The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2003, 12:04 AM   #1
LadyMeg
Animated Skeleton

LadyMeg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to LadyMeg
Sting Would Frodo have turned out Like Gollum

Suilad to All,

I hope this subject has not been up yet but if it is please do not take any notice of this post.

If Bilbo had decided to leave the Shire, and Gandalf never finding out about the ring, would Bilbo or Frodo have ended up like Gollum?

Gollum was once a Hobbit so it makes you wonder if the Ring was on it's way to destroying Bilbo, and if not for SamWise Frodo may not have made it to Mount Doom.

Where the Ring was finally destroyed, but it does make you wonder what would have happened if Bilbo and Frodo had kept the ring.

Kind Regards: LadyMeg
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2003, 12:22 AM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Well, I say no. Because Smeagol and Frodo were two very different hobbits (assuming Smeagol is a hobbit). Besides that fact, Frodo did not have to kill anyone to obtain the ring, he inherited it. Bilbo is the same as Frodo, but Bilbo found the ring. And already, before Bilbo even put it on, he was reluctant to give away the ring or to even let Gollum know he had it. But, I think if they became corrupted by the ring, they would probably end up withered and isolated like Gollum, somehow, someway.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 06:06 AM   #3
Earendil evening star
Animated Skeleton

Earendil evening star has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think that with Frodo, it would have taken a long time to make him like Gollum. But he wasn't so easily corrupted to start with plus he didn't kill his best friend.
I think that we actually have to sympathise with Gollum because he could have been an ordinary "hobbit like creature" like the ancestors of Bilbo and Frodo. There are hints in the book where he has human feelings, like when Frodo and Sam are sleeping huddled up together Gollum seems to feel something like compassion, so I think that yes, Frodo would have turned out like Gollum and I think that Gollum is someone to be pitied and not hated.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:54 AM   #4
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

In time, the Ring would have twisted Frodo as it did Gollum. Even Gandalf feared to touch it. If it could corrupt someone like Gandalf, then no-one could take it and remain unchanged. Less potent rings overcame the Nazgul, who were once powerful, strong-willed men.

However, the Ring would never have sufficient time to completely destroy Frodo. If Frodo hadn't taken the Ring to Mount Doom but stayed in The Shire, the Nazgul would have found him and taken the it.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 07:08 AM   #5
Melkor89
Pile O'Bones

Melkor89 has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I believe that eventually, the ring would devour Frodo as it had Gollum. It alreadyy did began at Orodruin. Some people say that It would take longer because Frodo rarely wore the ring, he did not kill to obtain it, and he did not lie about how he came to it. I don't agree, because the ring's power grew ever greater as it got closer and closer to it's master. The ring had already consumed him at Orodruin.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:50 AM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
If Bilbo had decided to leave the Shire, and Gandalf never finding out about the ring, would Bilbo or Frodo have ended up like Gollum?
No because Gollum was captured and Sauron knew of the existence of the Ring and had some pretty good clues to it's where abouts. If Gandalf hadn't shown up, Bilbo and/or Frodo would be dead. Then again, if Gandalf didn't have a relationship with Bilbo, he would never have stumbled upon the Ring in the first place.

Minus all of that, would Frodo or Bilbo have eventually become like Gollum? I think so, it just would have taken longer.

Editted to add: Here's a related question. What if Gandalf never had Bilbo travel with the dwarfs and so Bilbo never had obtained the Ring in the first place? What do you think would have been the likely fate of the Ring and Gollum?

H.C.

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 02-07-2003, 06:16 PM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I agree with those who have commented that Sauron would have prevailed. Unless something else had happened to make Bilbo or Frodo leave the Shire with the Ring, the Ringwraiths would have found it and returned with it to Barad-Dur.

Quote:
What if Gandalf never had Bilbo travel with the dwarfs and so Bilbo never had obtained the Ring in the first place? What do you think would have been the likely fate of the Ring and Gollum?
Interesting question, HC. As I recall, the Ring slipped out of Gollum's posession because it wanted to be found. I think it began to feel its Master calling. Presumably, if Bilbo hadn't been there, it would have been found by a Goblin (as it probably intended) and so would no doubt have found it's way back into Sauron's sticky little (9) fingers. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]