The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2002, 01:19 PM   #1
Aragorn_Protector
Pile O'Bones

Aragorn_Protector has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Aragorn King of Men

Aragorn, in my oppinion, is the coolest of all the charecters. *shoves legolas aside.* WHat do you think of him? Lets make a really cool thread about his history etc.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:25 PM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

"Coolest" character topics belong on the Novices and Newcomers forum. This thread has been moved there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:07 PM   #3
Marsyas
Animated Skeleton

Marsyas has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think Aragorn is a very important character and I think he definitely ranks among the 'coolest' characters. I have to admit I'm rather partial to Frodo myself [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*~Marsyas~*
Marsyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 03:17 PM   #4
Eleyende

Silmaril

I think Aragorn is a very important part of the fellowship. After Gandalf's fall into darkness he takes over and leads the fellowship. It took alot to do that, but also alot to resist the One Ring. It would have seemed that it would have been a big help to him in his return to the throne of Gondor, but it would have corrupted him. He was wise enough to see this and he resisted. It shows that he had alot of inner strength and character.

Of course, being the elf I am, I am still partial to Legolas...But my mood tends to swing often to Aragorn and Frodo.

*~Eleyende~*

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: Eleyende ]
Old 12-27-2002, 03:20 PM   #5
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Oh yeah, Aragorn is one of my most favorite characters in LOTR and he's certainly the one I drool over in the movies...

*Scratches her head as she tries to figure out why everyone goes NUTS over Legolas* [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2002, 04:53 PM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

mmm... aragorn... is a great guy... more of a Faramir myself
would make a great king, has a great life, lucky guy to look that good at 87, unlucky guy to end up almost dead so many times
Old 12-28-2002, 12:54 PM   #7
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Meela, my thoughts exactly. I'm a Faramir fan too and I think Aragorn does have too many near death experience in TTT. Also, all you people who say Aragorn is better than Legolas should see one of the older movies of LoTR. Aragorn is usually portrayed as a late thirties/early forties stern man, not the younger,kinder, make-girls-wish-they-were-Liv-Tyler Aragorn PJ uses. I'm not saying they make Legolas better, in the 1970's version he looks like Luke Skywalker, but come on people. In the books Legolas is more dreamy and fairer than the ranger (remember he has been a ranger for many a decade which wears out the complexion). But don't get me wrong, VM is is a lot hotter than OB and I like Aragorn (though I was with Sam and not trusting Strider), he is a very noble soul and a good king for Gondor. Here ends my rant.

Anyway, (to actually follow the thread), as it says in the first message, I'm gonna ask a question about the valiant heroes backround. How much a kin is Aragorn to Arwen?
*steps away from the computer and starts reading FoTR (again)* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2002, 02:17 PM   #8
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn was a great character. Viggo made a perfect Aragorn. I don't know about coolest, but he was definitely one of my favorites.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:31 PM   #9
Lasgalenelle

Silmaril

Aragorn need to take a shower. other than that he is pretty cool. My sis once pretended to be him-long story- but we were all dressing up and she got to use a shiny curtain rod for a sword 'cause we couldn't find a better one. that was random.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:30 PM   #10
Ar-Gilien
Animated Skeleton

Ar-Gilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn is Isildur's Heir, and to me, both reading about him, seeing his role played, even in the movie, makes him the single greatest hope of the race of man. It all seems to lie upon his shoulders, whether or not, he accepts the mantle of kingship. Not a burden I'd like to bear, but his strength and courage, I can admire. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2002, 07:19 AM   #11
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Lagalenelle is right. Aragorn really needs to take a shower and good scrubbing, too. Imagine running around in the forest for a month with out taking a bath??

But on the bright side he's pretty cool and he really thinks first before making a decision. And he's quite perfect and lucky for a lot of resons:
* he's isildur's heir
* got an elf for a fiancee ( not just any elf, arwen's got a great family tree)
* a very smart guy
etc. etc.
Well... Aragorn has everything, you know what I mean.
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Finiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 07:26 PM   #12
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Faramir is way cool-in the BOOKS.
Aragorn is way cool- IN THE MOVIE!
Aragorn is the guy you get mad about because Oh-my-gosh-look-at-him-so-hot.....
Faramir I could definitly marry.

Who cares about keyroles.... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

edit: Finil: Imagine running around in the forest and keeping clean... have fun trying!

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 12-29-2002, 08:01 PM   #13
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hmm . . . if you like the guy who plays Aragorn- didn't he make a movie a while ago called Buffalo 66 or something like that?

Anyway . . . I don't know. For me, it's a tie between Eowyn and Pippin. Eowyn because I want to be like her, and Pippin because I am like him. Even though I'm a girl.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:37 AM   #14
Nate

Sting

Aragorn is the best Character, he is absolutely frickin awesome. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 10:31 PM   #15
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Artalwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Artalwen
Sting

I like Aragorn also, he is very cute. Viggo who plays him is very cute also. I think Legolas is cute too, me being(or going to be...i dunno) an elf....heheh.
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun."
-verse from a song found in 'The Hobbit'-
Artalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:03 AM   #16
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Aragorn is one tight character. He's great. I love his flashes from a ranger to a king; when all of a sudden he seems so powerful and great, well, you get the point. But I have to say that I liked him better as a ranger, as Strider. He was just so much better then I think.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 06:30 PM   #17
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Shield

I aboutsolutley love Aragorn!He is defenetly my favorite character. In fact, I'm writing a little story right now about what would happen if my friends and I were in middle earth back then, and Aragorn falls in love with me, and Arwen leaves to go overseas, so it all works out. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Aragorn absolutley rocks! I love him and everyone who loves him!
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:08 PM   #18
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

If we are going by "coolest", I would have to say that Gandalf/Mithrandir is definitely the "coolest" character if you look at who he actually is...
Old 01-02-2003, 10:10 AM   #19
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Yeah... I like Gandalf more than Aragorn. Gandalf's witty (and a bit sarcastic) remarks in the books were cool and funny.
Too bad he became Gandalf the White.
I liked his pointy hat and frizzy grey hair than his new white 'hot oiled' or 'rebonded' hair. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Finiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:31 AM   #20
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

Aragorn is great, although I still prefer legolas but I was just looking over a family tree and....

I presume you know who Luthien is....well any way her child is Dior, Dior's child is Elwig, Elwig has two sons Elrond and Elros. Elrond chooses to be elven. Elros chooses to be mortal. On my family tree there is a dotted line from Elros to Aragorn saying

"Kings of Numenor, Lords of Andunie, Kings of Arnor and chieftains of the Dunedain in direct descent through the second and third ages"

So this means Aragorn is descendent from Elros. And Arwen is descendent from Elrond.

Correct me if Im wrong does this mean in some wierd way Arwen and Aragorn are related??
Old 01-02-2003, 08:32 PM   #21
Lady Of Light
Animated Skeleton

Lady Of Light has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Lady Of Light Send a message via AIM to Lady Of Light
Sting

I love Aragorn. I think Orlando looks terrible in his elf-hair. I love Viggo as Aragorn, and I think his character translates well to the screen. Oddly, I like him better in the movie than the books. He is more of a hero-action-dude-type. In the book you don't get much of a character, more of a cool authority figure. (If you ask me, Ronan's the best... hahahaha. ok. nobody laughed but me... inside joke... restricted to me.)
Old 01-02-2003, 08:35 PM   #22
Lady Of Light
Animated Skeleton

Lady Of Light has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Lady Of Light Send a message via AIM to Lady Of Light
Sting

oh yes... noticing ariens message above... don't worry. They wont have terribly inbred children. Since it was mortals on Aragorn's side of the ol' family tree, many generations passed thinning his elvish blood. That would be freaky if they were cousins though...
Old 01-03-2003, 12:34 AM   #23
Olorins_dumber_brother

Thumbs up

i agree that it would be weird if they were cousins, but even if they were i don't think iw would much matter, we are talking elves here, perfect gene codes and immortalaty, i don't think a little interbreading would hurt them much ( besides their reputations if word got out to the other races [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ) but back to the point, Aragorn. he is a good hero and a great king but as far a fav characters go i have to vote for Gimli, what he lacks in stature he makes up for in addatude. also he can weild that axe like a mad man, in his orc contest with the elf boy he had to get his hands dirty in hand to hand battle while legolas, got most of his with a bow from a hundred yards. sorry if i wandered off point here but dwarvs are better then humans in IMHO
Old 01-05-2003, 04:48 AM   #24
Narmo

Sting

I think that Aragorn was perhaps based on the ideal man. He is long-lived and perseverant ( didn't he track Gollum across the dead marshes, not the nicest place in the world). He is self-controlled and humble. Despite his heritage he goes into 'exile'. He is senstive to others needs (Frodo and sam after moria, and Eowyn in her infatuation-yet still loyal to Arwen) and is courageous and self-sacrificing. He is knowledgable of the world and in the end, even through all the hardships he has undergone he still finds himself able to love. If everyone was more like him, the world would be a better place. Definitely the ideal guy!
Old 01-06-2003, 06:24 PM   #25
arwen baranhir

Sting

amen to lady of light! aragorn IS much cooler in the movies... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 05:32 PM   #26
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn and Arwen are cousins. Although the actual name would look something like Fifth cousins 25 times removed. lol.

Aragorn is the best though. Just read about him in Appendix A of ROTK. And in the rest of the books. I think it is Pippin who says something like "Aragorn is the greatest person ever, maybe tied with Gandalf."
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 05:55 PM   #27
Legolas'Beloved
Pile O'Bones

Legolas'Beloved has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Legolas'Beloved
Silmaril

I noticed Lasgalenelle's comment way back about Aragorn needing to take a shower. But it would be funny if they were all worried about taking showers. I mean, when you're chasing, and being chased by, orcs, trying to save the world from all evil, and you got a pretty girl like Arwen swooning over you even though you haven't taken a shower, who's worried about taking one?! But still, it would be funny to see them all worried. But, Legolas is still hot, with or without a shower. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Legolas'Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 05:56 PM   #28
Legolas'Beloved
Pile O'Bones

Legolas'Beloved has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Legolas'Beloved
Silmaril

I noticed Lasgalenelle's comment way back about Aragorn needing to take a shower. But it would be funny if they were all worried about taking showers. I mean, when you're chasing, and being chased by, orcs, trying to save the world from all evil, and you got a pretty girl like Arwen swooning over you even though you haven't taken a shower, who's worried about taking one?! But still, it would be funny to see them all worried. But, Legolas is still hot, with or without a shower. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Legolas'Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:32 AM   #29
Etharius

Sting

For those of you that "like" VM. Which there seems to be a few of you. Hes also in GI-Jane. Im probably stating the obvious here.