The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2008, 01:40 AM   #81
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
"I listen to The Pogues on a regular basis." ~Halbarad
That's good enough for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwath
Rubens. Yuck. I can imagine Halbarad as a pantalooned courtier romancing billowy women in the Garden of Love, and it's not a pleasant picture.
Then you m'friend, have more strength than I do.
I would have to put out my eyes at the fanciful pantaloons... Then there's the thought of what would happen if the 'Grey Company' had been Rubenified. *shudder*

Okay, no more of this, it's too scary for 12 am or any hour.

~ Ruben Cursing Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:25 AM   #82
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
"I listen to The Pogues on a regular basis." ~Halbarad
I stand corrected.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:15 AM   #83
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Btw. should someone ask Durelin to join as she's both a great WW-player and a fine RPG-writer? And it's always fun to play with her.

Or Valier? Wouldn't this be just a game for her?

Okay, I'll send them a PM if you Legate haven't done it already...
Oh yees, Durelin, how could I have forgotten about her... it's that I haven't seen her around for a looong time. And Valier, yes, that's a good idea as well. Have you already sent something or should I?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #84
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Thanks for the invite, but I must decline. (although it looks like fun) I've been extremely busy as of late and want to spend more time on my rpg. Sorry and thanks again.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #85
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Sad to hear that Valier...

Promise to reconsider.

But wow just look at this thread with the new avvies! It's looking good indeed! Just a few more players and we can be off!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #86
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
MORE PEOPLE NEED TO JOIN SO WE CAN START THE GAME!!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #87
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i think my avatar is fine... gandalf was a superhero enough, just without the cape.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #88
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post

I was thinking something along those lines. Only not so angrily.

P.S. Gil: that made me giggle
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:56 AM   #89
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
i think my avatar is fine... gandalf was a superhero enough, just without the cape.
Yes, but the avatars are to remind us what roles people are playing.

Sally, do you need a quote for Théodred?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #90
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Well yes, indeed. But this far all people I sent PMs to either declined or did not reply at all (possibly they are not around). I wanted to have at least, let's say, fourteen players. If just three or so people joined, it'll be okay. But what if this takes long? Should I start just with the little number of you? Or should I wait - more people told me that after several weeks they would be able to play, but does it make sense to wait like that?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-20-2008, 05:50 AM   #91
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Well yes, indeed. But this far all people I sent PMs to either declined or did not reply at all (possibly they are not around). I wanted to have at least, let's say, fourteen players. If just three or so people joined, it'll be okay. But what if this takes long? Should I start just with the little number of you? Or should I wait - more people told me that after several weeks they would be able to play, but does it make sense to wait like that?
In my opinion, it does not make sense to wait for weeks. I would advise you to wait 'til Easter is over (and I and Agan are back ) and see if you can lure more players and reconsider the situation early next week...

And I still haven't decided which Gildor I'm going to use...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #92
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Don't expect me to change my avy

Allright I have not read all the details yet, but from what Legate told me and what I have glanced upon this game look fairly enjoyable and as such a good one to chose for a comeback.

However I do reserve the right to back out if the start of the game ends up coliding whith a big paper. . .University is what have kept me away from WW for all these months and how long and lonely they have been in my cold barrow.

Anyways I shall be Galadriel!

Oh yeah and here is my prediction of how I am going to play:

I am going to end up in a figh with Noggy, trust Lommy way too much, agree with everything Ka says, get slightly annoyed with Gil-Galad and use all my might to get Menel lynched. . . and of course be very confused about the rest of you.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #93
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Great! Welcome, Rune! I added you on the list. Oh, and, changing avvies of course is just players' initiative and it's optional: and actually in your case, as we know Galadriel was adored by Gimli, now, if she had a beard, who knows, maybe he'd have liked her even more...
Old 03-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #94
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I agree with Lommy that you Legate should wait untilt the Passover is over...

But not longer.

Maybe you should start the game on Monday or even Sunday evening if it's the Night phase we start with.

I might try to persuade some people still if I'd know whom you have already teased with this.

*~*

Nice to see you in WW again Rune! And I can see where your predictions come from! But c'mon, who can disagree or suspect the old Tom?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #95
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post

Sally, do you need a quote for Théodred?
Alrighty then... it is done.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #96
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
That's fine with me, but we could have one more option. Legate spoke about choosing us choosing the ring beerer, and this would be a perfect time to start debating which one of us it should be. Just a little something to fill in the time. What do you think?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #97
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

White-Hand !

Quote:

But not longer.

Maybe you should start the game on Monday or even Sunday evening if it's the Night phase we start with.
Well yes, I think even if no one joins, I could start on Sunday evening with a Night phase. Is this okay with everyone? And what about the DL - is it okay with everyone if I make it 9 PM GMT?

Btw I suggest all people who did not read all the rules yet to do so until that time. I'm thinking now mainly about things like the conventions of calling each other with character and not player names etc. ... (it will be quite silly if someone forgot this rule and that on the game thread)

And what about this voting and retracting? Can everyone cast his final vote whether to allow retractions or not?

And, of course, if there's anything else to the rules from anyone...

Quote:
I might try to persuade some people still if I'd know whom you have already teased with this.
A lot of people. I covered a large bunch of people from the most active members and WW players. There were some to whom I did not write first because I knew they are away, but with some I eventually did later just in case they show up (or their status is "N/A" and they are not posting, but who knows, maybe they are around and just not posting). Some people did not reply to me; probably because they are not present. Tell me whom you want to try and I will tell you if I PMed them or not, it will be easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
Alrighty then... it is done.
Good one, Gil
Old 03-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #98
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
And I still haven't decided which Gildor I'm going to use...
No worries, just keep Alan Lee. Mine kind of creeps me out now anyways... An Italian Gildor?...
Besides, everytime I see yours I think of Alan Lee, which cheers up my day.

Rune's playing?! Awesome! I've only played with him once, and sadly it wasn't for long because of a family emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
I am going to end up in a figh with Noggy, trust Lommy way too much, agree with everything Ka says, get slightly annoyed with Gil-Galad and use all my might to get Menel lynched. . . and of course be very confused about the rest of you.
Oh but come now, everyone ends up trying to lynch Menel for some wholly subconscious but apparently reasonable factor. I have yet to figure this out, for now, I think its just style. I'm probably missing something amazingly obvious, but my brain is fried from finals.

I thought you knew me enough to know everything that comes out of my mouth is complete and utter nonesense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Thankfully the avatar shouts out Gil. If anyone could instill the feeling of an overconfident, satirical and wholly consumed-in-himself Gandalf, its probably him.

I dunno how well I'm going to pull Raddie off, but hopefully the lack of actual in-character material available will give some creative license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Well yes, I think even if no one joins, I could start on Sunday evening with a Night phase. Is this okay with everyone? And what about the DL - is it okay with everyone if I make it 9 PM GMT?
That is fine with me, I have the next week off for spring break and some history studying. Yay! I'll finally be able to say something worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
Just a little something to fill in the time. What do you think?
Well, I guess it depends on how in-character we are willing to be. Considering a few of us in our assumed roles would more likely toss the ring into a ditch, feed it to birds by accident, or forget about it somewhere whilst in mid-chorus.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #99
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka
I thought you knew me enough to know everything that comes out of my mouth is complete and utter nonesense.
I do. . .that is why I am most likely to agree with you.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #100
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I do. . .that is why I am most likely to agree with you.
True, true. Though, it is fortunate enough being a wolf sometimes because no one then sees any warning in nonesense.
I might be killed off anyways, but eh, I'm only about having fun.

You though, you are going to be quite tricky. It's been awhile, and I have no clue what new scheme you're going to pull. Hmmm...

~ Ka
Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #101
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Anyways I shall be Galadriel!
Well, I (of course) considered being Galadriel– I shouldn't even have needed to change my avatar– but then I thought, nah, Saruman would never let her in the Fellowship.

So, how do you suppose you'll handle proximity to the Ring over such a long period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
Well, I guess it depends on how in-character we are willing to be. Considering a few of us in our assumed roles would more likely toss the ring into a ditch, feed it to birds by accident, or forget about it somewhere whilst in mid-chorus.
I think this needs considering. I'll give you my thoughts in a moment.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:48 AM   #102
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Well, that was more than a moment (stupid RL, always getting in the way).

The people I have highlighted must on no account be permitted to carry the Ring:

Gildor Inglorion
Uglúk –Do I have to explain this one?
Tom Bombadil"And if he were given the Ring, he would soon forget it, or most likely throw it away."
Elrohir
Lobelia Sackville-Baggins –With her fondness for pilfering small, shiny objects? I think not.
Elladan
Dáin II. Ironfoot
Théodred
Éomer
Halbarad
Radagast
Gandalf –In his own words: "With that power I should have power too great and terrible. And over me the Ring would gain a power still more great and more deadly (...) The wish to wield it would be too great for my strength."
Galadriel –In her own words: "In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen (...) All shall love me and despair!"

Last edited by Nerwen; 03-21-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #103
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Surely Radagast should make the list as well? I refuse to belive that just because he was fond of animals, he was not powerful.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #104
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:

Gildor Inglorion
Uglúk –Do I have to explain this one?
Tom Bombadil"And if he were give the Ring, he would soon forget it, or most likely throw it away."
Elrohir
Lobelia Sackville-Baggins –With her fondness for pilfering small, shiny objects? I think not.
Elladan
Dáin II. Ironfoot
Théodred
Éomer
Halbarad
Radagast
Gandalf –In his own words: "With that power I should have power too great and terrible. And over me the Ring would gain a power still more great and more deadly (...) The wish to wield it would be too great for my strength."
Galadriel –In her own words: "In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen (...) All shall love me and despair!"
Very nicce Nerwen.

Elladan & Elrohir- These brothers would fall into the Boromir catagory. They hate so much that the temptation to use the ring would be too great to resist, in an attempt to do good.

Radagast- I agree with Rune that Radagast is powerful, and I don't think that anyone with to great a power should be the Rings keeper.

Unless there are any objections, I think that the rest of the characters are fine.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #105
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Yes, I'll add my brother and I to the list... mind you, we might be distracted by trying to lynch Mene– er, I mean Uglúk.

The new, improved list:

Definitely out:

Tom Bombadil –short attention span.
Elladan & Elrohir –emotional baggage.
Lobelia Sackville-Baggins –kleptomania.
Gandalf –too powerful.
Galadriel –too powerful
Radagast –too powerful.
Uglúk –tragic victim of racial stereotyping.

Question marks:

Gildor Inglorion –but can we really trust any Elf Lord?
Théodred –Probably okay, but might "do a Boromir"? Rohan's not that far from Mordor– they're still under threat.
Éomer –ditto.
Halbarad –Can't think of anything.
Dáin II. Ironfoot –Hard to say. The Seven Rings could turn dwarves evil, "filled with wrath and desire for vengeance on all who deprived them," but on the other hand "they were made from the beginning of a kind to resist most steadfastly any domination (...) they could not be reduced to shadows enslaved to another's will."

Btw Groin? I was thinking Dáin didn't get any lines in the main text, but I was wrong. Here he is talking to the Black Rider:

Quote:
At that his breath came like the hiss of snakes, and all who stood by shuddered, but Dáin said: "I say neither yea nor nay. I must consider this message and what it means under its fair cloak."
"Consider well, but not too long."
"The time of my thought is my own to spend," answered Dáin.

Last edited by Nerwen; 03-21-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #106
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Come on, we all know that Halbarad is the only one who could safely carry the Ring. Why? Because he doesn't want it.

Actually, I don't. Give it to Gildor.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #107
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Halbarad –Suspiciously keen to be the Ringbearer.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #108
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Look, just give it to me, OK? Yes, I'm an Orc, but I do whatever the White Hand says. And if the White Hand says to destroy the Ring, I'll destroy the Ring, simple as that.

Personally, I don't care much for all these stuck-up, better-than-thou, High-Elven types. And I like the fat guy with the yellow boots even less. That horrible singing is getting on my nerves! In a worst-case-scenario, I know who I'm gutting for man-flesh first, mark my words.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #109
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Actually I would not mind Lobelia being the ringbearer

Old 03-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #110
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

(not interfering and just enjoying the discussion )
Old 03-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #111
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Orc, I'm sure that I'm not the only one here who would kill you before seeing the ring pass into your hands.

I say let the ranger carry it. He seems to have one of the clearer heads among us.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #112
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Btw Groin? I was thinking Dáin didn't get any lines in the main text, but I was wrong. Here he is talking to the Black Rider:

Yes, I saw that part in the book, but instead I chose Gandalf's quote about Dáin. Since, you have searched throught the books for such a quote for me I'll take that one over mine. Thanks Nerwen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber
I say let the ranger carry it. He seems to have one of the clearer heads among us.
I don't know about that, I'm wary of having any man carry the Ring. I really like the idea of having Gildor carry the ring, but to quote Nerwen: can we really trust an elf [lord]?

EDIT: 400th post!

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 03-21-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #113
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I think that either Gildor or Lobelia would be good Ringbearers.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #114
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, Dain, I certaily don't trust these elf-lords any more than you do. I mean, didn't you hear Elrohir's comment about killing me before I could get the Ring? And all because I'm an Orc? How dare he question my loyalty to Saruman the Wise!

Not that I'd trust you with such a thing either. How do I know you won't keep it? You were perfectly willing to risk many of your friends and relatives over a small portion of your already-vast riches during the Battle of the Five Armies, and that part of the money wasn't even yours to begin with!

A stuck-up Elf shouldn't have the Ring, but neither should a greedy Dwarf like yourself. This matter is better left in the hands of those who only care about what needs to be done.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #115
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
Surely Radagast should make the list as well? I refuse to belive that just because he was fond of animals, he was not powerful.

Good, because I don't want it anyways.

I mean seriously, have any of you ever tried feeding, let alone counciling birds when you have a shiny bit of anything on you? Horrible, horrible logic.

Unlike Gandalf, I will keep it short: I don't think I'd make a very illustrious ring bearer, and for the sake of good dialogue and writing, I think someone else should take it.

Besides *does a runway stance*, gold really isn't my colour.

I think it would be rather interesting to see Menel with this ring, just to consider the back history of such things and the number of people who've been made to hold them, unless a few of you have been sleeping for the past few ages. Elves, Dwarves, Maia and Men have held such things, but really, what about Ugluk's kin?

I wouldn't suggest any of my furry or feathered friends to be ring bearers, anymore than I would simply pick an elve or a dwarve or even Gandalf, because doing something so serious without thought seems hasty to me.

Also, it rings a bit of favouritism too (no pun intended!).

Unfortunately, Radagast apparently knows next to nothing about Hobbits (thought he shares so many likes and dislikes with them), so I'm going out of character to have a pre-cognition about Lobelia's possiblility.

It would also be interesting (and rather, to think of it, 'sticking to the original') to have another Hobbit be a ringbearer, past history aside. I think Lobelia being able to act in her own accordance and in the company of those who can learn from her and give advice in return as well would make a rewarding experience. Then again, what do I know about hobbits?

As for Bombadil, though I respect him for all his wonders and love for the wild, I don't think it would benefit anyone to give him the ring. He is simply not interested and probably has better things to do.

Dain indeed seems wise, of course after many years, and I know of his kin, but as I've said before I would no more favour with logic burdening a bird with the ring than simply giving it to someone.

Galadriel is very wise, but as others have said I will have to agree, she is simply too great to be a ring bearer. As is the same with Gandalf, and even Saruman if he was in the fellowship. Though, whoever does take on this role, I hope they do listen to her good words.

Gildor seems a possible choice, but I think we should have him give his own thoughts before anyone starts collecting votes.

I have to go now, erm, I have to settle a dispute between squirrels and chipmunks on tree ownership...

~ Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 03-21-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #116
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Yes, I saw that part in the book, but instead I chose Gandalf's quote about Dáin. Since, you have searched throught the books for such a quote for me I'll take that one over mine. Thanks Nerwen.
You're welcome.

...And now I think I'd better start getting into character...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Orc, I'm sure that I'm not the only one here who would kill you before seeing the ring pass into your hands.
Indeed, brother. Just listen to him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scheming, Treacherous Orc View Post
A stuck-up Elf shouldn't have the Ring, but neither should a greedy Dwarf like yourself. This matter is better left in the hands of those who only care about what needs to be done.
You mean... like YOU???!! What, exactly, is an Orc's idea of what needs to be done? Slitting all our throats in the night? Torturing us? Eating us? Making off with the Ring?

I say we lynch him now. Why give him the chance to betray us?

Quote:
Elves, Dwarves, Maia and Men have held such things, but really, what about Ugluk's kin?

I wouldn't suggest any of my furry or feathered friends to be ring bearers, anymore than I would simply pick an elve or a dwarve or even Gandalf, because doing something so serious without thought seems hasty to me.
...But you're willing to trust AN ORC with it, just because it would be "interesting"? My good wizard, are you sure you're taking this quest seriously enough?

Quote:
I think Lobelia being able to act in her own accordance and in the company of those who can learn from her and give advice in return as well would make a rewarding experience. Then again, what do I know about hobbits?
I have heard that there are hobbits and hobbits, and that this one has a reputation for being light-fingered... not a good choice.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:07 AM   #117
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hmm, I must say this looks very good I like this pre-game debate very much.

Anyway, sorry to interrupt your enjoyable debate, I just wanted to bring up one thing which is also important, and I have to solve it before the game baggins:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me in the first post
If there are any strong objections against the possibility to retract, you may speak up. (Actually, there were quite a few. So I'd hereby ask people who posted them before to re-post, if possible, so that everyone may read what you think and consider your arguments. The same thing goes with double-lynching, the idea was, if I remember, that if such a thing occurs, we should choose randomly. About this, I also encourage people to speak their minds.)
Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #118
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I love this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
Not that I'd trust you with such a thing either. How do I know you won't keep it?
I have never made any statement which would lead you to believe that I would want such a possesion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
You were perfectly willing to risk many of your friends and relatives over a small portion of your already-vast riches during the Battle of the Five Armies, and that part of the money wasn't even yours to begin with!
*jumps to his feet* My kinsfolk, Thorin, needed my aid and I gave him it. The gold in that hill belonged to the dwarves and the dwarves alone. Besides, was I not generious with distributing it amongst my allies after the battle? Let us keep to the subject at hand, for indeed if we brought up all the orcs wrong doings this council would never end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ka
It would also be interesting (and rather, to think of it, 'sticking to the original') to have another Hobbit be a ringbearer, past history aside. I think Lobelia being able to act in her own accordance and in the company of those who can learn from her and give advice in return as well would make a rewarding experience.
Indeed, hobbits are brave and sometimes can be as hardy as the dwarves, and they know very little about the Ring's capabilities which is very good if Lobelia chooses to be the Ring bearer.

Galadriel and Halbarad have expressed their opinion of having Lobelia carry the Ring. Why is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
I just wanted to bring up one thing which is also important, and I have to solve it before the game baggins:
No problems here.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #119
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Just don't give the Ring to me - I would surely just forget it while singing the praise of nature. But as far as I can see Gildor seems to be the obvious choice, wise and firm elf not so easily corrupted like the humans, powerful as some or fickle and unpredictable as the others.

What comes to the rules I think that allowing retractions greatly enhances the chances of the wolves as they can really use them knowing what they are doing as they are. So if the wolves are the underdogs (sorry about the metaphor) we should have retractions but if the "village" looks weak in numbers we should not give the wolves that advantage.

Double-lynches are ok. to me if we have a lot of players but not if we have a small company.

Also I think that there being an element of randomness in who's lynched in a case of a tie slightly favours the wolves while there being a firm rule about who dies (the first or the last to gain the highest number of votes) slightly evens things up.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #120
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I don't like retractable votes, you make a desition and you stick with it! That is the way I like it.

I like that if I for some reason are not around at the end of the day, I know that the votes that has been casted until then will not be changed.

Also it prevents people from all of the sudden to all cast their vote on the same person. (well, technicaly it doesn't, but in reality does protect against sudden change of heart that often apears at the end of the day)