The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2007, 07:04 AM   #201
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Happy Birthday, Esty!!!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:03 AM   #202
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
To a very special mod, happy birthday, Esty!

littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:33 AM   #203
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Happy Birthday Lady Estelyn!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #204
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Cheers!

Happy birthday, Esty!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #205
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
To a modest modem Moddess who modulates a la mode

Here's Esty modeling some skwerl manoeuvres in case her birthday party gets out of hand:

And here's the cake to celebrate:

Old 05-31-2007, 11:13 AM   #206
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Happy Birthday, m'dear!!!

& many returns of the the day!

~*~ Pio
Old 05-31-2007, 11:16 AM   #207
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Have a good day today, Esty!

There are worse things to celebrate than one's birth.

And as you know: age only makes one better!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #208
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I would be completely remiss if I didn’t wish Esty the happiest of birthdays as well. Esty came all the way across the Atlantic to see a Lord of the Rings exhibit with me and my family (OK, OK, she might have come to see some of her relatives as well), and I count meeting and getting to know her as one of the top experiences of my adult life. Of her I can truly say Elen síla lúmenn’ omentielvo.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:22 PM   #209
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

I hope you have a most enjoyable day, Estelyn! I have nothing fancy to offer, I'm afraid. Just enjoy yourself as immensely as possible.

Cheers!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #210
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Awww! Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes! You make me feel so special!

Thanks, Brin - you were the first on this thread today!

Thanks Rikae - "high priestess" good wishes must be even better than plain ones!

Elempi, thank you for throwing me such a colourful party!

TM and Celuien both made use of the special Merisu smilie - thank you!

Ah, Bb, the memories - one day I will go back to my Fiona avatar. That picture is absolutely hilarious! And thanks for the Shrek cake!

Pio, that is a spectacular birthday quilt - wish I had one like it for real! Thanks for the lovely picture.

Noggie, age has definitely improved me, and it's not over yet! As they say, age is mind over matter - as long as you don't mind, it doesn't matter! Thanks for your good wishes.

Aww, Thena - the pleasure was all mine! Meeting you and your family was one of the highlights of my travels! I would gladly go out of my way to see ya'll again.

Folwren, like the Hobbits, I enjoy the simple pleasures of life - no need for fancy stuff all the time! Thank you for your good wishes.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #211
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Slightly late but here all the same ... happy birthday Esty! I hope you had a fantastic day or, if you're celebrating at the weekend, that you have more fantastic days.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:41 AM   #212
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Belated birthday congrats to you, Esty! Thanks for being around, you're priceless!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:02 AM   #213
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Happy Birthday to the insightful MatthewM. May your passion for Boromir the Brave ring through the hills, and may all his slanderers flee!
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 PM   #214
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Happy Birthday, Aylwen! Miss you being around a lot!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #215
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Thumbs up

Wow wow wow! Happy birthday indeed, Sir Everpresent (well, except for WWIV), Gil-Galad the adult!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #216
Volo

1420!

And what now? It can't be. Cailín and SPM!

Happy birthday indeed! Though I haven't seen Caitlín around, I've read your WW and it was great! Well, I've not only read SPM's WW, but I've also been in it, and it was awesome indeed!

Anyway, anyway! Have a nice birthday!

Last edited by Volo; 06-20-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #217
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Happy birthday to you both! Hope great days have been had all round.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 AM   #218
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Happy birthday to Cailín and Sauce and many congratulations! May you have good days and paljon onnea!

PS. How can one know Cailín has been away for too long a while? If S/he can't spell her name correctly! (Well, maybe ´ on the wrong i is not too bad, but still...)
Old 06-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #219
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Dear Mr Saucepan Man,

Have good times.

Cailín, you can have a good day too, if you like.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #220
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
PS. How can one know Cailín has been away for too long a while? If S/he can't spell her name correctly! (Well, maybe ´ on the wrong i is not too bad, but still...)
Hey, it was already 00:25... And a after all, not a very familiar member to me. Etc.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #221
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
Hey, it was already 00:25... And a after all, not a very familiar member to me. Etc.
Hey I didn't even expect you to know her... I was talking about myself (and at some point I realised it could be interpreted as a remark to you and I tried to phrase it the way it wouldn't but it seems I failed... ). Well, anyway, if your brain does not work that late, I recommend going to sleep earlier...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #222
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Happy Birthday to both Cailin & Saucey! :-)
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:15 AM   #223
Volo

Silmaril

Birthday happy to Naria, the Modmistress! Do have an amusing day and return to WW to have many amusing Days!
Old 06-22-2007, 06:07 AM   #224
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Seconded!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #225
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

Many thanks to all who wished me a happy birthday, either here or by PM. It is especially kind of you to send greetings to one who is such a curmudgeonly old soul that he never gets round to wishing anyone else a happy birthday ...

Although, it being the big 4-0, perhaps it would have been better to let it slip by unmarked. Still, there it is, I am now officially middle-aged (hmm, does one get to live a middle-aged life in middle-earth ...?).

In so far as relevant to the Downs, my birthday presents included The Children of Hurin, a photo shot of Frodo and Sam from RotK signed by Sean Astin, and a wine goblet in the form of an Ent.

Tomorrow, I shall be holding my own Long Expected Party, although I don't intend on vanisihing (provided that is, that the aforementioned wine goblet does not get too many refills ...).

Many thanks again, one and all.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #226
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Saucie, it's hard to imagine a downs without you mate. Best birthday wishes.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:34 AM   #227
Volo

Thumbs up

Aaand the party isn't over!

Mithalwen, with all the best, I give you a two week holiday from being the executive officer! Congratulations!
Old 06-23-2007, 05:21 AM   #228
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thank you ..... festivities are planned to include a long awaited try out of a chocolate fountain. I shall be spherical (or even more so... )

Old 06-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #229
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Ooh happy birthday Mith! And have a great time with that chocolate fountain, trust me it's addictive! Make sure you have some profiteroles 'cause those dipped in melted chocolate ... *drools*
Old 06-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #230
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Happy birthday, Mith! Strawberries also go nicely with chocolate fountains.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:39 PM   #231
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

they are indeed......

Old 06-26-2007, 03:30 AM   #232
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

It seems I manage to miss everything during the summer...

So belated congrats to two lovely ladies (or should I say "two lovely lasses"? ), Naria and Mith! Love to have you both around here, don't vanish and hopefully both of you had a gorgeous day. Paljon onnea!
Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #233
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I know it's too early for you, but I follow my own time, so there. Happy birthday, Brinniel!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #234
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Leaf

haha I was just going to make a post saying the same thing. . . but I guess you where just too much further a head in timezones for me to beat you.

anyways have a very nice birthday Brinniel.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:18 AM   #235
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
First tio post on the day Brinn's time, so there. :P

Happy Birthday Brinniel!!

Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #236
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

See how loved you are Brinn? No one can wait to say happy birthday to you! So, happy birthday! Hope it's a good one and there are presents, cake and ice cream galore. 'Cause it's summer now and you have to have ice cream.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #237
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
A belated thanks for the kind birthday wishes! I was quite pleasantly surprised, since I haven't said anything here for quite a while.

I will never really leave the Downs, though.

And Brinniel, happy birthday to you. Or, as we say in Dutch (which you must learn anyway), "gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!"
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:42 PM   #238
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Let's see if I can make this out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín
"gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!"
A quick translation...

gefeliciteerd - ge like in german implying something in front of a verb (right? I've never studied German more than one basic course in the Uni more than ten years ago but a lot of verbs seem to have this ge-prefix in them for some reason) and feliciteerd meaning happy or joyous or whatever... felix navidad... so let us celebrate over and over again?

met - like German mit or English with?

je - your?

verjaardag - Jaar is year or Jahre and dag is like in Swedish/Danish/Norwegian meaning a day, and this ver is again some of this German prefix-stuff I never learned what was it all about...

Sorry Cailín, I do not mean that we should reduce the Dutch language to all these other languages but only tried to make it comprehensible with the hints of these other languages I know even something about...

Gah.

Hyvää syntymäpäivää Brinn! (gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!)
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #239
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

in German the "ge-" prefix is something to do with forming the parst participle of strong verbs. But I failed O-Level German (though I studied it more later and due to a strange quirk of fate I am qualified to teach it in the 11-18 age range!!!!!! The DfEE obviously didn't think that having absolutely no qualification in the subject was a barrier .....

Anyway happy birthday to Naria And belatedly to Cailin. Lommie, these days only octogenarians address me as "Lass"

Old 06-28-2007, 11:39 PM   #240
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thanks to Lhuna, Rune, Rikae, Kath, Cailín, and Nogrod for the birthday wishes. I promise I had a lovely day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín
Or, as we say in Dutch (which you must learn anyway), "gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!"
Well, if I don't get it as a gift, I'm planning to use birthday money to buy a learn Dutch software program, so soon enough I will know some Dutch...or at least, more than I do now (which is none ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
See how loved you are Brinn? No one can wait to say happy birthday to you!
Indeed. I most certainly do feel loved.