The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-05-2003, 05:23 PM   #1
nPiLL
Haunting Spirit

nPiLL has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to nPiLL
Sting Accuracy of the Movies

For the two movies that have been released, do you think they accurately follow the book?
nPiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:45 PM   #2
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Of course they don't...They are movies. Good...but not that good.......yeh...

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:57 PM   #3
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Hmmm. Well, I don't know, do they?<P>NO!!! Of course they don't. And just for you, nPill, here's a list of how:<P>-Tom Bombadil<BR>-Frodo's response to the ring, and his previous knowledge (that of Sauron's death)<BR>-The Party (response to Bilbo's speech, and the speech itself)<BR>-Merry and Pippin: turned into theives and unaquinted with Frodo<BR>-Where's Fatty Bolger?<BR>-Planning to meet Gandalf at Bree<BR>-Aragorn not carrying the shards of Narsil<BR>-Aragorn's overall lack of spirit and enthusiasm in taking the crown of Gondor<BR>-Arwen as superelf (replacing Glorfindel, the funky make-out scene in TTT)<BR>-The butchery of the Council of Elrond<BR>-Galadriel's appearance as an evil witch, and the darkness of Lothlorien<BR>-Frodo solving the riddle at the west gate<BR>-the fellowship going <I>down</I> at the split in the Moria road. (Gandalf should have known better)<BR>-Frodo and Gandalf's little talk on the steps in Moria (belonged in Shadow of the Past)<BR>-Faramir's bewitchment<BR>-Theoden possessed<BR>-Entmoot refusing to help<BR>-Frodo offering the ring to a Nazgul at Osgiliath<BR>-The overwhelming length and drama at Helm's Deep<BR>-The lack of Huorns at helms Deep<BR>-The lack of Eomer at Helm's Deep<BR>-The extreme surplus of elves at Helm's Deep<BR>-Elrond's cruel demeanor towards his daughter<BR>-Galadriel saying that the quest will claim Frodo's life<BR>-The fact that the TTT movie cut of about half way through each book<P><BR>I could list things for hours and hours. But I think that's enough now.<P>Iarwain<P>P.S. I'm not saying I could have done better necessarily, so don't criticize me for complaining.<P>P.P.S. Just a guess, but I'm thinking Estelyn is going to close this thread pretty soon.<p>[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 03-05-2003, 05:59 PM   #4
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I remember PJ making a comment on the Extended Version DVD about how they only kept the scenes in there that actually effected the story and how it would end.<P>For instance, the left Tom Bombadil out because, I mean, he's a cool character and all, he just didn't have really anything to do with the plot line. It was just one of those cool coincidences that happened along the way. <P>I'm sure he will stick as close to the books as possible though, as we have seen in the past 2 movies. He's a good and loyal director. He'll make us proud.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 06:22 PM   #5
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think this has been discussed numerous times, but ah well. I have nothing better to do:<P>No, I don't believe the movies followed the books to the letter, but they kept up with the moral quite well, and for that I applaud them. Of course, I still have my reservations and little sore spots where something hasn't sat quite right with me, but on the whole the movies are good.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:18 PM   #6
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Absolutely no. They do not acurately follow the books.<P>Just look at TTT. You can see hw they changed parts in that, and there are some in FotR. But, still, look at the Overall Impressions thread, and many others too; it is obvious that PJ did not acurately follow the book. That is one reason why people don't like him, if you haven't noticed already.<p>[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:31 PM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of course they don't accurately follow the books. Few film adaptations do, and most of those are poorer for it.<P>However, how closely they match the books shouldn't be used as a yardstick for measuring their quality.<P>H.C.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:39 PM   #8
nPiLL
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Iarawain, what do you mean just for you npill? Please tell me what that is supposed to mean. <P>About them dropping this thread, i dont see why they would because it is not a bad thread. In the FAQ it says only things that can be discussed. I think this is definatly something that can be discussed.<P>Back to the LotR. I felt the was very good because if you think about it, if they had included everything in the book i think it would become to boring for non-LotR fans. Many of my friends who wouldnt even think of reading a LotR book liked the movie.<P>I also think the main reason they did not include every scene was because they needed to make a profit off of the movie. If they included everything the non-LotR fans would not be interested and would not go and see it. Therefore, they tried to include as much as they good while trying to keep it both interesting for the non-LotR fans and the LotR fans.<P>Thats just what i thought about it.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:51 PM   #9
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't take offense, nPiLL (I hope I spelled that right... but if not, I'll edit and spell it right that time... EDIT: I called you NPhill! hehe!). The discrepancies between the movie and the book (and the gaping holes that a person can drive a truck through) is a sore subject on this board (and I'm sure elsewhere in Tolkien fandom). Stuff more in-depth can be found on corresponding threads, like the Two Towers official Thread in the Movies section. And it *is* a fabulous idea for a thread... it's just that the topic can fall under other already-established threads. That's why Estelyn might close it.<P>Yet until then, the biggest difference between the TT book and the TT movie is the elf army. Never happened. Period. It would be like saying the Chinese came and helped out America during the Revolutionary War. (If someone can find a better analogy, go right ahead. That's the best I could think of)<P>-'Vana<p>[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: DaughterofVana ]

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:00 PM   #10
Iarwain

Boots

Don't worry, nPill, I wasn't trying to be rude or poke fun or anything. This is not a bad thread at all, it's just been discussed before, and countless threads are already open in which this same discussion could easily take place. I'm not criticizing you or anything .<P>Iarwain<P>P.S. Not better than your analogy, Vana, but It would be like Switzerland sending troops to Japan during WWII<p>[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 03-05-2003, 09:22 PM   #11
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

FARAMIR!!!<BR>Sorry but I think there's only one other forum I have vented my anger. But I'm still a going to see the movie again and again and again. I accept most of the changes now and I'm not angry at you nPiLL just you did ask about the differences. Faramir is an obvious one. Faramir is the best man around apart from Aragorn. It's like Robin Hood being told with him stealing from the poor and giving to the rich.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:36 PM   #12
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No they are not accurate! If you've read the books you realize this without asking. If you wanted them to be accurate, then they are dissapointing! If you did not expect accuracy, then you might like them. It's a matter of individual taste. I just hope each and every person who has seen the movies and enjoyed them, makes a point to read the books!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 05:11 AM   #13
nPiLL
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Ok Iarwain, its cool. When i thought of making this thread i did check into some other threads to see if it had previously been posted and so either i just missed it, or didnt look enough.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:13 AM   #14
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i thought the movies were ok, but i hadnt read the books before. if i had, i may have complained. but actually, im glad they left out tom bombadil. he scares me
Old 03-06-2003, 08:30 AM   #15
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I also think the main reason they did not include every scene was because they needed to make a profit off of the movie. If they included everything the non-LotR fans would not be interested and would not go and see it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That, and if they had included everything in the books, you'd wind up with a ten-hour-long movie, which would put a strain on how many times it can be viewed in theaters (once a day? I think not), which would cut into your box-office bucks (unless you charged over $25 per ticket, in which case the movie would never see the light of day). If you don't make money at the box office, you're not going to pay for the film, and that's going to hurt your company, who will then promptly have you murdered (I'm kidding on that last part). So I think it's best that they cut it down to a minimum of three hours.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 12:36 PM   #16
nPiLL
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Yes, good way to put it. I heard some people who live near me saying that three hours was even long lol. I thought it was a resonable length of time.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:27 PM   #17
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

I really am sorry, but I am kind of glad Peter left all that hobbit stuff out of the movie, like Bombadill and the old forest, because that stuff, although pretty good, bored me out of my mind when I read it. I think it was best left out, you know, to keep holding the attention of the viewer. If Peter had left it in people probably would have been a little bored, and might not have been riveted to the screen like they were. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen for the entire movie!
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 03:36 PM   #18
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh my! Dunadan aragorn, how different we are! That part (Crickhollow, the Old Forest, Bombadill and Goldberry, the Barrow Downs) is my favorite! Worthy of it's own movie (IMO) I find all those battles boring.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:25 PM   #19
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, the adaptations could be worse. Anybody remember David Lynch's Dune. But, even if they don't follow the book strictly, they are probably the best adaptation possible. Hey, they don't follow the book completly, but they are the best movies I've ever seen.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:48 PM   #20
Iarwain

Boots

I think it says something about the accuracy of TTT, when it isn't even nominated for the Oscar for best adapted screenplay. It's quite incredible, considering they adapted one of the most popular novels of the century.<P>Iarwain
Old 03-06-2003, 07:22 PM   #21
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Come on, there just can't be enough Movie-rant threads! (As long as everyone behaves, of course.) <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> -Merry and Pippin: turned into theives and unaquinted with Frodo<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Just for the sake of nit-picking: Merry and Pippin certianly were aquianted with Frodo in the film, there just wasn't that great bit where they move him to the new house and everything. Man, I have to read Fellowship again--and I just finished RotK!<P>I eventually accepted the innacuracies in Fellowship, but it's going to be harder to forgive those in Two Towers. And there are a few scenes that are just BAD, and not because they aren't accurate, but because they don't work, even if you've never read the book, I'm sure. That's what is really going to annoy me long after I've accepted all the changes...
Old 03-06-2003, 08:25 PM   #22
nPiLL
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I still have to read RotK!