The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2002, 07:27 PM   #1
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Ring What do non-LotR fans think of TTT?

I am very curious as to what non-LotR fans think of Jackson's TTT. My friend thought that it was boring. Ask your friends, tell me what they think and what stuck out to them in the film.<P>-Luinalatawen
Old 12-22-2002, 07:30 PM   #2
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
1420!

I asked my friend Jessica, who....can't quite grasp the storyline. Shadowfax and gollum "aaaaww! he's kinda cute...in an ugly sorta way."
Old 12-22-2002, 07:39 PM   #3
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

A lot of my friends like it because of all the war and because of legolas. They say stuff like, 'yeah is was so tight, it was all wars and legolas kicked butt...' I could go on forever and I could go on forever saying why I ahte it so much but I won't.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 07:44 PM   #4
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My, ahem elf drooling friends liked the elven archers at helms deep. I didn't ahve the heart to tell them that the elves were never there.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 08:08 PM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I took a friend who had only seen FOTR once (two days before we went to see TTT on Friday), and she enjoyed it very much. I was kind of surprised, the only thing is that she was still confused about many of the charaters
Old 12-22-2002, 08:12 PM   #6
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

I have a friend who went and saw it with me and she's never read the books(though she says she's going to soon).<P>She loved it as far as I can tell. I think she said that she really liked the Ents.
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 08:50 PM   #7
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Loads of my friends from school want to see it. I saw it with two of my closest friends from school, and though they aren't as obsessed as I am, they loved it. <P>My good friend from Tae Kwon Do thinks I'm crazy for seeing TTT so many times and being a fan etc. <P>My other friend from soccer skipped a game or two seeing the movie <P>So, I suppose it depends on the friend...<P><BR>~Aylwen
Old 12-22-2002, 09:09 PM   #8
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

All my friends (so far) loved it, as they did FotR. I still have about 10 to bring to see it so...we'll see if my record holds.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:25 AM   #9
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I have one friend who is a big Star Wars fan but has never read any Tolkien. He loved both LotR films so far, said they were the best films he had ever seen, and really went overboard about how brilliantly made they were. He also said that Faramir was just like his brother (grr!)<BR>My boyfriend has also not read the books, and really liked both films. He got quite confused between all the characters though. He asked where all the elves were going - and that made me realise something: if you didn't see the extended edition, then they never explained about elves leaving Middle Earth! Kind of important really.<P>I have several other friends who went to drool over Orlando Bloom and Viggo Mortenson, and came out loving the films and keen to see the next one. They won't listen when I tell them to read the book though!
Old 12-23-2002, 06:13 AM   #10
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
The Eye

My two non-lotr friends SAW IT A DAY BEFORE ME, and really loved it, but were like, "whatever" when I was ranting on about it. One of them just likes Frodo ("he is sooooo cuuuuuuuuuuute!)
Old 12-23-2002, 08:47 AM   #11
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My friends walked out!
Old 12-23-2002, 01:15 PM   #12
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The only way you couldn't like it is if you went to see it with your mind pre-set; that you wouldn't enjoy it.<P>I've never met anyone who has seen it with an open mind and not enjoyed it.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:21 PM   #13
Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood Send a message via AIM to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Thumbs up

How can anyone walk out on a great movie!? Well anyways, a small goup of friends (including me) went to see TTT on the day it came out and everyone liked, especially my friend who didnt really understand it.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:24 PM   #14
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I was watchin this thing on MTV and you could tell these people weren't real LOTR fans, didn't know any names or anything, but they absolutely loved it! And the critics are liking it. This one guy definetly didn't know much about LOTR saying that the Ents were "just trees" but the still said it was the greatest movie and everything. I believe it is doing well with all types of people!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:30 AM   #15
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Friend 1:<BR>*loooong silence* "I liked it" *smile, confused look, bigger smile*<P>Friend 2:<BR>*loooooooonger silence, shocked look* "It was...good, I guess."<P>I explained to them that it's one of those movies you just have to sleep on.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:14 AM   #16
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My friends loved it. You have to admit that was the greatest beginning to a film ever. After the movie I told them what was different. I got over those changes quick though. My one friend was astounished that the Orcs held a such organized siege. Then he kept calling Eowyn "Rohanna" I'm like its Eowyn!!! Where in the hell do you get Rohanna??

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:48 AM   #17
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You have to admit that was the greatest beginning to a film ever. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It was great, but not the greatest.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 09:30 AM   #18
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My room mate liked better than the first one. And he doesn't know the books at all!
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 09:42 AM   #19
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

Hmmm...I hope my boyfriend goes and sees it. I really am curious to see what he thinks of it.<P>I know he saw the first one and liked it though I wouldn't say he loved it.<P>I also have a friend who I've been trying to get to see the first one still....cause he hasn't even seen that one yet. -_-
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:44 PM   #20
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My friend saw it twice in two days, so I think it's safe to say he loved it. LoL, but he was rather surprised (and, dare I hope, intrigued) by the fact that the tide of the battle at Helm's Deep was not turned by Eomer and his men, but rather by Huorns.<P>Heh, my friend brought her mom (who hasn't read the books), and when the horse's hooves come down on what appears to be on top of Pippin's face, she told her mom that Pippin died! LoL! I would've killed her if she had told me that. Newbies can be fun. <P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-24-2002, 12:59 PM   #21
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
1420!

Newbies are VERY fun! One girl watch the first one with me and was screaming "no! no! NO!" when the wraiths stab the pillows. My other friend had already seen it and we were just grinning at each other. The same thing happened every time some one "died" hehe
Old 12-24-2002, 02:51 PM   #22
Namarie
Pile O'Bones

Namarie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Namarie
Sting

Omg, my mom has a HUGE crush on Aragorn (viggo) and when he fell of that cliff shes like "O my god , does he die"<P>And I said " Yup, he sure dies mom."<P>And she goes "poor arwen" I was like OMG mom,the next movie is called the freaking RETURN OF THE KING. He cant die!
Old 12-24-2002, 03:06 PM   #23
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dűm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually in FotR it says the elves ARE leaving.<P>It's in the scene where Gandalf is talking to Elrond about where the ring will go, then Elrond says something like "my people are leaving these shores."
Old 12-25-2002, 04:52 PM   #24
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Namarie, it seems we both have particularly clever mothers... <BR>I too went to see FotR with my mom (that was my third time), wich was an...umm...interesting experience. When she saw Galadriel for the first time, she asked me: "Is this the same girl whom we saw in the beginning? (talking about Arwen)" I tell you, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. <p>[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: Nenya ]
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 03:57 AM   #25
Arien
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

Frist of all my Mum thought "the first one was better"<P>My friend Vicki thought: "that was amazing".... While I was sitting next to her in the Cinema she started crying when Sam was doing his little talk at the end.....And she said the bit with the wraith and Frodo in Osgiliath was scary. <P>My other friend Teresa, who is a Harry Potter fan,(nuff said).....thought it was good, and even though she dosn't fancy him she thought Legolas was the best...
Old 01-03-2003, 06:47 AM   #26
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> One girl watch the first one with me and was screaming "no! no! NO!" when the wraiths stab the pillows. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>AWESOME!!! It's definitely a good idea to watch movies like these with lots of different people, to get different viewpoints, and to enjoy different aspects of them.<P>Most common non-JRRTfan comment I've heard: "I liked the tree men." *groan*
Old 01-03-2003, 04:24 PM   #27
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

all the snotty cheerleaders and jocks say that tolkien is a freak and that the movies are awful.
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 04:33 PM   #28
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dűm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Hey, not all cheerleaders are snotty. <P>Anyways, yea one of my friends just saw FotR (which is sad) and said it was OK. Gawd I hate to her that, lol.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 06:18 PM   #29
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Ring

Hee hee, that's funny how dramatic some ppl are! And walking out?? What's that all about?
Old 02-12-2003, 06:30 PM   #30
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

My friends came for Legolas, fell asleep, and almost screamed when the battle of Helm's Deep woke them up. That was really funny. Despite the sleeping and the screaming they liked it, though they were really confused and I'm still trying to explain it to them.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:10 PM   #31
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All my friends really liked the movie. My one friend says she'll see it with me again anytime I ever wanna go... She also said that she really wants to read the books, especially since I told her that the movie was very different from the book in some parts and that the book was much better.<P>But, I do know a lot of people who find it really hard to sit through that long of a movie. I must admit, your butt does indeed get a little sore after about two hours!!

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:31 PM   #32
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
One Phrase..."She, who's She and Her?"...OMG how stupid can these people be?!!!!<BR>BTW did anyone else just start crying when Faramir showed up and dragged Hobbits and...Thing...off to Osgiliath!
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote