The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! Downers' Famous Fantasy Five

Now for a little fun at this festive time of year I thought it might be enjoyable to put together a list of what our favourite fantasy fictions are, and maybe find a Top Five (or Ten).

Rules? We need a few. Here they are:
* Choose anything you like, so long as it can reasonably be argued to be 'fantasy' fiction. This might include graphic novels if you wish, or short stories or collections of the same.
* You may of course choose a Tolkien title. Purely for the fact that I want to see how far any of his works trounce the competition and if anyone doesn't choose him. No, I won't call you a heretic and call for you to be burned.
* You may choose a series/trilogy or whatnot if said is generally accepted as such.
* No more than one book or series per author in your Five, purely to prevent anyone having a list which predictably goes: Lord of the Rings; The Hobbit; The Children of Hurin etc.
* Choose according to sheer entertainment factor or literary quality, being 'influential' or merely having a dual purpose as a handy doorstop, that's up to you.
* Scores will follow the F1 pattern as follows: Number 1 choice = 10 points; 2 = 8 points; 3 = 6 points; 4 = 4 points; 5 = 2 points. Subject to Stewards' Inquiry.
* In case of argument I reserve the right to throw in another rule.

Here are mine:
1. Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
2. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
3. Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake
4. The Harry Potter Series - JK Rowling
5. The Sandman Series - Neil Gaiman

That was quite difficult and I shall no doubt regret it in the morning...

We have a very extensive thread listing and discussing all kinds of books here if you seek inspiration: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=1338

What else might you choose? Here are some things to whet your whistle:
The Belgariad; Chronicles of Thomas Covenant; Sword of Shannara; Lyonnesse; The Once and Future King; Little, Big; The Wheel of Time; The Worm Ourobouros; Earthsea; The Weirdstone of Brisingamen; Elric; Chronicles of Narnia; Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell; The Queen of Elfland's Daughter; Shadowmancer; The Dark Is Rising; Discworld; Watership Down; Artemis Fowl; Eragon; Earth's Children; A Song of Ice and Fire; Dune; Sword Of Truth; The Well At The World's End; Conan the Barbarian; Chronicles of Prydain; Lud In The Mist; Phantastes; Weaveworld etc etc................