The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Google map of Middle-earth

http://www.arda-online.com/map/

Not much yet, but could be interesting in a few months time....

I realise its probably been linked to already, but I couldn't find it
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Absolutely lovely!!!!

Thanks, davem

~*~ Pio
Old 05-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A good find, Mr Dave.

I like the fact that it starts up right next to The Downs. I also really like the rendering the Downs has got. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the map plays out. Will there be Movie versions of Rivendell and Lorien? Or new versions or... erm... Biscuit versions?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Of course, its for the on-line game so its full of stuff which isn't in the books - at the extreme zoom position you can make out a couple of same sex marriages for instance - but I still think its great. When Rivendell, Minas Tirith & Barad Dur pop up it should be a fantastic way to waste a few hours...
Old 05-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Thumbs up

That's from the MMORPG, right? Funny how the Shire can be seen only from close by.

Waiting eagerly to have more maps.

EDIT: Xd with davem.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
For a long time now I have fought the urge to buy WoW as I have seen how it can make peoble forget about work and University, but if this is a good game I am not sure I can do the same. . .

So is it any good?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Of course, its for the on-line game so its full of stuff which isn't in the books - at the extreme zoom position you can make out a couple of same sex marriages for instance - but I still think its great. When Rivendell, Minas Tirith & Barad Dur pop up it should be a fantastic way to waste a few hours...
I ws quite disappointed when this turned out to be untrue!

If it's full of stuff not in the books then I suppose it might have a winged Balrog somewhere, eh?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

It's beee-ooo-tiii-fuuul!

But is it me, or are the Old Forest and the Barrow Downs tiny in comparison to the City of Bree?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Actually, scrub that. I just looked again and both have grown since I last took a peek.

I could spend hours wandering round that map, even the small section that has been completed thus far.

Anyone know what the little golf flags are all about?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It does seem disproportionate compared to say the Strachey maps which I use normally. I am no geographer/ cartographer but maybe it is because it is Bree Hill. I believe some map projections take the greater surface area of hills/mountains into account.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Its expanding quite fast - Weathertop & the Last Bridge are on & they weren't when I posted the link originally. At this rate Rivendell should be on there in the next few days. Hopefully at some point the designers will make it possible to remove the game additions so we can have a purely Tolkien map. There is the option on 'Maps' to choose Tolkien's original map.

I'm hoping eventually for something like Google Earth's 3D effect for landscape & buildings...
Old 05-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
. Hopefully at some point the designers will make it possible to remove the game additions so we can have a purely Tolkien map. There is the option on 'Maps' to choose Tolkien's original map.

So that is what the Windview Estate is - I did wonder .

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #13
Calan
Pile O'Bones

Calan has just left Hobbiton.
Well, the 'Tolkien Map' option is active - it's the map from the book, slightly colourized. I think I would have liked a slight parchment color to the land areas, but that's just a cosmetic thing.
Calan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Well, Rivendell is now on there - but it only shows up on the highest magnification, so you'll have to zoom right in & head east....
Old 07-01-2007, 05:09 AM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Well, Rivendell is now on there - but it only shows up on the highest magnification, so you'll have to zoom right in & head east....
Just make sure you don't take 110 days to do so and lose your horse....errr....mouse in Tharbad.