The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #1961
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Having a cold that just will not quit! I've been sniffing away for over a week now and I'm getting very tired of it.
I am going for about a month now, it sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Getting sick during the most critical week of the semester. Having to write a 15 page epic and a 4 page explanation of it by tomorrow morning. It's no fun pulling all-nighters when you're all sniffly and coughing.
Maybe you should do that earlier than the night before your paper is due!

Getting a D+ in your Social Studies class because you went on a stupid vacation and you have things due that never show up to the teacher, which also happens to be the director for the plays and musicals in your school and you are in them both!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #1962
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Getting a nasty bout of flu over Christmas and starting Christmas day with a trip to Casualty rather than early service....(not for the flu but siblings post-operative infection).

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #1963
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Having your car suddenly decide that christmas day night is a good time to have engine failure, in the middle of a snow storm, after it's been into the shop...
Plus, having your mum go into the hospital, and trying to make it back home in time to make everything ready when she gets out of surgery, with the same car.

My ungrateful automotive child...
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #1964
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Eg my beautiful Ghost collection, carefully amassed over years of careful saving and sales-shopping....probably lost forever into the Cracks of Doom that is Heathrow baggage handling.

*sob* This is the worst Christmas ever.
At least you got your Ghost back - I am still grieving for the Ghost frock my sister shredded by putting it in the washing machine at 1200 revs - and wondering if I could possibly repair it ... only bally time she has lifted a finger while staying and she decides to trash my best frock ..

Old 12-31-2007, 09:50 AM   #1965
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Stomach bugs on New Year's Eve. I HATE New Year's Eve, it's actually worse than Easter and everyone knows how interminably dull I find that; NYE has the added problem that you cannot just ignore it without resorting to copious amounts of alcohol. So this morning my stomach decides to wake me by making me be sick all over myself and I have eaten nothing more than ruddy dry toast.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:08 AM   #1966
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
NYE has the added problem that you cannot just ignore it without resorting to copious amounts of alcohol.
Why not? One could simply go to bed, wot?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:43 AM   #1967
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Stomach bugs on New Year's Eve.
I am not a great NYE person because I am usually ill (becasue I am usually on holiday and the bugs I have staved off because I have been too busy to be ill finally catch up with me) and nothing happens near enough to walk to or interesting enough to drive and stay sober for. So I either make a point of going to bedbefore 12 (about the one night in the year! ) or stay on the sofa and sip champagne/ cocktails. I do like Easter - less pressure, nicer food, less financially crippling and friends can take priority over family. And it is the start of my favourite time of the year.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:49 PM   #1968
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Why not? One could simply go to bed, wot?
I'd do just that but the gorilla next door likes to let off large amounts of fireworks. Not in one big five minute display like everyone else, oh no, he's tight-fisted and spaces them out to go off every five minutes until gone 1am. This is not good when you live in a terraced house. It sounds like they're going off in the bedroom

I'll have revenge at around 5 or 6am when the little one is hungry. I shall make sure his basket is placed by the wall...mua-ha-ha...
Old 12-31-2007, 02:25 PM   #1969
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior
Maybe you should do that earlier than the night before your paper is due!
What, me the famed procrastinator? Never!
Though I had actually started earlier in the week, and I would've done during then if I weren't sick all that time. My illness dragged on for a whole two weeks...horrible, horrible! But at least I do tend to work better under pressure, and I think I got a decent grade on that paper.

Continuing on, I assign:

Airlines. And airports. Particularly LAX which is the worst airport I've ever been in. Living in airports for two days and not knowing whether you'll get to go home at all is so NOT fun.

But at last, a very disgruntled me did make it home (thank goodness). Note: a person should not make it to their destination two days after their luggage does.

And from there I should also assign leaving again less than 24 hours after getting home. But that's a whole other story. Let's just say I've had a very crazy holiday traveling experience.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #1970
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
A throat infection that makes eating difficult and more or less painful. (Just the perfect illness for Christmas-time... )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #1971
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
That sudden snapping back to reality that is having to go back to school on the second day of the year (because classes start on the third), and realising that although the holiday break was not really as short as you thought a couple of weeks would be, it was...unproductive. In an academic perspective, anyway.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #1972
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Exams on the 3rd of January.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #1973
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Exams on the 3rd of January.
Ouch. *hug*

And I thought a Physics exam on the 9th was bad enough...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #1974
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
The lack of chili sauce, that itself goes into the Shire for making anything not only taste tolerable but quite often good. Then again it might belong in Orthanc for being quite addictive and spoiling your taste.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #1975
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Waiting. Probably I should add impatience for good measure, since that's really what's getting to me.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #1976
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Norovirus.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #1977
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Professors who do not care about their students. Look, i don't expect a prof to make it EASY for me, but at least make it FAIR when something happens that would affect my performance.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #1978
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Headaches that won't go away.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #1979
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Leaving a wedding reception only to witness the aftermath of a car crash where my friend totalled both his and the other driver's cars. It's not as bad as it could be, though. If his car five more feet forward, he would've been dead or seriously injured.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 AM   #1980
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

A boy I've nicknamed Beautiful (see "What Do you Assign to the Shire" thread)
Old 01-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #1981
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Frozen water pipes! This is our third day without running water. Luckily, my brother has lately bought a house pretty close to us, and we can get drinking water, and water for other necessities, from there.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #1982
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
Night shifts
Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #1983
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Yeah, my mom works in the medical field and she has to work night shifts, it sucks!

I assign the little Terrorist who sleeps at my house (A.K.A) My little brother!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #1984
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Buses that are late. Buses that leave the station in time when you're late yourself (and not even your own fault but the previous bus driver's). Buses that are late when you're in time yourself.
Just add there a blizzard and you know how my day has been.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #1985
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Shocks that leave you feeling you've been kicked in the chest...changes that you don't understand...changes you can't understand or accept...fears that others won't understand you not understanding...growing up...just...stuff.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #1986
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Corrupt politicians!
Old 01-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #1987
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
I haven't assigned anything to Mordor for over a year...Seems I've been a good girl

I don't know whether this has not already been assigned to Mordor, but anyway here I go: I'd like to send Phonetics to Mordor, and also the people who decided to make it a subject that we should study during our first year in college. I'm also sending my future Phonetics exam (which is surely going to be hell) to become one of the most effective torture methods of Sauron.

This being said, Dimturiel goes back to cramming her head with nasal consonants, intonation, cardinal vowels and the like
Old 01-26-2008, 03:50 AM   #1988
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I assign that special sense of deep mortification you can only get when your kid shows you up and makes people think you are a bad parent. Like yesterday when a researcher from the Uni came round to ask me some questions for a project I'm helping with and the little one decided to have a full-on screaming fit complete with red face, tears, going stiff and that special, ear splitting yell, that lasted about quarter of an hour.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:03 AM   #1989
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
I assign that special sense of deep mortification you can only get when your kid shows you up and makes people think you are a bad parent.
Lal.. every adult knows babies cry - either because they know from experience or it is a reason why they haven't had any!

It doesn't make people think you a bad parent. Responding to the kid sounding his barbaric yawp by smacking his head against a wall would make them think you a bad parent....

He has just got a sense of humour unsurprisingly...

Old 01-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #1990
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Always gifted, never cobbler.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #1991
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

The nassty auditions for the spring musical at my school, we have to do this crazy dance...
Old 01-27-2008, 06:54 AM   #1992
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Lal.. every adult knows babies cry - either because they know from experience or it is a reason why they haven't had any!

It doesn't make people think you a bad parent. Responding to the kid sounding his barbaric yawp by smacking his head against a wall would make them think you a bad parent....

He has just got a sense of humour unsurprisingly...
Ah but it does make you feel bad, like everyone's 'staring' at you when your child shrieks. I used to sit and tut myself until I realised that babies aren't angelic little things but are very noisy, smelly and grubby and will put you off curry sauce for life. But still cute of course

And I'm assigning that I've just noticed this will be post 1992 and that makes me feel old as that is when I graduated from Uni and that's flaming well 16 years ago...
Old 01-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #1993
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I must admit that while I realise there is not a lot you can do about a tiny baby, I do find it annoying when small children are allowed to run riot in shops and the parents make absolutely no effort to stop them, or worse smile indulgently... on the other hand my mum used to think "poor little thing - how could that woman shout at that child so?" ..and then she had us....

Old 01-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #1994
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
I do find it annoying when small children are allowed to run riot in shops and the parents make absolutely no effort to stop them, or worse smile indulgently... on the other hand my mum used to think "poor little thing - how could that woman shout at that child so?" ..and then she had us....
For both those reasons, I have to second that strongly.

I was a terrible child when I was little, and my brother almost had his name legally changed to 'Attila' by the age of four. Not to make him look unique in the weird name craze that happened during the 90's, mind you...

As for things that need to be send to Mordor, job-wise, employers with rather nasty people skills. I understand having a bad day, but picking up and yelling in the phone, and then slamming it into the caddy doesn't say much in the way of your character.
I guess I was too polite when putting in a resume by asking permission from the all-mighty manager first.

Oh well, I still have an interview somewhere else, just goes to show I guess.

~ Reflective Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:44 AM   #1995
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Going to the doctor just to placate your neurotic mother and ending up with an appointment to see the blasted asthma nurse. I mean, where's the point! I haven't seen one in years because I've had this since I was 18 months old, I've lived through pretty much every aspect of it, I'm on a drug that has all but cured me and this woman who is supposed to give me advice probably doesn't even have asthma and is quite likely to have been in that field of medicine for less time than I've had the damn thing!

*breathes*

Sorry, but for goodness sake. This woman is so lucky I'm not seeing her today, I know it's not her fault but I would have been so defensive.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:03 PM   #1996
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The Eye

I assign the JERKS who (accidentally?) donated a used syringe to my thrift store - yeah, thanks a lot, one of my co-workers now has to deal with those tests on top of moving to another state. Plus, I hear that it's the third time that a used needle has been found at the GWs in this state - we're all sleeping better in our beds now, thanks a whole lot.

My co-worker should have been more careful yes, but who expects a hypodermic needle in an aquarium?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 PM   #1997
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
People who accuse you of thinking that you know what everyone else is thinking. You can't even make that accusation without doing what you're complaining about!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #1998
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I spend a lot of time translating this song and I did it on LJ, but because I was not completely satified with some of the translations I did not post it. . . My computer for somereason close down the web-browser and for some reason LJ has only saved half of the song and of course it is the last part that is tricky. . .now I have to spend atleast another hour re-translating.

I cannot figure out if I want to assign my self, the computer or LJ to Mordor. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #1999
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Aching. 2 full hours of dance practise including going over motions always leaves me with a sore back, and doing about 6 hours of walking today didn't help!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #2000
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

The nassty document that failed to print that my mom wants like right now...

I'm going to eat our printer!!!!!!!!!