The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
A Downer Dinner Party

I love throwing dinner parties, so I was an avid player of that old literature graduate student game wherein people sit around planning whom we would invite to their imaginary dinner (Oscar Wilde, Jane Austen, William Shakespeare, Professor Tolkien – of course – and Wilson Harris were always at the top of my list).

What I propose for this thread is that we do a Barrow Downs version of this game. To keep things interesting, and under control, however, there are a few rules:

1) Your dinner party must be between 6 to 10 people (yourself included).

2) You must have equal parts Barrow Downers and Characters from Middle-earth. (Please note that you are not going to be inviting your ‘favourite’ Downers, just those whom you think will best complement the table.)

3) You must provide a seating arrangement.

Other things that would be appreciated, but aren’t required, is that you have equal numbers of male and female at the table, and that they be seated in the classic “boy-girl” arrangement. Extra bonus points for anyone who provides a menu for the evening. To get things rolling, my guests would be, starting at the head of the table and going clockwise around the table:

1) Me: because, hey, it’s my party!

2) Galadriel: I would have to have the Golden Lady nearby so I could listen to her talk of the First Age and of Aman. I would try to get her to sing. I might not get much eating done for all the staring I’d be doing, but that’s a small price to pay.

3) SaucepanMan: I’ve always thought that he would be a lot of fun in person, and he strikes me as a bit of an extrovert, in the right conditions – he’d be very helpful in getting Galadriel to open up, and he’d be a bit of a barrier between me and the guest to his left who is…

4) Gandalf: Because I would want to have some fireworks after the party. He would also be a great match with the person at the foot of the table…

5) davem: We’d be facing one another; that way, I could easily speak with him if I wanted, or eavesdrop on his conversations with Gandalf and…

6) Frodo: How could I have a Middle-earth party and not invite Frodo?? Being as he’s so polite I’m sure he’d ask if he could bring anything, and I’d say that a bit of Old Toby wouldn’t be refused. At some point after dinner, in a quiet moment, I’d try to catch him alone so I could ask him about the Ring…

7) Bêthberry: Because she would be sitting right across from SaucepanMan and so I could count on all kinds of really good cross-table conversation to break up the monotony of side-by-by side chatting. She would also be able to break into what would undoubtedly become a very clubby group of Gandalf, davem and Frodo at the far end of the table. Plus, by putting Bb where I have, she would be between Frodo and…

8) Aragorn: This way, I would have Galadriel on my left hand, and Aragorn on my right. I would be the envy of everyone at the Barrow Downs, and while I rather fear that I would disgrace myself in some way, I wouldn’t care because, hey, it’s the Golden Lady of the Woods and Elessar Telcontar!

I do realise that I have not managed anything close to gender parity, but with two women like Bêthberry and Galadriel there, I rather suspect that the men would have a hard time dominating. I also, obviously, have left out a lot of Downers and figures from M-E whom I would like to invite, but what can I do? My table only seats eight comfortably…

As to the menu: I would start with sautéed sea scallops with toasted pancetta in a light butter and herb pan-sauce, served over fresh bitter greens (arugula, frisee and radicchio). This would be followed with a brandy-mushroom soup with garlic croutons. The entrée would be pumpkinseed encrusted monkfish drizzled with asparagus oil, and cold tureen of poached vegetables in balsamic reduction. The salad would be mesclun greens in apple caramel vinaigrette, served on potato crustini and topped with goat’s cheese and grilled portabello mushroom. Dessert would be champagne and berry sorbet, with – of course – coffee and liqueurs to follow. (I figure I will tell Frodo before hand that there’s a good solid loaf of bread with tasty cheese and meat pie out in the kitchen should he want that as well in between the other courses.)

At any event, is there anyone else who would like to indulge in throwing a fantasy dinner party? Or am I the only one?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Leny's mirthful party

Me: Throwing a party for those who love lo laugh.

Pippin: The winner of the Most Amusing Hobbit Award.

Merry: Because Merry and Pippin are so much funnier together.

Tom Bombadil: Always ready with a silly song and dance when the conversation dies.

Oddwen and Meela: The ultimate Mirthies.

I would probably also include a few people who had recently made very amusing posts recently, and thus caught my attention.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:45 PM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril But what will I wear?

A dinner party, eh? Having never actually hosted a dinner party (being rather more partial to small, informal get-togethers involving pizza, green tea, fritos, and low-powered explosives), I am afraid that I am rather unpracticed at the hosting of such events.

However, my guest list would include, for this particular party, writers.

Seated at the head of the table, would be myself, of course. As for the rest of the table, I have no idea what places I would seat each person at, but I would invite: Bethberry, littlemanpoet, Aman, Encaitare, Bilbo Baggins, Frodo Baggins, and Keeper of Dol Guldur (the 'Downer, not Khamul (I think Khamul would be a rather uncomfortable dinner guest)).

Bethberry and littlemanpoet are on the guest list because of Eodwine, Falco, and Bethberry's interesting reaction to Saeryn.

Aman, for our verbally crossed swords in The Gauntlet Tavern; through PMs, once The Barrow-Wight nixed the thread.

Encai has a place of honor, because some of her poetry (see her blog) inspired a really cool drawing. Also because she helped thrust me in the direction of The White Horse Inn during a rather educational chat one evening.

Bilbo and Frodo, because without their excellent recording skills, where would we all be? Probably doing something far more productive than this.

And the artist formerly known as Keeper of Dol Goldur gets a seat for a few reasons. The most important being that he's quite a decent writer. The others being slightly less crucial to the idea of the party: he is my brother and therefore it would be easy to get him to this party, and he is a good cook, and he therefore would be (currently unknown by himself) The Cook.

The meal would include no seafood whatsoever, the hostess being generally prejudiced against it in all forms. There would, however, be mushrooms, tomatos, and food that seems rather hobbitish in nature to me. This would cater to our distinguished halfling guests, as well as my own tastebuds. Edit: Chef Keeper insists on po-ta-toes. With a seperate accent for each syllable, and they shall be boiled, mashed, stuck in a stew, or whatever else he fancies to do with them.

Drinks, I am not particularly sorry to say, will be entirely non-alcoholic, but I can provide you with any number of teas, juices, or strange mixtures that you may not actually desire to drink. I plan to drink iced green tea with a squeeze of lime. Keeper shall be given vanilla cream soda, and I regret to inform my hobbit guests that they will be reduced to hot cider.

Fea
Old 12-24-2004, 05:02 AM   #4
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
grilled Frodo

I guess I'm bending the rules here, but I went over ten. Once I started counting I couldn't delete anybody.

This is a "Frodo, tell us the truth" party. Why DID you wait til your birthday to leave the Shire? What do you feel the most guilt over? How's your shoulder feeling these days? Was it you, or the Ring, speaking to Gollum? Did you claim the Ring or did the Ring claim you, and when exactly were you aware of it? Have you ever had a crush on somebody-- come on, who was it? Who else? Did you leave Middle-Earth out of optimism or pessimism? Have you been healed in Aman? Are you enjoying yourself in the Undying Lands?

Counterclockwise to my right:
Child of the 7th Age: Because she asks all the deep questions, and she can think of more than I can.
Frodo: Pass the Mushrooms to the fellow on the witness stand.
Marileangifornimaluim: She'll ask some left-fielders... Poor Frodo.
Bilbo: He'll have a sharp perspective on some things that Frodo will hesitate to admit.
Lush: to keep Frodo on his hobbit-toes.
Elrond: to give the masculine elvish perspective.
Mister Underhill: for more deep questions, and a firm grasp on reality, common sense,
Galadriel: for the feminine elvish perspective.
Kuruharan: because he sees through drivel and gets to the point.
Finrod: A philosopher who only met Frodo in the west, and can tell us the foreigner's impression of him.
Birdland: Because she is a free-spirit, and will steer the conversation in a humorous direction when things get too intense. I'm sure Frodo will appreciate that. Lush and Birdland together will also keep Elrond and Finrod off-balance.
Samwise: Moral support for Frodo.

What will be served--
Are you kidding? I'm no cook. I'll ask Raefindel to cater it, and Sam can advise her.

If I had to say, I'd sketch some menu like this:
Several varieties of fresh salad
elvish bread, Gildor-style (not lembas)
cabbage and roots
coney stew
bacon and mushrooms
venison well-simmered in Miruvor
A side table piled very high with the best fresh fruit that can be found, including some tropical mellons and the best berries.

Edit: I was sorely tempted to include the Professor himself. However, something restrained me. Perhaps that's another party. Lyta Underhill would really want to be in on this one. And someone would have to take notes... guess that would be me. I can eat later.

Last edited by mark12_30; 12-24-2004 at 05:30 AM. Reason: afterthoughts. And sepling. Spelink. Spel- nevermind.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:22 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Mithalwen will be "at home" to .......

After an exhausting morning's cleaning my dining /drawing room is actually fit to receive visitors so I am prepared to contemplate a dinner party. The table could sit 10 at most so alas it will have to be a select gathering but were it summer I would hold a far more extensive "garden party" which would also enable me to invite an entwife and discover where they got to all these years. There are a few surprises here - some Middle Earth people and some "downers" I would find just too daunting ....... I was tempted to invite a cave-troll so I wouldn't be the ugliest AND most stupid person at table but the chairs are increasingly fragile heirlooms and we cannot spare the elbow room if we are to seat ten.... two at each end and three along the long sides. Although it is not the best spot for accessing the kitchen I wish to be near all my guests so I will be in the centre of the long side.
In order from me we have

Glorfindel: I would want to hear all about Gondolin and the search for Frodo and his companions. And he is a very cute elf-boy

Eowyn: I am sure she would like to compare notes with Glorfindel on the Witch King and she is my heroine.

Imrahil: Hmm ... an interesting older man, I always wanted to l know more about the history of Dol Amroth and its Lords. Also he is surely up to the social challenge of the lady to his right -

Melian the Maia: Glorfindel will be opposite her and so they can talk about the elder days. Next to her will be

Boromir88: Well able to cope with both the serious and more light hearted ends of the table and might be prevailed upon to bring fireworks ( obviates the need to invite a certain grumpy old wizard). On his right will be a fellow American

Feanor of the Peredhil.... I am glad she doesn't drink... she knows too much now...
to her right, that most genial hobbit -
Meriadoc Brandybuck: amusing but not silly, intelligent but not stuffy and will be a smoking companion for..
Lalwende: Sometimes I feel we were separated at birth .......
the final place (although one of the first to be chosen) is
Heren Istarion. I cannot think of a better person to have at a dinner party, I am sure he can be relied on to fill awkward gaps in conversation or defuse any discussions that got too heated. That is why he has to sit next to me incase I "go off on one...".

Our menu (since it is a bleak midwinter) may be more to Hobbit tastes - I advise you do not eat for a while before hand.

On arrival you will be served with Pimm's No 3 (Winter)... and canapes

The first course will be crepes filled with smoked salmon served with the lightest, frothiest cheese sauce. The wine a crisp white .. maybe a chenin blanc

The main course will be rib of beef with yorkshire pudding, gravy made with red wine and mustard, potatoes roasted in goose fat and seasonal vegetables (all organic and locally produced of course..) ... the wine will be my beloved merlot of course.

Cheese board: (a legacy of living in France is a tendancy to serve this at this point in the meal) will include a really good genuine cheddar from Cheddar....

Pudding will be my special ginger one, with cream and ..... oh I don't really like dessert wine but sinceI have such illustrious guests .. maybe a Tokay.

Coffee - Blue Sumatra and my own homemade chocolates.

Port and Madeira will be available for those who care for it.... remember to pass it to the left...

Not sure if the Ladies will "withdraw" for a gossip session leaving the gentlemen to their brandy and cigars - on the whole I would prefer the smokers of either gender to withdraw to the garden...

If it were summer we would probably eat there and the menu would be

Pimm's No1 and crudites
Feta cheese, parma ham and fresh figs served with salad and ciabatta
Poached salmon, new potatoes, french beans
Tarte au Citron with fresh raspberries

The wines would be light and fruity and there would be champagne at some point... and it might be lunch preceding that garden party..to which a much wider group would be welcomed ...

Suitable alternatives would be provided for vegetarians and teetotallers and I am sure I could find Merry a pottle of Old Thumper....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-20-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:21 PM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

There are severe restrictions in my dinner party. For a start my house is really quite small so there are a few characters who would probably look down on me for that. I also cannot cook very well but I am afraid I would insist on preparing everything. A mediterranean salad I think. So you can see that it will be a fairly simple occasion, suited to certain tastes.

So who to invite?

Saeros - oh, wait....no, not him.

Merry Brandybuck - because the size of the house wouldn't bother him as much. Also because he's absolutely brilliant!

Luthien - because everyone would behave with her around. Also, I'd like to see with my own eyes....

Tom Bombadil - without question, the merriest guy going around. It is guaranteed to be a night of good cheer with him here.

Lalwende - because it seems as if she'd be a delight to talk to. Also, there really needs to be at least one person there who I could make laugh.

The Saucepan Man - what needs to be said? I already picture him as Tom Bombadil-esque!

Diamond - because, quite frankly, she's hilarious.

*Note to add, it's cruel to pick out three. I'd love to have a big party with all of you guys.*
Old 12-24-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril being the season for such events...

Mithalwen, I feel so honored... I am most certainly the youngest to grace your table, and with the exception of Mister Meriadoc, probably the shortest.

I really feel that I must plan a few parties now, because, Fordim, it's just so much fun. My next party is a formal affair.

Galadriel has snagged a seat at the head of the table, as I have no inclination to sit there. I would much prefer to be surrounded by my guests than leading them. She is on the list because I think she would have rather interesting tales to tell of the "good ol' days". Her beauty would grace the entire gathering, as well as her kindness.

Partnering the Queen of the Golden Wood for the night would be her grandson-in-law, Aragorn, or rather, Elessar. They could quite nicely keep each other occupied with news of the family, and discussion of their royal issues.

Next on my list is Faramir, Steward of Gondor. I told you it was formal... all this high company, oh my! Faramir gets a place because he's just so nice and I really like him.

Partnering Faramir for this dinner is Mithalwen, because I think they would rather enjoy each other's company.

Lush gets a place this evening, because I rather imagine that she would enjoy having the excuse to wear a pretty dress. Also, and more importantly, I'd love a chance to talk with her.

Finishing off the table is the phantom, because he just looks so darned good in a tux. On a more serious note, he is invited because of his ability to comfortably fit in with (or conversely, annoy ) any group of people.

I've chosen no dinner partner for myself because of my lack of hostessing experience. I would rather be able to run off and take care of any potential problems than keep a dinner date occupied.

Dinner this evening is relatively simple, with the main course being grilled chicken and vegetables in white wine, served over linguine. I feel the urge to incorporate cooked pineapple somewhere, and so I really must insist on a sweet and sour dish of something. Since I've remembered a seafood item that I do not hate, I plan to serve scallops, seared over an open fire and presented with a lemon-butter sauce. Sadly, I cannot eat them, but that doesn't mean you can't! Dessert will be fresh fruit, as I cannot think of a single thing better.

My next party is already in the works...

Fea
Old 12-28-2004, 11:54 AM   #8
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Pipe What costume shall we all wear, to all tomorrow's parties?

Eh.... I'm not a social person inparticular, besides i'm practically anti-social. Crowds make me feel funny (Not the happy feeling, the sick one...) But, i'll see what i can do...

ok, well, i'll start with members and then some very needed characters plus, a bunch of surprises...

Elennar: I absolutely cannot forget! Elennar is very funny, and is very nice. Plus she is like a friend to me. Chiefly i would be talking to Elennar throughout the whole affair. Most likely about David Bowie...He is the goblin king! I can't forget!

Encaitare: Another friendly member! Plus, always has something good to say. Between Elennar and Encaitare, i don't think i would move around that much...

Davem: very broad-minded and thoughtful, how could i not? Besides, when i decide to be 'philosophical' on the downs, they are 90% of the time who understands what i'm talking about...

Boromir88: Another funny person...I seem to have a patten with that. Notable in my book for making excellent posts and even better threads...

Saphy: Very, very funny! Without saphy i don't think the party would survive that long. All around nice person.

Treebeard: Trees are awsome. When they can talk, they are the best!

Merry: My favorite hobbit, we would converse about herbs, and maybe other things. I really don't know...

I know i've already bended the rules a bit but, this last one is very logical (you'll see...)

Boromir: i don't think i need to explain...

Okay! I'm done!

~Happy ka~

Last edited by THE Ka; 12-28-2004 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Spelling...again...
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:17 PM   #9
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Saphy's Not-So-Formal Party

Aw, thankies, Ka! *blush*

Okay, having an extreme dislike for fancy parties, this will be as easy-going an event as I can contrive. So, at my lovely round table the guests will be seated so:

Me: Natch! 'S my party, isnae it? To my left is...

Peregrin Took: A lovely young hobbit, to be sure. My list of questions for him has become somewhat lengthy, and there would be no worries about overly serious discussion. Seated to Pippin's left is...

Oddwen: Both friendly and funny, and at the same time capable of giving fine insights. To her left...

Boromir88: Again, an intelligent and amusing individual. No dinner would be complete without him. Seated beside him is...

Eowyn: A bright and beautiful young woman, certainly a great addition to the table. I have the feeling that she could carry on solid conversations with those beside her, the second of whom is...

davem: Highly intelligent, eloquent, and occasionally odd; no doubt a purveyor of great information to any conversation at the table. To his left sits...

Celebrian: Daughter of Celeborn and Galadriel, wife of Elrond Halfelven, mother of Arwen Undomiel; a veritable fountain of information on all of the above, and hopefully able to answer some of the nitpicky questions that Tolkien did not address and which Elrond, Galadriel, and Arwen might refuse to answer. And, between the Lady of Imladris and myself sits...

Maglor: Second son of Feanor, and one of the greatest musicians in all of Ea. I would love to ask about the events of the First Age; also, I would ask where exactly he went after throwing the last Silmaril into the sea... And, perhaps, he could be persuaded to play a little something for us. ^_~

As for a menu, it would consist of good plain food (hobbit food, as some would say). Some more delicate fare for Celebrian and Maglor, of course. And a drink of my own invention, a mixture of Sprite and white cranberry juice. (My pardon, but I am not much of a cook, nor am I much of a meal planner. ^^; ) Perhaps Sam and Rosie (and some of the fine elves of Lothlorien) could be persuaded to cater this event? *grin*

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 12-28-2004, 05:19 PM   #10
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
My second dinner party, and third, and fourth, might be a replay of the first with different questions. The fellow wrote a thousand pages, after all, and once we start asking questions I doubt one evening will satisfy our curiosity. However at some point poor Frodo would "politely decline due to a prior engagement: tea with the Sackville Bagginses" at which point we would know we had worn out our welcome.

Following Frodo's exhausted exit, the next dinner party would be a **pot-luck** with the following folk invited:
As is my custom, I will bring assorted tropical melons and summer berries.
Beregond representing the tastes of the Minas Tirith Everyman; bringing Apples from the Winter Store, wrinkled, but still sound and sweet.
Child of the 7th Age who can still cook without electricity, has promised to bring several fine traditional dishes.
Bilbo Baggins for his reputation among hobbits of setting a fine table: plans to bring bacon & mushrooms, seed-cake, and cold chicken and pickles.
Raefindel who can cook for hobbits or elves: for my sake, she plans to bring wheat-free and dairy-free foods. However, miraculously, I can state from personal experience that hers actually taste delicious.
Gildor who sets a fine table in the woods, replete with fruit and vegetables and bread
Aiwendil representing the non-mystical philosophies, may bring whatever he chooses.
Treebeard will bring the finest of Ent-Draughts.
littlemanpoet May also bring the dish of his choice. Representing spiritual philosophy, and as one familiar with the implications of the gastronomical reputation of the last guest, who is:
Gollum. Fully intending to eat Bilbo for lunch, after much debate he was finally convinced to bring some fissssh instead.

The topic of discussion will be:
"Setting the most generically attractive table, or, multicultural menu-ethics in Middle Earth: Vegetarianism, Carnivorism, or Cannabalism?"
Old 12-29-2004, 02:39 AM   #11
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

A snapshot of the phantom's dinner party!

1) I'll give you one guess at who's sitting at the head of the table.

2) To my left, the lovely, likable, learned artist- Feanor of the Peredhil. She's blushing due to a barrage of flirty comments and looks shot at her by the host (that's me).

3) On her other side sits an annoyed Keeper of Dol Guldur (her brother). He glares at me and mutters threats under his breath until I take the hint and turn my attention to the guest on my right...

4) Ioreth, from Minas Tirith. As we all know, she is blessed- no, doubly blessed- with the gift of gab (which perhaps makes us doubly cursed). But, since this is a social occasion, I figured it made sense to invite the ultimate socializer.

5) At the opposite end of the table sits The Barrow-Wight, who is itching for someone to commit an offense great enough to justify revoking their talking privileges, or booting them out of the gathering. And it appears that he will get his chance with the guest to his right...

6) Movie Arwen. For the third time tonight she has rudely interrupted a conversation about Glorfindel, and she's also trying to pick a fight with a couple of the other guests, bragging that she's stared down the Nazgul so she's not afraid of anyone. One of the guests she is trying to rile up is...

7) Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs, who was invited so we could decide the whole wing thing once and for all. He is sitting right next to Movie Arwen, and judging from his growls, I'd say that Movie Arwen is about to get what she deserves.

8) Sitting across from Movie Arwen is Book Arwen. She hasn't said a word so far. She's just kind of sitting there looking pretty, and hoping that the film version across from her is taking notes.

9) To her left is The Saucepan Man, who was invited because... oh, everyone knows why Saucy got invited. You can't have a party without the coolest member of The Barrow-Downs.

10) The final guest is none other than Smaug! I've always wanted to talk to a dragon, so I invited him. He promised me that if I could get my hands on enough food to satisfy his appetite, he would let me climb on his back and take me for a ride.
Quote:
Finishing off the table is the phantom
Thank you for inviting me.
Quote:
because he just looks so darned good in a tux
Fea, my dear, you don't have to beat around the bush and say "darned good". Just say "smokin' hot" and be done with it.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:35 PM   #12
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The One Dinner Party to Rule them All...

Well, with a ten person limit I certainly would have to have more than one dinner party! They'd have to be for different reasons, too... humorous parties, serious parties, a poetry reading party, a party at which I invite davem, Fordim, and Sauce and just let them talk while I scribble furiously on a notepad .... but I digress. Here's what my first one would look like.

Going clockwise around the table...

1. Me, your gracious hostess, at the head of the table.

2. Fea, a great and very funny person, would sit to my left. We'd discuss art and then share some pictures after dessert.

3. Elrond would have to sit nearby, and share with us some of his wisdom. We'd keep things from getting too dry by convincing him to let Fea and I wear his tiara -- whoops, I mean circlet.

4. Keeping to boy/girl/boy/girl pattern, I would then seat Child of the Seventh Age. She seems like a wise woman to me, with whom we could certainly have some deep conversations.

5. Meriadoc Brandybuck, a charming and intelligent little fellow, would be next. I'd like him to come because everyone needs a hobbit around to add some cheer.

6. Next, THE Ka. And she's not just any Ka, mind you. We'd discuss mystical things and compare star charts.

7. Grima would have to attend, because I have a feeling he never gets invited to any good parties. Being a blonde, Nordic-looking female, however, I would not place him too close to myself. Later I'd get him a couch to lie on, don some glasses, and ask him age-old questions such as, "Did you really love Eowyn? Or was it just, you know, physical attraction?"

8. The Saucepan Man would be the next seated, disrupting the alternate male/female placing, but also providing protection from any villainy Master Wormtongue may have planned. Any fast moves and Sauce could wallop him on the head with a pan -- not too hard, though! Sauce and the next guest would certainly drum up some interesting conversation...

9. Fordim, a scholarly gent with a humorous streak, would add both wonderful attributes to the discussions.

10. Maglor would sit to my right; we would discuss music and probably bore the pants off of everyone. Perhaps he'd perform for us later in the evening.

As for the food... ehh, I'm not much of a cook -- hope you guys like White Castle! I'll make some cakes, though, for dessert...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:58 AM   #13
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! If you have recently eaten, I'd suggest to stay away.

Mith you know what you're talking about, my fireworks are definately superior to that of the old wizards.

A trully mirthful thread Fordhim, now onto the party.

As for the guests:
(going from right to left around the round table).

Me: Of course.

Chris Lee: Next to me, I could spend the whole night talking to this guy about Tolkien, and how was his experience with him.

Next to Lee, Pippin, what party wouldn't be complete without the entertainment?

Next to Pippin, Sapphy, I just imagine that those two would get a long very well. They might be able to put on a stand up comedy performance later in the evening.

Next to Sapphy, Boromir, I have to have a personal bouncer to throw out any whackos. You never know what can happen with this wide range of people. Plus, I'm interested in bringing back da Disco.

Next to him, and completely across from me, Encaitare. For the reason, see the next one.

Next to Enca, her best buddy! Gothmog! I can't wait to see how them to get a long.

Next to Gothmog, Denethor. Party won't be fully complete without a raving lunatic talking about the end of the world while spitting chewed up cherries across the table in Sapphy's face. Poor sapphy.

Next to Denny, Lalwende. The special guest for the evening, to give a lecture on custards and the breaking of light.

Last but not least, the person to the left of me Mith. So, I can explain to her the concept of football, and why I hate Lloyd Carr so much.

Forget the normal steak and chicken, we are keeping to the theme at my party. Let's eat middle-earth style, compliments to our chef Samwise Gamgee.

First the table has their own Lembas basket, to get everything started off. Problem is, you take one bite, you're full for the evening.

Appetizers: Frodo Fingers- I know the menu says you get 10, but for some reason it only comes with 9. Or....The One Ring bloom of onion- The problem with this is we only have one in stock, and the person who is lucky enough to get it won't share it with anyone, and his greed for more begins to consume him, but problem is there's only one. Then you must go on a long quest to the supermarket and pick up maalox max to clear out the horrible heartburn.

Soups and Salads: Lothlorien Salad- The salad leaves are mallorn leaves fit with our special dressing from the oils of Galadriel's hair herself. A tasty treat indeed. Dead Marshes soup- a foggy, nasty looking thing, and if you stare into the little lights you'll light candles of your own.

Main course: Saruman fillet- A fine cut of meat from Saruman's scrappings after falling to a slicy death. You also get a side of Grima's wormtongue. Gollum Dinner- You get yourself some nice raw fish and coney, with a side of gollum nuggets.

Deserts: Caradhras blast- A tasty ice cream sundae so cold people have even frozen to death. Mincemeat pie- just because it's so nasty no one would want to eat.

Drinks: Rivendell Coffee- Elrond tends to slip in some ex-lax in his coffee. He's just always so angry sometimes the build up is too much. Miruvor.

I know the guests are salivating over the dinner for the evening, so come with an empty stomach . (Sorry if I grossed people out)

Last edited by Boromir88; 12-30-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:42 PM   #14
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Ah, Boromir, I must remember to come back and rep that post as soon as I can... *wipes eyes*

If I was really seated next to Gothmog... I think I'd prod his arm-tumor-growth thing with a fork. A lot.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:32 AM   #15
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
6. Next, THE Ka. And she's not just any Ka, mind you. We'd discuss mystical things and compare star charts.
Ah! Lovely! Thank you! I wouldn't mind holding the stars at gunpoint for you ...Er, I mean... They never do stay in one position for any reasonable time, that First House is a fast one!

Thank you,

~ Astro Ka~
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:14 PM   #16
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, this seems like much fun! I must get in on this....

As for invitees ('Downers in bold):

1) The Barrow-Wight, because he is all-powerful. To not invite him would be a dire sin, and invoke his wrath.

2) Eowyn, because she is my hero. Need I say any more?

3) Sapphy, for what party is complete without her?

4) Merry, so he and Eowyn could collaborate on showing me their famous Nazgul-slaying technique.

5) Boromirr88, to collaborate with Sapphy on livening up the party.

6) Aragorn, because, after all, why not?

7) Faramir, because, after all, why not?

8) Feanor of the Peredhil, because she's just cool.

9) the phantom, because where Fea goes, he will follow, so why not just invite him?

10) And last, of course, myself.

<Sorry, Fordim, I got a bit out of proportion!>

As for menu, I'd just have Bilbo cater it, since he cooks better than he cooks, if you know what I mean.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:56 PM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Thank yee Elrond, I love parties!

You know, my first party seemed more enjoyable, had some comedy, had some dancing, a lot of friendly conversations. I think my 2nd party I'm going to liven it up a bit, get the invitees paired up with a certain person to really add a bit of spice .

(The order will go from right to left, as before, notice who I have my guests sitting next to.) :devil smiley:

1) Me- again.

2) Eowyn, since she's pretty. Note: I invited Faramir too but for some reason Eowyn didn't let him come (for the reason you'll have to see the following guests).

3) Aragorn

4) Arwen- Oh man, this should get good. Aragorn will have his hands full tonight.

5) Lalwende- You know, I decided to invite her back because she's not in her true, full personality without the guest she is sitting next too. P.S. Lal, bring the spiders.

6) Davem- Davem, bring your reputation jewels, we're settling it tonight.

7) Elrond- just sits and mutters how stupid and weak everyone is.

8) SpM- (reason below)

9) Turin- Think I don't see these two arguing a lot. Instead of the classic battle of good vs. evil, its Moviest vs. purist.

Note: I'm not paired up with anyone since I happen to like everyone. :angel smiley:

Edit: Special guests for the evening will be Mith, SpM, and Fordhim to endlessly debate...the many debatable topics (as well as the controversial Aragorn). I can see this one getting violent.

I know you will all be pleased to hear, the dinner is staying the same as the first party, only thing, one addition:

Mirkwood Salad- Some nice wilted lettuce topped with this dark black dressing. You might find the occasional spider leg in there too, try to pick em out they tend to get stuck in your teeth.

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-23-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #18
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A Conspirators Cabal

Oh, you, Fordim Hedgethistle! Just when I am most confusticated and bebothered with real life dinner parties you suggest one here! However, as I am want to celebrate all the twelve days of Christmas, up to and including the Orthodox calendar celebration, I think I am but merely fashionably late. (Oh, do I use that line too often?) So, for this time, I shall not call fie and indigestion upon our gracious host, Fordim. Or is he more like an Innkeeper here, overseeing many various guests and parties?

Well I recall this particular parlour game, although I tended a bit mischievously to mix the likes of Laurence Sterne and Henry Fielding with, say, Ann Radcliffe and Jane Austen, or Mary Wollstonecraft and Elizabeth Browning. I thank you for your gracious invitation to myself, Fordim, and promise in a later party to include you in a manner more fitting for your interests. For now, here is my first party:

A dark and dingy cellar deep in the back streets of Dale, long before the Desolation of Smaug. Conspirators meet, perhaps with an aim of mounting eventually an expedition to The Shire in hopes of purloining needed aid against the Were-Worm. Oil lanterns light the scene half-heartedly and a small stone fireplace casts some heat. Walls are black with soot and smoke lingers in the air. This will likely prove an uproarious repast and so don?t expect impeccable manners, for hysterical furore oft generates energetic rumpus. It?s that kind of party for that kind of age. Needless to say, no elves.

The daughter of Tom and Goldberry sits quietly opposite Squatter of Amon Rùdh, who generously gesticulates his many points, especially when they are contested by Kuruharan, who sits to Bethberry's right and equally pontificates his own queries and questions. Both of these Downer dwarves, however, are often silenced by the argumentative scrappings of those paragons of domestic bliss, Aulë and Yavanna, who sit across from each other, one to Bethberry's left and the other to Squatter's right. A smug look of satisfaction can be seen to cross his face whenever the couple become particularly cantankerous. Who's afraid of the Valar wolves?

Beside Aulë sits Dis, that most mysterious of dwarven kind, whose reaction to the rough and tumble of the discourse could well cement the future fate of females of her kind. Beside Yavanna sits Bullroarer Baggins, a mighty giant of his kind and well able to hold his own against this fractious fellowship.

We are lucky to have with us more peacemakers than just the Bombadil daughter. Estelyn sits at the left of Squatter, knowing him perhaps the best of all the present company and able to punctuate his wit with cryptic observations of her own. It is from this meal and this cabal that she learns so ably how to egg both Squatter and Kuruharan on in the REB stakes.

Beorn sits opposite Bullroarer while the legendary burrahobbit rounds out the table with the requisite corrections of all errors in thought and legendarium which might proceed from the clash of opinion. Sometimes, just sometimes now mind you, he wishes Obloquy were present.

And of what shall the conspirators partake? Well, a secret meeting cannot be picky about its victuals or potables. Plain faire it shall be. Fowl pie of some sort and blood sausage. Fish chowder. Neeps and greens and carrots. Heavy, dark rye bread or eight grain, served with butter and gooseberry jam. Poached eggs on beds of spinach and mushrooms. Steamed puddings and raspberry tarts. There shall be porter and dark ale to drink, mead and cider for those wishing something sweeter. And some time towards the end of the affair, coffee, if they are not interrupted and forced to see their plans come together as they fight off yet another incursion of Smaug. You might say they are my ?A dinner team.?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:42 AM   #19
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

I don't 'do' parties, because firstly, my house is far too crowded with books and mathoms and creatures that allowing more than two humans within is a recipe for disaster, and secondly, I am always so aftraid of offending anyone that I would have to invite everyone I knew, so the recipe for disaster would end up being served as a steaming dish. But anyway, 'tis a bit of fun, so here goes:

Lalwende's Breaking the Light Supper Thing

Now I'm not altogether fond of dinner parties, being quite self conscious when eating as I tend to spill food all over the place (and a bag of chips on a wall is much more my 'thing'), but I might hold a special one with the above theme. It would centre around discussion of theories of Light in Arda, and conversation would become very spacey and deep. To that end, I have had to invite those who seem to have an understanding of cosmological concepts and a willingness to risk madness in pursuit of that understanding.

The table will be round, as like King Arthur, I wish all to be considered as equals. And this dinner party will be held in a big old tent thingy (what other people with more posh circles of acquaintance may know as a Marquee) with a hole in the ceiling to let all the smoke out, and allow the night air in to soothe troubled brows.

Saruman - not popular at Downer dinner parties, I should have to hope he could regain his physical form and attend (though if he came in spirit form at least it would leave more food and drink for everyone else), as I am quite desperate to know if he was performing acts of evil, thought he was being a scientist or was some kind of heretic. He can explain that staff and what he was doing with the Palantir too.
Gandalf - as a foil to Saruman, I would want him there to calm the effects of his former leader's voice. But also to give his perspective on what exactly Saruman was doing wrong. I'd hope he'd explain something of the Secret Fire too.
Boromir88 - because he is willing to jump in and tackle the thorny issue of Light, science and cosmology and not afraid to speculate.
davem - because he too is willing to discuss this and he knows all about Fleiger and is very clever, and that last thing will quite go to his head.
Child - she knows about Light, too, and Fleiger. And she also has a calming influence which will stop any potential cross-table bun-throwing.
Galadriel - already very popular at Downer dinner parties I suppose I should have to book her months in advance. But her presence is required as she understands the divinity of Light.
Mark 12_30 - with her different perspective on the matter of Light and Divinity, she will enliven the table by posing questions that the rest of us might not have thought about.
Me - I'm not spending all night in the kitchen though.

Food and drink - the food will be provided by Rick Stein because as we all know, fish is good for the brains and they will be needed. And the grub in his restaurant is splendid. The drinks will consist of strange brews to stimulate the mind almost to the point of madness, and good pure Yorkshire water - my tipple of choice. Large bowls of tobacco will be placed on one of those lazy susan thingys in the middle of the table, and hopefully nobody will grumble about the smoke. I might consider serving a large vat of custard as Boromir88 may show willing to try out the theory that you can walk on it, which will suit the scientific theme of the evening - though he must not stand still as then the custard will act as quicksand and he will be trapped in it forever.

This dinner party will be such an outrageous success that it will be followed on the next day by:

Lalwende's Bun Feight

The table again will be round, as the theme of this dinner party will simply be 'laugh until your sides split', and a round table will facilitate better banter. I think I may again decide to hold it in the tent thingy, as I don't want my house ruined by any chucked food. And of course, I will be keen to get an extra night's usage out of aforementioned marquee, and it would be amusing to have it sent back slightly soiled. Anyone who even attempts to be serious shall be immediately forced to go into the kitchen and wash up. Alas, there is a slight gender imbalance here, as despite having so many marvellously funny ladies on the Downs, they are not quite so common seemingly within Middle Earth.

Mithalwen - because she does not fail to make me laugh and I want to see if she shouts when she's drunk.
Eomer of the Rohirrim - for his witty one-liners, and to keep Mithalwen quiet too.
Bilbo Baggins - because he's Bilbo, and my very favourite Hobbit, and of course he must come because of his way with words, upsetting people with his peculiar sense of humour and all that!
Tom Bombadil - to entertain us with some silly songs, some tall tales and his stomping about.
Davem - he gets another invite, because once he starts laughing, he doesn't stop for hours.
Bethberry - as she is not only frightfully smart, but very witty with it.
Estelyn - for her wonderful gentle humour, and her way with trouble makers; I have no doubt she will prevent any excessive chucking of food.
Heren-Istarion - he has such a strange sense of humour, slightly sarcastic, very clever, but never unpleasant!

Food and drink - now, I think the food should be mainly centred around things like cake - also known as 'buns' in these here parts, hence the 'feight', which suggests a 'fight' but in reality just means a party. Though I might also serve up fish and chips and mushy peas, in newspaper. The drinks served will be ales and lashings of ginger beer. The police will be called at 1am due to all the laughing echoing around the neighbourhood.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:35 PM   #20
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Being the glutton that I am for breeding malcontent, I have decided to go out and earn my punishments. My latest dinner gathering will be... eventful.

Guest number one: Durin's Bane. During dinner, we could permanently solve the wing question. I must be certain not to order chicken wings, as I hear that balrogs taste like them (ie: hot and like chicken), and the wing aspect of the appetizer may unshadow his fiery temper. Dessert shall be roasted marshmallows.

Roggie's dinner partner will be Meela. I rather think that she would appreciate his occasional party tricks of spouting flames. Also, her sense of humor might serve to keep my next two guests from annoying each other too much.

On my other side sit Nienna and Tom Bombadil. Her being in a state of constant sorrow and him not particularly understanding what that is should balance out quite nicely. He can cheer her up and she can, perhaps, get him to stop singing.

Further along the table sits Nilpaurion Felagund, arguing merrily with Adam.

Sitting at the far end of my table is Ungoliant, consuming rather more than her own fair share of the meal. Occasionally Roggie ups and flies to her end of the table in order to keep her in line, but when things get out of hand, I have a bucket of water handy to gooify him.

As I said, the meal with include no chicken wings, but perhaps I could serve lembas and such nice things for my "good" guests, and essence of all that is good to those not-so-nice personages.

Fea
Old 01-21-2005, 08:52 PM   #21
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Okay, this sounds like fun...

Now, I could never host a party in real life, having (for my own physical territory) a bedroom that would not FIT ten people, let alone do it comfortably. Of course, I'm also hampered by a general inability to invite people to things in the first place, but let's assume that's not the case.

Of course, I still have the problem of inviting five Downers. It's like taking five random names out of a phonebook. I hardly know any of you people. The middle-earthians, Valinoreans, and Numenorians are, of course, all dearly-beloved old friends. The question there is not who to invite, but who NOT to invite. Five is a pretty small number after all...

Okay, for starters, there's me, sitting at the head (or is the the foot, I can't tell) of the table, which is conveniently located somewhere in Never-Neverland, where people from Middle-earth and the Downs can easily access it..

Seated to my left is Bombur, who is perhaps the only Dwarf whose personality seems closer to that of a Hobbit. And who will do a fine job of making me look tall and fit (although I'm neither fat, short, nor lazy, I'm not the finest specimen of humankind this side of the South Saskatchewan).

Seated next to Bombur is the second of the obligatory Downers (myself being, of course, the first). Let's hear a big round of applause for the Phantom, invited for his excellent taste in music (Let's hear it for the Phantom of the Opera, perhaps my favourite of music...) The Phantom has also been invited for his general ability to act intelligent and witty (although I am well-possessed of those attributes myself, if I may allow my ego to shine through momentarily...)

Next to the Phantom is another Downer. Please welcome Lalwende, who was actually invited for no other reason than that I wanted to get the Bilbo avatar image out of my head. Although all the indications are that she's another intelligent guest who would actually add to the conversation, and not wear it out. Besides, I had to make sure I got a lady in somehow...

Next to Lalwende is Lord Celeborn, who is currently baching it in the old family home, his wife and daughter having already moved into their new residence in Eressia. Rumour has it he's a charming dinner companion, and he was also willing to bring some miruvor, which he has exclusive access to in Middle-earth since house-sitting for his half-elven son-in-law.

At the foot (or head) of the table is seated, on a booster seat, the physically unimposing, but always very charming, Bilbo Baggins. As the Hobbit who first hooked me on Middle-earth, this is my thank-you (and a concession to Lalwende, to make sure she showed up). Besides, he offered to bring a bottle or four of the Old Winyards.

We now move onto the other side of the table, where we meet another Downer. I don't think it is necessary to introduce him, as I'm sure you all know the one and only (thank goodness!) SaucepanMan. While the invitation will state that he was invited for his wit and good company, the fact is that the caterers (Barliman Butterbur and the staff of the Prancing Pony) forgot about cooking utensils (something about things wanted, always buried...), and as such, we need the SaucepanMan's saucepans. We considered inviting Sam, but then we would have had to invite Rosie, and Sam's pans are only hobbit-sized anyway.

Of course, SpM may well have use of his pans in other areas, considering that the person next to him is none other than the Mouth of Sauron. Quite apart from possessing horrid table manners which will require repeated banging with pans, he seems the sort of person that is fun to bang around in any case. Actually, the invitation was sent to OCCUPANT, Gorgoroth Lane, Mordor, as a diversion to get Sauron out of the house while a couple of pranksters snuck in and put some explosives in his decorative volcano out back. Sauron declined the invitation, more or less as expected, citing something about being incorporeal, but sent his Mouth in his place. This caught us off guard, and we were forced to forget about inviting Tom Bombadil. As of yet, no one has complained that strenuously...

To counterbalance the gloominess of the Mouth, it was decided to seat our last Downer, Boromir88 to his other side. This guest seems capable of providing enough levity to counterbalance the Mouth, and is tactful enough not to comment too harshly on his right-hand seating partner.

Lastly, on Boromir88's left hand, we have our final guest. Serving as bouncer-cum-dessert baker, we have Grimbeorn the Old. Grimbeorn wasn't invited so much for his conversational or social skills (how much does a bear have, anyway?), but he's said to bake the meanest honey-cake in the Wilderland, and we have it on the highest word (that of the redoubtable Samwise Gamgee) that Lembas gets old really fast.

Well, there you have it. My dinner party. Precisely what dinner will be I can't say. That's up to the caterers. Fortunately, with Old Vinyards, honeycakes, and miruvor, even if Butterbur and crew can't turn out anything edibile with SpM's saucepans, it should still be a memorable party.

Here's hoping that it's enough of a success that I am able to invite people to another, knowing that they'll come.

*Raises glass. Drains glass. Looks for Old Vinyards bottle...*

Last edited by Formendacil; 04-11-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Formendacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:38 PM   #22
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
1420! A party to make you want to smash your head on the wall...

My what an interesting thread, Fordim .

I will be hosting an informal sort of dinner party for mutual mental acrobatics, since I've been in Quiz Room heaven recently. The guests will be as follows (starting from the head and then back and forth across the table):

1. At the head of the table, Squatter of Amon Rudh . Yes, I'm giving up my place of honor at my own party, but I feel like Squatter is much better prepared to lead the fun and games.

2. On Squatter's right, Me . It is my party. I want to be near all the clever people.

3. Across the table from me, Estelyn Telcontar. The mind that invented REB certainly has a place at this gathering. Plus I suspect she's got a host of little known facts just waiting to be tested.

4. On my right, Feanor. That's right.

5. Across the table from the son of Miriel, Celebrimbor. We'll just have an epic matchup between the creators of the two most disruptive artifacts in ME history. It's like Celebrity Jeopardy.

6. On the right hand of Feanor, Nienna. Partly because I suspect she and Feanor are now well acquainted, partly because I hope she'll bring her yards of tapestry which we can use as a reference when we're too far from the bookshelf or the Encyclopedia of Arda .

7. Across from Nienna, Alaklondewen. Not only has she stumped me a good time or two, she secretly misses the agony of staring at a blank screen trying to come up with an anagram.

8. At the right hand of Nienna, The Saucepan Man. I think Saucy wrote the book on all things cryptic. If he hasn't yet, he should.

9. Across from the good PanMan, Nilpaurion Felagund. A worthy addition to any party of this sort and as an added bonus, it's like getting two guests for the price of one.

10. Last but not least, the counterpart to the noble Squatter at the foot of the table, Bilbo Baggins. One can't have a riddle party without inviting the master himself, of course.

For the menu we'll be having sandwiches, of the kind that come wrapped in white paper. Once the sandwiches are unwrapped the paper will come in extremely handy for scratching down clues and unscrambling words. There will be something tasty in spillproof bottles for beverages, mine will be Diet Coke, but the drink of each guest's preference will be provided.

Cheers.
Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #23
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
I

Mithalwen - because she does not fail to make me laugh and I want to see if she shouts when she's drunk.

Hmm, I haven't been drunk for a long time and when I was I was more of a maudlin drunk - but a glass or three does tend to loosen the tongue - if I get going on something I care about, alcohol is irrelevant. I do try not to shout because it is not a substitute for backing up the argument - ... but since I am not so good at thinking on the hoof, if I get angry I tend to go very quiet, and the tic starts up....

However, assuming Iwasn't driving there would be a chance that I might tell Bombadil just how annoying he was...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:13 AM   #24
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I don't know what complement the table means so this may not seem too good...

Ok..

First off I shall sit at the head of the table facing away from thhe window
secondly to my right will be Encantaire to her right will be Grima Wortounge we know she likes the guy Next to him will be Rosey because... HMM.. so anyway next to her is of course Sam since husband and wife must sit together next to him will be Firefoot. at the opposite head of the table is H-I cause hes very polite well mannered and I consider him a good friend.next to him is Arwen and next to her Aragorn and then Child of the Seventh Age because she is also quite nice and polite and considered a good friend...the other seats are vacant so there is room for the food
down below is a nifty diagram ok I made the diagram as well as I could it came out bad I know but I tried

Morsul
-----------/IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII\
-----------IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEnca
-----------IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
-----------IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGrima
--Child-----IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRosey
Aragorn---IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISam
---Arwen--IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFirefoot
-----------\IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII/
---------------------H-I
Old 01-25-2005, 07:29 PM   #25
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
First off I shall sit at the head of the table facing away from thhe window
secondly to my right will be Encantaire to her right will be Grima Wortounge we know she likes the guy
Aw, how sweet of you. And how... remarkably perceptive.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:51 PM   #26
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Well I predominantly haunt the Quiz Room...

...so this'll be a Quizzer's party!
The Saucepan Man: Who could leave him out; our most cryptic clatterer? Not to mention a wonderful mod and leader.
Nilpaurion Felagund: Always a jolly good time with these two!
Gandalf: The Wisest Maia of all, certainly to know a good deal of trivia.
Firefoot: What's the Quiz Room with out 20 Questions and what's 20 Questions with out Firefoot?
NightKnight: Our resident Swede, with good sense of humor... here's to hoping he'll return.
Bilbo Baggins: Goodness, he translated all those Elvish tales, he must have a few whiz-bangers up his sleeve!
Heren-Istarion: Mostly quotes, but that "Another Way Around" is quite the toughie! Besides, who could leave him out?
The Perky Ent: Again, hoping this Bregalad-ish fellow would peek in now and then.
Sophia the Thunder Mistress: Returning from a long absence; I missed her stumpers!
And from waaay back in the day...
Bruce MacCulloch and Mat-Heathertoes/Russandol: A long time ago when our flesh was not fully rotted, these two would engage in unbreakable quizzing sprees with questions that made (and still make) my head spin!
Eru Iluvatar: Gotta have that omniscient fella to confirm our answers so we don't have to spend valuble eating time looking them up in the books!

Last edited by Lindolirian; 01-27-2005 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Bruce and Mat
Lindolirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:25 PM   #27
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Dinner!

Lindo, you left yourself and Vairë out!

Wrong Lindo, wise guy.

Oh.

~*~

Quote:
NightKnight: Our resident Swede, with good sense of humor... here's to hoping he'll return.
. . .
The Perky Ent: Again, hoping this Bregalad-ish fellow would peek in now and then. (Lindo)
I agree. I hope those two would be back permanently in the Quiz Room.

Although, Bruce MacCulloch does peek every now and then.

~*~

Being an avid fan of asocialism, I am not trained in the art of Hosting Parties. But after receiving a string of invitations (Thank you very much, Fea, Sophia, and Lindo! ), I felt it my duty to reciprocate. Problem is, I have made so much acquaintances in so many areas of the Downs that it would be hard to find just ten people.

I guess I’ll have to do it thematically.

But I can’t post now. I still have to make my guest lists. Plus find caterers. Food is always the diadem of my party.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:58 PM   #28
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril Did somebody say 'party'?

Honored guests, I welcome you, to movie night. The meal, if it can truly be called that, is popcorn, Ben and Jerry's, and soda. And Fea's [in]famous pizza dip (made with cream cheese, chile sauce, peppers, onions, pepperoni, and cheese). The movie shall be [the cartoon version of] The Return of the King, and the featured guests shall be:

Samwise Gamgee, to explain to us what he was really doing behind that bush. "I was just digging for taters, Gandalf, sir... not droppin' no eaves."

Elrond Peredhil, to explain the existence of his beard and halo. "Artistic license goes such a long way."

That Gondorian Minstrel for live performance of each song, followed by an emergency binding, gagging, and stuffing in a sound-proofed room.

Myself, of course.

And to finish it off, Encaitare and Child of the Seventh Age, both of whom are recorded as having not liked the movie whatsoever. Mwahahaha. *evil smilie*.

Finishing off the night's activities will be a non-ceremonial burning of all traces of that film. *shudder*.

Fea [wanders away singing "where there's a whip [crack] there's a way."]
Old 03-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #29
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

Here's my attempt. Sorry if it's a but rubbish.

Myself: of course.

The Barrow Wight: got to keep the landlord happy.

Gaffer Gamgee: To bring his amusing analogies and sayings.

The Saucepan man: Who knows? You may need a saucepan! (no offence Saucepan)

Morsul the Dark: Why not? You need someone Dark at a party!

Bilbo Baggins: We all need some good story telling.

Aragorn: So we have royalty on the guest list.

Seating plan:

The Gaffer and Bilbo sat across from each other, to share Hobbit talk.
Mr Wight at the head of the Table (keep the land lord happy, still)
Saucepan across from Morsul so they can throw things at each other for everyone's amusement.
Aragorn at the other head of the table. (hay, he's a King!)
Me, in the corner, the board looking one.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 AM   #30
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Ah, but aren't these parties difficult to organize? I considered a White Horse Inn party, but as my character is currently unconscious, that's just out of the question. I've already had a formal party, a movie party, as well as a few random parties, so now, I've decided to replicate the parties I throw most often: completely informal and involving cookies.

The location: the creek-side corner of the field beyond my home. I would invite you all in, of course, but my puppy is rather anti-social. And big. And so I invite you all to bring your bathing suits and sunblock, because we will be outdoors in the sun.

The hostess of the party, me, is most likely to be found sitting on the small gravel "island" mid-creek, with her feet dangling in the water. Eating cookies and drinking lemonade, I will no doubt be carrying on conversation with the phantom, because as Eddy once said, where one of us is, the other soon follows, just to see what new entertainment shall arise. Down the creek a little ways, informing us to "Hush! You're scaring the fish!" are The Saucepan Man and Gollum. Reclining against the grassy bank, Saucie is lazily smokes a pipe and occasionally sips his iced tea. Gollum stands mid-creek, slathered in SPF 100 sunblock and wearing aviators, arched uncomfortably over the water, trying madly not to cast his shadow over the nervous fishes. Sitting daintily on a blanket on the field's edge is Arwen, a large floppy (but that's not to say unlovely) hat casting shadow over her delicate skin. She carries on a quiet (but that's not to say unwelcoming) conversation with Goldberry, who is sitting comfortably amongst the reeds on the water's edge.

After a few lazy hours of fishing and relaxing, the meal will consist of the few fish that Saucie spirited away from Gollum, nicely seared over the small fire that we, against all odds, managed to light on the neat little island that has been my perch most of the afternoon. Seasoned with wild herbs, the fish turns out most excellent, dispite the hostess's dislike for seafood. The phantom, witty as ever, reminds the hostess that the fish was caught in a creek, not a sea. Complementing the simple meal are plump summer berries, found just off the edge of the trail. Unhurried conversation presides over the meal.

Discussion includes Goldberry's origin, the weather (and what to do about it on rainy days), Korprat-loyers, geography, underground reservoirs, and needle-work.

Fea
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:39 AM   #31
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Wot no Narfforc.

Well thanks a lot, remind me never to invite you lot to my Maggoty Bread Feast.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #32
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye an overdue dinner party...

I believe I was supposed to host this little party last June, but a busy summer drove it from my mind. My apologies to the guest of honor...

...Feanor of the Peredhil!

This dinner party is to congratulate her for getting through high school without going insane and to wish her luck as she begins her quest for a degree.

Fea is the guest of honor, so she will, of course, occupy the space at the head of the table, and also determine what food will be served. I have hired an army of chefs and they are prepared to make anything from cheeseburgers, to sushi, to ice cream (or even Ray-min- oops, I mean Rah-men noodles ).

Since she is an artist, I thought it would be appropriate to invite one of Middle-Earth's greatest craftsmen- Celebrimbor. He will be seated to her left.

The person I have selected to sit to her right is none other than the greatest craftsman ever to live, her namesake- Feanor!

I'm sure her conversations with Feanor and his grandson will help lift her artistry to a new level.

Next to Celebrimbor will be Fordim. Indiana Jones is one of Fea's biggest heroes, and as everyone knows, Fordim is in truth Indiana Jones.

Encaitare will be seated across from him. I'm sure Fea would want her fellow New Yorker and long lost sister near her end of the table.

But who else should I invite? Well, perhaps first I should ask, what sort of fun are we going to have at the party?

Well, a group of people + Fea + the phantom = a game of WEREWOLF!!!

So, following that line of thinking, it seems appropriate to invite Draugluin and Carcharoth, who, I am told, make excellent wolves.

Aragorn would be invited (in case we need a ranger) and also, Malbeth, who is particularly effective when he happens to get the role of "seer".

To fill out the table, I invited a couple of my (and Fea's) favorite Barrow-Downs Werewolf players, SPM and Eomer.

Ah yes- it will be a grand party.

(good luck this year, Fea, I know you'll have fun- just try and keep up with your work at the same time , and if anyone gives you trouble just tell them you're friends with the phantom)
Old 09-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #33
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Hmmm . . . My birthday is fast approaching.

I should like to throw a dinner party!

The party would probably be set in the Laurelin Hall of Tirion, as no lesser chamber would do. So I would have to get special permission from the Valar to allow my mortal guests to stay in the Blessed Realm for a day.

With that done, it’s time to send out invitations. But I forgot! Finrod and Amarië are currently on the shores of the Outer Sea! Who would come?

Of course, your host, Nilpaurion Felagund, would be there, sitting at the head of the table.

On my left side would be Lhunardawen, my sister. She would be putting eyeliner on her brother, my cousin, and a good family friend, Eomer of the Rohirrim.

Across from them would be seated the dear Princess Kath, discussing Quenya with the guy who be short, a recently-crowned Prince--ooh, what a coincidence!

Beside them would be seated NightKnight, who has recently returned to the barrows cold. He would be merrily trading Middle-earth questions with Firefoot, a fellow Quizzer, who would be seated from across him. Two sharp minds in one place—I’ll never be able to get a thread now.

Suddenly the entire table bursts into laughter, because Oddwen had told one of her crazy stories about hamsters in Rivendell—or was it rabbits? Enedwaith across from her would be Meneltarmacil, a fellow New Movie Script writer, who couldn’t wait for gift-giving time, probably because he has a two-ton rock or some other hurtful thing inside that box. Just try!

Seated at the end of the table would be my grandfather Finarfin, because we would need a figure of authority to keep this party from turning into something that would wake up the sleeping neighbours. Besides he owes me a lot of presents.

Repast would be a fusion of the Elvish and the Hobbitish, to satisfy both the sublime and the ravenous. Limpë and lembas—grandma Eärwen has this very good recipe for chocolate-flavoured ones--, mushroom and bacon, and lots and lots of fruits and cheeses.

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 09-14-2005 at 09:59 PM. Reason: word waffling
Old 09-14-2005, 09:34 PM   #34
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Leaf Check out the leaf!

A party, eh? Mind if I crash? As an immortal ent, I think i'll take a little trip to Tirion. I'll take my usual seat

I'll even bring some of my "special" water. Don't worry. Your eyes are suppost to do that after you drink it!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #35
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Leaf Sorry Perks!

I forgot you in this one! You see, I had this list for quite a while before your return, and I just managed to post it now.

Maybe I'll throw another party, when mum and dad comes back from their holiday by the sea. There are some more people I would like to invite.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:00 PM   #36
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Leaf Lies! Lies and slander!

yeah...i'm sure.

S'ok with me. I got lots of tea of food to keep me company here in Tirion. I think Lorien knows where the entwives are. Plus, I'll probably start another entmoot. That should hold for about....three years?

And if all else fails...the force- i mean ....ent drought will be with me. Always
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:28 PM   #37
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
And to finish it off, Encaitare and Child of the Seventh Age, both of whom are recorded as having not liked the movie whatsoever. Mwahahaha. *evil smilie*.
Ooh, Feanor, this is months old but I missed it on the first go round. That is absolutely cruel! I can't think of a worse way to spend an evening than watching that blasted cartoon of RotK. My only consolation is that Encaitare will be suffering along with me.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:30 PM   #38
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Better late than never!

Well, Morsul , I'm only nine months late but I accept your party invitation. And thanks so much for sitting me down beside Rosie. She can give me all the "dirt" on Frodo and Sam!
Old 09-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #39
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child
I can't think of a worse way to spend an evening than watching that blasted cartoon of RotK. My only consolation is that Encaitare will be suffering along with me.
Nice woman, that Child.

I think it just might make me laugh more than cringe a second time around... I hope.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:01 PM   #40
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My social debut...

Well, as I'm officially skint as of this afternoon, the last of my trust fund in the hands of the Coca-Cola company, I thought I'd celebrate with a meta-party.

We'll eat in Florence, on the site of Minas Tirith, at a restaurant near the Ponte Vecchio.

On my left will be Aredhel, Ar-Feiniel of the Noldor, and on my right Feanor of the Peredhil, that much-demanded supper guest. On her other side will be the phantom, because he'd assuredly come anyway.

Opposite me will be Curufin, whose sly and subtle wit will enliven the party. On either side of him will be Queen Beruthiel and Mithalwen, who will assuredly get on.

On Beruthiel's other side will be Bethberry, forming an invincible triad of ailurophiles; on Aredhel's other side Daeron, who should have plenty to argue about amusingly with Curufin, at the foot of the table Maeglin, (I'll arrange for Idril Celebrindal to be the waitress...an extra...) and at the head, if he'll come, the great genius Maglor.

I'll have a Pizza Beatrice myself; some of table rosso will be available to drink...and we'll have a rousing dance on the Ponte to harp accompaniment after supper...