The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2002, 01:54 AM   #1
HammerTime
Pile O'Bones

HammerTime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Scouring of the Shire.

I was just thinking about things left out in the tFotR movie, and I realised that Galadriel never gave out her gifts. Because of this Sam wouldn't have any of the Lorien dirt, so theoretically whe the hobbits have driven Saruman out of the Shire, it (the Shire) would take generations to heal it's wounds (mainly the trees that have been cut down). What do people think PJ will do to solve this?
Old 12-17-2002, 02:08 AM   #2
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

Although it doesn't show Galadriel giving out her gifts, afterwards all the members of the company are wearing the Lorien cloaks with mallorn brooches. I think, although I haven't seen the extended version, that the gift giving scene is in it.<P>I've also wondered about the Scouring of the Shire. Although I love that part of the book, where we get to see how different all the hobbits are after all their adventures, I could see PJ having to cut it out, and ending the movie in Gondor. After all, after the breaking of Sauron's power, the battle of Pelennor Fields and the destruction of the Ring, it would make sense (from a cinematic point of view, at least) to end the movie there. <P>I'm not saying I'd like it, but I could see it happening.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 02:36 AM   #3
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Well, yes they did show the gift giving scene in the extended version. Boromir did not get a gift because he was going to die, but stil, I wish that PJ would give him his belt. But Sam did not get the box. Instead he got rope as a gift, even though he actually go tit in the boat and not as a gift. Well, I really don't think that there will be a scouring of the shire, but I'm not surprised, although I am sad.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 02:41 AM   #4
HammerTime
Pile O'Bones

HammerTime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You're right they probably will end it earlier (maybe in the fields of Cormallen) but I think, just to please fans they should end it with sam saying "Well, I'm back"
Old 12-17-2002, 04:55 AM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

PJ has said that he will leave out teh Scouring of the Shire, but include The Grey Havens and Sam's return home. You can even find stills showing Sam's return if you look for them. So yes, fans will hear Sam say his closing lines. (And I will be a wreck for ... weeks? Months?)
Old 12-17-2002, 06:07 AM   #6
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh! I'm so pleased (if this turns out to be true!) I hadn't read that about the Grey Havens and Sam's return.(being for sure included in the movie) Somebody said somewhere that PJ stated the ending would be particularly sad, so I was worried that Frodo would die instead of going to the Grey Havens. GH cheers me, I think of Frodo and Bilbo singing lots of songs with elves in the sunshine!
Old 12-17-2002, 08:17 AM   #7
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of course the ending will be sad. The enbding of the book is sad. It will be sad watching Sam not able to go across the sea with Frodo just like reading it in the book. It is a very bittersweet ending and I expect nothing less in the movie.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 10:45 AM   #8
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm allready dreading next December, and the fact that I'm going to make a fool of myself by sobbing weeks after the famous words... <P>I wished Pj had left the scouring, but i can understand his reasons. But the scouring of the Shire being left out leads us to a question: when will Saruman be killed, and by whom? I have seen some pictures of him supposedly dead, but I don't if they are reliable. Does anyone have a bit of inside-information about this...?
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 01:32 PM   #9
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I meant that PJ implied the ending would be sadder than the "already sad" ending of the book, a warning, perhaps.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:43 PM   #10
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am glad to hear about the ending with sam and the Gray Havens but i am still holding out hope that PJ will, in one of his many additions, have the scouring of the Shire. I loved that chapter and the Hobbits were just awesome defending their home. Maybe he will film later and add this part in an extended edition. I am always hearing that the cast is getting togather to film some addtional footage.. Maybe? I don't know how sam will do without the dirt from Gal though.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:05 PM   #11
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm bringing sevearl boxes of Kleenex to the Return of the King. But how could they make it more sad than it was in the book, unless they kill somebody off? And if they do, how will they EVER live it down?<P>I'm holding out hope that they include the Scouring, even if in the extended version, but I am being realistic. I'll be devestated when (if?) they cut Saruman's "You have grown, Halfling..." line. I get shivers down my spine when I read that.<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-17-2002, 10:32 PM   #12
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I cry every time I read the last chapter. It's something about what Gandalf says:<P>Just love it:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Well, hear at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-Earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Makes me cry!<p>[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: -Imrahil- ]
Old 12-18-2002, 08:06 AM   #13
Thingol1000
Animated Skeleton

Thingol1000 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orual,<BR>PJ in no uncertain terms said there will be "NO scouring of the shire"<BR>Sorry. I for one feel he has done extremely well, I'm willing to let him deviate and tweek. Could you only imagine what a true "hollywood" movie would have been like. Now that makes my skin crawl!<BR>Enjoy the visual spectacle, no movie has ever been better then a book, this one included, but it does not diminish the utter enthralment I feel.
Thingol1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 08:08 AM   #14
Thingol1000
Animated Skeleton

Thingol1000 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

P.S. A movie that followed the books stricly would have been ohhhh...~ 22 hours long. I for one would enjoy that but could you imagine PG getting the producers to fork over the $ for that?????
Thingol1000 is offline   Reply With Quote