t going after treasure here.”

Jinniver’s pace slackened a little, but the soil was moved swiftly with more than one pair of hands to do the work. The root was indeed long, and a small trench appeared in the border before it had all been uncovered. They stood a moment, leaning across the stump, looking at the gnarly, tough remains of the old tree, feeling satisfied with their work. The silence was broken by Ferrin. “Well, I would say that was the root of the problem.”

This provoked groans and cries from the other hobbits, and Jinniver shook her head, laughing. “I’ll go back to Nutkin and get him moving then, and leave you to your terrible jokes.” But before she had moved, an unearthly screeching noise suddenly erupted from the bushes near the horse, who added to the racket by whinnying in fright. He jumped up when a whirlwind of leaves streaked out of the bushes. Two cats, shrieking at one another in anger, raced from the undergrowth, locked in a fight. The old horse only saw an eight-legged creature, all teeth and fur, and with a neigh, he bolted forwards to get out of the way.

Before Jinniver and the hobbits could do anything, the stump was heaved out of the earth with a great jolt and dragged out onto the grass, leaving them face down in the dirt. “Owww!” yelled Ferrin. “Hmph!” was all Jinniver could say; she had fallen further than any of them and her mouth was full of soil. She turned her head and pushed herself up onto her knees, then, resigned to the fact that she was covered in muck, sat back down with a snort of laughter. Ferrin plucked an earthworm from Jinniver’s hair. Wiping soil from their faces and rubbing their sore elbows, the hobbits erupted too.

They all stayed where they were, laughing until they cried, only moving when the second breakfast appeared. Shaking the dirt from their clothes, they headed for the well where a bucket of water was passed around to wash their dirty hands and faces.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:31 PM   #861
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
‘Well, don’t you all make a pretty picture!’

Tomlin and Fallon scrambled to their feet, hastily wiping their dirt smudged faces on the sleeves of their shirts. There stood Buttercup, hands on hips surveying the outcome of their mighty efforts. Next to her, and just a little behind, was Gil, a pleased look on his face. From his hand swung the basket of food Cook had sent. Ferrin, by this time, had gotten up and offering a hand to Jinniver, had helped her to her feet. Gil raised his brows at the sight of the four of them; then looking quickly at Buttercup and back to the other Hobbits let a smirking grin turn up the corners of his mouth.

The four stump conquerors tramped off to the bucket of water Andwise had brought from the well, and began to wash up as best they could. Derufin, too, had come down from the roof, laughing as he approached the Hobbits and woman at their ablutions. ‘That was quite the site!’ he chuckled. ‘Poor horse looked scared to death when the cats rolled by.’ ‘Hadn’t been for the stump attached to him,’ said Andwise, ‘we’d have to have been chasing him down the road back to Bree, I think.’

While the dirt was being scrubbed off, Derufin led Nutkin to the small fenced in area where ‘Falmar rambled, chomping at clumps of grass and swatting at the flies, her tail making lazy sweeps across her back. She stamped once as Nutkin was led in, then, sniffing the horse’s muzzle, nickered at him in a seeming welcome.

Washed and dried, Fallon, Ferrin, and Tomlin spread out the blanket Gil had tucked under one arm and set the basket of food in the middle of it. Scones and sweet buns were handed round as Buttercup poured them all mugs of cold cider from the stoppered ewer or tea, as they wished, from the cosied pot. She smiled prettily at each of them as she gave them their mugs, and the lads responded in kind. It was only after she’d left that one would jostle the other saying her gaze was on him longest, didn’t you know. And did you see how she winked as she left for the Inn?

Andwise and Derufin sat a little ways away from the lads, beneath the shade of the Rowan tree. Jinniver had come to join them. ‘There’s some bigger saw horses there in my wagon,’ Andwise offered. ‘Just have to nail them together. Thought you might want to use hem if you’re going to buck that stump.’ Derufin chimed in saying there was a splitting maul in the stable and one of the heavier saws hanging above the worktable. ‘Just what are you planning on doing with it?’ Andwise asked, eyeing the huge chunk of wood.

‘Whatever it is, it’s going to look nice, Jinniver,’ Derufin said with a satisfied sigh at how the little place was coming together. Looking to where she had cleared the beds and turned up the soil, he smiled at her. ‘Zimzi will love it, as will I.’ Andwise was about to remark how he might like a small slab of it, if it could be spared, when a familiar voice called out his name.

‘Da! We’re needing to talk . . . now . . .’
Old 10-06-2004, 09:20 AM   #862
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

What was left of Cree's heart broke. She didn't know what to think any more. "Fáinu, perhaps the ending you are talking about is the ending to your curse. For Elrond's son told me to seek the cursed one and in him I would find relief. I know no other cursed person but you, if I shall be the ending to your life then what does this mean to me." Despite her attempts she couldn't keep the anger at bay any longer. Her side began to hurt even more. Cree didn't know what to think anymore.

"Fáinu, what do I do now? Do I just let you believe that I am your end? Or do I do something about it? I am lost to the rest of the world now. Seriously how can you be so friendly and cold hearted at the same time. How can you live with yourself? I now regret even coming back to The Shire. If I had known that you would have been here then I would have stayed with the parents I never knew. I curse the day you came back." Cree stood up and ran out of the inn. She left her pack and Avalon behind. She didn't care anymore about her life.

Cree walked to the stable. Her horse was in the corner eating what looked like hay. Cree unsheathed her sword and placed it on the straw beside her horse. Setting down in the straw she began to trace through her previous memories. Cree without realizing it began to regret her words. Cree was never really good with anger. She remembered the last one she was angry at ended up dead. Her father had told her not to go after Fáinu. Even through her tears Cree still hated her father for what he did to her.

"Father, if you would have never died then perhaps I would not had left home. I am now in a bigger mess. I don't know what to do. Fáinu is alive and yet even now I still have feelings for him. To me the past is dead. You and my old friend Fáinu is dead. After all how can I love someone that will never love me back. " Cree had a feeling that someone was listening to her. Standing up with her sword in her left hand Cree looked to see that Avalon was perched on one of the beams holding the roof on. "Avalon, did you come alone or is he with you."

The crow turned her head as Cree spoke her words. Cree listened as the bird screeched its protest. "Avalon what do you know of love. You are a bird, alone just like me." Cree heard someone move outside the stables and knew who it was. "Fáinu, I know you are out there come on in. I won't hurt you. I can't hurt you, unlike myself. Everytime I talk to you I am only hurt in the end."
Old 10-06-2004, 11:38 AM   #863
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

Stepping into the stable Fáinu went over to Cree. As she spoke to him, he made no signs, only looked at her, and regretted his words.

"It is not my intent," said Fáinu, "Cree, thou knows that I cannot lie to thee, therefore, can you expect nothing else than my honest answer. If it is not what your heart wishes to hear, then I am truly sorry." He handed her the pack she had left in the common room, Avalon flew down and perched on Crees shoulder.

"I never believed that you would be the cause of any end I would come to," he said eventually, "Elronds words suggested to me, that thou art a sign that AN end approaches. However, to what he would not say. My heart wishes it to be an end to my curse, and to my lonely wanderings. Or perhaps, to life in Middle Earth this suggest that perhaps, one day we shall travel to Aman together."

Cree looked at Avalon, who seemed troubled. She sensed that something was not right with Cree, and so squawked quietly. Cree shook her head and smiled.

"Do you see this?" said Fáinu holding up his sword, "This has been my only companion for many-a days and years. I have not spent much time among our folk, save with the elves of my Brother's house. look closely here." he held out the hilt towards her, and she saw that her name was written in Dwarvish, quwenya, sindarin and all the tongs of Arda (Save entish). Above this was written: Fáinu, whom it was, that failed to defend kin, wishes but to see thee;

"Ever I have wished to see you Cree," he said, "But I did not think that I would. I thought you dead for a time. For a Goblin stole my sword once, and told me that he slew thee. I believed him not, though doubt ever crept into my mind."
Old 10-06-2004, 01:21 PM   #864
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

"You thought me to be dead. My goodness does your self pity know no end! I have been ever alone and not even Avalon could feel the emptiness I felt with you gone. What else do you wish of me? I offered you what you just broke and you throw it back in my face. Fáinu, I know you are troubled and I do pity you but the fact that I want to be here for you and the only thing I get is denial. Perhaps I should go ahead and forget about you and forget about this." Cree jerk on her sleeve and tore the thread that held the material together.

On her left arm was a scar from what look like burn marks. Looking closer at the scars one could see a name. "Fáinu, your name will forever remind me of the painful fire I went through. Day in and day out I have to live with the fact that I have these marks. Yes I know your scars are worse. Yet can you not even see that I have traveled so long looking for you. I have endured so much pain to only find you and find what I wished was death. I care not anymore."

Cree reached in her pack and pulled out her cloak. She knew that it was best she didn't go back in the inn with her clothes tore. She would mend the broken sleeve later. Perhaps when she had settled down and Fáinu wasn't around. Cree felt like giving up, she didn't want to go through this anymore.

Avalon could feel Cree's rage and tightened her grip on Cree. Unable to ignore the pain Cree looked at her shoulder to see red clothing rising. The crow punctured Cree's skin and was digging through her muscle tissue.

I know Avalon, there is nothing I can say or do. My rage is my own, and no one elses. I shouldn't take it out on him. After all I lost him so long ago only to get him back a changed man. What I would give to have my father back and be back in Eryn Lasgalen. Too bad Fáinu doesn't feel the same way.

"Forgive me Fáinu. I have gone mad. I didn't mean to become so angry but I did. I can not help it. These days my temper seems to run away with me." Reaching around her neck Cree pulled up the necklace she had showed Fáinu the night before. "I promised you I wouldn't take it off, not even in death. I had failed in that promise. When I thought you to be dead I removed it and placed it out of sight. Then when I had met my actual parents I removed it. This morning I put it back on. Hopefully this shows to you how loyal I am." Deep down inside it didn't matter how much apologizing she did Cree was still hurting and her shoulder was still bleeding.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:40 PM   #865
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Location: In a place that is not a place, in a time that never was.
SonOfBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Filibert Ploughman

"I don't know, Freddy, my Pop never really liked pubs all that much..." Freddy turned and looked at his best friend. "Come on! We're in our tweens now! It's time we made our own decisions. Filbert Ploughman thought about it for only a second before replying. "Alright! Let's go!" And then, the two hobbits took their first steps into a pub, the Green Dragon.

"Fili," said Freddy, as he stared about the new environment, "This is so cool!" They both let out a triumphant sound and wandered about the inn curiously. For Filibert, or Fili as he was most commonly called, who spent his life with fairly conservative parents, this was an overwhelming experience. But nonetheless he had the courage to go with his friend over to the bar, where Freddy called out to the serving girl,

"Two ales!"
Old 10-07-2004, 01:36 AM   #866
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

"I must admit, it seemed strange to me," replied Fáinu, "that you would keep it, considering how to all others I was dead."

Cree was silent and hid the necklace again. The Crow seemed to be nervous and anxious. Cree looked still to be angry with Fáinu. He had words in his mind that he did not wish to say, but some how, they came out.

"What dost thou wish of me?" he asked, "Do you wish me to lie, to tell you that everything will go back to how it was? Even you know that cannot be."

Cree was not best pleased, as the blood began to be visible to Fáinu. He looked at the crow, who looked troubled. He could not say anything to help her, he knew that he was destined to ever be alone. He did not care anymore.

"Curses to the dragon," he said under his breath, Cree hared this, "If it were not for him, then perhaps life would be more blissful. None of this wouldst have happened. It seems that we were not meant to be happy, Cree." with that he bowed and went out of the stables and stood under the tree to collect his thoughts.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:41 AM   #867
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

After a few minutes of being alone in the stables with only Avalon and the horses to keep her company Cree decided to go back to the inn. Nothing she could do now would change what happened between her and Fáinu. Stopping outside the inn Cree looked around to see who may be outside. Noticing that Fáinu was under one of the near by trees, Cree ignored the fact that she wanted to talk to him. "Blasted curses." She didn't know what else to do. She was tired of the fighting and of the feelings. "What now? Do I simply ignore the fact that my heart is saying one thing while my brain is saying somthing else?"

The bird on her shoulder screeched at the words coming out of Cree's mouth. Reaching her hand up Cree clamped the bird beak shut. "Not now Avalon. I refuse to even do anything about him anymore. Father always told me Fáinu would be a hand full. Its a lost cause my dear friend. It always was a lost cause."

The puncture marks in her shoulder was beginning to hurt more and more with every word that left Cree's lips. It had been awhile since Avalon had decided to perch on Cree's shoulder and now she was beginning to regret it. Cree took her hand away from the crow and ripped off the bandage. All the cut was going to be was another scar just like the one on her side and her arm.

Walking back in the inn Cree looked around to see who she may find. Fáinu may be the cursed and I may be the crow bearer. The only thing that make us alike is the fact that we both want what we can and will never have..... love. Cree saw a table in the corner of the room and walked over and took a seat. Nothing else now mattered.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:50 AM   #868
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

What now, Fáinu, what now? Cree wished only to be with you, and you push her away.

I remember Cree, but she has changed. We both have. Since the day the dragon came, nothing has been the same.

You are a fool! Why do you not tell her you still feel for her?

Time will show us all what is to come. I cannot just say what it is she wants to hear, it would make matters worse.

A Time will come, when you will eat you words. See, now you have scared her physically and emotionally, are you satisfied?

Get thee gone, foul thought. Thou knows nought of this matter.

Fáinu went back to the stables. Cree was not there, and her horse was. He knew she must be in the inn. He wanted to go back, but did not think it time. He mounted his horse and rode off.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:39 AM   #869
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye Eleniel and Arrow

The tall human walked down the road, whistling brightly. The wolfy-looking dog at her feet trotted along beside her, his tail wagging hard enough to stir flurries of dust from the road into miniature tornadoes.

"Here we are," Eleniel said brightly, swinging her chesnut colored braid over her shoulder. "The Green Dragon. Good to be back, isn't it Arrow?" The dog, hearing his name, looked up and wagged his tail even harder.

"Haven't been here for at least a year," Eleniel continued conversationally. "There's always something interesting going on here. It's my favorite stop on our journey. And if you promise to behave yourself this time, I'll let you come in with me." She cast the dog a pointed stare. He avoided her gaze and pretended to study a cricket that hopped into his path. Arrow remembered this place. A certain experience that happened last year at the Green Dragon had taught him to stay out of roads, especially when carraiges were nearby.

Eleniel looked behind her. Her faithful horse, Armellon, plodded along in their footsteps. He was a good packhorse; he carried Eleniel's purchased goods and followed her without need of being guided. Eleniel made a clicking sound with her tongue and the horse raised his head, his ears perked.

"Ready for a rest, friend?" she asked. The horse plodded up to her and nudged her towards the stable. In other words, Yes, he was ready for a rest.

Eleniel led him into an empty stall and removed his saddlebags. They were brown leather printed with the emblem of a perched raven. It was the symbol for her Laketown-based shop, The Raven's Nest. She fished around inside for a moment and pulled out a small purse.

"C'mon, Arrow, let's get something to eat." The dog approved, and together they walked inside the inn.

The inn was about to serve second breakfast, a meal that was in her mind purely and distinctly hobbitish. Sometimes she wished that humans shared similar customs.

She looked around. The inn was full of people, as per usual. Just how she remembered it. She settled down with a mug of ale, Arrow at her feet with a saucer of water. Just how she remembered it.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:12 AM   #870
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

"I don't know what more to say, Lily," said Posco. "My home is something I can't put into words."

He paused, and he looked about him, gazing over the rolling hills of the Shire, and then his face brightened. "Sitting up in this tree, Lily, with the leaves touching your cheeks and the breeze making musical rustles up in these branches, and the sun and clouds above you, and the grass waving below you, and the flowers with all their reds, purples, blues, and yellows... well, what does it make you think of? That's what my home is, Lily."
Old 10-08-2004, 05:08 PM   #871
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

"I cannot wait to see it," said Lily. It did sound beautiful. Beautiful... like the flowers in her hair. She did not know why she thought of it then, but it brought another idea to mind. She paused, and continued.

"I do not know how long you will be staying at your aunt's house, but this morning I was thinking. Soon, I will need to be going home. Tomorrow morning, maybe. When I do leave, I am not sure how soon I will be able to return to the Shire to visit you. I will try to send word, but it might not be possible. I will think of you though." She reached up subconsciously and touched the wreath of blossoms about her head. "I will keep these flowers forever, I think-" This said with a slight blush. "-and I thank you for them. In return, I would give you this." She undid the knot of the leather string around her neck, unnoticed for she wore it close to her skin. On it was strung a small golden stone. She was unable to think of anything else that she might give him, though the stone seemed somehow fitting. She was not exactly sure what she thought he would do it, but she hoped he might treasure it. "I was given it, when I was younger. Always I have worn it, but now I ask you to take it." She held it out for him to take, looking at him somewhat expectantly.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:06 PM   #872
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Andwise put down his mug and stood up as Ferdy called out to him. ‘Son!’ he said smiling as he walked over to see what the lad needed. ‘I thought you were working on those little projects Cook had lined up.’ The smile faded from his face. ‘What’s the problem, son?’

Ferdy was about to answer when Cook came wheezing up the little path toward them. She’d hiked her skirts up to free her legs for moving fast and the dust was flying from each stride. ‘Whoa up there, Ferdy Banks,’ she gasped, her hand on her heaving chest. Andwise walked toward her and put his hand on her elbow, guiding her over to the patch of shade beneath the tree. Jinniver offered the woman a mug of cold cider as Derufin made room for her on the blanket they’d spread out on the ground. Tomlin, Ferrin, Fallon, and Gil, sitting a ways away, looked on in interest wondering what had gone on to put Cook in such a state.

‘Now Miz Banks,’ said Andwise once he’d seen her set down the mug and push back the untidy hair that had fallen about her face. She held up her hand, looking as if she wanted to speak first. An odd series of wheezy sounds, though, burbled out from Cook’s lips. Her shoulders heaved, and she shook her head.

‘Are you alright?’ Derufin asked, crouching alongside the Hobbit, his hand on her shoulder . . .
Old 10-08-2004, 07:22 PM   #873
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

A queer choking rose in Posco's throat. Tomorrow morning! He had thought she would stay for at least a week. How could it be that she was leaving so soon? He drew his sleeve across his eyes so she would not see the tear that sprang to them, and then he closed his hands over the stone, taking her own little hands at the same time. He contemplated kissing them for a moment, but he decided it was too bold, so he just fixed his eyes on her and said: "Lily, I will take it, and I will treasure it all my life, to my dying day. I wish that I had as much to give you."

"Why, Posco!" she said. "You have given me these flowers. Would you have me ask for more?"

"Flowers are sweet and beautiful," said Posco, "but soon they'll be faded. I want to give you something that will last forever, as my affections for you, for that love will never wither."

Last edited by Nurumaiel; 10-08-2004 at 07:24 PM. Reason: A correction of a word out of place
Old 10-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #874
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Lily felt her breath catch in her throat. Softly she said, "Posco, your love is all I could ever want from you. For the stone, the flowers, in and of themselves they mean nothing. It is the meaning behind them, the feelings of their givers, that make them worth something, and in the end, things such as these will not matter. It is the love that matters." He had her hands in his, and though his hands somewhat rough from hard work, his touch was gentle. She knew what he had said earlier about going slow, but she could not help it. She leaned over and kissed him on his cheek.

"I regret that I must leave so soon," Lily said. "But I will return to you, Posco. As soon as I may, I will come back." Her face shone, and she could feel the warmth of love bubbling up inside of her. She wanted to kiss him again, but this time she held back; he wanted to wait a while, and she respected that. The time would come soon enough.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:28 PM   #875
Primrose Bolger
Wight

Primrose Bolger has just left Hobbiton.
‘Well, then, come with me,’ smiled Ginger finishing up the last bit of her sticky-bun and swallowing the final gulp of tea. ‘I’ll start you out on flowers that grow along the front verandah of the inn. Mostly they need a little weeding and watering, and of course you’ll want to pinch off the dead blossoms.’ Gwenneth nodded her head in understanding. ‘Now I’ll be working on those climbing roses that grow up the trellises on each end of the verandah,’ Ginger went on.

As Gwenneth finished the last of her little meal, Ginger ran to fetch an apron and a small basket from the kitchen. ‘Here,’ she said, handing the full-length apron to Gwenneth, ‘this will keep some of the dirt off your clothes.’ She placed the basket on the table, waiting for the Elf to finish tying the apron’s strings round her. ‘Let’s go out to the little garden shed in back, by the main garden. We’ll fetch you some gloves and flower snips to use out front. And it might be nice if we made a bouquet for Miz Aman. She’s been awfully busy seeing to things. Do her good to have something pretty to look at and sniff, don’t you think?’

She motioned for Gwenneth to follow her.
. . . for they love peace and quiet and good tilled earth . . . are quick of hearing and sharpeyed, and though they are inclined to be fat and do not hurry unneccesarily, they are nonetheless nimble and deft in their movements . . . FOTR - Prologue
Old 10-09-2004, 12:55 PM   #876
starkat
Wight

Gwenneth followed behind Ginger. Happy to have something to do, she followed the hobbit to the gardening shed. Ginger gave her a pair of blue gloves and a small pair of snips and they headed for the main garden. The young elf maid came to a stop.

"What's the matter?"

"I had yet to see this garden. It is lovely. The flowers are wonderful!"

Ginger merely smiled. "Why don't you start on the flowers for Miz Aman?"

Gwenneth nodded and began looking through the flowers. Being outside amongst flowers, the elf felt her lonlieness fade completely. A thought struck her and she began to create not one but two boquets.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:39 PM   #877
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

‘Are you alright?’ Derufin asked, crouching alongside the Hobbit, his hand on her shoulder.

Cook looked up, wiping the tears from her eyes . . . she was laughing! ‘Oh my stars, Ferdy!’ she said, looking toward where the lad stood, mortified, next to his father. ‘You needn’t have run out of the kitchen once you’d told me her name!’

Tomlin and the other three lads had crept closer. This was turning out to be quite an interesting turn of events. They looked at Cook, then turned as one to Ferdy, questioning looks on their face. Cook, however, seeing the tinge of red creep up young Ferdy’s neck, hustled the lad and his father to a more private place, a ways away from the others. She gave Ferdy’s four friends her ‘look’ of warning; they backed away toward where Jinniver and Derufin stood, just as perplexed.

Ferdy had by this time begun to tell his father what he and Cook had talked about. Cook nodded her head as Ferdy made his explanation. He ended with a somewhat anguished plea that he didn’t mean to have some lass like him and what was he to do.

‘Now Ferdy, you didn’t tell your Da, yet, who the lass was you liked,’ prompted Cook gently.

There was a gasp as Andwise heard the girl’s name. Then his lips began to twitch and he chuckled and shook his head. Ferdy, flabbergasted at this reaction, threw his hands up in the air. ‘Well there’ll be no help from you two, I can see.’ He said stomping his foot in an irritated manner.

Andwise put his hand on Cook’s arm, as she had begun to chuckle again. ‘Oh, my dear lad. Even your sweet Mother is chuckling a bit over this!’ Cook nodded her head yes at this. ‘You’ll be needing no help from either of us, it seems for speaking to the lass in question.’ Ferdy rolled his eyes and sighed. He was about to make some further protest when Cook spoke up.

‘You’ll be needing no help, Ferdy,’ Cook went on, ‘because the two lasses are one in the same. If you’d stayed to hear me out, you’d have known that!’ Ferdy looked at her, stupefied. ‘It’s Ginger, lad,’ Andwise spoke, telling him briefly how Cook had come to him. ‘Ginger’s the one . . . and apparently the only one for you.’

Ferdy, by this time was gawping like a fish out of water. Tomlin, Gil, Fallon, and Ferrin had crept close enough to hear what was going on. And now they ringed him, Gil clapping him hard on the back to make him breathe.

‘Good one, Ferdy!’ cried Tomlin. ‘She’s a sweet catch!’ laughed Fallon. Gil, who fancied himself the expert on romance in their little group put his arm round Ferdy’s shoulders saying that perhaps he should give him a few pointers. Ferrin rolled his eyes at this offer. ‘Don’t you listen to him, Ferdy! He talks big and that’s about all there is to it.’

Cook and the others drew off, letting the young men sort out this new status for one of their own. Derufin and Jinniver were quickly filled in on what had transpired, both smiling as they looked toward the lads. ‘Well, now Andwise, that went well don’t you think? In the end at least!’ Cook asked with a grin on her face. ‘I wonder, now, how should I tell Ginger about all this.’

Andwise was about to give his opinion when Cook heard a ‘Pardon me’ from behind her. Ferdy had come with the others. He gave them all a serious look as he cleared his throat.

‘Begging your pardon, Miz Bunce. But I’ll be handling it from now on. No need for any go-betweens since it’s clear now where we stand.’ Cook agreed, with the admonition that perhaps it best be done today. ‘After all, she’s the one that came to me. She’ll be wanting to know at the end of the day, what progress I’ve made.’ Ferdy nodded, saying again that he would see to it.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:31 PM   #878
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Location: In a place that is not a place, in a time that never was.
SonOfBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Fili had just finished his ale and was quite enjoying his experience int he inn so far, when Freddy turned to him and said. "Oh my, look at the time! I told Poppy I'd help her with the animals 'fore noon rolls around. Wanna come?" Fili didn't have to think about his answer. "Nope, I think i'm going to stay around here for a bit, I'm quite liking it!" "Yea well enjoy it while it lasts mate." came Freddy's swift reply, "See you later!"

Fili watched his friend leave, and then he turned around on the stool he was on. He took a good look around the room, just soaking it in, when he noticed something. Or rather, someone.

The young hobbit called over the innkeeper, whom he had met earlier, and asked her, "Aman, who is that hobbit lass there serving the drinks?" Fili was quite taken by the girl. All the wonder of his experience at the inn was now focused on her. He hardly heard Aman's answer.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:07 PM   #879
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Soronume took his drink up in his hands and took several sips, though large enough they were to be anything other than sips, yet he drank with a polite decency that none went anywhere other than between his lips and down his dry throat.

Lowering the now emptier cup, Soronume looked out into the room and noticed a maiden had walked in, but not alone. A creature of fair size sat at her feet. Her face was friendly enough, she seemed to be just as happy to be within the inn's walls as Soronume was himself. He wondered if she would like company, and, at that moment, he caught her eyes and returned a smile.

Soronume walked over to her, but not without a few quick shuffles as hobbits ran about the inn's floor with some speed. As he reached her, the creature raised it's head in his direction with a curious and cautious expression. "My lady" Soronume addressed the maiden, "may I be as bold to ask if you would desire company?" She smiled. "Certainly you may ask, but I do have company currently" she replied looking down to her feet. He smiled back, "Then perhaps I can offer you polite conversation instead? That is not something you currently have I believe?" She laughed and gestured for Soronume to take seat near her. "I am Eleniel," she began...
Old 10-10-2004, 01:18 AM   #880
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

GREEN DRAGON INN FACTS:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is: Aman – a young woman from Rohan.

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

Vinca Bunce, widowed, Inn Cook (character played by Piosenniel)

Derufin, the Stablemaster (played by Envinyatar)

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff from Bywater and Postmaster for this area of the Shire; his pony’s name is Dumpling.

Please Note:

No 'SAVES' are allowed in the Inn (except for modifications needed to be made by the Moderators or Innkeeper).

With the exception of the Innkeeper and the Moderators, no OOC (Out Of Character) comments are allowed in the Inn.

Only the Innkeeper, Amanaduial, or the Moderators move the timeline for the Inn forward.

Visitors to the Inn will need to read the posts that come before theirs to get an idea of what time it is in the Shire, what the weather is like, and what is happening.

No violence is allowed in the Inn or on Inn grounds.

Please be familiar with the rules for the Inn and Games in The Red Book of Westmarch, the first topic in the Shire.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Elves in Shire RPG's:

Please use this description from Tolkien when crafting an Elf:

Return of the King – Appendix F: Tolkien’s description for the Quendi (The Speakers) – the name given to the Elves by themselves after they first awoke in Middle-earth.

“They were a race high and beautiful, the older Children of the world, and among them the Eldar were as Kings, who now are gone: the People of the Great Journey, the People of the Stars. They were tall, fair of skin and grey-eyed, though their locks were dark, save in the golden house of Finrod; and their voices had more melodies than any mortal voice that is now heard . . .”

Please use this as a guideline for describing your Elven character’s appearance.

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-10-2004 at 01:22 AM.