The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2003, 07:32 PM   #1
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting When Movies Become Art

Movies will often have moments where they construct shots or sequences where they transend just story telling and stand out on their own. These are the shots where you feel like pausing the film (sometimes you may actually do it) just to admire them or sequences that are satisfying just playing them on their own.<P>This is not about good story telling, character or plot development or technical achievement, though these elements may play a part. It is purely about aesthetics. You don't even need to know anything about the film to appreciate them.<P>I think Fellowship has a number of these moments, some of the more obvious being the sequence that follows the moth to Gandalf on the top of Orthanc or that shot where Arwen faces off against the Nazgul, but there are others. Two Towers seems to have less but one that certainly comes to mind is Theoden's "Where is the horse and the rider" monologue.<P>What are the sequences or shots that do this for you? If you want to bring in other films that you admire, go for it.<P>H.C.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:43 PM   #2
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah, it's so true.You put it far better than I could, however.<BR>The scenes that do it for me are the ones with thrilling music. So, in TTT, two of my favourites are:<BR>- the huge pan across the plains of Rohan, when the Runners are making their way across that huge, beautiful landscape<BR>- the charge of the Rohirrim under Gandalf and Eomer at the Battle of Helm's Deep, going down the hill to that thrilling, exciting (tear-jerking for me) music
Old 05-26-2003, 07:52 PM   #3
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

How about:<P>-The passing of the elves (extended FOTR). That was such a beautiful scene and you really don't have to have a clue what's going on there.<BR>-When the fellowship goes down the Aduin is also a wonderful scene.<BR>-And as said before, Theoden's monalogue. That was a real emotional part of the movie and is something that can be related with real life.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:54 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I definitely agree. I think the entire scene at Helm's Deep was soul-stirring. Each little thing just seemed to touch me deep inside. So by the time Eomer and Gandalf led the charge down the slopes of the Deeping-coomb, I was so overcome by my emotions that I was bawling like a baby in the theater. The wonderfully dramatic music of course didn't help.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:11 PM   #5
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The famous shot of the Fellowship crossing over the hills and plains after leaving Rivendell always manage to thrill me. Also the shot at the end of the film where Frodo and Sam set off for Mordor, and you see the mountains against the sky with these two little hobbits trekking their way towards it, very inspiring <P>The whole first encounter with Gandalf in The Two Towers was amazingly well done. The shots that gave it the extra engery to make your heart beat faster were the close up of Legolas running his fingers across the fletches, and the close up of his eyes. No, I am by no means a Leggyfan, got nothing against him but he's not my favorite part. I just really like those shots. <P>Also with the three runners being surrounded by the Riders of Rohan, very gorgeous and breathtaking presentation of riding skills. <P>However chilling and eerie it was, the opening of the Black gates with the trolls was nice too. <P>The entire Flooding of Isengard was just plain awesome, along with Helm's Deep. Which is saying alot coming from me because I'm not the biggest fan of fight/battle sequences.<P>I'll go ahead and jump on the bandwagon, but why not? It's a good shot: The very end with Gandalf coming over the hill on Shadowfax, then you see Eomer come from behind. <P>Alas, those are my favorites from the top of my head

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:27 PM   #6
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

<I>FotR</I><BR>~the zoomed-out shot of the "arrow" firework<BR>~Gandalf, Frodo, and Sam in the woods before they leave for Isengard and Bree, respectively<BR>~full shot of Rivendell<BR>~the "Free Peoples being consumed by the fire of the Ring" at the Council<BR>~the helicoptor shots of "Anduin"<BR>~the Mirror of Galadriel<BR>~Boromir's death scene<P><I>TTT</I><BR>~Éowyn when the flag falls, just before Gandalf & Co. arrive<BR>~any big, open shots of Helm's Deep<BR>~the mustering of Isengard's host<BR>~Frodo offering the Ring to the Nazgûl
Old 05-26-2003, 08:28 PM   #7
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

At Helms Deep, when Gandalf and the Rohirrium road down the hill. That part was absolutly astounding! I sat mouth open in the theatre. The music helped a lot too. Also when Gandalf road into the orcs. Simply amazing.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #8
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the "two distance" shots. In FoTR, when Boromir is holding the icy, cold, golden ring up on the chain, in the snow. He is looking at it so close up, yet Aragorn and Frodo are still in the middle ground watching.<BR>In TTT the close up shot of the flower at the grave mounds where Theodred is laid. Theoden speaks sadly, the white flower looms large, but the mounds are green and hazy in the mid range. At least that's how I remember it!
Old 05-26-2003, 09:48 PM   #9
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

In TTT I think the whole falling of the flag secne was great and when Arwen and Elrond talk. I liked the last sence,.I think it is very moving, heart-breaking, and bittersweet.
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 11:10 PM   #10
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Almost all of the above, and I don't believe the scene at the bridge in FotR with Aragorn and Arwen has been mentioned... if it has, I blame it on the time that I didn't notice HC, I believe you said it would be okay to bring in other movies, so I would like to mention the parts where Neo is flying in Reloaded... I thought those looked very good.<P>~Menelien
Old 05-27-2003, 03:51 AM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anything that involves charging Rohirrim.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:47 AM   #12
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

How about that bit on The Bridge Of Khazad-dum, where Frodo and Aragorn jump into the arms of the Fellowship and the huge piece of bridge just collapses seconds later.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:00 AM   #13
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

(In order, roughly):<BR>1.The "montage" accompanying Bilbo's voiceover "Concerning Hobbits" from the FOTR EE--we see not only the scenes of that "simple country life" but the rendering of vivid colors (greens, sunlight) that evoke nostalgia for a rural sort of Eden, with Howard Shore's music working on the "other half" of our brains.<BR>2.Gandalf saying to Frodo, as he prepares to leave Bag End on short notice, "after all these years, I never cease to be amazed" by Hobbits--and Frodo, in the midst of his anxiety and panic, suddenly stops and smiles back up at him.<BR>3. Black Riders looming out of the mist.<BR>4. Hobbits out of their element, in the Prancing Pony--suggested by the lighting, the colors, the camera angles, the sound editing...<BR>5. Pullback and long shots of the Halls of Moria (when Gandalf "risks more light")<BR>6. First full view of the Balrog<BR>7. First full view of the Argonath--and birds flying out of nests built in one statue's eye.<BR>8. In TTT: death of Haldir, as he looks back at his fallen fellow Elves--for me it evoked another kind of "the Elves are departing Middle Earth" moment, in contrast to the scene in FOTR where Sam and Frodo see a group going to the Havens.<BR>Confession: I have to try SO hard to envision what's being described in literature, that I LOVE (good) film versions being in my head as I return to the beloved books...What a great thread!<BR>
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 06:08 PM   #14
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I find this thread interesting for that and another reason: my art teacher refuses to like LotR except for the artistic beauty of it, so I need some more parts to think of for her, so I can draw them <P>~Menelien
Old 05-27-2003, 06:57 PM   #15
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Try drawing/painting pictures of Elves. My teacher absolutely fell in love with Elves and Middle-earth after I start doing them for each and every assignment and project that she assigned me in class.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:03 PM   #16
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

You will find that oesn't work on all teachers, Finwe. My teachers, for example, don't find it at all amusing when my textbooks and papers and assignments are covered in Tolkien related pictures... <P>~Menelien
Old 05-27-2003, 07:07 PM   #17
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I think that perhaps you should be selective in where you put the pictures. I find that that helps me greatly. For example, for my English class, almost all of my essays are on Middle-earth or Tolkien. For my world geography class, one of our project was to draw a map, and color it according to both political and geographical features. So naturally I did Middle-earth. For my chemistry class, I did an analysis essay on what Saruman's "exploding ball/gunpowder bomb was comprised of." For my technology class, I recreated/described one of Morgoth's mechanical creatures. For my Environmental Science class, I did a little essay describing the impact of Sauron and Saruman on the environment. I couldn't figure anything out for math, so that was the only one that I didn't do.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:12 PM   #18
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Sting

FotR<BR>~Shot of Frodo reading against a tree<BR>~When Frodo and Gandalf first meet in the Shire<BR>~Fireworks over the fields and the water<BR>~When Sam stops before he's been the farthest he's ever been out of the Shire<BR>~When the wind stirrs up all the leaves, right before the four hobbits hide under the road, yeah, that whole scene, from the running out of Farmer Maggot's farm, to after they run from the black rider<BR>~The big shot of Rivendell<BR>~People like the moth and Gandalf scene. I don't really like that one. I like the one of Saruman on top of Orthanc, where it shows him facing the camera and the green fields and mountains behind him, then it circles around him and we see the storm coming. I think he says, "A new power is rising."<BR>~When the ring falls on the snow and Boromir picks it up by the chain and holds it up<BR>~When the Fellowship on Cahadres decides to turn back, and it goes to the distance/ariel shot<BR>~When Gimli first sees Balin's tomb and runs in to it with the ray of light shining right on the tomb<BR>~Shot of the Hall in Moria<BR>~Shot of the Balrog out of the shadows<BR>~After Gandalf fell, when the Fellowship just comes out of Moria and everyone is greiving<BR>~Walking up to Galadriel in Lothlorien<BR>~The Argonath<BR>~Boromir death scene<P>TTT (From what I remember, I can probably come up with more once I get the DVD)<BR>~Opening scene<BR>~Merry and Pippin entering Fangorn<BR>~Ithilien<P>There were a bunch of shots in Braveheart. Sorry, I don't have it with me so I can't pick them out or tell you where they were. And I'm sure there were scenes in other movies as well, but I can't think of any at teh moment.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 06:52 AM   #19
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In FOTR<BR>- anything to do with the Shire. It was so beautiful.<BR>- the passing of the elves<BR>- Arwen and the Ringwraiths chase.<BR>- Frodo on the balcony looking down into the valley and Rivendell in the backgroud.<BR>- I agree with Willie, Saruman facing the mountain on top of Orthanc was breath taking.<BR>-when the fellowship first enter lothlorien<BR>- sailing down the anduin through the argonath<BR>- Frodo stading on the bank of the anduin, hearing Gandalf's voice<P>There aren't as many in TTT..<BR>- mostly stuff of the three hunters, I like the bit when you see them running as the sun goes down and you can see their silhouettes<BR>- when Theoden drops the flower on the grave of Theodred<BR>-<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> so I would like to mention the parts where Neo is flying in Reloaded... I thought those looked very good. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yay matrix!<BR>okay in The Matrix<P>- The opening scene when Trinity does that amazing kick<BR>- Neo meeting Morpheus for the first time (blue pill or red pill?)<BR>- Neo fighting Morpheus (Do you think thats air youre breathing?)<BR>- Neo dodging bullets<BR>- and finally the closing scene
Old 06-07-2003, 02:31 PM   #20
ArisBoch
Newly Deceased

ArisBoch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

2 moria scenes, besides all the stuff already mentioned:<BR>the balrog, and when all the orcs are coming from everywhere to surround the fellowship, swarming down pillars and everything (i don't know if that's in the books, but it's got to count.)
Old 06-10-2003, 01:34 AM   #21
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I loved that long shot at the start of FOTR where you can see the armies of the elves, men and orcs!!!It looks superb!!!Also in TTT at the Battle of Helm's Deep, where you see the mases of Uruk-Hai!!!