The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tol-in-Gaurhoth LXVIII: A Full Moon Over Innsmouth

"Ah, Innsmouth. What more can I possibly say about our fair city? I get such a sense of history from it, you know. They say we have some of the oldest buildings on the continent here. And even the newer ones, like that Order of Dagon hall, seem to have a sort of ... timelessness about them.

And the people here, well, I've never met a nicer sort. They aren't the easiest to get to know, but once you've been here long enough, nowhere else is nicer.

Over here is the Marsh cannery. It's the only thing keeping this town alive in these modern times. Gods only know why he hasn't moved it to someplace easier to get to, but I'm grateful just the same. Although, we do seem to get lucky with our catch most years. I can't remember the last time we had an honest-to-goodness bad year. Something about the geography of the place seems to bring the fish right to our doorstep, if you know what I mean.

And here's the hotel. Not real busy this time of year, but there's always a few just passing through. Tonight I've counted at least six or eight get off the bus, and not all local boys, either. It's interesting, to say the least.

Hold on a second. I just got an unseasonable chill. Like something stalked over my grave. Alright, let's keep walking.

Well stranger, thanks for talking with me, but it's getting late, and I've got to sleep. My corner's just on the other side of that building. Hopefully I'll see you again sometime."

"Sooner than you would expect, old man."

- from the last conversation of McCaber, town drunk and general layabout.

NIGHT ONE BEGINS. DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD YET.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
A new day dawned over the decaying city. Hakon and Brinniel watched the red sun rise from the ocean. "Just look at that thing. I reckon that's not a good sign." "Nope, not in the least."

Pitchwife, the organ player from a foreign land (Carcassone? Caracas? something like that...) walked over to the church doors. A new sign was nailed to them. Kitanna pulled it down and began to read.

"We stand in judgment on your whole city. We know what you are, and how to stop you. And you will not know us until we strike you down." Signed only with a series of four claw marks. The full moon still hangs in the sky, and a shiver runs down the villagers' necks.

"It seems there's a company of werewolves around here," said the Saucepan Man. "I've only ever seen one of them before, and it gave me weeks of inspiration." Lolsolte, not having that connection to the macabre, wasn't ready to believe it. Nogrod, however, saw the truth in the artist's words. "Such things as werewolves are theoretically possible. In my studies I've noticed several inconsistencies about the moon which might have an amplified effect when ... " Inziladun cut him off. "Now, I don't know about theoreticallys or amplifieds, but I knows bad when I sees it. It's clear these things don't like us, and I mean to set them straight." "But how do we know if this is a serious threat?" Roa asked. "For all we know, they could simply be new mutation of the local ecology, and one we're well equipped to handle."

The argument continued, until Craydon1 dashed into the square, a panicked look on his face. "The blood, the clawing, the [sounds of gibbering, losing sanity] ... That way!" Immediately Morsul the Dark and wilwarin ran off in the direction he indicated. They found Nerwen looking at a large pile of small, red chunks. "Hm. It seems something in this town has bigger teeth than my uncles'. What happened?" After they had explained the situation, Legate was the one who put it together. "Judging by the size of the footprints, the bloody handprints, and his head on a stick around the corner, it's probably McCaber." A Little Green said a few words, before they commended the "body" to the ocean.

It was clear what they had to do. Someone wants to kill, and they're about to get some Innsmouth justice.

Lairen Shadow finally realized that the girl Nienna was only watching the sky. "What's wrong, child?" she asked. The only reply she got was a little tear before Nienna ran and hid.

The Dead:
McCaber, town drunk and general layabout [mod]

The Living:
Inziladun, fisherman
Pitchwife, heretical organist
Loslote, humble seamstress
Hakon, Innsmouth denizen
wilwa, Innsmouth denizen
Nogrod, student of alternate cosmologies
Saucepan Man, disturbed and disturbing artist
Roa, Innsmouth physician (with everything that entails)
Craydon1, penniless drifter
Nienna, "innocent" child and meteorologist
Nerwen, last scion of a decadent dynasty
Legate, displaced scholar of the Pnakotic Shards
A Little Green, blind ex-soldier
Morsul, quiet librarian
Kitanna, Innsmouth denizen
Lairen Shadow, Innsmouth denizen
Brinn, Innsmouth denizen

DAY ONE HAS BEGUN. YOU MAY NOW POST.

Last edited by McCaber; 10-13-2009 at 01:12 PM.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Ai! Ai!
  • Mighty Cthulhu arsing imperiously from the depths of the ocean to crush the empires of man.
  • Hordes of Byakhee descending from blood red skies to torment the gibbering wrecks below.
  • The bewildering angles and unnerving pyramids and domes of the Great City of Celeano.
  • Tentacles slithering in the shadows of the forest as the dread Black Goat of the Woods stirs in her slumber.
  • The mind numbing sight of Lost R’lyeh rising from the waves.
  • The madness inspired by dreams of Azathoth.
These things I have seen, experienced, painted. But Werewolves …? Who ever heard of such a thing? In Innsmouth?

But, who have we here?

Inziladun – I don’t like the look of the scales and webbed fingers. There’s certainly something fishy about him.
Pitchwife – A heretic, yes. But a Werewolf? Well, as far as I know there have been no Werewolves in Innsmouth before, so they’re kind of heretical.
Loslote – Humble? By day maybe. But fanged and hairy by night, quite possibly.
Hakon – Simply a denizen? A man of mystery, more like. Definitely suspicious.
wilwarin – Another denizen? Perhaps that’s two out of the three?
Nogrod – One who studies planets … and moons. Full moons, perhaps?
Roa – A physician? Someone who has knowledge of diseases. Like lyncanthrope, maybe? And wasn’t there something about entrails too …?
Craydon1 – Penniless he may be. But fangless? I wonder.
Nienna – Claims that she’s innocent. That’s a dead give away. Claims to be able to predict the weather too. Aren’t canine beasts known for doing the same?
Nerwen – No wonder that she’s the last scion. All that wolfish night time activity gets in the way of the getting of heirs, I am sure.
Legate – Displaced, eh? Like a Werewolf when in wolf form. No idea what Pnakotic Shards are but they sound sharp. Like claws.
A Little Green – Blind, so clearly relies on her sense of smell. Just like … you guessed it … a wolf.
Morsul – Quiet? But what about after he has locked up the library for the night? Maybe that’s when he gets loud and howly and growly.
Kitanna – Another denizen. Third of the mysterious ones. Third of the Werewolves perhaps?
Lairen Shadow – One more person of mystery. Hmm. Ah, I have it! The Agent no doubt, sent to expose our secrets.
Brinniel – Oh, another denizen. I am out of bad guys. But maybe that’s what she wants me to think ...

On a more serious note, I am expecting everyone to play their full part toDay (and, indeed, every Day). When it comes to voting, we won’t have a lot to go on. But we’ll have even less if people don’t speak up, play their part, make their opinions known. I hereby give warning that I shall not take kindly to those who seek to hide in the quiet shadows of the thread.

So, when I get back, I expect to have lots to review.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
For completeness' sake, let's not forget
The Saucepan Man - disturbed and disturbing. Disturbed by the blood-lust the full moon evokes? And I find this comment rather disturbing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
I don’t like the look of the scales and webbed fingers. There’s certainly something fishy about him.
Surely you must be aware, Mr Sauce, that in this town scales and webbed fingers are a mark of respectable descent, and fishy is actually a synonym for 'trustworthy'? Or do you prefer fur and claws?
His concluding words, however, are reasonable enough, if a little forceful from the mouth of an introvert aesthete.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Who are these interlopers? They are more a threat to us than those government men ever were! But never fear, by our efforts the Deep Ones will yet prevail.
As SPM said, this ought to be a team effort. Those not showing themselves for us must be thought to be against us!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm here! And haven't got much to say...or much to comment on. However, I am ready to pitch in to help find out these nefarious werewolves, and the one who aids them...
Old 10-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
I'm greatly amused.

Thank you SPM for that wonderful list. It looks like we've got a bunch of furry, sharp, strange acting people around here.

I also agree that everyone should participate to their fullest. I'm not the biggest fan of Day Ones but we have to make of it what we will. The village hasn't been doing its best on Day Ones recently and we have to change that streak.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Ring

Ah, day ones, how aweful are they?

Lovely list SPM.

I personally think that aslong as whoever we lynch is not the seer, we'll already be better off then the villagers in some recent games. Besides, statistically it's pretty unlikely that another seer will be lynched Day 1, so I'm already starting off very optimistic. We'll get a wolfy we will!!!

Well, I have to pay attention in class now, just came on to say I am here and should be around later tonight. The deadline is dreadful for me so my vote will be about 4.5 hours early, and it'll be right before school so I may not have much time to catch up and ponder my choice, just warning you now. Day 2 shall be far more convenient for me, so please allow me to last that long.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, so far Day 1 is not off to a very good start. Where is everyone?

Deadline is pretty awful for me, too. It's about 8 in the morning...and I've got school. So I won't be on anywhere near deadline first and probably second Days, but third Day should be good...though I'll likely be dead by then...
Old 10-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Just popping in for a bit, taking a break from reading for class.

Interesting SPM to say that toDay we should all play our parts. At the moment I'm going to assume you mean as a village to try to get the wolves, which we all want to do.

While I'm all for analization and finding suspicion Day 1s tend to not be a good place to look for them, until Day 2.

I do agree with Wilwa about possibly being optimistic and that maybe we can get a wolf on Day 1! And I would also like to not lynch the Seer, I've seen that happen in far to many games recently.

I'll be around later, not sure when I'm going to vote as deadline is 9 AM my time.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Hello friends! I am here, obviously I have not much to say except that SPM looks disturbing and Inziladun looks fishy, and that's about the worst joke ever and not even new. I find it sort of funny that the posts this far have been pretty much people repeating and repeating that we have to be active and contributing. Of course there is the basic Day 1 problem of where to start the discussion in the first place.

As for what comes to taking or not taking kindly to people who are quiet, well, we're back to the traditional loud-quiet debate, and I stand where I always do: different people play with different styles, and I know of no one who would have the authority to define what is enough contribution and what isn't. Still, I don't of course cherish the kind of "pop in, vote, disappear" -tactic unless you're really really busy, and I think everyone should contribute as much as they can. Some people just have less to say (like me), a briefer way of phrasing their thoughts, or less time on their hands. Those, I think, should not be reasons for not taking kindly to people. Making no effort, on the other hand, should.

EDIT: x-ed with Lari!!! I x-ed with someone! Wonderful!
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari
I do agree with Wilwa about possibly being optimistic and that maybe we can get a wolf on Day 1! And I would also like to not lynch the Seer, I've seen that happen in far to many games recently.
Exactly. I think we often forget that it's actually possible to lynch a wolf on Day 1. We easily fall into thinking that Day 1 is a hopeless case and that we're bound to lynch an innocent (or the Seer). That, of course, is a most unhelpful attitude. We definitely have a chance of catching a wolf toDay and we should not forget that.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Hello, I am not going to call you friends, but that's not what we expect from the others in this city anyway, do we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
I also agree that everyone should participate to their fullest. I'm not the biggest fan of Day Ones but we have to make of it what we will. The village hasn't been doing its best on Day Ones recently and we have to change that streak.
That's a good thing to point out, though of course it needs more than words to change it. Anyway, I guess let's see till more people post. The time has not probably yet come for most to post, and the darkness that creeps threateningly upon the shores of New England and strange omens above America's cities will rouse more of their inhabitants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
I personally think that aslong as whoever we lynch is not the seer, we'll already be better off then the villagers in some recent games. Besides, statistically it's pretty unlikely that another seer will be lynched Day 1, so I'm already starting off very optimistic. We'll get a wolfy we will!!!
Statistically or not, let us note that it did happen in the several last games, statistic or not. Though I guess it is more of a matter of group mentality. And bad luck. Basically, it is too random to determine. Of course it is the matter for everybody to try to prevent that from happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
I find it sort of funny that the posts this far have been pretty much people repeating and repeating that we have to be active and contributing. Of course there is the basic Day 1 problem of where to start the discussion in the first place.
That's probably the most substantial point this far, but on the other hand, well, what can we do on first Day. Let's see what happens in a few hours. This far, I don't have any particular feelings on anybody... it could be more interesting once people start to post more (cf. above).

Quote:
Exactly. I think we often forget that it's actually possible to lynch a wolf on Day 1. We easily fall into thinking that Day 1 is a hopeless case and that we're bound to lynch an innocent (or the Seer). That, of course, is a most unhelpful attitude. We definitely have a chance of catching a wolf toDay and we should not forget that.
Yea, let's show some hope, my foul despair-bound comrades...

Now I will just crawl back into my dark gloomy cottage on the black hill whereupon the stars loom hauntingly in the night and the red Aldebaran leers over the horizon like some blasphemous eye chanting a forbidden song, and let the terrible Nogrod take the horrifying square-shaped machine which is flickering with is hideous lights into the darkness of this haunted room so that he can post something, if he will.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hear, hear! Our ex-soldier may be blind, but thank Cthulhu she's not dumb, and she speaks sooth. In fact, I'd say this was the most substantial contribution up to now.
As for the loud/quiet-debate - of course everyone should make an effort to participate to the fullest, but exactly how much everybody's fullest amounts to may and does vary from person to person. It's difficult to distinguish between a naturally quiet citizen, somebody distracted by menial duties, and a lurking wolf; in case of doubt, content should be considered as much as word count.
(By the way, it just occurs to me that the hallowed First Commandment According To Nogrod, "Thou shalt not suffer a submarine to live!", is somewhat problematic to apply in a setting where all of us - except for the wolves - aspire to becoming submarines in the end...)

(x-ed with Legate)
Old 10-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
For completeness' sake, let's not forget
The Saucepan Man - disturbed and disturbing.
Aye. Disturbed that nearly half of the village has not yet spoken. And disturbing? Yes, I plan on causing much disturbance to the Wolves in our midst.

Back shortly ...
Old 10-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #16
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariren Shadow View Post
I'm all for analization
That is an interesting concept for the new cosmology... we may need to study that further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Let's see what happens in a few hours. This far, I don't have any particular feelings on anybody...
Well, of course you don't as no one has done anything.

So think of a detective.... How does one get to start making conclusions? Well, when there is data to build the deductions on. And are there any right now? No.

It's so sad a student of parallel universes has to tell you this universe is dull and void...

And without meaning.

Unless we find some. Let me see...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #17
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Still, I don't of course cherish the kind of "pop in, vote, disappear" -tactic unless you're really really busy, and I think everyone should contribute as much as they can. Some people just have less to say (like me), a briefer way of phrasing their thoughts, or less time on their hands. Those, I think, should not be reasons for not taking kindly to people. Making no effort, on the other hand, should.
Now that's pretty well spoken, and true indeed. There is a difference between adhering to a particular style, and being a non-entity that slips quietly through the cracks.
Seems folks are getting a bit more lively, or at least lively for us. I like the trend.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #18
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
That is an interesting concept for the new cosmology... we may need to study that further...
I missed that one.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Speaking of being distracted by other duties - much as I regret it, I'll have to withdraw from this investigation for a while, as I've got to prepare the music for our next Black Mass*. Received a score from Paris the other day which I hope to transcript for the organ - fascinating material, penned by none other than the great Erich Zann shortly before his mysterious death; that should make a worthy offering to our Father Dagon and Mother Hydra, don't you agree? But I'll be back some hours before the Day ends. Till then, may He Who Dwelleth In The Deep bless your efforts!

(*read: get some sleep before work)
Old 10-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #20
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Let's take the infamous rule that one of the first posters is a wolf as they have a desire to be active...So SPaM, Pitchie, Inzil, Loslote...?

I would be surpriesed indeed if one of them was not a wolf but then again being among the first ones to post should not be a reason to lynch anyone on any Day as such.

Anyway, shouldn't you guys be able to make even one case against someone so that we could get actually started?

Let me show you an example at this time of the Day... (sad it is but it's something compared to what you have done this far)

SPM is just so nice (and a perfect cover making that funny list and all) - but as he has not been around for years I would not like to suggest lynching him toDay on that... Be there real reasons it'd be different.

I get a bit disturbing feeling from Pitchie's first post. It feels like he tries to look like a critical and autonomous person but still rubbing Spm the right way... Also the way he praises Greenie for great points looks more like trying to make friends than actually giving a verdict on something to the benefit of the townsfolk. So slightly worrying.

Inzil manages to post thrice to say nothing in particular. Suspicious.

Loslote looks either lost (with time?) or just pure evil. Nienna looks no better...

But Wilwa then? All the showed optimism and the explanations of not being around all the time... Just what a wolf would write... keeping up appearances, you know?

Lari I'm a bit baffled about as she says basically the same the others before her but I'm not as suspicious of her. Maybe that means she actually is a baddie?

I always suspect Greenie - and she is always a bad girl! Now this much praised talk of the general terms is just what an intelligent wolf would do. Stay on the abstract level and speak of things people would like to hear and agree on. The most basic wolf-tactics...

Legate seems a bit disinterested as well. Nothing to go for without some toil, sure but maybe he's being too easy?

The thing fitting for every wolf: the more we just keep on saying "hi there, nice to meet you" or "let's kill the bastards"; or taking the meta-level in the beginning like "the quiet ones can be productive / should be lynched immediately"; or just plain refusing to "open the game" with any suspicions...

So let's do the town a favour and not lynch the controversial people but a nice one.

The wolwes need to be nice, we don't. The wolves don't need to find the culprits, we have to do that.

They can rub you the right way anyrime, we can't afford that with anyone.

Think about that unless you had more important things to think about...
Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #21
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ring

Hmm, a bit more talking, I like this.

Why can't someone just say something blatanly suspicious so that the rest of us have something to talk about??

Does anyone else adore the fact that McCaber used the word "macabre" in his narration? I think that's amazing....It's like me using the words "ill warrant" or "will war" or something.... [/crazy randomness]

So the thing about Day 1s is that while we're in it they are really mostly useless, there's no one to really suspect and not really much info to go on, we basically just all pick someone random to vote for and try our hardest to find some logical reason for it (I know, no one likes to say their vote is random, but honestly most of the time it is, cause really, there's barely anything on anyone). But Day 1s are sooo useful on Day 2s, therefore we should all help ourselves out and post anyway, even if we have nothing to say or add. Just so that toMorrow we'll have something on everyone!

See, I just posted something that didn't really contain anything overly new/useful, but now tomorrow someone will have something to analyse regarding me.

Now no one should have an excuse for not posting.....

(I had a lovely day, so if I sound a bit weirder then usual it's cause I'm a tad happier then usual)

x'posted with Nog, list!!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #22
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
This is my first time so maybe my reasoning skills are still being tuned but:

I say we lynch Nienna for a few reasons, firstly she acts far too innocent to be also notice Mccab put quotes around innocent Hmm a slip on our mods part?

although Pitwife and kitanna find the note first is a bit odd as well... but I caan't say that Means anything yet

Last edited by Morsul the Dark; 10-13-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #23
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
So think of a detective.... How does one get to start making conclusions? Well, when there is data to build the deductions on. And are there any right now? No.
Not a lot to go on, my dear cosmologist, no. Thus far, everyone seems a bit cagey as if afraid to put a foot (or a fin ... or even a paw perhaps) wrong. But there are a few things that have caught my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife
Surely you must be aware, Mr Sauce, that in this town scales and webbed fingers are a mark of respectable descent, and fishy is actually a synonym for 'trustworthy'? Or do you prefer fur and claws?
I am also aware that scales and webbed hands may hide fur and claws. A perfect disguise, surely, in a village such as this. And yet you seem rather eager to defend Inzil and accuse me, Pitchwife. Did I perhaps hit a raw nerve in my random burblings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larien Shadow
Interesting SPM to say that toDay we should all play our parts. At the moment I'm going to assume you mean as a village to try to get the wolves, which we all want to do.
What else would I mean? And what a strange comment. I am not quite sure what to make of it, but I will be keeping an eye on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Green
As for what comes to taking or not taking kindly to people who are quiet, well, we're back to the traditional loud-quiet debate, and I stand where I always do: different people play with different styles, and I know of no one who would have the authority to define what is enough contribution and what isn't.
Just to be clear. I was not suggesting that we should lynch people for their playing style. I was (and am) saying that I will have no patience for those who look like they are trying to lay low to avoid attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
There is a difference between adhering to a particular style, and being a non-entity that slips quietly through the cracks.
Quite so. And its the latter types that I will have no truck with.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Why can't someone just say something blatanly suspicious so that the rest of us have something to talk about??
Why wouldn't you do it Wilwa?

And I actually mean it whatever your role is. If you get lynched early because of what you say but thus help us others to spot a wolf you'll be a hero. So be brave and open your mind! Why can't you?

And anyway, why will not everyone say things aloud?

Okay the first posters are a thing in themselves as there is nothing to build any opinios on but already now I think there is a lot to be said (which I have kind of tried to exemplify in my last post).

So there are no more excuses to say just "hello", "have a good Day" or "let's get those bastards"...

That's like over and done with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwa
So the thing about Day 1s is that while we're in it they are really mostly useless, there's no one to really suspect and not really much info to go on, we basically just all pick someone random to vote for and try our hardest to find some logical reason for it (I know, no one likes to say their vote is random, but honestly most of the time it is, cause really, there's barely anything on anyone). But Day 1s are sooo useful on Day 2s, therefore we should all help ourselves out and post anyway
It would be much better if you actually said something yourself and not just called for others to say something - as reasonable as that call is in itself.

The wolves love to take that kind of a posture: say what is wise but not expose their own necks to actually do that which they think the others should do...

Okay. Sleep for me as well now but I'll be back later in the Day...
Old 10-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #25
Craydon1
Pile O'Bones

Craydon1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Craydon1 Send a message via Skype™ to Craydon1
So I'm getting that Day 1s are a little slow. Fair enough. Most of my post will be between 5-10 cst which means I won't have much last min input since the deadline is when I'm at work. Hmmmm....oh before I forget Roa is currently on a plane home, so if she doesn't get a post in today that's why. As for giving people something to analyze, what if we figured out a question (or a few) that people could answer that would show something about themselves. Now these questions don't have to be blunt (ex If you happened to be a werewolf, who would you kill?), but something that opens you up for examination. I'll give an example and answer it: What, based on the role you have (publicly) in the town, would you have been doing last night that would make it impossible for you to be a werewolf? Now my answer: I would have been playing my guitar outside a tavern well into the night to try to get enough change for a room or a meal. Just a suggestion to give people something to work with.
Craydon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #26
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Quote:
Let me show you an example at this time of the Day...
Yes, good work and all that, Noggie old chap. And yet, you have simply given a reason for suspecting everyone who has posted thus far. Which might in itself be considered Wolfish behaviour, as you are seen to be making accusations (not 'nice' behaviour, to use your phrase) while remaining entirely non-committal (as between those you have discussed) at the same time.

Quote:
So let's do the town a favour and not lynch the controversial people but a nice one.

The wolwes need to be nice, we don't. The wolves don't need to find the culprits, we have to do that.
But this I agree with. It is in a Wolf's interests to appear reasonable and helpful, to align itself with the majority, and to avoid drawing to much attention to itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark
I say we lynch Nienna for a few reasons, firstly she acts far too innocent to be also notice Mccab put quotes around innocent Hmm a slip on our mods part?
Heh heh. I think that we ought perhaps to credit the poor departed mod with a little more sense. Not that I would discount Nienna from consideration of course. Her one contribution thus far was very 'nice', as Noggie puts it.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #27
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I am going to have to vote in the next hour or two. I don't have time to get on tomorrow morning and deadline is while I am at school. My vote will most likely be whoever comes off as most suspicious in my opinion.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #28
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
While I have already casted my vote Prematurely it seems(I claim Rookie) Given more thought

Pitchwife and Kitana "discovered" the note

Nerwen was the one by the blood and bones

Nienna again maybe she is an innocent ashamed by her other half?

Legate seems learned in Werewolf lore an anatomy..

Hmm... I should have thought about this more before voting...

by the by I noticed people posting their votes in Red how do I do that?

Last edited by Morsul the Dark; 10-13-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #29
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Ring

Quote:
Why wouldn't you do it Wilwa?

And I actually mean it whatever your role is. If you get lynched early because of what you say but thus help us others to spot a wolf you'll be a hero. So be brave and open your mind! Why can't you?
Ahaha, you'd just love that so much wouldn't you Noggy??? But no, I'm not gonna get to play again for a long time so I'm gonna hold on for as long as possible and get the most out of this game. No way am I gonna make it obvious that I'm a wolf just to make you're life easier.....oops .

Quote:
It would be much better if you actually said something yourself and not just called for others to say something - as reasonable as that call is in itself.
I was simply making a point that no one can make the excuse "I didn't post cause I had nothing new to add". I posted and had nothing new to add, therefore everyone can. Something useless is still better then nothing at all.

Obviously I wasn't going to leave it at that and then vanish. That'd be silly. I will be coming on a few more time throughout the Day.

But for now I need badly to do some homework, so I'm going to go for a bit and then come back in about half an hour, ish. Hopefully have something useful to add by then.

x'posted with a few
Old 10-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #30
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post

Hmm... I should have thought about this more before voting...

by the by I noticed people posting their votes in Red how do I do that?
You voted already??? Where?? *confused*

We have to vote in red?? didn't know that...

you do it like this [ highlight ] vote [ /highlight ] (without spaces)
Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #31
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

EDIT I didn't Vote yet??? WOOO

Just proving my inexperience and lack of consideration but I can't retract a vote sooo.... C'est La Vie

also that's why voting in Red Makes sense... Darn I might have actually gotten away with voting again but that'd be unfair.

I still think Nerwen Pitchwife and Kitanna would be runners up in suspicion based on the story not much to go on...

Well then I'll vote this post thinking about it after what's been said
Sorry Nienna I feel like a jerk for using a technicality to change my vote so I have to go with my original impulse I'll be more careful in the future

++Nienna

Last edited by Morsul the Dark; 10-13-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #32
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Don't worry Morsul, you haven't voted yet. Voting is done in a particular way, with double plus signs and in bold type, as follows:

++Name of person you are voting for

I presume that votes should be in bold and don't need to be highlighted in red, as there is nothing that they need be distinguished from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon
My vote will most likely be whoever comes off as most suspicious in my opinion.
And there was me thinking that you would vote for whoever looks least suspicious to you ...

Actually, I think wilwa has it about right. Barring any major slip-ups from the Wolves, Day 1 votes are pretty much random, whatever reasons people might come up with. Except the Wolves' votes, of course. And that is one of the main reasons why what happens on Day 1 can be so useful on Day 2. Which reminds me. Let's try to avoid any major Day 1 bandwagons, shall we? They are terribly dangerous things and they make it much easier for the Wolves to hide their votes.

Edit: Crossed with Morsul. Now I don't know whether you have voted or not ...
Old 10-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #33
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Ring

Quote:
Which reminds me. Let's try to avoid any major Day 1 bandwagons, shall we? They are terribly dangerous things and they make it much easier for the Wolves to hide their votes.

Edit: Crossed with Morsul. Now I don't know whether you have voted or not ...

Oh my yes. Day 1 bandwagons rarely seem to ever do anything good. If it's even possible people should try to avoid paying too close attention to what the vote tally is, just focus on who you want to vote for and don't let others' votes influence yours (unless of course you're voting someone because of their vote). Cause bandwagons suck. A bunch of votes for several people are better, and easier to analyse the next Day. (cause like 13 people voting for the same person provides us with nothing)

Morsul confused me right there. Gonna put it to WWn00byness though.

Should be back in yet another half hour. Sorry for all the little bursts, but really can't avoid it.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 10-13-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: fix quote
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #34
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Morsul, old chap, I'll put this down to WWn00byness too, but it is generally considered very bad form in Werewolf games to edit the content of one's posts in any major way. The reason being that a Wolf could otherwise use the edit function to hide its tracks. You can edit to correct something minor like a typo which doesn't affect the content or to indicate where you have cross-posted with someone but, if you do, you should always give the reason for the edit.

If you need to explain something in a previous post, or add to it, or anything like that, then you should put it in a new post.

I'm off to paint something dark, glistening and tentacled. I'll be back later in the Day.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #35
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ok... So here's my post explaining my old post

I voted, but not really, so then I was going to change my nonexistent vote, then felt it unfair to other players so I kept my original vote.

so In conclusion my vote is:

++Nienna

Morsul then shuffles off into the stacks to look for the official WWGame Guide... Dewey Don't fail me now!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #36
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I don't think narrations provide anything of importance besides who dies. McCaber wouldn't say who was a wolf right in the story. I'd only vote for something someone else has already posted. Then again, I've only got one more game than you, Morsul, so I could be wrong...but I think the narrations have to include everyone, and it would be hard to make everyone seem perfectly innocent.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #37
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Ring

Morsul dear you didn't have to vote again.

There is nothing wrong with multiple posts, heck, we love lots of posts, especially Day 1. So no editing of any sort is needed.

Narrations don't have hints, unless they're crazy ones that only the person being hinted at and the mod can understand, but even those don't occur very often. The only sort of "hints" we'll get is if the ranger protects someone during the night, but even those are usually just said out right and not really hinted.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #38
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Also, you're supposed to be 'invisible' for this game. If you don't know how, there's an explanation in the Admin thread.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #39
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
I get a bit disturbing feeling from Pitchie's first post. It feels like he tries to look like a critical and autonomous person but still rubbing Spm the right way... Also the way he praises Greenie for great points looks more like trying to make friends than actually giving a verdict on something to the benefit of the townsfolk. So slightly worrying.
Quote:
I am also aware that scales and webbed hands may hide fur and claws. A perfect disguise, surely, in a village such as this. And yet you seem rather eager to defend Inzil and accuse me, Pitchwife. Did I perhaps hit a raw nerve in my random burblings?
Both of these comments seem a bit of an overreaction to Pitchwife's first words. Granted, I've no idea if he can be trusted, but I see nothing there of particular note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Well then I'll vote this post thinking about it after what's been said
Sorry Nienna I feel like a jerk for using a technicality to change my vote so I have to go with my original impulse I'll be more careful in the future

++Nienna
The Admin Thread is the place to find info such as how votes are to be indicated and such. It varies from game to game, depending on mod preferences.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #40
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craydon1 View Post
As for giving people something to analyze, what if we figured out a question (or a few) that people could answer that would show something about themselves. Now these questions don't have to be blunt (ex If you happened to be a werewolf, who would you kill?), but something that opens you up for examination. I'll give an example and answer it: What, based on the role you have (publicly) in the town, would you have been doing last night that would make it impossible for you to be a werewolf? Now my answer: I would have been playing my guitar outside a tavern well into the night to try to get enough change for a room or a meal. Just a suggestion to give people something to work with.
Actually, not a bad idea. This gives people a 'reason' to post (answering one problem) and gives other players a chance to see your writing style.

I'd be finishing the hemming and embroidery on the skirt of a dress. The intricate stitching kept me up for a long time, and when I was finished, I was too tired to do anything but sleep.