The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2003, 06:51 AM   #1
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting Dr. Saruman or how i learned to stop worrying and love the ring...

Does anyone of you know the movie by Stanley Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove or how i learned to stop worrying and love the bomb?"
If not, it's a movie about the cold war, and eventually the whole world is destroyed by Nuclear-bombs.
Could there be a connection with Saruman?
I mean, he would definitely worry about the ring, and later on he stops worrying and, well not loves, but wants to have it himself.
And if he would have managed to get it, Middle-earth would more or less be destroyed in the end. (example: the Shire, after "Sharkey" has ruled it.)
Any thoughts about that?

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Dear Balin999,

I did not see the movie but I notice the resemblence. Only I think that Saruman would not use the ring for total anyalation, but to rule it. Whole of Arda would have become the shire. Everybody obeying the rules he made and his Orc's would rampage all over Arda. Hmm I think a sertain person would like that.

Greetings,

Anuion
________
MERCEDES-BENZ M113 ENGINE HISTORY

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 03:49 PM   #3
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Actually, in the movie Dr. Strangelove, the world was destroyed by the doomsday weapon that the Soviets had created in case they were attacked by the bomb. This could probably be Sauron's last-ditch effort to destroy whoever had the Ring before falling into the Abyss....probably destroying Middle-earth with him.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:53 PM   #4
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
No way,

Legolas would come and save the day. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Greetings,

Anuion
________
Dodge m37 history

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 04:29 PM   #5
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I think I saw a part of that movie. I saw a part where two guys were stuck in a building with a machine gun and then one of them commits suicide instead of being captured...is that right? Anyways, I really didn't see too much of that movie, but I might rent it or something.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:37 AM   #6
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great post.

Don't worry Balin, we all know you're not an idiot. You're just the devil in a crude disguise. What's with the upside-down 666?

The only Strangelove thing I've seen is where Homer rides the nuclear bomb in The Simpsons (The Cat Burglar episode). But I don't think that complete destruction of the world is what either Sauron or Saruman wanted. They simply wanted everything under their domination and control. They would not have wanted everything completely uninhabitable, at least not uninhabitable by Orcs (and perhaps in Saruman's case men as well).
Old 01-15-2003, 10:10 AM   #7
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

Well, I didn't think of the fact that if Saruman destroyed the world, he had no one to rule... hmm....

Hm and that's a good point, that the ring would kill the one who tried to use it against him. But, then Frodo would have died on Mount Doom after claiming the ring... hm... no he wouldn't have, because he didn'T attack Sauron with it. Difficult question.

Oh, and willkill4food, if that is the most intelligent you can say, f*** off. I don't have a problem with people not agreeing with my opinions, but I do have a problem with people like you, who can't discuss a problem properly. Maybe you haven't learned, yet.
Anyways, don't bother insulting me in the future: I won't react.

The 666 upside down derives from my original nickname in the game "Diablo". I wanted to be named Sauron666, but I couldn't create that account, so it became Sauron999. Balin is one of my favourite characters, too, so that's how I came to my nick. (And thanks for your support).

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:28 AM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I believe in the book that Saruman did not want destruction, but "order". He also wanted the trains to all run on time. If they had had trains, that is.

Makes ya wonder what Stanley Kubrick would have done with LoTR, if he had got his paws on the film rights.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 11:53 AM   #9
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The title of the Kubrick film is meant to be tongue in cheek, how to except an absolutely insane situation and make it quasi-logical. I don't think that applies to Saruman's feelings towards the ring at all.

Kubrick doing LoTR. Wow, that would be interesting (especially considering he's dead [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). Remember The Shining. I think Stephen King fans were ready to linch him. I love Kubrick and I love Tolkien and so I am very glad this never happened.

H.C.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:34 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Off-topic posts with personal insults have been deleted from this thread. This post will also be deleted when it has been read by those concerned.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote