The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2003, 09:03 PM   #1
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting saddest part in book

what do you guys think was the saddest part in the books.mine was actually the tale of arwen and aragorn in the appendix that storyu toched my heart and every time i read it i cry it has a very deep meaning to it and you can juast feel there sadness [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I'd have to say it was the scene with Gollum Sam and Frodo on the steps of Cirith Ungol. And then...that...THAT SAM....he just had to ruin everything.

Also, it's very sad when Frodo leaves to the Grey Havens and when Theoden dies and also when Grima dies.

And since you said the books, in The Hobbit, after the battle of the five armies, when they said that Thorin died and Fili and Kili were found dead defending Thorin...that's so sad.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:25 PM   #3
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

deffentily when theoden died and i cried at the havens and when sam comes back that is so sad also the battle of five armies was really sad [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 05:06 AM   #4
maiden of the Shire
Pile O'Bones

maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me, when Frodo leaves Middle Earth. It's especially sad because he sacraficed so much for Middle Earth and then his heroism is hardly recognized in the Shire and he can't even enjoy his home because he's ill and haunted by the quest.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:09 AM   #5
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

From the Sil "Then he came and falling beside Beren spoke for the third time with words; and he bade Beren farewell before he died.Beren spoke not,but laid his hand upon the head of the hound,and so they parted." And so ended Huan the Warhound of Valar slayer of Carcharoth and Draugluin the two mightest Werewolves and the one to defeat Sauron in single combat.To me Huan was one of the greatest heros and it made me sad when he died from the wounds in the battle with Carcharoth. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 06:32 AM   #6
Jurion
Haunting Spirit

Jurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the Sil: At the end of Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age: When The ringbearers sail away.
And of course the Grey Havens in LotR.
Jurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 06:33 AM   #7
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

The Grey Havens just tears me to pieces whenever I have read it. Even just thinking about it is so sad, although at the same time you have to feel happy for everyone sailing to the Undying Lands, especially I think for Galadriel and Elrond. It is the departure of some of the greatest characters I came to love throughout the book (and The Hobbit) - Frodo, Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, and the thought of Merry, Pippin and Sam riding home depressed after that is almost more than I can take.

Plus it's the end of the book, which always hurts. Sam's "Well, I'm back" does wonders for making me feel better, though.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:39 AM   #8
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

The saddest part in the book is definitely the part where you think that Pippin actually dies at the battle before the Morannon. I nearly cried when I read it.
In TTT it was the scene when Frodo talks to Smeagol about his past and when Stinker is debating with Slinker. Everyone around me laughed at Gollum in the theatre, but that scene was one of the saddest I'v ever seen in a movie.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 07:43 AM   #9
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Since I'm one of the biggest Frodo fans I know, I'm going to say that the part that pulled at my heart the most was when Frodo did not have the strength to walk and so began to crawl on his hands and knees to continue on. To me it spoke to the nobility of Frodo and his determination to keep going until his last strength failed him. And Sam's reaction to this broke my heart. GOD! I LOVE these books! I wish there were more Frodo stories!
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:26 AM   #10
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Balin i'm sure that Pippin doesn't die, cause Gimli pulls him from the heap of bodies saving his life. But none the less it was a very sad part cause i myself though he died until i read further.
An extremey sad part was when Gollum nearly becomes good again but Sam ruins it, just knowing that Gollum may have been saved brough a tear to my eye, although i was consoled by the fact by his continued evil peace was brought back into the world.
At the grey havens when Frodo finally leaves his friends and ME, it was also particularly sad for me as i realised that soon there would be no more Elves left in ME, so that tere goodness would never be seen again.
In the Silm when Fingolfin goes out to fight Morgoth and finally after a galant fight dies. (at least i think its Fingolfin). Though again felt better knowing that he humiliated Morgoth (in my opinion) so that no Orc would ever boast of that fight as a great victory
Old 01-14-2003, 11:26 AM   #11
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

This opinion topic has been moved to the Novices and Newcomers forum; you are welcome to continue reading and posting there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:42 AM   #12
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

In the Sil: Lúthien and Beren. I ceied my eyes out...

In LotR(books): Grey Havens (duh), Mount Doom, as well as this quote:
Quote:
To health? It may be so. At least while there is an empty saddle of some fallen rider that I can fill, and there are deeds to do. But to hope? I do not know.
by Eowyn. That is soo sad. *sniff*
Old 01-14-2003, 12:18 PM   #13
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Pippin? Dead? That's what I thought, and I was very sad.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:01 PM   #14
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When Galadriel gives Frodo the phial of light. Breaks my heart. I cry everytime I read it. Also, the Grey Havens. I seriously bawled my eyes out the first time I finished the books. It was just so heart-wrenching!

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 04:22 PM   #15
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

all the sad parts
Old 01-14-2003, 04:37 PM   #16
Eldawen of Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Eldawen of Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The saddest part for me was the end when most of the elves leave Middle-Earth and Lothlorien fades away. Also when you never find out if Sam ever sees Frodo again.
Eldawen of Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 04:47 PM   #17
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Yeah, i also think that the Pippin part was sad. I swear I reread that part like 15 times in disbelief. I kept looking for something that I read wrong before I decided to read on. But when i found out later that he lived, I was so happy and relieved.

I also think that the part when Sam gives the ring back to Frodo is sad. It shows how powerful the ring is. Sam willingly gave teh ring back to Frodo, but still he was reluctant. And it can tear two friends apart like that, in the blink of an eye. What if Sam had been the slightest bit weaker or greedier. The ring can create so much wrong and evil, like Smeagol and Deagol. But I think the saddest part about that is that Sam gave Frodo the ring back, and then the Frodo hallucinates and sees Sam as an orc. That is so sad. And after this, it brings them closer than ever, but it makes it so much sadder when Frodo leaves.

And it's also sad how Denethor took the vision the wrong way and caused bloodshed of Gondor on itself, and how he commits suicide himself.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 04:53 PM   #18
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Ring

I ALWAYS tear up when Frodo explains to Sam that he is leaving Middle Earth. The fact that he bore so much pain and suffering and all he wanted was to stay at home in the Shire. But when he had finally completed his task, he found he couldn't even enjoy it. He was too wounded to live his life in the Shire anymore. *SNIFFLE* I cry until I finish the RotK, ponder over it, then pick the Hobbit back up and start all over.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:12 PM   #19
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I'd have to say that the scene with Gollum on the Stairs, the End, and Merry remembring Theoden in the Houses of Healing.

Smiling Sorrowfully,
Iarwian
Old 01-14-2003, 10:22 PM   #20
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

the whole meaning of the book is sad
saddest thing
when huan died and beren died also the story of turin and neior made really sad
when theoden dies when merry thought of theoden battle of five armies(hobbit) death of thorin kili fili, the tale of arwen and aragorn and when frodo goes to the grey havens and when sam says im back [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 10:26 PM   #21
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Finishing the books really brought me to tears. I have only read the books once so it was really sad. Does that count?
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 10:32 PM   #22
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Saddest parts to me in LOTR are:
  • When Sam thinks Frodo is dead in Shelob's Lair
  • When Frodo and Sam say goodbye at the Grey Havens
  • The ending to the story of Aragorn and Arwen

Also the thought of all the Elves leaving Middle Earth makes me sad as well!
Old 01-15-2003, 12:39 AM   #23
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me, the two saddest parts of the books are When Sam thinks Frodo's dead in Shelob's Lair, and he has to decide if he should go and continue the quest. Or stay with his fallen master (it's just so heart wrenching).
And then the other part is the Grey Havens, because that is just so sad, poor Sam [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] .
I kind of was mad when I got to that part of the book because I thought everything was going to go well, and Frodo was going to stay in the Shire and grow old, but it just does not go that way.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:20 AM   #24
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

The saddest part of the book is when it ends, because you can't read on. When I read it for the first time and came to the "Well, I'm back", i was rather angry because I just didn't want the story to stop. So I started to read it again.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote