The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-09-2002, 09:13 PM   #1
Aragorn Husband of Arwen
Animated Skeleton

Aragorn Husband of Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Did the movie (s)...?

<I>You can reanswer this once you've seen TTT. </I><P>Did seeing Fellowship of the Ring renew or bring you to Lord of the Rings? To become a fan, to become "obsessed"?<P>For me seeing Fellowship of the Ring was a awesome experience, I saw it the first time and I was awed. After seeing it 8 times in theaters, my "wonder" of the movie died away, as I got tired of it basically. I had read all the books (the Hobbit, Book of Lost Tales, Simleriaon (sp?) Unfinished Tales etc.) <P>Now that The Two Towers is coming out my excitement is once again coming alive per se. I try to hide it, as I kind of gotten across to my friends that I'm just a casual fan. Unknown to them, I visit the official website often, read a lot here, have read all the books several times.<P>So tell me of your experience(s)!
Old 12-09-2002, 09:53 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, I have not gotten sick of LOTR at all over the past year (though I still have many histories to read). I was introduced anew to LOTR when the movie was releasted last year. Boy am I glad for that!<BR>It is now one of the my favorite things (books, movies, etc.). I have read the whole trilogy once and I have read TTT 3 times! I have also read <I>The Hobbit</I> and <I>The Silmarillion</I><BR>My love for everything Tolkien just keeps growing and it continues even after seeing TTT (which I am waiting on the edge of my seat to see again!).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 10:08 PM   #3
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Ring

The movie first introduced me to the series! I am a lover of good reading (I'd read C.S. Lewis's Narnia series amongst other things) and couldn't believe that I'd never heard of the books. I read the books and was 40 pages away from the end of FotR when we saw the movie. I've been a fan ever since!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 10:32 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

I had been planning on reading the books for a while before the movie came out, but just wsan't getting around to it. I took my time through the "Hobbit"...but as December got closer and closer it forced me to kick my rear into gear, and I read the whole "trilogy" in 6 days, which gave me time to re-read favorite parts and agonize over what was going to be in the movie before it came out. (The laughter of 1950's era fans echoes throughout the forum...) Anyway, I've been hooked ever since, and have read the "Silmarillion", "Unfinished Tales", "Poem and Short Stories", and "Letters" between multiple re-readings and viewings. (And oh yeah, visiting this site).<P>[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]<p>[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 12-09-2002, 11:02 PM   #5
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

I am SO GLAD that I'm not the only person who was inspired to read the books when the movie was released!<P>I wanted to read the books but was intimidated (my reading skills are horrible), but I bit the bullet and read them. I'm now a hard-core fan!
Old 12-09-2002, 11:59 PM   #6
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I was first introduced to LotR when I was about nine (I'm 18 now so its about nine years ago). My mom bought me the animated movie by Ralph Bakshi and Republic pictures. I loved and I think I could have well watched it at least 5 hundred times, and I still watch it today. I wanted to know what happened in the LotR (the movie only covered books I to III and the second half was never made because they ran out of funding I think) so I borrowed the books from a friend of my uncle, and ended up reading the Hobbit first because I was advised to. Some time after that, my mom bought me an animated movie of The Hobbit and another of the RotK. They were really childish so I didn't like them as much. I saw 2 websites about the movie- lotr.com and theonering.net- I forgot about them since it was acouple of years before the movie would come out. When the movie was close to coming out, the books were being mass-produced for sale and I bought them last December.<P>Anyways, the movie gave me a chance to easily buy LotR and the Hobbit and a chance to introduce my friend to it. He really likied it. He's really the only one I talk to about LotR and we don't let our other friends know how much we like it. But I saw the movie in the theaters about ten times and I didn't get sick of it. I stopped counting how many times I saw the DVD after 26 and with the extended, I only saw it 4 times because I didn't want to get sick of it when TTT comes out. I'm currently reading the Hobbit and LotR again for the 7th time. I always read those four books together in order. Sometimes I'll read the Silmarillion, UT, or HOME. I'm currently searching for The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.<P>I don't get sick of any LotR, and if I feel it sort of starting to get old, I back away for a while and then come back to it refreshed. Well, that's my experience. It's a little long so thanks for listening.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:45 PM   #7
Ringfenwen
Pile O'Bones

Ringfenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My family and all my relatives were already die-hard tolkien fans, and i'd read the Hobbit, but hadn't got round to reading lotr yet.<P>When the movie came out I went to c it with them and i instantly fell in love. (particularily with Aragorn....yum ) On the way home all the others spent their time commenting on exactly what had been missed out, and certain things obviously annoyed them. I therefore decided not to read each of the three books until I'd already seen the corresponding movie. That way I wouldn't feel cheated if things were left out. So as yet I haven't actually read lotr, cos even when I started fotr I got as far as the council of Elrond and gave up. <P>So I must tragically admit that I've never actually read lotr.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:54 PM   #8
Ringfenwen
Pile O'Bones

Ringfenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

mind u i did c fotr four times at the cinema, and I own both the normal and extended version on dvd, so I guess I no the film pretty well n e way.<BR>
Old 12-10-2002, 07:14 PM   #9
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I got into LOTR when I was about 6/7. My mum read it to me and I was totally into it. Then I kinda forgot about it but when I heard that the movies were coming out it really got me interested again. Now I'm a huge fan and I've read LOTR about 4 times (on my 5th at the moment). <p>[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]