The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Sound of Middle-earth -> reading from LotR

I'm sick of having to learn tens of pages of chemistry stuff word by word, so I took a short break to haunt through the Downs.
As I clicked on the "Powerful Tolkien experiences" thread I immediately noticed a post by Estelyn remembering important Tolkien-related moments for her.

A quote:
Quote:
Oh, and that reminds me of another special reading experience that also was shared and audible, though I was sitting at my computer alone. Back in the early days of my membership here, chatting was very much a part of the fellowship of Downers. I had read about a previous voice chat which involved people reading characters and narration aloud, and we got enough of us together, despite time zone differences (in Germany, England, and the US, Canada too, IIRC), chose passages/chapters that worked for the number of people, and distributed the roles. It was amazing to put on my headphone, open my book, and hear the voices of people I'd never met personally, speaking the words I knew and loved so well. Hearing two Brits, Rimbaud and Squatter, reading the exchange between the two wizards at Orthanc with their great accents, was wonderful and memorable!
Anyone with me on this one? I think it would be wonderful to have current members get together, choose passages, and read them aloud. Now, I for example, have a rather strange accent - could do a good Orc I guess - but others surely sound lovely, and even if not reading myself I would love to just listen.

Esty sums it up very well:
Quote:
I think that we often don't realize how powerful Tolkien's words are when spoken aloud. He wrote with a sense of rhythm and a poetic beauty that comes across strongest when we actually hear the story. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why audio books are so popular nowadays - but wouldn't it be even better to get people together and read to and/or with each other aloud?! I find it very interesting that the powerful experiences people have shared here take place in situations like that!

The tech party is easy, Skype allows conferences with more people for example. So... I guess if there are takers we could get this going! I'm counting on your support!