The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #1081
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The Eye eek

I deserve to be beaten with sticks, or something, but I TOTALLY forgot about PT while I was away... But I'm home now and I can draw it and send it to Agan today (if Hooky is not around at the time when I finish) and I can do my best to make her write her sentence today too, so it shouldn't be a horrible problem...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #1082
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I got your pic Lommy. Let's keep this explosion in a paint factory going!

- Some idiot with a beak = draw
- Thinlómien = write
- Aganzir = draw
- Legate = Write
- A Little Green = draw
- Nogrod = write
- Oddthen = draw
- Beregond = write
- Laurinquë = draw
- Four men to kill = write
- Brinniel = draw
- Rune = write
- Eönwë = draw
- wilwarin538 = write

- Thinlómien = Draw
- Aganzir = write
- Legate = Draw
- A Little Green = write
- Nogrod = draw
- Oddthen = write
- Beregond = draw
- Brinniel = write
- Four men to kill = draw
- Eönwë = write
- Rune = draw
- Laurinquë = write
- wilwarin538 = draw

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 03-18-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #1083
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Hows this coming along? I'm getting anxious .
Old 03-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #1084
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Hows this coming along? I'm getting anxious .
Still waiting for Greenie to pick up. She hasn't read the PM yet apparently. Does anyone know what's happened to her? Moths in the pipes? Shoes on the widow-sill? Rats on the brain? Something along those lines?

What with some annoying stuff going on in my allegedly 'real' life, I had almost forgotten about this nonsense. But lets hope A Little Green isn't a little time waster.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #1085
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Does anyone know what's happened to her?
I ate her.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize she had any outstanding obligations; otherwise I would've held off a day or two.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #1086
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
I ate her.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize she had any outstanding obligations; otherwise I would've held off a day or two.
Well they do say that the green foods are the best for you, so I can understand why you thought it'd be a good idea to do such a thing.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #1087
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm going to California next week and will not have access to internet, so I'm just warning everybody that if I get the call and don't answer promptly, that would be why. I should be back by the 18th of March. Please don't eat me.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #1088
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
I'm going to California next week and will not have access to internet, so I'm just warning everybody that if I get the call and don't answer promptly, that would be why. I should be back by the 18th of March. Please don't eat me.
I'll tell the police to be lenient with their beatings.

Don't worry, there won't be much blood.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #1089
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Brinn's the next victim. I just survived with my life....barely.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #1090
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
This is going fast!

Hurray! Haroo!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #1091
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
That was scary! Thankfully, I survived to pass on the call.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #1092
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Oh, we're ready soon!
Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #1093
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

The Eye

Feel free to take your time with this, Rune. Laurinquë's going to be away until Wednesday at least. So... Yeah. Be as detailed as you like.

This one has definitely not gone in any direction I expected. Craziness.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #1094
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

I got the call. Some big words in there, haha. I should have it done by tomorrow afternoon at the latest, though I may be able to get it done today. I do have lots going on right now but I'll get to it as soon as I possibly can. Don't want to leave you all in suspense too much longer.

Quote:
This one has definitely not gone in any direction I expected. Craziness.
Does it ever??

Last edited by wilwarin538; 03-19-2009 at 07:07 AM.
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #1095
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

I have sent in my call!!! And it's not overly brilliant, but I think it'll do. The important thing is that I can still see the colour blue, only the colour blue mind you, but that's better then nothing!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #1096
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Part One

We descend into the maddening world of paper telephone with this strange picture found carved into a tablet of stone in ancient Mesopotamia. It was clearly a precursor of The Children of Hurin.

Lommy made mince meat of the picture. Then decided to write about it.

Thanks to Smaug and his little brother, King Elessar is having a really bad day

Thanks to Aganzir, there was no turning back. Or something?

Legate ate a leg. Well, what can I say? Puns are scares in these troubled economic times.

When Boromir left for Rivendell to undergo an eye operation, the Glaugung Guys Gruesome Gourmet Gang broke loose.

A Green. A Little Green. Yes. Well, we found this picture in the ruins of her house.

Nogrod was feeling ill. Very ill. In fact, he died. This is what was written on his tomb stone;

"A squared Boromir is trying to reach Rivendell for Elrond to open his eyes but five Glaurung's hatchlings pouring out from boxes have other ideas."
Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #1097
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Part Two

Odd is the oddest thing in oddvill. When this came to pass, the Oddwen appeared in the land. She bore this picture on her face;

Beregond decided it was time he took matters into his own hands. So he killed the king, flooded the Shire and ate a Dwarf. Not sure what he achieved doing this. In his defence he told the court;

"Bombur the Geometric finds the path to Minis Ithil guarded by an army of pre-boxed miniature dragons."

When it came to Laurinquë, Sauron was at her door. He just wanted some spare change, but instead she gave him this;

Formy had four men to kill. So he did. All the police found on the bodies were these words, written in biro across their foreheads.

The Da Vinci hobbit stumbles onto the Lilliputian toyland of Radagast, only to find it already set alight by the dark forces of not-so-distant Minas Morgul.

Brinniel found it all a bit weird. But despite the fact she was in prison for crimes against humanity, she managed to draw this on the inside of her cellmate’s intestines.

For Rune, there was nothing better than a nice cup of tea. But we soon put a stop to that. As he was dragged away, he was heard screaming;

“Radagast briefly re-named Rhosgobel, but the name was so silly that a coalition of Hobbits and Ringwraiths burned it down”
Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #1098
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Part Three

Eönwë found the magical portal to the land of dreams. That’s what I took from this picture anyway…

wilwarin538 beat up wilwarin537 with a massive bat. As they both tumbled off a cliff, locked in mortal combat, they both screamed out;

Frodo, Samwise, and an oddly shaped and graffitied Nazgul, all armed with torches, join forces to set a flame to Radagast the Brown's tree-like greenhouse, in rebellion to the recent name change from Rhosgobel to This.

And thus ended part one!

Lommy started us off again with a picture as strange as her mind…

Aganzir ran for the hills, cackling as the angry mob chased her. She danced and sang as they burned the forest behind her. She later told the King,

“Hobbits and a rock want to burn down a tree that promotes the greenhouse effect.”

Legate was thrown out of his house and made to walk the streets wearing a sandwich board that looked like this;

A Little Green massed an army on the western coast. They grew so massive they exploded, leaving a blood stain that spelled out these words;

Orcs and Hobbits, supervised by Radagast, join forces to destroy a palm tree who looks forward to it.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #1099
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Part Four

Nogrod took up the baton. He was then thrown in prison for theft.

Oddwen was granted eternal life. The special incantation she used went something like;

Radagast the Brown leads a mob of hobbits against a fruity Southern Ent, while a troupe of zombie orcs can't decide which to attack.

Beregond had some ideas above his station. It was a weather station after all…

Brinniel was not used to being fired out of a cannon. But that’s what happened. All she said as she flew was;

Radagast accused Treebeard of raising the dead while the hobbits did battle with an army of zombies

Formendacil was something of an optimist. We soon put a stop to that. In his padded cell he managed to draw this on the walls…

Eönwë took it all very seriously… No, not really. I was just making sure you were still listening. Reading. Thing.

Saruman of Ye Blacke Staffe commandeth ye hobbittes to raise the dead men of Dunharrow while an Ent looks on in disdain
Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #1100
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Part Five, the last one or something...

Rune came next to the gallows. He was hung for the crime of drawing this picture;

Laurinquë forgot what she was supposed to do and so hired a wizard to do it instead. He refused and threw her into the firry vortex of doom. As she fell, she cried;

“The pernicious Radicand the Brown initiates his hideous Hobbit Raising subterfuge with Cauliflower Man and the Quality Oath Breakers Alliance to control the minds of all hobbits in Frogmorton and bend them into doing his evil bidding.”

So, it all came to a head. wilwarin538‘s head, to be precise. When the doctors cracked it open, they found this sewn to her brain;

That was how it ended. As time dances away, another paper telephone is ended. Who will be in the next one? Only Barry knows.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #1101
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quote:
wilwarin538 beat up wilwarin537 with a massive bat. As they both tumbled off a cliff, locked in mortal combat, they both screamed out
hehe....

I really like my cauliflower, I was quite proud of him.

So, that was insane, haha, I quite enjoyed that, it was worth the wait!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #1102
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Bah Legate I would never draw Boromir like that! I imagine him good-looking!

I love Lauri's drawing, as well as Brinn's.
Legate's pic made me crack up. Especially the mountain & the tree.
Nog's tree is super awesome.
Berry's pic is very good, too. The ent has a lovely expression.

Anyway you all did good work. It was rather funny how much this changed from the original picture. Thanks for modding once again, Hookie.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #1103
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Beauteous!

*snerk*
Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #1104
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Awesome!

I must say I wondered how can someone have drawn an "oddly shaped and graffitied Nazgűl" but now I understand. What I can't understand is that I didn't get the obvious Túrin references... *headdesk*

I loved it all. I like all the dragons in the pictures, they're incredibly cute and Legate's, Nogrod's and Beregond's trees are gorgeous too (and wilwa's cauliflower as well ) and so is pretty much everything else (Brinn's and Eönwë's nazgűl!) but what I actually liked the best was Rune's sentence. It was brilliant and it cracked me up totally.

Thanks everybody, and Hookbill of course especially!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #1105
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Hey, that was fun! Aside from the apparent masterpieces art-wise, I find Lommy's graffited Nazgul and wilwa's CM incredibly cuuute Although what I liked really the most was the portrayal of Bombur the Geomethric (but also the square-shaped characters). I just loved Form's picture, though, and Eönwë's consequent sentence ("Saruman of Ye Blacke Staffe commandeth..." ) And I also like Hookbill's original pic a lot.

By the way, when looking at it, I found it interesting that on my picture, Radagast reappeared again (even though he was already not in the text anymore by then).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #1106
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
That was great! Lovely pictures.
Now, I want to play!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #1107
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thumbs up

Wonderful stuff this round - Aganzir's pic had me in stitches, Laurinque's (beardless?) Bombur and Beregond's zombies appearing out of the mist were also standouts.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #1108
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Excellent!

That was a really excellent round. I was particularly impressed with the palm trees and Radagast's (and Rhosgobel's) frequent visits, despite my best efforts to re-christen him Radicand. This game is insane and never ceases to astound me with all the odd interpretations we get. I help with that of course.... it's the best part. Long live Cauliflower man!

Love your picture Beregond. Aganzir too.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 AM   #1109
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
That was fun. It's interesting to see how the telephone developed into the sentence/drawing you were given, and see what it became after answering the call.

Everyone's drawings/sentences were so amusing. I must say Beregond's picture is my favourite. Though I loved Hookbill, Aganzir, and Nogrod's drawings as well. Good work to everyone. It's good to have a laugh and while it was a long wait, it was worth it.

I also noticed that while the drawing is so much more time consuming, it's so much easier to come up with an image than a sentence!
Old 03-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #1110
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
By the way, Nogrod, why is one of the Orcs a Cyclope?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #1111
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hehe, great round!

But wait...where was Alien? Phantom appeared, but no Alien! In a paper telephone?

And did I say Minis Ithil? Must have been the painkillers.

I was surprised with the similarities between Nog's pic and mine: the tree on the right, hobbit weapons, Orcs in the background, and pointing Radagasteses (in fact three drawings in a row feature a pointing Radagand!).

Brilliant Cauliflower, wilwarin.

Way to think outside the box, Rune (raising the dead, indeed)!

Everyone's drawings were ace this round, but I especially liked Agan's, Hookbill's, Lauri's and Oddwen's.

Final thoughts: recurring themes, in this and past rounds, seem to be Radagast, ents, and Nazgul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
By the way, Nogrod, why is one of the Orcs a Cyclope?
Maybe its mum drank from the Morgulduin.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 AM   #1112
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lovely round. When's the next one?
I can't wait. Count me in.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #1113
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Wow, after reading through that again I just understood the Quality Oath-Breakers thing, haha, quite brilliant Rune!

You can count me in to the next round as well!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #1114
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
That was a somewhat brilliant round. Definately one of the funniest ever.

Other than the generally brilliant pieces of artwork, some of the more specific highlights of pictures and sentence for me were Nogrod's tree, Laurinquë's Vitruvian Bombur and Aganzir's, Greenie's and Rune's sentences, but to name a few.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #1115
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I must say that it continues to amaze me how well people draw. . .some of the art work is just brilliant.

I loved Nogrod's drawing and I thought there where plenty of really good writting as well.

I thought Lommy's writting was good. . .It was not the funniest of all, but very fitting.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #1116
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

By, the way, je suis in for the next round.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #1117
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I'm heading for a deadline on coursework, so perhaps someone else could take over modding duties? All the same, here are the people who have signed up so far. I add myself to the list, of course.

TheGreatElvenWarrior
Laurinquë
wilwarin538
Eönwë
Hookbill
Legate
Mnemosyne

Anyone else?

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 03-23-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #1118
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

You could sign me up too But I am not for modding this time.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #1119
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'll give this madness (though not modness!) a try.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #1120
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ahh Paper Telephone.

I shall sign-up; though not for modship.