The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 12:48 AM   #441
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief Wight
Around the Downs In 80 Reps!
They've been there, done that...at least five times.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:43 PM   #442
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Actually, I think they' re up to about ten laps by now. And still spreading the gap!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #443
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well theoretically they haven't completed a single lap yet ( small comfort for those of us passing through the earlier chicanes), since they are still aquiring baubles and attaining new levels - the question is when they have reached the highest level, are they deemed to have reached Nirvana, Downers summa cum laude and with les felicitations de la jurie? Or do they reincarnate and depress the rest of us as they scamper past for the second time ..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 01-10-2005, 03:24 PM   #444
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Lal, why....why....why....did you have to accept the invitation to Elrond's council? Isn't Aragorn's court good enough for you? Anyway, good luck on the jouney.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #445
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
I hope I'll get a good reputation

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Old 01-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #446
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

It will come in good time Finwe. That is if you post good posts, that cause a lot of thinking. Or maybe for another route, just between you and me (or anyone else that reads this). Post here ,(or any of the mirthful threads) people like it when you make them laugh.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #447
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Quote:
Lal, why....why....why....did you have to accept the invitation to Elrond's council? Isn't Aragorn's court good enough for you? Anyway, good luck on the jouney.
Well, I've borrowed Mithalwen's car as I thought it might be in safer hands (sorry, couldn't resist... ), and in the boot I've stowed a barrel of Stewards' pipeweed and a couple of bottles of Gondormorangie. I heard there was a party planned in Rivendell...
Old 01-10-2005, 05:16 PM   #448
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
and in the boot I've stowed a barrel of Stewards' pipeweed and a couple of bottles of Gondormorangie. I heard there was a party planned in Rivendell...
Lal, Lal, Lal welcome, and WELCOME indeed. Do you need any help getting those bottles out of the trunk?

It's so nice to see one of the gentler sex hereabouts. Perhaps you'll have a bit more luck in getting Arwen to speak -- quiet girl. She does have a cousin or something hereabouts who looks a lot like Liv Tyler: won't shut up.

At any rate, party's on the terrace.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #449
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
Well, I've borrowed Mithalwen's car as I thought it might be in safer hands (sorry, couldn't resist... ), and in the boot I've stowed a barrel of Stewards' pipeweed and a couple of bottles of Gondormorangie. I heard there was a party planned in Rivendell...

It isn't the same car ... but this one I have had for 9 of its 15 years and it has survived til now ..really I AM a very good driver .... however I am impressed it made it to Rivendell...

Actually I think you stole it! Slipping off without word. Intent to permanently deprive! I don't suppose you were thinking of coming back and I won't be going anywhere .... And.. and .. you've been smoking in it haven't you?

Old 01-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #450
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Quote:
I don't suppose you were thinking of coming back and I won't be going anywhere .... And.. and .. you've been smoking in it haven't you?
I think it went wild in the Old Forest actually (sorry, ripping off Rowling there ), so it might find its way back to you eventually... I did stop at the Edoras service station to havea smoke, so as not to make it all stinky, so if there's a smell of tobacco then it weren't me, it must've been them sneaky Hobbits.

Now, I must find the buffet as it appears that Fordim, SpM and davem have been cooking up vol-au-vents and garlic bread and stuff... I think Arwen's been domesticating them. What will she have them doing next? Embroidery?
Old 01-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #451
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Ah, good timing, then. One Mithril-spangled banner, please. I'd like it in Midnight Blue, with the constellations Perseus, Andromeda, and Wilwarin.

And a stellar compass would be nice, mounted on the top of the staff. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:58 AM   #452
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Hey, who is that I see carousing about the terrace with Saucepan Man and Lalwende? Is it. . .could it be. . .? It is!

Welcome to the Council of Elrond Child of the 7th Age!!

(Say, do you know anything about looms? davem and I sure could use a break. Oh, and if you wouldn't mind, could you bring me another drink? I'm parched from all this weaving, and the smoke from davem's pipe is rather thick. . .)
Old 01-14-2005, 02:35 AM   #453
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

It's the quiet ones who sneak in unobserved through the back entrance....

"Carousing"? Me? Never....

Thanks Fordim for those kind words concerning the Council of Elrond. The funny thing is I do know how to spin and weave (after a fashion). But this hobbit has no intention of spending her time on domestic labor. I understand they have a good library here, and I intend to use it.

As to being thirsty, I'm partial to miruvor. Frodo and the gang couldn't have taken it all with them.... And bring out some extra as well. I'm sure there'll be a larger party coming up the trail in a very short time.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:19 AM   #454
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Aragorn's court is becoming a lonely place, is it only you and me Mith? Of course, I can't blame anyone if they aren't satisfied with being next to Aragorn, I guess that's the key in life, rising up the ladder, and getting promotions . Good luck on the journey Child.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:37 AM   #455
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Lonely? In Aragorn's court? Have another look, Boromir88 - to get to Aragorn's side, you'll have to push aside Bźthberry, Heren Istarion, mark 12_30, Kransha, littlemanpoet, Rimbaud, Mithalwen, Mister Underhill, Aiwendil, Firefoot, and The Barrow-Wight himself! No sense in trying to push me away - I'm family!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-14-2005, 07:49 AM   #456
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
But, Esty, we can push you away - we just have to rep you hard and send you spinning to visit other set of relatives at Elrond's Council!

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Old 01-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #457
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

So, who comprises our population at Rivendell at this point?

~ Saphy ~
Old 01-14-2005, 11:08 AM   #458
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

[QUOTE=Lalwendė]I think it went wild in the Old Forest actually (sorry, ripping off Rowling there ), so it might find its way back to you eventually... I did stop at the Edoras service station to havea smoke, so as not to make it all stinky, so if there's a smell of tobacco then it weren't me, it must've been them sneaky Hobbits.

QUOTE]
Well I had this message from one B Butterburr, who is managing the Under -Pelennor Garaging " I've something that belongs to you. If you recollect Lalwende and the TWOCing, your car that she took, well it's here. Come back all of itself it did. But where it had been to you know better than I . It had a leaking fuel line and was running on fumes... but it goes..." Well I think it was jolly mean not to get the Noldor smiths to touch up the body work while it was at Rivendell and I will be invoicing for the fuel line ...

Old 01-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #459
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Aragorn's court is becoming a lonely place, is it only you and me Mith? Of course, I can't blame anyone if they aren't satisfied with being next to Aragorn, I guess that's the key in life, rising up the ladder, and getting promotions

Wel I am an under acheiver so I wouldn't know... but I will be glad of your company untill you continue your meteoric rise..... but I am sure there will be new people along as others pass ... I mean HI has been having a quiet phase - I am sure he won't be around long either like bb & Helen .... Oh well at least I will get my own way with the redecorations..

PS To find out who is where, go to Members List and click on "reputation" and it will sort accordingly

Old 01-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #460
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Geetings all you high-achievers!
At the risk of sounding negative, I was wondering if there is a way of turning off the reputation system and simply opting out. While I understand that it was not intended as such, the reputation system seems to have taken on something of the air of a competition on the Downs to see who can accumulate the most points the most quickly. For personal reasons - which I can explain by PM if necessary - I would really prefer not to see the Downs as a competitive place, as least not where I am concerned.

The comments and feedback are nice, but I don't much care for the point accumulation. On the old system where one was rated with bones, I did turn it off. Overall, I see no problem with the system as a whole. Most people seem to enjoy it. I just believe that those of us who wish to avoid competitive situations should be allowed that option.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #461
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

There are no winners or losers on the Downs. Reputations is not a contest, but it is a measurement of approval of and by our members. We are all living within the bounds of the same reputations system, so though some people may be uncomfortable being numerically rated against their peers, everyone is treated equally by the system.

Overall, the Reputations feature of vBulletin has been a positive influence on the Downs. Only occasionally and for very short time periods has it become the main topic of discussion, and when that happened, it subsided as quickly as it started. Most of our members have been prodded by Reputations into cleaning up their posts in both content and appearance. With such forum-wide benefits, allowing people to turn it off would skew the results and make the system inaccurate.

With that said, even if I could turn it off for specific users (I can’t), I wouldn’t. I have been quite happy with Reputations ever since we started using them, and I am sure they will continue to work well for us. I recommend that anyone who perceives the system as negative (or even oppressive?) remember again that the Downs is not a competition. It is just a place for you to read and discuss everyone's favorite topic: Middle-earth.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #462
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Thank you for your prompt response and explanation, Barrow-Wight. I did not mean to imply that I thought the reputation system was a negative or oppressive thing as a whole. As I said in my first post, I believe that most people do enjoy it. I, too enjoy the immediate feedback aspect of it. I just don't care for the idea of point accumulation, as, whether anyone cares to admit it or not, it does lend an aura of competition to posting. Being in the vast minority in my opinion, i.e. not liking the point aspect of it, I had no expectation of or even intention of suggesting that it be stopped for everyone.

Now that you have explained that giving folks the option of not participating would skew the calculations for others, I understand why that option is not offered. That is all I wanted to know.

(Later - Edited for clarity as I wrote this post intially at work & was interrupted just as I went to place it on the thread.)

Last edited by Ealasaide; 01-15-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #463
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
There are no winners or losers on the Downs. Reputations is not a contest, but it is a measurement of approval of and by our members.
Indeed, I enjoy the ratings system not merely for its measurement qualities, but simply because it allows me to direct short expressions of "Good show" or "Well said" to the poster without having to resort to the cumbersome and limited PM system. It works great if I've got a one line comment or something I'd rather not muck a thread up with or that means something only to the poster. It is a quick, on the spot comment system that I've enjoyed using! Good show, BW!

Cheers!
Lyta (that was a slight bit longer than one line!)
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 01-16-2005, 08:14 AM   #464
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Quote:
I just don't care for the idea of point accumulation, as, whether anyone cares to admit it or not, it does lend an aura of competition to posting.
I take that as a good thing. That only prods people to write intriguing, thoughtful, posts and gets you to learn a lot more about Tolkien.

I think also if you look at the discussions on the board (even this one), most people get a long and enjoy eachother's input.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #465
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Welcome and well met Bethberry to the Council of Elrond! Delighted to see you.

Sherry? Pipe? Loom?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:15 PM   #466
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Why, thank you fellow countryman Fordim.. Make mine port, poured, not spattered. And I'll raise a broom to that loom, thank you very much.

Nice to see that we can now rely on Esty's capable hands to keep things in line in Aragorn's Court. Congatulations Esty!
Old 01-21-2005, 04:39 AM   #467
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
HerenIstarion has a place at the council of Elrond.
How in the world can Rivendell make room for five wizards?

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 01-21-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:16 AM   #468
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Easily! They must have all attended the White Council there at some point, surely...
Old 01-21-2005, 05:34 AM   #469
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Lalaith,

Your post above could very easily be a topic of deep discussion, but this is not the right thread to do so.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:01 AM   #470
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

I think a congrats are in order to Heren and Bethberry. May you find prosperity and welcome in Rivendell .
Old 01-21-2005, 11:57 AM   #471
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I am sure you will be joining them soon and a there will be a new influx at Aragorn's court .... I wonder what the next level is ...... a place on the White council? A Captain of the West or perhaps being accounted one of the Aratar?

Old 01-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #472
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

What about "Has a high place at Manwe's council"?

And the final level should be; "Knows the mind of Tolkien."
Old 01-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #473
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Mith:
Quote:
I am sure you will be joining them soon and a there will be a new influx at Aragorn's court
If you are speaking to me, then....I wish I could stay in Aragorn's court. I never liked Elrond, or any of that elvish stuff, I guess I'll just start writing bad posts to get negative reps.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:37 PM   #474
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
What about "Has a high place at Manwe's council"?

And the final level should be; "Knows the mind of Tolkien."
Or how about "Exploded in a Puff of Faerie" or perhaps "Too Lofty for This World"

Cheers!
Lyta (enjoying the Fame of Frodo, an ambiguous rating to say the least, but one that seems to fit! I'd feel a bit out of place at either Aragorn's Court or Elrond's Council!)
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 01-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #475
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

The final title should be "Eru", I mean you can't get any higher then him right?

Or another powerful title name could be one of Gandalf's lines against the Balrog...
"you are a Servant of the Secret Fire."
Old 01-21-2005, 09:35 PM   #476
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
I guess I'll just start writing bad posts to get negative reps.
As if you can, Borrie.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:33 PM   #477
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Final title.

Quote:
The final title should be "Eru" (B-88)
But there can only be one! Must the top repped Downers duel for this final title?
I am immortal, but I can be killed. Yeah.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:02 AM   #478
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyta_Underhill
Or how about "Exploded in a Puff of Faerie"
I like this one, it's quite descriptive of the inside of my head. Lalwende's brains, ever combusting like the universe in an endless cycle of evil pixies and Light and custard.

And welcome to all the lovely new members of Elrond's council! The more the merrier! Anyone fancy a game of Tengwar Scrabble?
Old 01-22-2005, 06:36 AM   #479
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
YAY, my reputation is now 23! Obey me!

*Kid looking with his mouth open and dweels*

I said obey me!

*silence...*

OBEY ME!!!

*Get's a potato of a old man in a wheelchair against the head*

Old man: He he he, you didn't saw that one coming did you laddy? He he he

Ok, it's not much, but it's a good start

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Old 01-22-2005, 10:05 AM   #480
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Anyone fancy a game of Tengwar Scrabble?
Lalwende, you both instigate and inspire! Now I absolutely must do that.
Closed Thread