The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2002, 06:35 PM   #1
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting And now for a brief intermission....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Come talk about the all the movies of the Lord of the Rings, even those animated ones. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That is the little summary beneath "The Movies" forum sign on the Barrow-downs forum board thingy....<P>I've decided I want to talk about "those animated ones."<P>Alas, I have not seen them.<P>Even though TTT is coming out in 29 hours, I think this would be a great time to revisit, rewatch, and review these two "classic" films (and tell me how they were!). It'll take your minds off TTT until you get to see it, keep you sane....we should get the support group over here!<P>Weeeeeeee....back to you, Timmy.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:38 PM   #2
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I saw the animated version of "The Hobbit" when I was 9. I can barely remember it, but for some reason I seem to remember that everything was furry.... I liked how they made Gollum look, though.
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 08:08 PM   #3
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

i still have the VHS film. Its animated and made by Republic pictures and it's "A Saul Zentz production of a Ralph Bakshi film". It has a beautiful painting of Gandalf holding Glamdring pointing and a shining light is coming from his finger pointing the way. Beneath him are (I think) two hobbits, probably Frodo and Sam. The seem to behold Gandalf great and he almost appears to look as great as Moses or Jesus or Abraham or something, and behind him are clouds. To the left the appear stormy, but to the right, they are bright and show a blue skied backround. Gandalf is pointing to the right. I LOVE IT! This is how I was first introduced to LotR, when I was about nine years old. It only covers the fellowship and half of TTT. I think that they were going to make the second half but ran out of funding or used up their budget. That sucks. And I also have The Return of the King animated movie by WB. I didn't like it as much . Its made by the same people that made the animated movie of The Hobbit. <P>Last Christmas I got the three pack that contained all three of those movies on DVD. I noticed however that The Lord of the Rings by republic Pictures was by WB. Does this mean that WB bought out Republic? Anyways, they actually changed some of the footage. At the end of the WB version, a narrator says,"The forces of darkness were driven forever from the face of Middle-earth by the valiant friends of Frodo. As their gallent battle ended, so too ends the first great tale of the lord of the rings." But in the real republic one, it say something like,"Thus ends the first half of the history of the lord of the rings." I think that's it (I can't use the VCR right now, its broken so I can't check. The WB made it seem like it was the end and everything was fine, but the Republic was more accurate.<P>I like the movie a lot and I still watch it today. Has anyone else seen this movie. I just love it. I think first impressions stick with you a lot and I can see it still today. But anyways, I see some similarities between this film and PJ's. I even think he might have seen this and used it almost as a guide. I could go on for a while but here's two. In the animated, the film goes through FotR and half of TTT, then it would have done the rest but for whatever reasons, it didn't finish. In Pj's, they were going to make it into two movies originally, just like the animated. And in both the animated and Pj's, when the Hobbits are going to leave the Shire, it doesn't go along with the book. They both have it as all four hobbits hiding under the road together. Well does anyone else agree with me? And does anyone else love this movie as much as me?

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 09:39 PM   #4
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

The thing I seem to remember more than any other is that Aragorn wears NO PANTS! what were they thinking?<P>I still like the Hobbit and the Lord of the Ring but the Return of the King really bites it!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:08 PM   #5
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Yeah he never wear's pants. All he seems to have is a long shirt that goes to the middle of his thighs and it's cut off in the waist by a belt. Other than that, he wears boots, a cloak, and a band on each wrist and each arm. I'm sure he must have been freezing, it just makes me cold thinking bout it. But not having pants makes it seem more classic. His shirt, gown, or whatever you want to call it goes well with the belt with the huge buckle.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 03:09 PM   #6
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HE DIDN'T WEAR PANTS!!! <P>Good thing PJ didn't dicide to do that in the movie.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:43 PM   #7
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I seem to remember that everything was furry...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That is always what I thought too. I pictured Hobbits more like Ewoks that humans. Oh well. I have seen the animated hobbit but not LOTR. The hobbit was cool when I was little but now it is a bit... scary. I like the songs though, what funny little birds, they have no wings....Ho ho my lad...
Old 12-17-2002, 04:45 PM   #8
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Urg, I didn't like the animated version much. Legolas had wrong color hair!
Old 12-17-2002, 08:25 PM   #9
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Heh heh...sounds...<I>amusing</I>.<P>Anyone know where I could get ahold of a copy?
Old 12-18-2002, 05:23 PM   #10
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Your local Wal-Mart should have a copy, or rent one at blockbuster.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:59 AM   #11
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Manwe, you crazy...<P>I watched the LOTR cartoon not long ago at a mate's place. It remains very faithful to the books, but the animation is so terrible that it's kind of hard to watch. And it stops just as Gandalf rides off to Minas Tirith. Word on the street is they planned a sequel but the first one bombed.<P>But the <B>weird</B> thing is, someone told me they know of a really old live-action film of LOTR (unlikely, I know). A lot of the scenes in the cartoon, with Riders of Rohan and Orcs, look like they have been taken from this live-action one and coloured in in places to make them fit into the cartoon!!!
Old 01-02-2003, 07:26 AM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

There was no previous live-action film, doug*platypus - for the Bakshi movie, many scenes were filmed with real actors. Those scenes were used as the basis for the animated drawings. It was a special technique they used to attempt to make the animation look more realistic.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote