The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-07-2002, 02:05 PM   #1
midgetman
Pile O'Bones

midgetman has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril WOuld you kill gollum

If this has been asked already, sorry! I didn't feel like looking at every single thread before posting this. But would you kill gollum if you could. Assuming you did not know what role he would play in the future?
midgetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 03:41 PM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

There are a lot of threads here about gollum, and you might find them interesting. No, I would not kill gollum.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 10:20 PM   #3
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This belongs in Novices. But to answer your question no I would not kill Gollum.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:48 PM   #4
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Midgetman,

You don't have to search every thread. Just look at the top of this page on the right side where it says "search". Click on search and it will take you to a page where you can type in your terms and hunt through a list that gives thread names. That way, you can see if there are obvious matches.

If something matches, you are welcome to bring the old thread up and post on that.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 12-08-2002, 03:37 PM   #5
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It depends on the circumstances. If it was after he betrayed me or my best friend, yes. If he attacked me, yes. But if I met him on the road, or if like Bilbo I had him totally at my mercy, then no, I would not kill him. Like Meela said, he's too cute. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2002, 04:19 PM   #6
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

No.
I wouldn't kill anything unless it was out of self defence or it was for a greater good.
I don't think I would have even killed him when he betrayed Frodo and Sam becauseI've learned that revenge should be left for God to deal with.

Besides I like Gollum

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 12-08-2002, 04:26 PM   #7
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
1420!

No I wouldn't kill Gollum. I wouldn't kill anything! I believe in Karma too much.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 04:29 PM   #8
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I agree with you people(except for that cute thing *shudders*), I only kill in self defense.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:38 PM   #9
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't like dead things, can't even touch a dead fly without flinching, let alone a dead hobbit *shivers* nope, don't like dead things, unless it's on my dinner plate [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2002, 06:16 AM   #10
HammerTime
Pile O'Bones

HammerTime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I probably would want to kill Gollum, if I knew what he was like, but like dragoneyes I don't like dead things, so I probably couldn't. And then of course he's just so cute! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2002, 09:26 AM   #11
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No! Gollum kicks *** . I would kill Sam though. *Shakes fist* I hate him so much.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:55 PM   #12
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I did say I'd kill if it was for the greater good.

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
Old 12-09-2002, 07:21 PM   #13
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I can't stand Sam. He was nice as a hobbit in the shire, but he had no right to treat gollum like he did. I liked him except for the way he treated gollum. Not everybody loves Sam. I don't think that I would kill Sam, like Inderjit said he would. I'd definately give Sam a good licking (that means @sskicking in case you didn't know). It does hurt maybe for you to hear that people want to kill Sam or that people hate Sam, but I think Inderjit was only joking when he said he'd kill Sam (or he was serious, I don't know). It also hurts to hear that people would kill gollum, and especially out of hatred. Maybe I'd kill him if it was necessary in self-defense or if it was the only way to allow the ring to be destroyed. You said that you would kill gollum only for the greater good, which is the only reason someone should have for killing anyone, gollum and Sam included. But don't be so quick to judge. "Judge not lest ye be judged." Well there you have it.

[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
Old 12-10-2002, 06:33 PM   #14
Aragorn_The_King
Animated Skeleton

Aragorn_The_King has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I Aragorn king of Middle Earth stand by, protecting Sam Gamgee with my life. The best hobbit ever made is my friend and al of His friends too. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2002, 10:18 PM   #15
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Anyways, you said he was the best Hobbit ever made...explain please. I mean we're all entitled to our opinions, but show me your back up and why you think that.

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
Old 12-10-2002, 10:26 PM   #16
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I think that Sam is an excellent Hobbit. Frodo wouldn't have gotten far without him. If Sam hadn't taken the ring when Frodo was presumed dead then the orcs would've taken it when they took Frodo's body. Sam killed Shelob. He stayed with Frodo till the end. Perhaps he was a little harsh on Gollum, but Gollum did end up betraying them after all.
I, myself, would've listened to Gandalf's words, like Frodo, most likely. Plus, I don't think I'd be able to take the life of a wretched creature.

Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 12:42 AM   #17
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Oh come now, come now. Sam was a wonderful lad with a fiery spirit hidden beneath all those hobbity layers. When push came to shove he always won. So I'd think twice before attacking him. Gollum always attacked from behind. That's how cowards play their game. But I still wouldn't kill him unless I had to.

Old 12-11-2002, 02:57 AM   #18
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Sorry, people - wrong forum for roleplaying! This forum is for discussion; if you're looking for action, try joining one of our RPGs. I am editing the above posts to remove all references to killing/fighting fellow forum members.

'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 03:08 AM   #19
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Gollum attacked from behind not because he was a coward, but because he was weaker. It wasn't cowardly but smart and cunning. He was a very sneaky creature. Despite all that torment in his mind from the ring he could still be crafty and cunning like a fox (although he looks more like a weasel). Or maybe it was the ring's influence on him. Anyways, if he had attacked straighton, then it would be useless, and he even might suffer injuries. He was smart, not cowardly, there's a difference between the two.

-Willie
Old 12-11-2002, 10:32 AM   #20
Corky

Sting

I luv Sam! He's so loyal. Frodo wouldn't have lasted w/out him! Gollum is cool...I a weird kinda way *lol* You know what I mean?
Old 01-10-2003, 10:30 PM   #21
Sasha

Sting

I dun tink i would kill him. He's such a sad lil thing [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] And he's like a puppy dog, i would gladly keep him as a pet [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 01:56 PM   #22
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You can't kill Gollum. He's so sad. I think it would probably be an act of kindness to kill him, because life isn't really working out for him. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] But I couldn't do it. He makes me cry. All that has happened is not his fault!
Old 01-11-2003, 02:08 PM   #23
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
All that has happened is not his fault!
You have to admit though, some of it was his fault. I don't like gollum, nomatter what anyone says, he's not cute or nice or lovely, but as I said earlier, I don't like dead things and killing is rather harsh.

Quote:
Gollum attacked from behind not because he was a coward, but because he was weaker
He wasn't that much weaker, he may have believed he was weaker (though I personnaly think he was being sneaky) but he wasn't actually weaker enough to warrant attaking from behind.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:42 PM   #24
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

What I meant was that what happened to him was not his fault. I do not condone his attempted killing of Bilbo and such, but I still feel bad for him. Even after Shelob.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:29 PM   #25
Malamute
Pile O'Bones

Malamute has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's hard to foresay what my actions would have been against Gollum, but pity as its been stated would prolly be my reaction once sustaining an upper hand to his sneak attacks.

Sam is like one of the best and bravest Hobbits around. Always first to defend,loyalty without hesitation, strength of will, and the magic of ignorance all make samwise an intriguing and sustained prescence throught the LotR's trilogy. It's too bad people havent delved into defining the samwise character to themselves in a proper perspective. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 06:34 PM   #26
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I have to post immediately, so please forgive any repeats.

It makes me sad to think that someone would consider such a thing. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Gollum is a truly wretched creature, but had he not accomplished the quest for Frodo, he would have had hope for recovery. The execution of such a pitiful person as Gollum would be (by my standards) outright murder. Perhaps he is rotten to the core, but that does not change his origin. Though his corruption originated in his own greedy and cruel behaviou, the ring both inspired these feelings and kept them going for the durration of Gollum's existence. I'd like you all to think back to the stairs of Cirith Ungol, (just about the most touching point in the book) Gollum was an old tired hobbit once more, he had realized himself. Had only Sam been compassionate from the beginning, who knows what would have come of Gollum? The ring drove him, called him for thousands of miles and hundreds of years, leaving him with nothing but his own bare bones. There are many arguments against what I have just said, and many of them make good sense, but poor Gollum deserved forgiveness, and though he started the path to his own corruption, I believe that in and near the end, the choice was no longer his.

Sobbing Quietly,
Iarwain
Old 01-11-2003, 06:37 PM   #27
Legolas'Beloved
Pile O'Bones

Legolas'Beloved has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Legolas'Beloved
Silmaril

I would not have killed him but I would have been a little suspicious of him like Sam was.
Legolas'Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 07:10 PM   #28
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I just have to say that I agree with all that Iarwain has said. I would say the same, but since she has already, I will second it.
Also, even though I was also quite angry with Sam always putting Gollum down, I still like him. He may be my least favorite hobbit, but he is still very brave and very helpful.

Well, as you can probably tell by my name, I am a fan of Gollum, and to answer the question, No I would not kill Gollum. In fact, I cried when he, well, came to his fate.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: MYyyPreciousSS ]

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 07:24 PM   #29
Eglaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Eglaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

No way!! isnt he the reason why the ring was destroid? (im still in after-shock at this question)
yah.anyways.....wasnt this done already?
Old 01-11-2003, 08:17 PM   #30
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mr. Gollum has a nasty habit of surviving, and probably would prove tough to kill. I was surprised when he let himself be cornered by Faramir's bowmen, very unlike his normal behavior. Also, his 'origin' was that of a nasty hobbit, he was never a good samaritan in any sense of the word, and any leniency was undeserved unless it was on the basis of pity and basic decency. Saruman used to be good (unlike Gollum), but I doubt many on this board would show him the leniency that Gandalf or Frodo did. Why is that?

Oh, and if someone bit MY finger off, well... they better hope we're nowhere near the Cracks of Doom... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 08:25 PM   #31
Luinoth,Heir_of_Rohan

Sting

I'd just kill him when I had the chance................ I dun care if he's gonna help me. I prefer to work alone, not let some skinny under-fed 500-year old hobbit guide me where I need to go.

So if you didn't get my answer from that, then you can get it from this:

I WOULD DEFINATLY KILL GOLLUM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2003, 09:11 PM   #32
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This would be a hard question for me, to kill or not to kill. Yes, Gollum is a mean creature that probably deserves death sometimes, and other times does not. Yes, I would probably kill him. Sam and Frodo would have eventually made it to Mordor without him (it may have took a long time though).
Old 01-11-2003, 09:32 PM   #33
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Quote:
He wasn't that much weaker, he may have believed he was weaker (though I personnaly think he was being sneaky) but he wasn't actually weaker enough to warrant attaking from behind.
He may have had a good chance but my point was that Gollum would not take any unnecessary risks.
Quote:
he was never a good samaritan in any sense of the word
and
Quote:
Saruman used to be good (unlike Gollum)
Ok, I'm getting pretty tired of hearing people say this about Gollum. You can't say that because you don't know if that's true. In "The Hobbit", it said that Gollum used to teach his grandmother to suck eggs. Right there he's being a good samaritan in a sense and he is helping someone, and isn't that good? So please don't say stuff like that if you can't back it up.

-Willie
Old 01-11-2003, 10:43 PM   #34
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Ok, I'm getting pretty tired of hearing people say this about Gollum. You can't say that because you don't know if that's true. In "The Hobbit", it said that Gollum used to teach his grandmother to suck eggs. Right there he's being a good samaritan in a sense and he is helping someone, and isn't that good?
Well, I can't help it if that is the feeling I get from reading about him. Granted, I didn't recall the 'eggs' line, and that does sound like a decent act, but dollars to donuts he would have strangled her for a gold ring.

Quote:
So please don't say stuff like that if you can't back it up.
Besides the killing of Deagol (pre-ring, of course) there are three key lines from FotR:
"..and he used it (the Ring) to find out secrets, and he put his knowledge to crooked and malicious uses. He became sharp-eyed and keen-eared for all that was hurtful. The ring had given him power according to his stature."
That makes it pretty clear to me. And even the great Gandalf himself says with regards to Gollum deserving death: "Deserves it! I daresay he does" Of course his stance favors pity and mercy "...not to strike without need." but he quite clearly feels that Gollum deserves death, and as far as I know there are none more knowledgeable in Smeagol-lore. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:18 PM   #35
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think you misunderstand Gandalf there. I take him to mean that Gollum deserves death through his acts. And, all of his seriously indecent acts occured after his intruduction to the ring, (thats including the Deagol incident). Plus, nobody's perfect no matter how hard they try, everyone has a weakness. It just seems that as the ring has "the power to corrupt" (Gandalf) it seeks to undo the good of the persons who posses it.

Thus, Again I will say that I believe the ring was taking advantage of poor gollum, and it manipulated his curiousity to fit its own desires, causing Gollum's ultimate corruption and love/hate of the ring.

Iarwain
Old 01-12-2003, 12:08 AM   #36
Luinoth,Heir_of_Rohan

Sting

is teaching your grandmother to suck eggs even a good deed? I really don't think that counts.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:48 AM   #37
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Quote:
I didn't recall the 'eggs' line
It's in the cahpter "Riddles in the Dark", where the pareagraph starts out as "But suddenly Gollum remembered..." an the answer to the riddle is eggs.

Quote:
but dollars to donuts
I have no clue what that means
Quote:
he would have strangled her for a gold ring
I can see that happening , [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] as much as I love Gollum. And about the rest, I'm talking about before the ring entered his life.

And, I agree with Iarwain.

Quote:
is teaching your grandmother to suck eggs even a good deed? I really don't think that counts.
What are you talking about? Why doesn't it count. It does count. The fact of the matter is that Gollum wasn't wholly evil before the ring. If he was, then he would never had helped anyone. And why is teaching your grandmother to suck eggs not a good thing? Gollum went out of his way to help someone, and that is good!

-Willie
Old 01-12-2003, 09:43 AM   #38
Luinoth,Heir_of_Rohan

Sting

Yus, he wasn't evil before he got the ring. I know that. But that doesn't change the fact that he's evil now and we have a right to kill him cause he's evil. I still don't credit teaching your grandmother to suck eggs a good deed. I mean, what if somebody sucked and egg's yolk out and then spat it at you(lol). That would NOT be a good deed.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:52 AM   #39
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Just need to clear this up so that I may have my own view on this conversation, but what do you mean by 'sucking eggs'?
Old 01-12-2003, 10:22 AM   #40
Luinoth,Heir_of_Rohan

Sting

basically to suck the insides out of eggs