The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2002, 10:31 AM   #1
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
1420! The First Annual Seattle Barrow-downs Festival

Well, it was just Raefindel and I, but that's a good start.

Obloquoy, you're on the east-side if I recall. Think you can make the Second Annual Festival? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Our apologies to the Barrow-wight: we had my digital camera with us, but were so caught up in the Lord of the Rings, Random Event Generators, real world families, topic and subtopics, we completely forgot to take any photos! Next year's event will be better documented, I promise. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Maril
Old 09-30-2002, 08:27 PM   #2
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Why not have a monthly meeting? then you could get together and take more pictures.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2002, 08:44 PM   #3
Miz Lobelia
Newly Deceased

Miz Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Oh phooey, looks like I joined just a little too late!
Miz Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:20 AM   #4
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Welcome to the Downs, Miz Lobelia!

Don't worry about it, we'll plan another real soon! Annual indeed!

Maril, You are more wonderful in person than you are on the Downs. You'll have to tell me more about Germany next time, if I don't talk your ear off. Have some baked goods handy just in case! If you can't bring yourself to throw them at me you could hope I'll shove them in my mouth and shut up!

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 03:08 PM   #5
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ahh, you lucky folks in the American equivalent of Lindon! [ at least west of the cascades] A cool green country, indeed.

I will try and make it up to one of the meetings oneday as I still have close friends there, a tai-Chi and Tui-na teacher there and an ever present desire to go to Orcas Island [closest place to M-E I have ever been].

please some-one PM me for the next one, incase I don't see the thread here.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 03:45 PM   #6
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

It's too bad we all live so far apart - let's all move to Rivendell, Oklahoma and have a party every week!

Kidding. But it would be cool.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:55 PM   #7
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Yes, a party next time would be fun! I could bake homemade herb bread (with herbs from my garden, of course!) And my homemade chicken soup.

Maril and Lobelia, what are you bringing?
Old 10-01-2002, 10:51 PM   #8
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Thumbs up

'Annual' was just to make it sound official. We can have the next 'annual' festival any time, Miz Lobelia.

Rae, as you are hazardous with the baked goods (lol [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) I'd better make it something worthy of a Laurel and Hardy pie fight. I do make a mean cheesecake. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

That would be Great if we can get our No. CA brethren up here!

Folks, Rae's a sweetie. She's so patient, she could probably carry the weight of the world without noticing - until the chiropractor visit: "Gee, lately I've had this slight shoulder ache, can't imagine why..."

-Maril
Old 10-02-2002, 10:06 AM   #9
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Maril,My husband was afraid I was going to meet a pierced, spiked and probablly purple-haired lady. He asked me what would I do then?

I told him I would have a nice dinner with a pierced, spiked and purple-haired lady; but that Barrow-Downers are too honest to deceive.

Lindil, I have never been to Orcas Island. that's on my agenda of places to go for future anniversaries. Let us know when you've made plans to come and as many of us as can will meet you.

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 10-02-2002, 11:33 AM   #10
lindil

Sting

That is extremely kind of you Raefendil and
I will most certainly post any northward plans.

Perhaps a NW [ N. CA./Oregon and WA]
meeting in Oregon could be planned in the future once our more local chapters become solid.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:32 PM   #11
Miz Lobelia
Newly Deceased

Sting

Glad to hear I am not too late after all!

Raefindel, I am famous for molasses-ginger cookies, so I could bring those, or prehaps buttermilk scones. I grow herbs as well - we will have to compare notes.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:32 AM   #12
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

We'll have to have another before I get a job and Can't come anymore. I think we should meet at the Center House... thoughts?
Old 10-06-2002, 04:42 PM   #13
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That would be interesting to poke my head in if there would be an Oregon gathering, near Corvallis, maybe?
Old 10-07-2002, 04:22 PM   #14
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

A N/W convention would be nice. Especially if you included Idaho.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:50 PM   #15
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

Well, that depends on which part of Idaho.. just kidding. I'm willing to include Alaska to the Phillipines, if anyone from there wants to come! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Maril
Old 10-18-2002, 09:53 AM   #16
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

OK, Maril, Miz Lobelia and any others, would you like to meet anytime soon, an where? And what shall we do?

How about the Center House. That's easy for me to reach, though I'm certainly open to other Ideas.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:41 PM   #17
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Tolkien

Do please excuse my obtuseness. The Center House is..?

-Maril
Old 10-19-2002, 05:22 PM   #18
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

At the Seattle Center; Where the food circus is.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:10 PM   #19
Miz Lobelia
Newly Deceased

Sting

The Center House is fine by me. I do have to work during the day, though.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:10 PM   #20
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

It looks like there are the 3 of us interested. What would you ladies like to do?
Old 11-03-2002, 12:07 PM   #21
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Anyone interested in seeing The Two Towers together? And perhaps dinner at Elephant Castle before or after?
Old 11-03-2002, 05:56 PM   #22
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

What a wonderful idea! Let's do it!

-Maril
Old 11-03-2002, 07:24 PM   #23
Miz Lobelia
Newly Deceased

Sting

Sounds like a good idea to me!
Old 12-04-2002, 07:50 PM   #24
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Question

December is going to be busy. I'm adding to the extra fun by having a surgery , so what do you think of seeing the movie together in early January?
Old 12-06-2002, 12:57 AM   #25
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Yeah....I'm kind of new here (although I feel I've been here for a couple of years because I've been spending all my free time so far on this site) and I was very curious on what you were talking about. An Anual Barrow-Downs Festival? One of you said it wasn't official, so I doubt there is one in SF, altough it would be nice to start one.

*Heres the part where I drill you with questions. Don't answer any if you don't want to.*

So,you've already had one? Was it fun? What did you do? How many people came? 2? Can anybody come? What's the reason if there is one?

You all live in Seattle, you meaning the people that started this festival. If anybody can come, I'd like to possibly go, although I highly doubt I will go. I always wanted to go to seattle because of the rock legends from there: Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Silver Chair, I think. AIC is my favorite band, and I'd like to visit Seattle because of them, and maybe visit Layne Staley's grave, R.I.P.

Anyways, could you tell me about your festival? I'm just curious. Oh yeah, one more. You called this a barrow downs festival? Does that mean that it's about the barrow downs or just named that because of this site? I originally found this site while I was looking for somewhere dedicated to my favorite part of the books- the barrow downs of course so that's why I'm so interested if its about the barrow downs.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 07:16 PM   #26
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Hi Willie,

It was just Me and Maril. We've only met the once. We basically just talked and ate lunch (at the Spaghetti Factory). We talked about everything from family to the BarrowDowns site and fellow Barrow-Downers.

We've been trying to meet again since Miz Lobelia showed interest. We have talked about going to see TTT together and maybe going to dinner (possibly at

Elephant & Castle).

Unfortunately, we have been having trouble getting together, especially since the holidays are drawing near. I don't live in Seattle. I have to come over by Ferry when I'm able to arrange for a sitter. We are always happy to meet other members, but If a man became involved, My husband would most certainly insist on coming with me, And I'm sure the other ladies would probably say the same.

Seattle is a fun city with lots to do.You planning to go to the Experience Music Project? Jimi Hendrix is buried here, too.

Jimi Hendrix

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 12-07-2002, 03:09 AM   #27
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Thanks Raefindel. Your quote

Quote:
but If a man became involved, My husband would most certainly insist on coming with me, And I'm sure the other ladies would probably say the same.
I don't think that your husbands have anything to woory about if I came. I'm only 18, so I don't plan on messing up anybodies lives or anything at all like that. I don't think that I will be able to come at all, but if I did, I wouldn't mind your husbands' presence at all. Actually, I think that it would be good to have a male besides myself. If I (or any other male) decided to come, I think that it would be great, to have at least one of the same sex.

I think that I would like to talk a lot about the barrow downs and the site maybe too. But thanks for the reply. And, I didn't even know that Jimi Hendrix was buried there either. I like Hendrix a lot, and that makes me even want to go there more now. Thanks for the info. Also, I think that you should see SF. Its a great city but people think that its mostley gay people. I'm not sure if you think that it is a gay city, but if anyone thinks it is, then there at least three times as many straights in SF. There are a lot of places to visit in SF, and I'm sure the same goes for Seattle, that's one of the reasons that I want to visit it.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 12:18 PM   #28
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Oh, I lived in California for 13 years and have been to San Francisco at least twice. We took the kids last time. We had a good time.

And I didn't mean to imply that you would try anything with any of us. It's just that it's always been just ladies so far and we girls tend to talk like girls. We'd need a guy to keep some male interest in the comversation. To a guy, I'm about as interesting as a bus schedule. If you decide to come to Seattle, let us know.

My husband is rarely on the Barrow-Downs. His screen name is Greycloak. He works for a television station in Seattle that everyone seems to want to tour, and he loves to give tours. His station is across the street from the Seattle Center where the Experience Music Project (EMP) is located and often meets friends visiting (usually from California, for some reason) to show them the station.

I looked for Curt Corbain's grave, but I can't find it online. I assumed he was burried in Seattle, but I'm probably wrong.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:53 PM   #29
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

BTW, If you are interested in seeing them, Maril and I have both posted our pictures on this thread.Show us your true self
Old 12-07-2002, 02:05 PM   #30
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

Hey there, January's starting to sound good. My boyfriend is taking me to The Two Towers at the Cinerama opening night. He hasn't read the books still, but he's hooked on the battle scenes from the previews. "That's going to be kick-***!" quote/unquote.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Maril
Old 12-07-2002, 10:32 PM   #31
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Sigh. I'd like to see both of you, Rae and Maril, as well as anyone else who might come, but I don't see myself getting out to the Seattle area anytime soon (never been west of Des Moines, if it comes to that). Well, one of these days...(though I'm sure my husband would like to come - not for shielding purposes but because he's rather a Tolkienphile himself).

Maril, I've got a friend who's like that. He hasn't read the books and insists that he doesn't have time to - which may be code for "I don't want to" however he loved the movie (largely for the swordfighting) and is going to be first in line to see TTT. He's been insisting that neither of us tell him ANYTHING, as he wants to be surprised. In a way I'm slightly jealous of him because so much of the story will be absolutely fresh. Imagine not knowing what an Ent is!
Old 12-08-2002, 12:38 PM   #32
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Gee Kalimac, If I had a house I'd even put you up while you stayed, but don't let that stop you! We'd love to meet you! Wouldn't we, Maril! I'm still harboring hopes that Samwise and Joy will come visit me someday. I met Samwise when I went through Petaluma on vacation.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:00 AM   #33
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would probably not want to get involved with anything like this, because I think I am just a little too young (I am only 16). But I just kind of stumbled on to this thread, and I just wanted to say Hi, because I saw that you were all from Washington, and it is nice to see fellow fans which are from places so close to you (I am from Olympia). So hello [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 11:04 PM   #34
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Yes,Gorwingel, We are a dangerous lot! And boring, too! So far we seem to have all ladies interested. Maril is a huge and scary woman... Well maybe to a hobbit anyway, she's an enourmous 90 lbs!

I'm from Port Orchard so we are neighbors. We'd be happy to have you join us if we ever seem to find a date that will work again. I'm still kinda in favor of going to Elephant & Castle , or should we call it "Oliphant & Fortress"

[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 12-31-2002, 12:56 AM   #35
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

This is cool! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Did not know I would get a response so quickly. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Would love to do something with fellow fans, (though I think my parents would get worried and think that I am meeting weird people on the internet, not that you are weird or anything) nice to know that you live so close. I am not new to the Barrow Downs, but I only have been posting a couple of days (I am on winter vacation, so I have had plenty of free time [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] ) Just today I saw TTT at the Cinerama in Seattle, it was great, so I get to Seattle often.

I am glad I stumbled on to this thread [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2002, 12:35 PM   #36
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Your parents fears are understandable. I wouldn't let my kids meet strangers they "met on the internet", either. I have, thus far met only women from the Downs and my husband was very concerned about even that, but everyone has been very nice. If your family wants to join you if ever we meet that is certainly acceptable.

I also saw TTT at the Cinerama. That is an awsome theater! We had a good night for it, considering we had to stand outside for 45 minutes; It didn't rain on us.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:18 PM   #37
Greycloak
Animated Skeleton

Greycloak has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Did you guys give up?
Greycloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:21 PM   #38
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Question

I hope they have not, but this thread has been a little quiet recently.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:38 AM   #39
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

I think people have personal things going on. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not one of the ones who were impressed by the changes PJ made in The Two Towers.

-Maril

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 01-23-2003, 12:42 PM   #40
lindil

Sting

Well, it looks as if Lindil and family are headed up to Seattle for a couple of days at a minimum, maybe a few.

I would love to get together for a bit with any of you that can.

I will be up at least Feb28-Mar 2, hopefully a day or 3 more.