The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2003, 06:20 PM   #1
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Ways TTT Could've been worse

Many people (including myself) have a hard time really <I>liking</I> the movie. But on the other hand, there are so many ways that the movie could have been a lot worse than it was. Name some! <P><BR>Laughing Merrily,<BR>Iarwain
Old 01-04-2003, 06:29 PM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Well, there are a lot of ways. For one, instead of keping the title The Two Towers, what if they made it The Twin Towers? I don't know what I'd do if they did that, and it wouldn't be something nice at all.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 06:30 PM   #3
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Having the movie nowhere NEAR the book. Having different actors for the parts. No special affects. Umm soo many!
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 06:37 PM   #4
Iarwain

Boots

Ive got one!<P>Frodo and Sam never meet Gollum, and Faramir leads them to Minas Tirith.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:27 AM   #5
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Aragorn falls for Eowyn. Theoden drops dead at Helm's Deep.

Last edited by Brinniel; 07-13-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 08:28 AM   #6
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you find yourself thinking negative thoughts about the film, just say to yourself the words "Walt Disney Pictures presents... Lord of the Rings." *shudder*
Old 01-05-2003, 09:07 AM   #7
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elanor, that was perfect! <P>Anyway, Here are a couple of ways the movie could've been worse:<P>1. Leaving out Treebeard<BR>2. Faramir actually taking the ring<BR>3. Replacing Eowyn with Arwen *shudders*<BR>4. Making Saruman die at Helm's Deep<BR>5. Gandalf bringing Boromir to life<BR>6. Sam and Smeagol falling in love <BR>7. Giving no hint towards Shelob's Lair<BR>8. Gandalf turning evil<BR>9. Aragorn, by marrying Eowyn, becoming Prince of Rohan<BR>10.Gimli or Legolas dying at Helm's Deep<P>I hope I haven't given you nightmares,<BR>Cherie
Old 01-05-2003, 09:17 AM   #8
Benny

or.... Gollum was played by a monkey.<BR>or... Gandalf is killed again, and comes back as Gandalf the red.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:27 AM   #9
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I just thought of two more:<P>11. Eomer NEVER is seen after he meets Aragorn&co.<BR>12. Sauron's army is a bunch of posies
Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM   #10
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bad special effects would have messed it up pretty good. So many possibilities!
Old 01-05-2003, 07:02 PM   #11
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This one is not a funny one, but a kind of serious one. In the LOTR:TTT movie photo guide (it was a movie book that kind of told the story of TTT for younger people), one of the alternate parts that Peter Jackson actually considered putting in the movie, was a part where Faramir leads Frodo and Sam through the Sewers of Osgiliath, so that they don't get captured by Saurons forces which are attacking the area(I am sure about the beginning but not sure why he was leading them)<BR>I would not have liked that because that even makes the story more different from the book, and adds unwanted things to the story.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:41 PM   #12
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I got some more. <P>Theoden's head turns around while Gandalf is playing the exorcist.<BR>Haldir lives. (I mean come on, the elves should pay dearly if they show up when the're not supposed to) Hehe, just kidding about that. <BR>Grima actually rapes Eowyn or something.<BR>Theoden kills Grima, or bette-oh, no, worse yet, Gandalf, Aragorn, and the rest start cheering him on to end Grima's life.<BR>Instead of making Gollum have a split personality, they make him as two separate characters, or siamese twins.<BR>When the horse find's Aragorn on the shore, Aragorn thinks it's Arwen and starts groping with it until he opens his eyes. That would be funny, but still it would make TTT worse.<BR>Treebeard is a bush, not a tree. (Bushbeard- lol)<BR>If the wargs were actually hyenas and not comp. generated.<BR>If Gimli did a 'stand-up' or an improv at Helms Deep before the battle.<BR>And much much more...<p>[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
Old 01-05-2003, 09:23 PM   #13
Iarwain

Boots

Good stuff, my friends. Very good stuff.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #14
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

It could all be claymation (which I hate) or computerized. Hmm oh some much stuff! LoL. Hmm...the nazgul took the ring. Sam dying (that would not be good). Hmm I'll post more if I think of anything.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:22 PM   #15
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Yes, yes. Then it would be Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar present....The Lord of the Rings. Even better!
Old 01-05-2003, 10:27 PM   #16
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Whoa weird thought! Micky could be Aragorn, Minnie Arwen, Donald Gollum, Goofy Legolas...Oh wow lol.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:00 AM   #17
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I'm in full agreement about the Walt Disney thing but Pixar is their one good aspect; actual amusing stories, not being whacked over the head with the moral, etc. Maybe not LOTR, but I can see Pixar doing a good children's "Hobbit" (certainly better than the one out there now).<P>Things the would have made TTT worse, where do I begin...<P>Faramir actually grabs the Ring from Frodo.<P>Frodo and Sam actually meet Denethor and thus have to produce an even more unlikely escape than they have with Faramir. <P>Gandalf the White Rider shows up to save the day, and next to him is...Arwen!<P>In an effort to make the story more shaded and artsy, Eomer is portrayed as a swaggering bully while Wormtongue is his saintly, much put-upon whipping boy who turns to Saruman out of sheer desperation.<P>A soft-focus fantasy scene where Grima imagines life with Eowyn (If it were Disney, the song would be "If She Loved Me")<P>In an effort to bring 1970s-style feminism to Middle Earth, Eowyn gives Aragorn a lecture about how the women of Rohan can defend themselves so get away with you, OK?<P>Pippin, watching the Entmoot, can't think of anything except trying to steal apples or pears from the appropriate Ents.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:38 AM   #18
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well willie that was disturbing <P>okay frodo dies and arwen finds him but can't save him this time, then she herself must take the ring to mordor. <P>make faramir seem greedy and tempted by the ring, oh wait they did that one didn't they hmmmm<P>at the nazgul/frodo scene the nazgul leans i nand says "i didn't drown in the river......... frodo i am your father"
Old 01-06-2003, 12:58 PM   #19
Thingol1000
Animated Skeleton

Thingol1000 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

got this from another site but here it goes;<P>The King Nazgul is overheard saying "do you have this in pink?"<P>
Thingol1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 10:22 PM   #20
Arwen the Evenstar

Sting

I thought the movie kicked some major arse. Sure, Helm's Deep was only a dozen or so pages or that the Ents took days to decide to help versus being "tricked" in a sense, but the Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind vary so much more and are still excellent movies. Put it this way. If those movies weren't as good as they are, it's very possible that not as many people would know the story today. Years from now, even people who haven't read the books will still know the story. I was very impressed with Jackson.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:59 PM   #21
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Ok Arwen the Evenstar...And what was it you said that would make TTT worse?

-Willie
Old 01-07-2003, 05:52 AM   #22
Alex Chamois
Animated Skeleton

Alex Chamois has just left Hobbiton.
Eowyn removed completely, and Arwen kills the witch-king.
Alex Chamois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:54 AM   #23
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Not much, but there is one thing: They could have ended with a shot of the American flag, with the words "God Bless America" superimposed over it, and with <I>The Star-Spangled Banner</I> as sound-track, then exhorted the audience to buy war bonds (cf the rather silly article quoted <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002645" TARGET=_blank>here</A>). This could have suddenly cut across the original footage, obviously having been spliced in just prior to release.