The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2002, 09:56 PM   #1
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Bravo's "Page to Screen - The Lord of the Rings"

The Bravo cable channel will have an episode of the show "Page to Screen" dedicated to the adaptation of <I>Lord of the Rings</I> to the screen.<P>I don't know how much new info will be in this, but it is an original show with "exclusive" interviews with P.J. the cast, and the writers. <P>The show will be on tomorrow, Monday, December 9th, at 8:00 eastern, 7:00 central. <P>(BTW - Hope you all caught Sir Ian on "Inside the Actor's Studio" tonight.)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:04 AM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Yeah I saw that too. It was o.k. and it surprisingly focused more on the history of Ian than I thought it would. I mean that's what they were supposed to do, but I thought that they would rush through all of that and try to focus on LotR more. I didn't know he was knighted either. That queen has knighted two gay's already (Ian and Elton John, there might be more I don't know). What's up with that? The queen has thing for gays or something. Anyways, I'm looking forward to seein the page to screen on bravo tonight. Another thing. On the previews for page to screen, did they say that PJ was married to Fran Walsh? I guess I was just hearing things if its not true. But if they are married, why does Fran keep her maiden name? Does she not want people to know she's married to PJ? Oh well.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:23 AM   #3
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Well I guess no one saw it but us. Oh, did you see the Bravo profile befeore Ian's? I didn't seeing as how I don't like Cate Blanchette very much. So how did you like the page to screen? It was o.k. and it was kind of old information but it was worth watching. I'm glad they adressed the issue of the plot, especially Tom Bombadil/Barrow downs and The Old Forest, and the issue of Arwen's extended role. They did adress it in the extended DVD but this is godd because it was in public TV. It was o.k. for them to cut the Barrow Downs and Tom, but I still hate the fact that Arwen's role had changed the plot so much. I think that it's a bunch of bullsh*t what they said about it. They said that they would only cut out scenes and character's if they didn't deal that much with Frodo and the quest of the ring. Yet they cut Glorfindel's part to make way for Arwen?!?! And they didn't cut Arwen's role, seeing how she doesn't at all relate to the quest or Frodo, instead they made it bigger and changed the actual plot of the book?!?! BULLSH*T!!! I just get so angry when I think about it...The movie was spectacular despite my dislikes about it, so it's o.k. And I guess since they didn't put the Barrow downs in it, its good to have some parts of the book to yourself.<P>The page to screen was pretty good. I saw it at five in SF because Direct TV has its guide and show in Eastern time. And then it was on again at eight for me in SF, so I taped it. To me it was like the extra's in the extended DVD summed up in about 55 minutes. I think that they'll have it inthe extra's for TTT DVD.<p>[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
Old 12-10-2002, 12:00 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Wish I had cable....<P>Oh well, I just thought I'd point out that if you're going to complain about Arwen not having anything to do with Frodo and the Quest, consider that she was Aragorn's guiding light an inspiration, and Glorfindel, well, wasn't. So it's not like he had anymore to do with the Quest then she did. Anyway, I think I've said it a thousand times so I won't repeat myself in any more detail... <I>*everyone breathes a sigh of relief*</I>
Old 12-10-2002, 02:07 PM   #5
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Agrees with Diamond18. I appreciate Arwen's part in the movie. It was nice of them to dig her story out of the Appendix (I know, I know... poor Glofindel.. I am at the point now that I just say, "oh well").<BR>That TV program was alright... it was cool to see Tom Shippey on there, since I saw him speak live at the humanities fest. It was interesting, but there wasn't much there that I hadn't heard somewhere else before.<P>And on a side, nit-picky note... who cares who the queen knights! They derserve it because they are both really talented... take comments like that elsewhere because there have been threads here about it before and they have been closed because people have too strong of opnions about it. So, to prevent further aggrevation, do not post such things here again. It only ends bad.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 05:50 PM   #6
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Why the f*ck do you always think everything I say is negative. I really don't care either, I was just making a god d*mn joke. Jesus Mary and Joseph! I'm sorry if I sound rude, obnoxious, or even insulting but everytime I say some little detail that I don't like you just think I hate it and think that its wrong to say it. Can you just not take everything out of porportion? If I say there is something that I don't like in the movie or something that I don't think I'll like, that doesn't mean I hate and/or will hate the movie. I'm just being critical and finicky. And I am this way a lot because I wish that PJ worked a lot closer to the plot. So don't jump all over me when I say my opinion again please.<P>And if I took your reply the wrong way, then I'm sorry and please let me know. But don't ever tell me not to post something like that again. It was a simple joke and you took it the wrong way. I think that you need to take a chill pill.

-Willie
Old 12-10-2002, 08:14 PM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Well, you cannot tell a person's tone of voice when reading type. I did not swear at you, so you had no reason to swear at me. I do not appreciate that. Plus, my statement was not directed at your whole post... it was just your thing about Sir Ian McKellen (who I think is a brilliant man).<P>Besides, some people may take offence to such jokes.<BR>Good day, and hopefully you will not be so rude to other forum members... I was just stating a fact based on past discussions that took place here. If you were here and read them you would understand more where I am coming from. I am sorry if you must take it so negatively.<P>[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]<p>[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Old 12-10-2002, 09:48 PM   #8
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Well thanks for letting me know how you felt. I'm sorry I swore, I just talk like that when I get worked up. I didn't swear to insult you though. I'll try not to swear again. So lets end this on a happy note this time since we always seem to find ourselves on opposite sides of the argument.

-Willie
Old 12-10-2002, 10:01 PM   #9
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Happy note <P>Well, we come to boards to chat with people who may have different opinions (otherwise we'd all agree and there would be nothing to talk about)... I guess I'll just have to be your "dark nemesis" and you can be mine!