The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #201
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*Catches up to the rest of the Fellowship* They have a cave troll.

In listening to what Gildor has brought up about our traitorous wizard's dealings, It is quite interesting how Radagast acts like Elrohir and Galadriel are fellow traitors. Interesting also in that he and Bombadil initially did act like fellow traitors until the latter started finding fault in his statements.

Let's see: Radagast could have wondered about Galadriel's silence to throw us off track, that could well be staged. I'd agree that voting for Elrohir would be more risky though.

As for Tom, turning against Radagast is something I wouldn't put past him. He's not the kind that would save a fellow traitor if it meant putting himself at risk. And by doing such a thing, he's effectively distanced himself well.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #202
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Halbarad suddenly awoke alone in the dark. The others were nowhere in sight; evidently he had fallen asleep and left behind.

I'll never hear the end of it if Aragorn finds out! he thought.

He got to his feet and stumbled off in the direction of the drums. He had a not-so-sneaking suspicion that the Fellowship was over there, but it would take him a few minutes to catch up.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #203
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The fellowship moved hastily along the stone passages of Khazadum, always followed by the dulll throb of the drums. After a while of running Dain spoke.

"I must find out what has happened to Balin, allow me to linger ahead of you and search for his remains, for I fear that he and his companions are dead, slaughtered by the orcs. I will not stay far infront of you, but I will not be able to hear your council anymore, therefore I will vote now for who should leave.

"I vote for Tom Bombadil to leave. I do not like the way that he has joined what you call the bandwagon of votes during the last couple of days, and when he is not joining the others he focuses on the quieter members of our fellowship who either refuse to speak, or cannot speak, like he is doing toDay. Also I found his constant babbling during yesterDays voting very disturbing, and he contributed to much of the confusion then. Please forgive if you seem fit not to send him away, I vote is in haste for I must go now before it is to late, I must find Balin. Be wary of Durin's bane, I still fear that it lives!"

And with that Dain bounded ahead of his fleeing companions to search the passageways and rooms in the direction that their flight would take them.

++Tom Bombadil
Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #204
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
"Honourable King Dáin, I appreciate the fact that you agree with me and that you think me innocent, for that is the truth. However, when you say
Quote:
"Gildor, I was glad to hear your words once again, and as usual they offer more incite than any of us here. I do not believe that you are a traitor like the wise Galadriel says, for if you were, would you offer such excellent incite on the words of your fellow traitor? Of course not! For everything that you say about Radagast is true and there has been no misinterpretations.
I do not like the ring of it. You are slightly too eager to pronounce your trust in me and claiming there are no misinterpretations is dubious. For how could any of us know there are no misinterpretations? Even the other traitors cannot tell that. We would need the spirit of the dead wizard to tell us what he thought in order to interpret everything correctly." Then Gildor's features softened. "Maybe it is just weird Dwarven hastiness or fierceness I'm unfamiliar with. I do not think this comment of Dáin's is incriminating, merely that he should probably be more careful when he judges, if he indeed is innocent."

Then he turned his gaze to the Orc. "Uglúk, I think your latest words sounded most sincere. I'm less wary of you than I was a moment ago.

You said
Quote:
As for Tom, turning against Radagast is something I wouldn't put past him. He's not the kind that would save a fellow traitor if it meant putting himself at risk. And by doing such a thing, he's effectively distanced himself well.
and I must agree with it. However, I do not think it would be his first choice of action."

Gildor then glared at Halbarad, hoping he could see behind the stern grey eyes. "You, my friend, I cannot read and you constantly evade my thought. I need to pay far more attention to you."
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #205
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Halbarad finally came upon his companions in a long dark hallway, just catching the end of their conversation.

"I appreciate Gildor's analysis of Ragadast's actions. In some ways, it is the most helpful thing that has been said today. I believe it reaffirms (or at least doesn't contradict) what I spoke earlier, when I said that I found Elrohir and Bombadil the most suspicious.

"However, Gildor also mentions that Galadriel seems suspicious in light of her interaction with Radagast - this I do not understand. If I was to be suspicious of Galadriel, it would be for her poor behavior during the first day and a half, or so, not for her very limited involvement with the wizard. Perhaps I am too trusting, or too dull. I lack Gildor's elven sight and greater experience in these matters.

"I feel as though Elrohir has consistently ignored any attempts to make him speak up, participate, and, especially, explain that irritating first vote, which I cannot forget. Would a traitor not be more interested in appeasing his accusers? I do not know. I must think on it further, but as it stands I am likely to vote against Elrohir or possibly Bombadil - unless Galadriel does something substantial to arouse my suspicion once again."

EDIT: Crossed with Gildor
Old 03-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #206
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Galadriel heard the words Gildor spoke of Ugluk and was suprised by them and so felt the need to adress him.
"It is interesting that I felt quite the opposite when hearing the words of the orc, it is not at all clear what he tries to say, he points out some of the things you stadet earlier, but does not conclude on them.

On a personal note I don't know if he suspects me or not, earlier there was nothing suspiciouse about me and it is not to tell from his last words whether that has changed or not
"

EDIT: Crossed with Halbarad

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #207
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
"It's beginning to look like old Iarwain is packing his things toDay then... unless of those who have already spoken about their intention of voting me two are traitors themselves..." Tom sighed and shook his head. There seemed to be no believable chances for him to continue with the fellowship. After a while he smiled though. But I'm getting back to see Goldberry... and I don't need to face the one I sense is on the move deep down in the mines. Throw me thousand orcs and I will sing them away but that one could challenge even old Ben Adar...

He looked at the fellowship, or what was left of it.

"But at least one thing I will tell you if I'm not around toMorrow. And that is why I have not talked about our master dwarf until now. He was over-eager to support me and to trust my words and overjoyed to hear me talk on the first Day - and on the second as well. It was puzzling but I thought he might have been the seer who had had a dream on the Night before and knew I am innocent. A little clumsy seer - or overenthusiastic to press his point - but anyhow. Now he has turned his mind a full round as it starts to look possible that I might indeed be voted off. And how come he starts the same thing with master Gildor here affirming everything he says so as to be in good terms and not gather suspicion?

But I must tell you Daín that I did not not-suspect you because you rubbed my back nicely but because I thought you might be the seer. Now as I see you're not and as I see how you try to take your chances in sending yet another innocent away I must say that you have risen pretty high on my list of suspicions."

He sat down and draw breath. There was a mixed feeling of joy and sorrow in him. But even if he was to go he would try to help these heroes for five of them were still good and just two were rotten. But even one rotten apple can waste a whole basket.

EDIT: X'd with Galadriel & Halbarad: oh my...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #208
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

*continues running from the goblins*

Well, I think I've made my points pretty clear. Time to vote.

++Tom Bombadil

Anybody but me think we might be running in the wrong direction? I'm seeing some kind of strange fiery light ahead, and that threatening smell from earlier is getting stronger as we run toward it...
Old 03-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #209
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
"Iarwain speaks as if he was dead already... which could be because he's a traitor and traitors always over-estimate the pressure on them." Gildor sighed. "I do not know. I am suspicious of him, yet I'm not. There's a lot in him that does not sit right with me, but on the other hand, he does not seem particularly guilty. And if it comforts you at all, Iarwain, I must say I'm by no means decided on sending you away, you're but one of many options.

Halbarad - indeed, a Radagast-Iarwain-Elrohir trio is possible, one of those I've been thinking about. I thank you for saying it aloud and helping me shape my thoughts on the matter. It would be a foul and deceitful trio, but a possible one. I can see those two nature-lovers turning against their companion who fails to speak up or make a lot of sense. I still hesitate... would this be too easy?

And I must disagree with you, Halbarad, here
Quote:
However, Gildor also mentions that Galadriel seems suspicious in light of her interaction with Radagast - this I do not understand. If I was to be suspicious of Galadriel, it would be for her poor behavior during the first day and a half, or so, not for her very limited involvement with the wizard. Perhaps I am too trusting, or too dull. I lack Gildor's elven sight and greater experience in these matters.
for why I suspected her was rather how she declared him innocent and how he slightly defended her.

You also said
Quote:
I feel as though Elrohir has consistently ignored any attempts to make him speak up, participate, and, especially, explain that irritating first vote, which I cannot forget. Would a traitor not be more interested in appeasing his accusers? I do not know.
to which I would like to say: yes, a traitor called Elrohir would. I do not claim to know him well, but his manner in a thing like this could be as sly as that."

Gildor paused, glanced at the roof and grieved that he could not see the stars. He had never been one to enjoy himself indoors. Then he continued.

"I find it almost scary how much I agree with Halbarad at the present. Either it is because innocent minds often think alike, or then he is a treacherous traitor who seeks to gain my trust."

He smiled.

"Speaking of gaining my trust, it seems like almost everybody here is agreeing with me, calling me helpful and not suspecting me. It seems like people want to be friends with me. Which I would have nothing against if two of you weren't traitors. A refreshing exception to this party of admirers - if I may phrase it in such a comical way - is lady Galadriel, and that is one of the reasons I'm leaning to considering her innocent." He nodded approvingly to his mighty kinswoman.

"On a totally different subject, one thing we have not talked about very much is Éomer's death. I know our journey in the dark draws near its ending, but I still must see if this awakens any discussion. We have been so delighted by his braveness that we have forgotten about an important aspect of the happenings at the gates of Moria. Why was he killed? Someone said he might have suspected toi be the seer. If I have spare time, I will indeed have a closer look at it because it indeed might give new insights to this situation."

edit: xed with Uglúk
Old 03-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #210
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
"With some of the last one task I may spare your work master Gildor. I said the traitors might have thought her the seer as she was one of the few who suspected Radagast the traitor.

And yes I speak like one who's going home already as at least three members of our fellowship have already spoken of their willing to vote for me and with this company of eight it's more or less a done deal then. That's maths and probabilities, not over-reacting.

But to a graver matter - for some of you will be alive and need to go on with the mission the council sent us. You didn't turn your ear to my worries about Radagast yesterDay evening - and I admit it came too late and is then also my fault. I should have realised it earlier. But it also seems that you're now totally ignoring my worry about Daín as well."

He turned towards Gildor and challenged his eyes. "At least you should have shown some concern as you're the next one the dwarf is trying to embrace into your death... unless you're his mate that is.

I mean how come such a seerish looking person is alive in the first place, one who trusts so openly someone the traitors know to be innocent? Also the fact that Radagast totally ignores him and he only makes a few totally unforthcoming mentionings of Radagast suggest a possibility of a treacherous link between them. It's not the worst case suggested these days.

Although I feel there is a more active traitor among us and I just hope you will be able to fish him out from the lot early enough.

But you will have one Day to mull over these things, right? After that it's over if you miss then as well."

Tom seemed to have an idea and a slight smile appeared to his face albeit a sad one.

"It's quite ironic that I should be in a position where Lobelia was yesterDay and to feel like saying that the outcome of your votes will be exactly what you deserve..."
Old 03-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #211
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Elrohir finally broke his long silence.

"I am sorry that I have not spoken much on this journey, for much of my time has not been my own to spend.

To set this straight: On the first stage of the journey, I voted for the orc because I was running out of time and had no real leads. I defaulted to racism, my brother died, I rethought my positions. Ugluk, I truly am sorry for that first vote. I acted through hatred, which can only lead to breaking this fellowship further. You might not believe me, but it is so."

He turned to glance back at the entrance to the chamber.

"It seems that time is running short, and yet I still have much to say. But I shall close my thought with this: A traitor I might have been, but I am not a Kinslayer."
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #212
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

"Iarwain, you say
Quote:
But it also seems that you're now totally ignoring my worry about Daín as well."

He turned towards Gildor and challenged his eyes. "At least you should have shown some concern as you're the next one the dwarf is trying to embrace into your death... unless you're his mate that is.

I mean how come such a seerish looking person is alive in the first place, one who trusts so openly someone the traitors know to be innocent? Also the fact that Radagast totally ignores him and he only makes a few totally unforthcoming mentionings of Radagast suggest a possibility of a treacherous link between them. It's not the worst case suggested these days.
and that may make sense. I have not suspected Dáin much because he simply hasn't looked partcularly suspicious to me. I must reconsider this all know and I'm very aware that there are far more faces to this thing - and other things - than I will talk about out loud. I need to muse through everything King Dáin has said before judging him finally and I'm afraid there won't be time for that here in Moria."

Gildorhalted and listened to the drums. Then he continued. "I will now speak plainly. Galadriel and Théodred I now believe innocent. If I had to guess, I would say that Uglúk and Dáin are innocent as well, but I'm not sure here at all. I believe the two remaining culprits may well be among Halbarad, Elrohir and Iarwain. I'm very unsure and would need to re-think everything in order to be clear.

This maybe an unwise folly, but for today, I'm afraid I do not care so much about how is lynched. I am eagerly waiting for our next travle phase when we know the roles of two more people. Then, if there are still two traitors in our midst, we will have the final fight in which I will take part wholeheartedly and there will be a lot of clues around. However, I do not advise you to adopt this attitude. Although I do suspect Iarwain, if he's innocent, his death would indeed be a grievous loss (but would remove an enigma, that I do admit).

Is there anyone else but me who would favour voting Lord Elrohir out today than me? Like I said I'm in a mood for gathering clues and I will feel far more safe next time we debate if I do not have such an uncertainity factor lurking around. And besides, one can hardly claim his actions have been innocent-looking."

edit: xed with Elrohir
Old 03-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #213
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Theodred watched as the remaining members of the fellowship spoke further of the traitors. So far, two of the fellowship had decided that Tom Bombadil should leave their midst; Theodred thought this to be a mistake.

"My friends, let us please consider that Tom took suspicion of Radagast at my request; after all, I was the one who requested more attention be paid to the fellow.

"I think that Bombadil is innocent. I implore you to see reason, for it seems unlikely that Bombadil would turn on his fellows unless forced to do so, as Gildor has pointed out today.

"To briefly speak of the orc, I will say only this for now. He said when voting for Bombadil,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel
Well, I think I've made my points pretty clear. Time to vote.

++Tom Bombadil

Anybody but me think we might be running in the wrong direction? I'm seeing some kind of strange fiery light ahead, and that threatening smell from earlier is getting stronger as we run toward it...
It is as if he KNOWS that Bombadil is innocent and that leaving him behind would be a mistake, but he votes for his removal anyway. This bodes ill for my suspicions of Ugluk, as until now I had thought him perhaps innocent; now I am not so sure. Would you care to explain your statement?"

Theodred knew that, with the day drawing to a close, much had been said since he had begun speaking. He paused briefly to re-collect his thoughts and to listen to what others had said.

EDIT: crossed with everything since Ugluk's vote
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #214
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien;"I will now speak plainly. [B
Galadriel[/B] and Théodred I now believe innocent. If I had to guess, I would say that Uglúk and Dáin are innocent as well, but I'm not sure here at all. I believe the two remaining culprits may well be among Halbarad, Elrohir and Iarwain. I'm very unsure and would need to re-think everything in order to be clear. "

"I urge you to keep in mind, sir Gildor, that both the traitor Radagast and our Halbarad voted to excuse Elrohir from our company yesterday, and that it was likely he could indeed be voted out. I find Halbarad more suspicious of the two, if only marginally, and thus I think it is safe to assume that if Halbarad is a traitor, Elrohir is not. I would just like to point that out before someone takes your words and incorrectly assumes Elrohir and Halbarad to be traitors together."

"My friends, the day draws to a close, yet only two votes have been cast, and even those I do not agree with. Where are you, my companions? Please speak again quickly so that we may make the wisest decision of whom to cast out." With that, Theodred again fell silent.

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 03-29-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: just added to avoid a triple post. didn't change anything else.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #215
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

"If not for his last words I might have answered positively for voting Elrohir but when he says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohir
A traitor I might have been, but I am not a Kinslayer
It looks like he has rather lost his wits and is probably innocent - even if very unhelpful one at that. Yes that kind of an elf is a danger to our mission and there's no need of forlonging his pain in this dark place we've run into, but if we wish to catch a traitor it would be more like a shot in the dark. From my point of view sure infinitely better than expelling me as I know I'm no traitor but can't know it of Elrohir."

X'd with Théodred
Old 03-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #216
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Elrohir finally broke his long silence.

"I am sorry that I have not spoken much on this journey, for much of my time has not been my own to spend.

To set this straight: On the first stage of the journey, I voted for the orc because I was running out of time and had no real leads. I defaulted to racism, my brother died, I rethought my positions. Ugluk, I truly am sorry for that first vote. I acted through hatred, which can only lead to breaking this fellowship further. You might not believe me, but it is so."

He turned to glance back at the entrance to the chamber.

"It seems that time is running short, and yet I still have much to say. But I shall close my thought with this: A traitor I might have been, but I am not a Kinslayer."

"Alas, Elrohir, you have complicated matters. I was intending to vote for you, but if your repentance is as sincere as it seems, how can I? My instinctive reaction is that this is indeed genuine, and now I am forced to give more serious thought to Bombadil and Galadriel. To be honest, I almost wish that you had said nothing at all, as you were the straightforward, obvious vote for me.

"However, you may be simply telling me what I want to hear, so I am not going to dismiss you just yet. On the contrary, I am going to continue to weigh you against the other candidates for the present. It is too soon following your apparent repentance to be certain one way or the other."
Old 03-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #217
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

"Uglúk is monomaniac like his kin,
but he doesn't watch carefully for his own skin.
Over that I have long had to ponder
he might be innocent, I wonder?"

"But Halbarad the ranger
seems to try to avoid every danger.
Trailing others' suspicions to push over
those in trouble while remaining himself in cover"

X'd with Halbarad + added italics
Old 03-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #218
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
"Gildor, I understand that you are nervouse about sending Iarwain away in case he is indeed true to our quest, as he could be a magnificent asset. Even I have my doubts about sending him away, but if we don't he will take up too much of my focus and he is still by far my top-suspect."

"Ugluk I find is acting more and more suspicouse, he agrees with Gildor on a few points with out making any conclutions and then turns up and vote! What is one to make of that? It sertainly frustrates me"

EDIT: Crossed with Iarwain and Halbarad

Old 03-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #219
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"So it seems that either Halbarad or myself is a traitor in the eyes of the fellowship.

After looking back on the ranger's words, I can only say that he looks treacherous, as does fair Gildor. I will have to devote more thoughts to this matter."
Old 03-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #220
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

"I was about to sing of you too my lady Galadriel but your reasoning forces me to speak plainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel
Even I have my doubts about sending him away, but if we don't he will take up too much of my focus and he is still by far my top-suspect.
Now if this doesn't soundlike a speech of a traitor, then what would sound like it? If you're innocent you want to make it right and you don't go on excusing your choices with that kind of reasoning. Trying to justify a vote with the grounds that someone would occupy your mind too much is pretty much the same as to say "I don't care, lynch anyone as long it's not me or my fellow-traitor".

And please all of you ask yourselves toMorrow the question why did you think old Tom was suspicious as all the claims made this far are just ridiculous."
Old 03-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #221
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

"Having considered Galadriel's behavior, I am growing more convinced that either she or Tom Bombadil must be a traitor. Bombadil is undeniably more suspicious than Galadriel at the moment, but should Tom prove innocent...

"But how to vote? I am torn."
Old 03-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #222
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

"I might not have spoken clearly before. If I vote for Iarwain it will be because of his very suspicouse behaviour, not because of the focus he will take away from me. I for one always feel a bit of doubt just before making major desitions and I thought that is what Gildor felt as well, so I wanted to convince him to ignore these feelings"

++ Tom Bombadil

EDIT: Crossed with Halbarad

Old 03-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #223
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

"Iarwain - I agree with you on Elrohir but not on Galadriel. I see nothing particularly wrong with her reasoning.

Théodred, once again you talk sense.

I will vote for

++Halbarad

For he is quite suspicious and now that Elrohir looks quite innocent only he and Bombadil remain on my list of suspicious people and I'm more and more unsure of Bombadil... I might like to give him one more day.

If I'm alive the next day there will be a lot of reconsidering for me to do."

edit: xed twice
Old 03-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #224
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
"Gildor, I understand that you are nervouse about sending Iarwain away in case he is indeed true to our quest, as he could be a magnificent asset. Even I have my doubts about sending him away, but if we don't he will take up too much of my focus and he is still by far my top-suspect."

"Ugluk I find is acting more and more suspicouse, he agrees with Gildor on a few points with out making any conclutions and then turns up and vote! What is one to make of that? It sertainly frustrates me"

EDIT: Crossed with Iarwain and Halbarad

"Lady Galadriel, I think that someone taking up too much of your focus is NOT a legitimite reason to banish them from the fellowship. Having thought you innocent until now, and still inclined to believe so, why do you make such a statement?

I do, however, agree with your points upon Ugluk. At first, we all desired his departure because of his race, and for a time I think we ignored his potential harm for the same reason. If he does not leave our company today, I am inclined to give him a much more severe look tomorrow."
Old 03-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #225
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elrohir turned suddenly.

"We must be gone quickly, but before I leave I shall simply say

++Halbarad

looks the most treasonous at the moment. He has thrown suspicion everywhere, and only kept to those accusations seconded by others."

EDIT: crossed with Galadriel, Gildor, Theodred
Old 03-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #226
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
but should Tom prove innocent...
Remember this toMorrow. Quite a nice self-defence.

And don't forget Daín either. Or Gildor. Or Galadriel.

And shame on your weak wits.

I'll pack my things then. And don't bother, I know the way.

Oh... the only thing I can do now.

++ Halbarad
Old 03-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #227
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

"I, on the other hand, believe you to be innocent, Elrohir. Therefore, I shall vote, not you, but

++Galadriel

Old 03-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #228
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Because I find Bombadil more innocent than he....

++Halbarad
Old 03-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #229
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
DEADLINE

Everyone stop posting now. Votes after that do not count.

Narration coming up soon. Nightly birds may start doing things....
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #230
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

If I go away don't send Halbarad away. His vote showed it...

Sorry was late and X'd with the last after Gwath
Old 03-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #231
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Tom had hardly spoken these words, when there came a great noise: a rolling boom that seemed to come from depths far below, and to tremble in the stone at their feet. Then there came an echoing blast: a great horn was blown in the hall behind them, and answering horns and harsh cries were heard further off. There was a hurrying sound of many feet.
"They are coming!" cried Elrohir.

With great speed, Dáin hurried into the room. Arrows whined and whistled down the corridor as he sprang in.
"I was lucky to have found you!" he cried.
"You were lucky to reach us in one piece," said Théodred, drawing his sword. "Have you seen them coming?"
"There are Orcs, very many of them," Dáin said. "And some are large and evil: black Uruks of Mordor. For the moment they are hanging back, but there is something else there."
"There is a cave troll," said Uglúk. "I saw him."
"Then there is no hope of escaping that way," said Gildor.
"We may cut our way out yet," gnarled Uglúk. "It is not the first time I led a squad out of such trouble. We only must - "

He did not finish. There was a horn-blast and a rush of feet, and orcs one after another leaped into the chamber. How many there were the Company could not count. The affray was sharp, but the orcs were dismayed by the fierceness of the defence. Elrohir stabbed one who dared to advance too far into the room, Dáin hewed the legs from under another. Uglúk and Théodred stood side by side and protected Galadriel. Halbarad, together with Gildor, defended the eastern door.

When thirteen enemy Orcs had fallen, the rest fled shrieking, yet the Companions managed to slay a few more before they retreated. The defenders were unharmed.

"That showed them," said Uglúk, observing his blade.
"Not for long," said Elrohir. "We cannot hold here forever, there are too many of them."
"There is no sound outside here yet," said Gildor, who was standing by the eastern door listening. "The passage on this side plunges straight down a stair: it plainly does not lead back towards the hall."
"This may be our escape route," said Halbarad. "Let us run!"
"Wait," Gildor stopped him, blocking the door with his reached arm.
"What?" asked Halbarad. "There is no time, we must - "
"Not this time," said Gildor.
"Gildor is right," said Elrohir. "Someone must remain here and watch over our retreat. You will be the last, Halbarad."
"But - why, that is – that is madness," said Halbarad.
"Not truly," said Théodred. "If you are true to us, you will be proud watch our back."
"Come on, tall man," said Tom cheerfully. "You may join us later! Just hold this door for some time."
Halbarad looked at the others, but there seemed not to be enough support. Reluctantly, he stepped aside and bowed towards the door.
"Please, go," he said. "I will guard your escape."
"Quick, now!" said Galadriel. "They may return in every moment!"

Swiftly, the Companions passed through the portal and started descending the stair. Halbarad remained up there, watching the entrance closely. Then there was movement -

The passage was lit by no shaft and was utterly dark. The Companions groped their way down a long flight of steps, and then looked back. They could see nothing, but Halbarad seemed to be still standing on guard by the door. They stood peering up the stairs into the darkness. Gildor thought he could hear the voice of Halbarad above, muttering words that ran down the sloping roof with a sighing echo. He could not catch what was said. Suddenly there was a dull rumble and a heavy thud. The drum-beats broke out wildly: doom-boom, doom-boom, and then stopped. Halbarad came flying down the steps and fell to the ground in the midst of the Company.
"Well, well! That's over!" said the Ranger, struggling to his feet. "I have done all that I could." In the darkness, they could not see his face, but he seemed to be laughing. "Don't stand here! Go on! Run! They are after you. Don't trust me anymore, do you? Well, so be it, fools: the Ring is not going to leave Moria! Let it lay here, until the end! It will be safer here, than if it got to the hands of the Enemy!"
With these words, he jumped at Gildor and tried to struggle the Ring out of his hold. But Uglúk grabbed Halbarad with his stong arms and threw him aside from the Elf's reach. The treacherous Ranger leapt at him with his sword drawn, but was beaten back by Dáin and Théodred who slashed him with their weapons.

"The devilry!" cried Gildor, gazing through the darkness towards the curled shape of Halbarad, lying on the ground. "What mischief has he done-to himself, and to all of us?"

But there was no time to think about it. Something just moved in the darkness at the top of the stair. Leaving the dying ranger atop the stair, the Company hurried down into the shadow.

-----------------------------------------------
The Fellowship:

Groin Redbeard - Dáin II. Ironfoot
McCaber - Elrohir
Meneltarmacil - Uglúk
Nogrod - Tom Bombadil
Rune son of Bjarne - Galadriel
Sally - Théodred
Thinlómien - Gildor Inglorion

Gone:

Gil-Galad - Gandalf (left the Fellowship in Eregion) - innocent
Nerwen - Elladan (lost in the Pass of Caradhras) - innocent
Aganzir - Lobelia Sackville-Baggins (departed the Company by the dry streambed of Sirannon) - First Ringbearer & Protector
A Little Green – Éomer (dragged into the pool by the Watcher in the Water) - Avenger
THE Ka – Radagast (killed by Éomer's sword Gúthwinë by the Gates of Moria) - traitor
Gwathagor - Halbarad (killed by the Companions in self-defense in Moria) - traitor

The third collision is upon us. Traitor and Seer, send me your picks. Others, wait until it's over.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #232
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

They ran on in the dark, but soon they started to see better. They could now see their way: in front the road sloped down swiftly, and some way ahead there stood a low archway; through it glowing light came. It was red and flickering. The air became very hot.

They rushed out. Before them was another cavernous hall. They were near its eastern end; westward it ran away into darkness. Right across the floor, close to the feet of two huge pillars a great fissure
had opened. Out of it a fierce red light came, and now and again flames licked at the brink and curled about the bases of the columns. Wisps of dark smoke wavered in the hot air.

"There is some new devilry here," said Elrohir. "Devised for our welcome no doubt."
"But I know now where we are," said Dáin. "We have reached the First Deep, the level just below the Gates. This is the Second Hall of Old Moria; and the Gates are near: away beyond the eastern end, on the left, not more than a quarter of a mile. Across the Bridge, up a broad stair, along a wide road through the First Hall, and out!"
"If we had come by the main road down from the upper halls, we should have been trapped here," said Gildor.
"Then we are lucky once again," said Théodred. "Let's head out! There is no time to lose."

They turned left and sped across the hall. The distance was greater than it had looked. As they ran they heard the beat and echo of many hurrying feet behind. A shrill yell went up: they had been seen. There was a ring and clash of steel. An arrow whistled over Tom's head.
Uglúk laughed. "They did not expect this," he said. "The fire has cut their ambush off. They are on the wrong side!"

But then, glancing back over his shoulder, he spotted something else coming up behind them from the darkness beyond the archway. What it was could not be seen: it was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man-shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and to go before it.
It came to the edge of the fire and the light faded as if a cloud had bent over it. The flames roared up to greet it, and wreathed about it; and a black smoke swirled in the air. Its streaming mane kindled, and blazed behind it. In its right hand was a blade like a stabbing tongue of fire; in its left it held a whip of many thongs.

"Elbereth save us!" wailed Gildor. "A Balrog! A Balrog is come!"
Dáin's face turned grey. "It is here," he muttered to himself. "Beyond the shadow it was waiting still: Durin's Bane."
"A Balrog," said Galadriel with a sigh. "Now I understand. What an ill fate."

The dark figure streaming with fire raced towards them. Suddenly, Gildor turned towards Galadriel. "You must lead the Company to Lórien, my Lady," he said. "I will hold the narrow way."
"You are brave," said Théodred, turning at him in amazement. "But you cannot face this creature alone!"
"Neither of us can," said Dáin. "Some other power than ours would be needed to defeat the Durin's Bane."
"Aye," said Uglúk. "But we are not going to run squealing like rats! If we must stand up to this thing, we will! Running is no good now: even if we ran, there are more than enough of these filthy mountain-maggots to mop up our lot on the flat."
"No," said Tom. "If the sun is shining outside we may still escape. But dear Gildor is right: the Men and Dwarves and Elves and Orcs cannot fight the evil Shadow and Flame."
"This is true," said Galadriel. "This is a foe beyond any of us. But if it is your wish, Gildor, there may be our only hope of escaping now."
Gildor slowly nodded. "I see it all clearly now, Lady," he said. "I will stand here for the entire House of Finarfin." Then with a sudden move, he clutched Tom's arm and pushed the Ring to his hand. Bombadil's eyes opened wide.
"Keep it safe at least for now," the Elf said. But then he turned his head and saw the dark figure getting closer to them.
"Then over the bridge!" cried Galadriel. But Théodred, Uglúk and Elrohir did not heed the command and still held their ground, side by side, with their swords drawn.
"Fly!" Gildor shouted at them. "It is no good if more of us die here. I will hold it back. But you – go!"
Reluctantly, the three warriors turned and passed over the bridge. Just in time.

The Balrog reached the bridge. Gildor stood in the middle of the span, unarmed, but with his left hand raised. His enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings. It raised the whip, and the thongs whined and cracked. Fire came from its nostrils. But Gildor stood firm.

"A Elbereth Gilthoniel," the Noldo cried, and the words echoed through the wide hall, diminishing and disappearing in the dark abyss below.
"A Elbereth Gilthoniel," Gildor repeated, and then he began to sing in the ancient Elvish tongue, and his clear voice filled the shadowy cavern, and to everyone who heard, even if he did not understand the words, it seemed as if images of far distant places started to appear before his eyes: green forests and far seas under starry skies; swift rivers running through plains around hidden gates and a mighty bridge; a beautiful city lost amidst high mountain peaks and a narrow high pass, above which eagles circled. And yellow flowers blossoming upon a barren stone, and last of all, a glimpse of mountain, rising beyond one's mind's reach into a shining cloud. And Gildor sang, and even the Orcs stood silently and listened.

The Balrog also stood still. The fire in it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. But when Gildor's song ended, it stepped forward slowly on to the bridge. Suddenly, it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall; but still Gildor could be seen, glimmering in the gloom; he seemed small, but shining with sharp light, like an evening star in the coming darkness.

And now at once Gildor drew his sword, and crying aloud he sprang forward towards the enemy. There was a ringing clash and a stab of white fire. The sword flew up in molten fragments. But then, Gildor leaped forth and enclasped the dark figure with his bare hands. Flame bursted out of the Balrog's mane, but Gildor was still clutching it. They both staggered on the brink, and then, with a terrible cry the Balrog fell back, and its shadow plunged down and vanished, taking the noble Elf with him. Like a dim star, Gildor's light glittered in the depths for a short time, and then the abyss darkened and there was no light anymore.

The rest of the Fellowship has just left Moria and enters Lórien. Today, you shall travel in peace.

The Fellowship:

Groin Redbeard - Dáin II. Ironfoot
McCaber - Elrohir
Meneltarmacil - Uglúk
Nogrod - Tom Bombadil
Rune son of Bjarne - Galadriel
Sally - Théodred

Gone:

Gil-Galad - Gandalf (left the Fellowship in Eregion) - innocent
Nerwen - Elladan (lost in the Pass of Caradhras) - innocent
Aganzir - Lobelia Sackville-Baggins (departed the Company by the dry streambed of Sirannon) - First Ringbearer & Protector
A Little Green – Éomer (dragged into the pool by the Watcher in the Water) - Avenger
THE Ka – Radagast (killed by Éomer's sword Gúthwinë by the Gates of Moria) - traitor
Gwathagor - Halbarad (killed by the Companions in self-defense in Moria) – traitor
Thinlómien - Gildor Inglorion (fell into the abyss with the Balrog of Moria) – innocent

The fourth part of the journey is starting. You may begin to post now.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #233
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

*~*

The Ring had seemed to grow larger as it lay for a moment on Tom's big brown-skinned hand. He had looked back at Gildor asking with his eyes whether he really thought his decision was the one he wished to make. And Gildor had nodded. "It all began that one fine day when you rode through my lands and told about this hobbit Frodo and his flight. And here we are." Tom bowed slowly to the elf-lord and then slipped the Ring into his pocket.

*~*

"Lórien!"

It was interesting to see the faces of the small fellowship getting the elven kingdom within their sights. Three of them looked joyful and relaxed after all the horrors they had endured while the other three were looking nervously around clearly thinking whether they had been led yet again to face another grim ordeal.

"Cheer up Dain, Uglùk and Théodred! That's beauty and life, Arda in it's most enchanting robes you'll ever see her dressed! And remember, even if our road has been hard and too many good people have lost their lives we're still fulfilling the mission the council gave us. There's but one traitor left and our seer is alive. And we still have this..."

Tom took the Ring out from his pocket and put it in to his eye and laughed. Then he put the Ring round the end of his little finger and held it up to the sunlight. Then he just spun the Ring in the air - and it vanished with a flash.

The others looked at the odd play somewhat nervously and finally Tom realised he had been watched at and that the situation was a bit awkward.

"Oh, sorry. No harm done, it's here..." He opened his palm and showed them the Ring was still with him.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #234
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

"Looking back at Halbarad's words I find his last action a bit weird. He could have made it to a tie but insisted on you lady Galadriel to stay on the door. But I'm inclined to think better of you my lady Galadriel. And you master Elrohir. What he spoke of late would point more towards the innocence of both of you more than guilt. But I need to recollect what he has said and think about it in greater depth and more detailed fashion later toDay as now my nature calls me to sing and dance for the open sky, the green the blue, the light!"

And so old Tom ran off to his own. Jumping and singing as he went.

"I'll come back and I will concentrate on this thing toDay. Just let me gambol the dark tunnels and the image of the Balrog from my mind!"
Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #235
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Galadriel sighed by the sight of Lothlorien, but her return was not as happy as she could have hoped. Indeed it was a moment of great relief to enter the Golden wood once more, but the shadow of Moria where still with them and Galadriel knew that the dark events that had gone before would overshadow the splendure of the Mallorn.

"I shall lead you to the heart of the Realm, but then i must depart for quite some time and seek the counsil of my kin. . .I shall send for you all when it is time for the final debate."

Galadriel then took the lead and the rest followed.

EDIT: Cross Posted With The Latter of Tom Bombadil's Posts

Old 03-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #236
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ah, that's what I'd been smelling this whole way. A Balrog of all things. Certainly explains the fiery thing I'd seen moving about in the lower levels before.

As for old Bombadil, don't think that I'm going to write him off just because he voted for Halbarad. I wouldn't put it past him to vote for a fellow traitor in order to save his own hide.

Also, I can't be sure whether that Balrog actually had wings or if that was just the shadows playing tricks on me...
Old 03-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #237
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

"It has been implied, my friends, that today's leg of the journey will be a peaceful one," began Theodred, "I do not think this will be the case. There is still a traitor among us, and another of our companions has been slaughtered.

Lady Galadriel, I am saddened that you fell for the traitor Halbarad's deception yesterday. However, this is understandable, as he presented a well-crafted diversion, and there was no harm done, as the traitor was vanquished and our own Tom Bombadil remained in our company."

Theodred looked into the eyes of the orc Ugluk. Though he still hated the creature, he could not believe that Ugluk was a traitor. Still, he decided against admitting this, considering that....well, considering that he had a reputation to uphold. He turned away from the orc and turned to Elrohir.

"Master Elrohir, I still find your behavior suspicious, but considering the actions of the other traitors, I am hesitant to expel you. On the day which Lobelia, our protector and original ringbearer, removed herself from our presence, you were close to being banished yourself. Considering that it was the traitors Halbarad and Radagast who put you in this grave position, I am inclined to find you safe.

"As for Tom Bombadil, I have considered him harmless nearly since the beginning of our journey, and I do not feel the need to change my opinion on the matter. He may be illogical at times and have a larger than usual capacity for merriment, but I do not consider this reason enough to let him depart."
Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 PM   #238
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elrohir streched lazily across the ground.

"It seems that we are taking our time here to rest instead of discuss things. While I do enjoy it, it is not a wise thing to do.

In the meantime, I will turn my thoughts to everyone, but especially Lord Ironfoot and Theodred, simply because they have escaped the brunt of my attention thus far."
Old 03-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #239
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

"I urge you to do so, lord Elrohir, for I assure you that you will see nothing but the purest of motives throughout all my actions. Unfortunately, I do not think this will be the case with our master dwarf Dain, for he has escaped my attentions as well; what I have seen of him, however, concerns me greatly."

Theodred did not wish to speak further of his suspicions. He was content, at least for the moment, to allow others to speak (which he hoped they would do quite a lot of over the coming hours) and refine their own opinions. He had some thoughts of his own to collect.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:57 AM   #240
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

To the suprise of most members of the fellowship Galadriel returned earlier than suspected due to events she was not master of, however she would have to leave again for a while.

Uplifted by being home she smiled even as Theodred spoke:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Lady Galadriel, I am saddened that you fell for the traitor Halbarad's deception yesterday. However, this is understandable, as he presented a well-crafted diversion, and there was no harm done, as the traitor was vanquished and our own Tom Bombadil remained in our company."
"Fell for his deception? I guess you can say that, although I do think it sounds a bit harsh. For I was never following the call of Halbarad, I was voting for the person I found most suspicouse and if you search your mind you will find that it was indeed the case. Of course when events like those of Moria unfolds you are forced to reconsider your views of everybody and indeed some of the actions of Iarwain now seem wiser, but I shall need more time to decide if he shall recive my vote or not today.

You say that you consider Iarwain harmless, that can only be described as a mistake my young friend. Beings with the capacity of Iarwain is never harmless, either they are an asset or they are dangouress it all depends on the perspective!
"

Galadriel left the company again, though this time she had insured them it would not be long before she returned. She was not the only one seeking counsil, Celeborn and others had asked for a moment of her time so that they might discuss the defence of Lothlorien.