The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-03-2003, 08:16 PM   #1
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe The Hobbit

How come nobody talks about the animated hobbit? i think its a rad movie!! also do you think that PJ will make a real version of the hobbit? i think it would be cool!!
Old 02-04-2003, 07:56 AM   #2
Elladan Peredhil
Animated Skeleton

Elladan Peredhil has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I'm by no means an expert here (having only just joined myself) but my guess would be that the reason we don't talk much about The Hobbit here is because of PJ having made LotR so recently -- with so many people having watched the movies, it's drawing a new following to Tolkien's works. Unfortunately (IMHO anyway) some of the people on here seem to be more interested in the recent movies than in the original works themselves.<P>With regard to the animated version of the Hobbit, I can't claim to have watched it, although I probably will now if someone highly recommends it. I did watch the animated version of LotR and was sorely disappointed -- they seemed to cut out so much of the text -- but perhaps this is not a problem in The Hobbit..<P>I'm not sure if PJ will be making The Hobbit or not -- I have heard people saying that they wish he would, but I've seen interviews in which he claims to want a break from the fantastical world of Middle Earth once he's finished refilming parts of RotK later this year. I fear only time will tell if such a movie is made by PJ.
Elladan Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:34 AM   #3
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah - but New Line Cinema have the rights to "The Hobbit" now, so maybe... Perhaps with another director.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 10:19 AM   #4
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Heehee, I like the animated Hobbit, it's a fun movie! I like Smaug the best . But, yes, I've wondered why nobody has mentioned that movie, it's very cute. I thought it was done pretty well, though I seriously couldn't picture orcs/goblins singing that song. Oh well, it's still good!!<P>~*~Sapphire~*~
Old 02-04-2003, 10:26 AM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've never seen the animated Hobbit or RoTK, but the <A HREF="http://www.patriotresource.com/lotr/animated/page1.html" TARGET=_blank>cover art</A> scares the hell out of me. <P>I should try and find it because my kids may enjoy it. Adapting the story of The Hobbit would be far easier then LoTR as the story is far more linear with a clearly defined central character in Bilbo. I think the main problem would be what feel you would want the movie to have. Do you make it whimsical and light, which is more in the flavour of the book, or do you make it grittier and real like the Jackson films? Neither is entirely satisfactory.<P>H.C.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:49 AM   #6
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Yeah - but New Line Cinema have the rights to "The Hobbit" now, so maybe... Perhaps with another director <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They have the production rights, but not the distribution rights. A sticky point.<P>The Hobbit cartoon was ok when I was a kid 20 years ago. But I watched it again last year and could not get half-way through it. It's pretty BAD, though occasional songs, individual scenes, and some still shots are neat. Don't buy it - RENT it!
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To capture the book, as PJ has tried to do with the movies of LOTR, I would go for the whimsical and light approach as the book of The Hobbit did. LOTR is gritty and darker than The Hobbit, so the movies were made that way. I think a film adaptation of The Hobbit should follow suit.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 04:26 PM   #8
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The animated hobbit.. sigh<BR>Huston as Gandalf was a cool choice but - <BR>the thing wasnt that good back in the seventies - whew - way too cutsie cutsie
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 04:41 PM   #9
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

As a matter of fact, I just watched the cartoon The Hobbit Sunday night. It was cute. I watched it twice actually. It was a little drab. I don't know how to explain it. I don't really like how they did the forest elves. They didn't look very elegant, how I picture my elves. But all the songs were cute. I liked them. And Elrond was cool.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:26 PM   #10
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Finally some talk about the animated movies! The animated RotK and Hobbit are really meant for kids to watch. I like the animated LotR by Ralph Bakshi. I have LotR and the Hobbit on VHS, but they're old. HC, I reccomend that you have your kids watch them, and whay you can do is buy the 3 pack DVD set. I think they sell them at Best Buy. If they're like 6 or 7 or younger they'll probably enjoy it, if they're older, they might not enjoy them that much, exceppt for teh LotR, that's not really intended for kids like the other ones are. I still watch LotR to this day, I love it that much.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I like Smaug the best <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hehe, he's funny. He looks like a cat (his face). Where there's a whip, there's a way? Is that the song? It's pretty funny.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I don't really like how they did the forest elves. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me either. The king looks like he's a whimp because he's so bony.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:34 PM   #11
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I begged my Dad for the animated Hobbit when I saw it. I was about seven I think. I had already herd the book from my Mom, and I thought the movie was the neatest thing ever. (Still do!) However, it does have some major flaws in my eyes.<P>One: The elves. Too skinny, and they were <B>blue</B>!<P>Nothing else though... And Smaug was <B>awesome</B>! (So were the dwarves.) And Beorn! As I said, I stil love it a lot. I am really hoping P.J. do a live action though. Cross your fingers! <P>Suilad,<P>~Eruanne
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:40 PM   #12
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I saw the animated Hobbit on TV when I was a kid and I found the hobbits so repugnant that I was unable to read the book for the next five years or so. The movie ruined it for me. Luckily, I read LotR before seeing the animated movies, so my perceptions weren't colored by someone else's vision. I seem to recall the orcs in FotR looked something like green versions of the sand people from Star Wars. Am I remembering correctly? o_O;;<P>-Lily
Old 02-04-2003, 11:19 PM   #13
balrogman
Wight

The Eye

I knew I wasnt the only one who liked the animated movies! I havent seen RotK but ive seen parts of FotR and seen all of The Hobbit about 20 times though it has been a while... is it just me, or was Beorn not in the movie? He was my fave character cause he was a bear!!! I also liked the songs especially the dwarf one at the start <BR>*<I>Break the dishes, Crack the plates, Thats what Bilbo Baggins hates....</I>*<BR>But Thorin almost seems too mean to Bilbo, and the wood-elves look nothing like Legolas in LotR(he is the elf-king's son!)<P>Later<BR>Bally
Old 02-05-2003, 12:35 PM   #14
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I'm glad to hear others say they like the Bakshi film. It was very ambitious and certainly fell short of the mark, but considering the contraints he was put under, I enjoyed it.<P>My kids are 6 and 10 and working through the Hobbit now, so I won't show it to them until they finish the book (don't want to spoil anything). They are both addicted to Jackson's films (especially the ten year old) and I think they'll be disappointed with either animated film of LoTR. Besides, I don't want to spoil them for Jackson's Return of the King next year.<P>Thanks for the words on The Hobbit though. I'll definately look for it.<P>H.C.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:39 AM   #15
Aragorn_the_Ranger
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn_the_Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Check out 'My "The Hobbit" Script' in the downs for a fellow Barrow Downer's view of the movie
Aragorn_the_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:21 PM   #16
Calliope and Linus S. Underhill.
Pile O'Bones

Calliope and Linus S. Underhill. has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I have never seen the animated Hobbit, but I did watch the overly-done version of Return of the King. Well, the first half-hour of it. Wooooooah. I think I was cast into another dimension with that thing. lol. I still get that "Frodo that 9-fingered" song stuck in my head occasionaly.<P>The animated version of the LORD-TTT was closer to the book, but it was very boring, and no Tom Bombadil. Oh well. I'm going to buy all of the animated versions some time.<P>However, I did get the term "festering malevolence" from ROTK. Hee hee. It took me a while to figure out what it meant though.<p>[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: Calliope and Linus S. Underhill. ]
Old 02-10-2003, 12:56 PM   #17
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I vaguely remember watching the Hobbit when I was kid, so last year I rented the movie. It’s a great movie, in my opinion, and it seemed to follow the book more than any other Tolkien related film I seen to date. True it was obviously aimed at children, but then again, so was the book. On the down side, the wood elves were a bit too ugly for me, and the goblins weren’t ugly enough, and the 70ish music was horrid. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of the Last Unicorn, and it is obvious that the two films come from the same tradition.<P>I disagree about the hobbits, though. I thought the animators did a good job portraying hobbits, and for that matter, dwarves.<P>The Bakshi film… I wish he had never gotten a hold of the rights. Like all his films, that one was simply way too surreal, kind of like an acid trip in Middle-Earth.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:00 PM   #18
Naldoriathil
Haunting Spirit

Naldoriathil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

If you go on <A HREF="http://www.tbhl.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tbhl.com</A> (PJ's official website) then there are links saying that after he's done what he wants to do next, an arty film I believe, he will consider doing The Hobbit. I will look forward to it!. Wonder how he would do Beorn though?
Old 02-10-2003, 01:52 PM   #19
Vorrothiel
Pile O'Bones

Vorrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think it would have been fun if they made a film out of the Hobbit. But I think I've heard that PJ just don't want to make more Tolkien. This was the first and last time making LOTR. Maybe that's for the better???<BR>I think so... (eventhough it would have been fun) <p>[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: Vorrothiel ]
Vorrothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 01:56 PM   #20
Vorrothiel
Pile O'Bones

Vorrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry, Naldoriathil. :-) I didn't read your post before I posted mine... Sounds interesting!!! <P>
Vorrothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:40 PM   #21
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The Hobbit cartoon was a great movie. I love the way they portrayed Gollum in it. That was the perfect Gollum voice. Haven't heard anything about PJ maybe making The Hobbit into a movie, but if he did, I'd love to see it!
Old 02-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #22
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I still can't read Gandalf (or any other wizardly old man or prophet) without lapsing into a John Huston impersonation. (See my signature for a link to several RealAudio clips where I read from Tolkien's works.)<P>Beorn was NOT in the animated version, but I think they did draw him in their planning. He must have been dropped, for there is a Beorn drawing in the Rankin-Bass illustrated book.<P>I did NOT like RotF by Rankin-Bass. I did like the Bakshi animation of LOTR, but it had many flaws, especially being unfinished.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:32 PM   #23
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I haven't seen the animated movie, but I do think there should be a PJ version.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:05 PM   #24
balrogman
Wight

Pipe

Ive heard from a couple places that New Line has the rights to The Hobbit, but they say that if PJ doesnt want to make it, they will probably find another director. Im hopin they do a Silmarillion vid too but they would most likely have to split it up into many movies, it being such a long book.<P>Bally <p>[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: balrogman ]
Old 02-14-2003, 10:02 AM   #25
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

According to what I'm now reading, PJ's original intent was to do The Hobbit and it was Richard Taylor that convinced him to shoot for Lord of the Rings.<P>H.C.