The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2003, 01:38 AM   #1
Rosolas
Animated Skeleton

Rosolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting If PJ asked you to choose another great literary work.....

If Peter Jackson asked you to choose another great literary work for him to direct and put on the big screen, which would you choose? <P>I think the Bible would be a good start
Rosolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 04:24 AM   #2
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Anything either action- or plot-driven would be fine. I don't think I'd trust him with most of the "great literary works". And the Bible just wouldn't be the same without Charlton Heston!! I hope that lots of people have seen The Frighteners, starring Michael J. Fox - that's an excellent flick. Heavenly Creatures is supposed to be absolutely brilliant, I'm sorry to say I haven't seen it.<P>Anything with a supernatural or unusual feel to it would be really well done by PJ. He has lots of great camera techniques for thriller type movies, and he's a wiz with special effects. There's an... interesting short story by Scottish writer Irvine Welsh (of Trainspotting fame) about a bunch of juvenile delinquent aliens taking over a town in Scotland, assisted by one of its former residents. I'd love for PJ to do that. Can't remember what it's called, sorry.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:43 AM   #3
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

For sure a three part film set like PJ did with LOTR about Elric of Melnibone the books by Michael Moorcock.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:53 AM   #4
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The Silmarillion. With the technology they have today, I think it would be an incredible movie.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:07 AM   #5
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmm, I'd like to see PJ make the Last of the Mohicans into a movie. I know it's already been done, but I'd want PJ to stick truer to the book and use his own genius to make it great.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 05:22 PM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I heard he wants to do King Kong, but that is not a great literary work.<P>He could try to do another fantasy film, but he could do anything that is very epic, how about the odyssey, I don't know, I am clueless right now.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:32 PM   #7
Rosolas
Animated Skeleton

Rosolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok, well maybe not another great literary work. How about an event in history?<P>He could do a film on Agincourt, or remake Waterloo. Something along those lines.
Rosolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:13 PM   #8
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I wouldn't trust him with any great literature that I like. I'd tell him to remake the scarlet letter.<P>On the other hand, he would probably do a good job with Beowulf...<P><BR>Iarwain
Old 01-24-2003, 06:43 PM   #9
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I woouldn't choose one. I don't trust PJ as Iarwain said. I just can't trust him with a great piece of literature, whether I like it or not. He made promises that he broke, and that takes away a lot of respect I had for him.<P>But anyways, I'd rather have him do a great tale or something similar. It would have to be a story that doesn't have an original version or something. It has to be something that was 'told' but not recorded word for word. Hmmm...it doesn't seem like I'm making sense at all. Well, the creator of this story had to have told it, but never wrote it. By the time it was written on paper, the story could have been changed, and what was now written is not the exact story. So that way, PJ can't be criticized all that much, and I wouldn't mind if he changed some of it.<P>Oh, wait, I changed my mind. Well, I really wouldn't trust him with that either. He'd probably rearrange the plot too much anyways. Well, I really don't trust PJ anymore so I can't choose anything I'd like for him to put on film. But I might change my mind when RotK comes out, and if not then, then PJ would have to an extremely accurate job on another book. Then, I might choose a book, but I don't know which one I'd pick.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:50 PM   #10
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I think he should do something from the Arthurian legend. Not that there aren't enough movies about King Arthur already, but I think he'd do a great job with it.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:22 PM   #11
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Tolkien

Nobody shoot me please, but I think he should do another of Tolkien's works, like Farmer Giles of Ham. Since he's so insistant on comic relief, I think he'd do a great job. It's a great story and not nearly as complex as LotR. I also think John Rhys-Davies should be Farmer Giles.<p>[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: Fingo ]
Old 01-24-2003, 09:51 PM   #12
Mandos
Wight

Mandos has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

yes, i would love to see the Silmarillion, but it would probably be all cut down and squished together. a Silmarillion movie would have to be just like the book to capture its awesome effect.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:43 AM   #13
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

I like the suggestion of his doing an Arthurian tale. Maybe he can mix the two together and make a movie adaptation of Tolkien's translation (wrong word) of "Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight."<P>I think Liam Neeson would make a fabulous Gawaine (he got to do it once before, but they butchered the part, in fact, it was one of his first roles, in "Excalibur")<P>Also, I like to see what he did with an acting drama. Perhaps it wouldn't work, but it'd be interesting anyway.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 01:19 PM   #14
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know some here don't want PJ trying any more Tolkien-related stories, so don't shoot me for saying this; <P>I think that it would be extremely neat to have him do 'The Hobbit'. I know a lot of people would be petrified to have that book put into a film, but I think it could be really well done. It has such a great storyline and is so much fun. I'm perfectly content to keep it in book form, but I would be interested to see it as a movie. <P>What do you think?<P>~*Laialthriel*~
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 01:56 PM   #15
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would absolutely <B>love</B> to see "The Hobbit" on screen. After that, maybe "The Simarillion".<P>I would got see any other Tolkien related movie, no questions asked.
Sword Maiden Of The Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 02:04 PM   #16
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

propagandalf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

'Legolas and Gimli's Picnic'<P>just kidding. i made up that one.<P>Anyway, I think PJ might do a great job on Homer's Odyssey. The dude who played Legolas could be Telemakhos. But that won't work since he’s already been chosen to play Paris (Iliad). Also, I’d give up my left leg to see PJ make a film version of The Hobbit.<P>I've seen Heavenly Creatures, I recommend it. PJ has a way with the camera that makes the viewers really really nervous, know what i mean? Him and the dude who directed Signs. Their effective use of camera angles to tell a story and/or to set a certain mood is amazing. But enough about that <P>Speaking of camelot, PJ could remake that movie- starring the dude who played legolas as king arthur... nah.. just kidding. that movie is perfect as it is- shouldn't be touched.<P>ok. bye.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:48 PM   #17
Dimannūnien
Animated Skeleton

Dimannūnien has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Is there really going to be a film of the Iliad? I was going to suggest that as one for Peter jackson to try. Who is directing it?
Dimannūnien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 05:15 PM   #18
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Frankenstein. This is a serious suggestion. He is very good at conveying horror, action, and a generally desperate situation.<P>Not the Hobbit. Anything but the hobbit. The hobbit is full of whimsey and delight and focuses on the development of Bilbo's character. How he grew from a bourgeois hobbit concerned solely about pocket handkerchiefs to one who earns the respect of the dwarves and is willing to stick his neck out to do the right thing with the Arkenstone trying to make peace.<P>PJ would be strong on action and put up a good Smaug, but I fear the real heart of the story--Bilbo's growth and growing awareness--would not be adequately portrayed.<P>sharon<P>sharon<p>[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-25-2003, 05:27 PM   #19
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Oh, I think Frankenstein is a good suggestion. I read that book and, well, hated it. But I think the story is very filmable one. What I mean is, Mary Shelley got in her own way with her chapter long rants about how depressed Victor or the Creature were, but she had an interesting idea for a story to begin with. Anyway, I thought the Kenneth Brannagh version was all right, but a PJ version would be intriguing..<P>I also the Hobbit would not be a good idea. Although I think PJ and Co. did a very good job on the Shire (esp. in the Extended Edition) he wouldn't be content to maintain that whimsy all throughout the film.<P>I would say the Narnia books, just because I want a different version than the ones already out there...one with better special effects. But I hear someone else is making them, anyway.<P>And he most definitely doesn't want to do the Silmarillion, he says. Plus, I don't think the Tolkien estate is going to sell the rights to anyone, are they?
Old 01-25-2003, 07:41 PM   #20
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

Sting

re: Dimannūnien <P>The film adaptation of HOmer's Iliad is gonna be directed by Wolfgang Petersen. Apparently, it's going to be called "Troy".<P>Orlando Bloom (Legolas) is gonna play Paris and Brad Pitt is gonna be Achilles.<P>(yoo made me research it )<P>i don't know if they've found a Helen yet. it must be tough to find the "face that launched a thousand ships".<p>[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: propagandalf ]
Old 01-25-2003, 07:50 PM   #21
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I wouldn't trust him with any great literature that I like. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I hadn't thought of that. You're right. I am far too trusting. I would only let him make "my" movie if I had the final say in the development of the script. I see that happening very soon...
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:05 PM   #22
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A live action "The Hobbit" would be alsolutely wonderful. I own the animated version, and it is alright, but I have no doubt that a live action would be spectacular. The Silmarillion would also be nice...<P>~Hirilaelin
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 09:19 PM   #23
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Have you folks heard of a book called "The Phantom Tollbooth" by Norton Juster? That is my favorite book of all time (even though some consider it a children's book...I do NOT) and I think Peter Jackson would do a great job of directing it!! If you know the book, I bet you'll understand.... it has enough fantasy, humor, adventure, and wittiness about it that he could really do something with it. <P>Whaddya think?
Old 01-25-2003, 09:29 PM   #24
Iarwain

Sting

I remember hearing something about that book back in the second grade...<P>I still think Beowulf would turn out great.<P>Iarwain
Old 01-25-2003, 09:40 PM   #25
Aragorn Husband of Arwen
Animated Skeleton

Aragorn Husband of Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What about Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis' works? Like his Space trilogy or the Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe trilogy?
Old 01-25-2003, 09:44 PM   #26
Iarwain

Boots

I wouldn't let PJ even touch the Space Trilogy or Narnia. He doesn't deserve them. They are over his head. Plus, the Space Trilogy could never become a movie, because Perelandra has too many undescribable sensations, and Ransom is running naked throughout the entire book with a nude green woman. I don't think it would be accepted well publicly. <P>Iarwain<P>P.S. Narnia is a series of seven books, not a trilogy<p>[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 01-26-2003, 03:22 AM   #27
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Though some people don't think PJ should do The Hobbit, I can't imagine it happening without him. He helped create ME and everything about it would be different without him. If that happened, I can imagine people who aren't fans possibly not realize that The Hobbit is related to LOTR (yes, people can be that ignorant ).<P>I would like to see PJ turn the Shannara series into a movie. The Heritage of Shannara in particular (a four book story). But I'd only like that if I could write the script.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:34 AM   #28
Dimannūnien
Animated Skeleton

Eye

Thanks, propergandalf. I actually went and researched it myself after I had posted. Should be good.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:54 AM   #29
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is nowhere near a great classic or such, but I think that the book "The named" by Marianne Curley would make an exellent film with the right director. If you have read it then you will know what I mean, though it would be hard. With a little work, it could easily be made into an "epic". It also helps that the author is still alive.<P>I can't wait to see "Troy". It should be good, and I love the story. Wonder if they will leave out the gods and godesses? It could be a very bad movie in the wrong hands.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:40 AM   #30
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

I am very excited to see <I>Troy</I>. It should be good. I am curious to see who they do pick as Helen. I read an abridged version of the <I>Iliad</I> and it was pretty cool. Also, in I think 5th grade, I read the book <I>Behind the Walls of Troy</I> aboud Cassandra and Helen and it was very good. It should turn out great.<P>Peter Jackson ... He is a fantastic director. He took a great literary work like LOTR and changed it just enough to fit the taste of everybody. That's amazing. And he would do a great job on the <I>Narnia Chronicles</I>. If he were to do another movie, the best thing to do would be to choose a novel from the <I>Shannara</I> series by Terry Brooks. It is the second best fantasy series ever, second to LOTR, yet surpassing the <I>Narnia Chronicles</I> (in my opinion). I highly recomend the Shannara books and Peter Jackson ... I could think of no better director to do the Shannara movies. I've read them all (minus the <I>Morgawr</I>) and I think the best one is the <I>Elfstones of Shannara</I>, but I think that the <I>First King of Shannara</I> would make the best movie.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:37 PM   #31
Dimannūnien
Animated Skeleton

Eye

At the risk of being flamed by any Star Wars fans on this site I should like to suggest that PJ remake Attack of the Clones. OK, I know it's not a book, but it would be great to see blue screen scenes that you can't tell are blue screen and for the film to have a bit of excitement. I have just wasted 136 mins (is that all?) watching it and wish I hadn't bothered.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:09 PM   #32
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dūm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would definitely say "The Hobbit." It's already up close and personal to the character, and wouldn't be hard to make fairly exact. I don't think anyone could pull off the Silmarillion itself, but the Lay of Luthien and the Quest of Beren would make an awesome movie, we could even see cameos from Martin Csokas as Celeborn in Doriath, Sauron, the Balrog of Khazad Dum, it'd be okay. But as for the Silm, I think it's great tales of warriors are best left to videogames-a "Dynasty Warriors" inspired game where you take control of Fingolfin or Ecthelion would be excellent. Anyway, after the Tolkien stuff I'd like to see him direct Death Gate Cycle by Weis and Hickman. It's a little different, but could be pulled off, even if it meant seven different movies.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 03:00 PM   #33
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

I know this isn't really a literary work, but another good story, sort of like The Hobbit, would be the story of Sam, after returning home to the Shire. Just a little story about his children, and Rosie and all that. It would be cute. It's sort of vague, and there's really no plot, and PJ's too into special effects for this little fairy-tale so I guess maybe Disney ...<P>Ho, no, just kidding.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:21 PM   #34
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definatly "The Hobbit". Oh, and maybe "His dark Materials." Another Triology. You know that? <BR>I don“t think they should make a movie out of the Sil. No way. It“s complicated to READ, but on screen? It would either loose all the mystic bits, or be kinda booooring, like Heaven. (Actually that“s a great movie just so slooow...)
Old 01-26-2003, 04:12 PM   #35
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would love to see a movie made out of either "Ender's Game" or "His Dark Materials." I think they are being consitered for movies already but it's just rumors. It think PJ would do well on these. "Ender's Game" has to do with the future and alien and all sorts of cool stuff that would be fun to put onto the screen and "His Dark Materials" would give PJ a chance to exercise Weta's CGI tecnology.(almost everyone in the story has a little animal creature called a daemon)<P><BR>Well, that was my two cents.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:15 PM   #36
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now I'm not so sure about my earlier idea of making The Hobbit into a movie...I'm just thinking about how PJ (or whoever directed it) portraying Smaug...and I'm not sure exactly how they would do it. It would be a pretty fine line to walk between keeping him believable and not too fairy-tale like. Because talking dragons have been done so much the director would have to do something extra special to make it be good. It makes me think of the movie "Dragon Heart" and I don't really want The Hobbit turning out like that. But it could still be good. It was just a fun story that isn't quite as 'dark' as LotR.<P>I hadn't heard of 'Troy' until I read this thread. That is so cool! I'm excited to see it come out. I really hope it will be presented properly. <P>What is this "Shannara" (forgive any spelling errors) series? I love the author Terry Brooks but I have never heard of these. I assume they are at least related to the world of ME. Are they worth reading? I'm just a little hesitant of reading something about ME not written by Tolkien.<P>~*laialthriel*~
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:20 PM   #37
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

Thumbs up

no problemo Dimannūnien <P>re: ender's game<BR>That's an excellent book! I'd like to see PJ do that one. Who would play ender? He should <BR>direct the sequel too. I'm sure he'd do a great job with the piggies. Hmm.. I think I'm getting ahead of myself here. hehe.. <BR>yes, yes, we wants it. my precioussss...
Old 01-26-2003, 06:12 PM   #38
Anardil
Animated Skeleton

Anardil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think that The Silmarillion as a whole could be made into a movie. Even as a book it reads more like a chronicle than a novel. I do however think that a number of stories from the Silm (and perhaps Unfinished Tales) could be adapted to movie format. For example:<P>The Tale of Beren and Luthien, and the Silmaril (already noted).<P>The story of Turin Turambar, from his birth in Dor-Lomin to his suicide in Brethil.<P>The story of Aldarion and Erendis.<P>The Akallabeth (from the childhoods of Miriel, Pharazon and Elendil to the Downfall and the founding of the Realms in Exile, or perhaps the overthrow of Sauron).<P>Just a few ideas.
Anardil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 09:22 PM   #39
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I like the idea of Beowulf.<P>What about Tristan and Islde...even though its a love story.<P>How about something involving Vikings? yeah....a Viking story would be great. Swords, longboats and mysticism <P>Glad to hear about 'Troy'...sounds like it'll be interesting.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:21 PM   #40
briananoel

Sting

I think that there is a book series about Merlin that could be done. I don't know if anyone has heard of The Lost Years of Merlin but I thought it was really good because it's the story of his life before he became a wizard. But no one I know has heard of the books (I think there's 5) so I don't think it will be made into a move anytime soon. Oh well.