The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #201
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
I'd love to check what's between Roa and Nog,
Now I'm really curious, what exactly are you talking about?

Edit: crossed with Greenie

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #202
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Would it make you feel better if Nogrod and I had a big back and forth like the one SPM got into yesterDay? How exactly would it help the village? And can I at least wait until he's finished his dinner?

Old 11-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #203
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Belly full then...

To quickly answer the other questions before delving into some actual work with this.

Why nor vote for Greenie as NwwrD1 doesn't clearly discard of her (like it does with Spm and Roa - making up the three I suspected yesterDay)?

Combine the facts that:
a) I tend to suspect her basically everytime and it made me waver if my suspicion (and the things I looked as suspicious with her posts & things with Spm) was merely feeling-based and not reasonable enough.
b) Her "retaliatory-vote" (vote someone who suspects you) felt so bad that it could have been just a "feel-bad" -factor of being voted for in that way.

Then you have my nausea in asking myself do I really vote right if I vote her - or do I do any good if I press for lynching her?

Spm, if you think I'm a wolf and base your view into my voting "the safe way", wouldn't I have been a lot safer voting for Greenie in the end? That would have been streamlined and argued for, and would have passed your scrutiny (looking at how you analyse the votes for being "good" or "bad"). And I think that with Greenie it would have been clear she would not have been lynched as I seemed to be basically the only one actually suspecting her, so safe indeed.

So applying the NwwrD1 and it's amendments (+case Greenie) I turned into the "quiet department".

Why of the rest McCaber then?

My posts in the end of Day1 (#124 & #127) should answer that question but let's make it in shorthand here as well...

With those who do not post anything "substantial" (however one defines it) one is forced to move with feelings and hunches as one can't make arguments from nothing.

Of those not bringing themselves forwards Lari and Lottie felt to me at the time like either non-interested ordos or people with RL hindrances.

Sally looked weird and suspiciously self-conscious - but also like Sally does usually. So a fifty-fifty feeling there.

McCaber was the one who looked calculated. He posted once and what he said was that he thought myself and Fea made sense / a good job. The wolves do not wish to have enemies, they wish to rub people the right way to make those others feel comfy (and I've been rubbed the right way a bit too many times by wolves to become suspicious of it everytime I see it). So both laying low and only letting out positive things... The result: no one thinks he should be lynched. Which was indeed the case - and seems to be at present as well. Ditto.

I hope that is enough. I'd rather do something else the rest of the time I have here toDay...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #204
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
Heeeeeeeeeeey actually I got an idea. Nog and Roa together?
The stuff of nightmares!

More seriously: SpM has a point about the wolves spreading their votes, which would speak against sally and Lari both being wolves, and the same (with reduced improbability, as there were more votes for Morsul to hide in) for Lottie and Fea.
As for Lottie, I've misjudged her before because she sometimes presents her points a little sketchily and wouldn't like to make that mistake again - she may have had better reasons for her vote than she committed to the keyboard, or maybe not. But I think both sally and Lari could do with some pressure toDay, and it would also be nice to hear some reasoned prose from Fea.
On the other hand there's still a possibility that SpM may be the cobbler trying to deflect suspicion from the bandwagoners.

More after supper.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #205
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
it would also be nice to hear some reasoned prose from Fea.
While I'd love to post with reason
Having facts writ' down in prose
You must know it would be treason
If at the mods I thumbed my nose.
'Tis a Poe game and he rhymes,
Meaning proper imitation
Needs abundance of fell crimes
Or a rhythmic repitition.
That is not to say I'm evil
And am hiding in my verses.
Who would think me as the devil,
One who kills, and rends, and curses?
Lo! It's not that I don't want to give my thoughts away.
Frankly, I'm constrained by form for what I can say.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #206
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Would it make you feel better if Nogrod and I had a big back and forth like the one SPM got into yesterDay? How exactly would it help the village? And can I at least wait until he's finished his dinner?
It wouldn't make me feel better nor help the village. That I got this idea that the two of you might be wolves together has nothing to do with wanting you to be wolves together. I'd be an idiot to want that (unless I was your fellow, of course)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggerz
Her "retaliatory-vote" (vote someone who suspects you) felt so bad that it could have been just a "feel-bad" -factor of being voted for in that way.
So the retaliatory move you talked about earlier meant a retaliatory vote? Ah. It's true that in practise my vote was a retaliatory vote. In theory it wasn't, though, since I didn't vote for you because you suspected me, but for other reasons. Those reasons I think I have stated quite a many times.

Fact is, I want to go to sleep but I need to vote first. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

EDIT: x-ed with Fea
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #207
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Nogrod's werewolf-rule for Day1
etc

Yes, Noggie, I fully understand and all that. But it does give you a good excuse to place a reasonably safe Day 1 vote. At the very least, you are somewhat absolving yourself of responsibility for the Day 1 lynch as it is generally pretty unlikely that your pick will end up being lynched. And I am still not sure that your reasons for picking McCaber stand up to full scrutiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife
Nice thought, but obviously Pitchwolf would have had ample time to do so at Night, so why in the open Daylight?
Well, this Pitchwolf feller might have wanted to get the Bear lynched in order to avoid the risk of him targetting a Wolf at Night. But I agree that it is not the strongest of points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Would it make you feel better if Nogrod and I had a big back and forth like the one SPM got into yesterDay?
Ooh, yes please. But can you wait while I get a big tub of popcorn ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife
But I think both sally and Lari could do with some pressure toDay, and it would also be nice to hear some reasoned prose from Fea.
I agree, and I would particularly like to hear more from Lari and sally toDay, as I am currently leaning towards voting for one of them.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #208
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'm debating between voting Nog (I fear I'm sticking too much to a Day 1 suspicion which is never wise) and voting some submarine, ie. McCaber, Sally, Lari or Loslote. Wish I'd had more time to look at people, there are so many I have no idea about! ToMorrow, though, will be a great deal better for me (in case I'm still alive).

I wonder if Fea is the cobbler. Then again, it would seem too obvious. And then again, I wouldn't put it past Fea.

EDIT: x-ed with Sauce
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 11-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #209
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Post 1- Nonsense post, presumably to tell us he wouldn't be around

Post 2- Will be around, but probably won't make it till dead-line. Says the were-bears best strategy is to kill off the wolves, says it serves the bear no benefit to work with the wolves, suggests that we set the wolves and the bear against each other.

Post 3- response to Pitch, explains again how the bear and the wolves will want to knock each other off, joins the chorus in admonishing Hakon.

(Overall, this may have been an attempt to later convince the village to let him live.)

Post 4- General analysis and response to first 55 posts:
First few posts are Junk, believes Mith started the first poster theory, finds Sauce's reserve "a-typical."

(SPM seems to have conveniently missed that when he reviewed Boromir's posts. But that's very slight.)

Slight suspicion of Inzil due to questioning about first poster theory, but it's very slight.

(Slight enough, I think, that it probably doesn't point to Inzil.)

Is most suspicious of Sally

(I think that this actually would point away from Sally, as it would be really obvious.)

Overall, thinks Sauce is innocent in the whole FW confusion

(While it's possible that a wolf SPM may have targeted Boro to point away from himself, I find this unlikely, as it seems you'd want to keep people who think you're innocent around.)

Doesn't understand the suspicion against Roa

(Thankyou. But seriously, if I draw a conclusion from this it would be silly.)

Finds Morsul the most suspicious in the FW discussion.

(Well we know how that turned out)

Post 5- response to Roa, insists the bear and the wolves are enemies

Post 6- response to Morsul: "Fair enough"

Post 7- response to Nogrod: says it's good to state the obvious

Post 8- clarification about Sally suspicion, not bothered by Pitch's vote, finds Morsul the most suspicious, bad feeling about Nogrod

(This seems to point to Nogrod, and away from Greenie. But with Greenie's insistence on lynch Nogrod, I have to wonder if it was planned that way.)

Post 9- read and comment:

Wilwa is ok.

(Pretty neutral in how this regards wilwa.)

Disagrees with Nog about Sauce being the Cobbler

(This doesn't say anything about Nog, really, though it points away from SPM. And again, that may have been the idea, but I find it unlikely.)

McCaber greyed out part of his post

(This niether points to or away from McCaber)

Changes his mind on Nog's suspicion of Greenie, now finds Greenie suspicious.

(So scratch what I said earlier. Now I wonder if Greenie and Nogrod are wolves together planning on using their usual tit-for-tat as a cover, and if one of them gets lynched, it makes the other look better.)

Post 10- Decides not to comment on Hakon since it's been commented on to death. Addresses SPM vs Roa:

Thinks SPM may be over-reacting when he accuses Roa and Nog of being agressive, Thinks SPM may not have been over-reacting to the rest- points out that it's Roa's style to push people hard

(Again, I really can't draw conclusions that anyone else would find credible here.)

Response to Nog- Doesn't think SPM was trying to buddy up to him

(Aside from disagreeing, this is a fairly neutral statement, so it doesn't point one way or the other.)

Post 11- points out Morsul's insistence on the statistical odds of SPM being a wolf.

Post 12- Explains Nogrod's vote for McCaber, but doesn't understand why he didn't vote for Greenie

(Again, this could point to either Nogrod or Greenie, and possibly both, in my opinion.)

Post 13- Considers voting Lari, but votes Morsul instead.

(This is really the only thing that points to Lari, and I'm not sure it's enough. Of the two Hakon voters, Sally seems to obvious, but that could be the idea. )

In general, I find Nogrod and Greenie the most suspicious based solely on this.

Edit: Crossed with a host

Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #210
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
'Tis a Poe game and he rhymes,
Meaning proper imitation
Needs abundance of fell crimes
Or a rhythmic repitition.
Ah, but Poe was a master of both poetry and prose, and capable of lucid argumentation as well (see Heureka, for example). Not that it's easy for a single person to emulate his accomplishment in all genres, of course...
Old 11-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #211
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Not that it's easy for a single person to emulate his accomplishment in all genres, of course...
Oh snap! I accept your challenge.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #212
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It's not cute anymore, Fea. Nor is it helpful.

Fea is probably either the cobbler, or a wolf pretending to be the cobbler.

edit: crossed with pitch and Fea. Good, hopefully we'll get some sense out of you now.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #213
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oh, and that was an analysis of Bearomir's posts. Sorry.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #214
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife View Post
It's not cute anymore, Fea. Nor is it helpful.
Of course it's cute!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #215
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

++ Sally

I said in my previous post why I don't want to vote Nog toDay. I want to go for a submarine. I ended up on Sally because she is maybe the most evil-looking of the submarines. Decide wisely, I'm off to bed.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #216
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I don't know if I like Greenie's vote for Sally. She's been on Nogrod for a while, but then votes Sally as an "evil-looking submarine" without explaining why she thinks Sally looks evil. Sally's also a very easy vote, because a lot of people are suggesting she's a wolf because of her vote for Hakon.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #217
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

During the course of this game, I found myself staring bleakly at the barren desktop through the fogged lens of the mental state in which I languished, contemplating with marginally bare enthusiasm the idea of the deadline which loomed before me. I thought of crows as I am fond of them, and the small torn animals which litter roadsides in winter seemed far more lonely than in summer: a consequence, certainly, of the frigid air deterring immediate disposal of them. These ignored and forgotten lives, abandoned and refrigerated into a costless memorandum of the promise of the brutal events of Night, nearly consoled me: at least they had died already. We who were left must suffer the absence of the dead, witness the decay of their memory, witness the slander of their words in the hands of those who would seek our destruction. O! happy to be dead.

Nearly, I say, but I was not entirely consoled, as I was a bare thirteen hours into a Day that would take some hours longer to complete, and long experience had taught me that villagers saved the most traumatizing discussions for times when the seconds tick ever closer to our mutually assured end. There is never any escape. There is never any variation.

Languidly I considered a large bird that circled something, drifting, spinning lazily on thermals. The shape of its silhouette and the manner in which its essence loomed convinced me it was a vulture. While eagles soar, vultures drift, and werewolf games contain vultures rather than eagles, opportunistic leering creatures satisfied by nothing but the ripping apart of the remains of the dead.

Eagles, those noble birds which kill quickly, for the sake of survival, hold no place in the Barrowdowns, where the dead rise again, and again, and again.

I had received a letter from a companion from whom I had not heard in many days; a letter which sought my presence in a tone much agitated. We had fallen somewhat out of touch, yet due to the mutually shared experiences of our educational youth - we attended an academy together, and shared many long nights sipping whisky and speaking of those long dead who had written tomes out of which we then studied, hoping to live up to the expectations of our forebears - I did not hesitate to respond.

Mira, sister of my youth and heart, I shall come as soon as arrangements can be made. I shall meet you at the House of Usher.

Yet swiftly following my arrival, my navigation of the green and gold tinted shadows which both guided me to and concealed my destination, I witnessed the most fantastical and horrifying demise of my companion, and of another friend - one equally dear to the heart - leaving me in a place which felt little short of haunted.

Though it would be unfair to say the haunting was that of ghosts; say rather that those who yet lived sought to lay many other guests alongside the fragile corpses in the crypt that now held my dearest (departed) compatriots. I could not turn but to find the suspicious eyes of others upon me, and it was little consolation to know they all wished the death of everyone: I supposed I should not take the matter personally, yet upon reflection of the events, it seemed as though one guest of the House in particular had become impatient with my atypical ways.

It would be brash, I supposed, to intentionally antagonize any given guest, particularly for an insult as petty as the one that had abused my vanity.

Of course I was cute.

It would be unhelpful at best, I thought, to waste time antagonizing such a guest...

But, I thought with unexpected malice, we cannot all be perfect.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #218
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Roa: Sorry, I just don't get your analysis on Boro...

Where are the deductions there from?

How are you making those points from Boro's posting? What kind of "theory of motivation" do you use there?

Boro is most suspicious of someone = points away from that person as one who'd kill him during the Night?
Boro suspected someone = that person would have killed him?
Boro "slightly" suspected someone = that person probably didn't go to kill him?
Boro considers voting for someone = maybe not enough to kill him?

Not only do I find this "analysis" odd but also a bit too purpose-oriented...

And how do you find me and Greenie being in cahoots, on the basis of what Boro said? How would his words be any authority on that, how would have his words related to anything asa he was a bear and knew nothing? Still you say your deductions are based "solely on this" ( = your analysis on what Boro said).

Are your werewolf -schemes getting better of your good sense and you were creating there a wannabe conspiracy-theory of three wolves and forgot that Boro was a Bear?

Or did I miss something?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #219
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*glances up, blinks*

Love Fea (or at least her Poe-try) think Saucie might be okay and am worried about Roa and possibly Nog. Pitch seems evil to me and Greenie just voted me for no reason, but people do that a lot so I'll leave it alone for now.

Just some thoughts. Sorry, but I ended up being a lot busier (and a lot sicker) than I intended today. I did warn you I'd be a submarine....

(In other news, I'll read through everything again when I get off work and offer commentary where I see fit/can manage. Then I'll go from there.)

EDIT: x'd with Nog and the Telltale Fea. I bloody love you.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #220
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Now I wonder if Greenie and Nogrod are wolves together planning on using their usual tit-for-tat as a cover, and if one of them gets lynched, it makes the other look better.
I was about to ask whether Greenie would keep it up so consistently toDay in this case, but just noticed she's 1. backed off Nog for now and 2. adopted his principle of submarine hunting instead. The reason she gives for 1. sounds reasonable (not wanting to stick to Day 1 suspicions too much) - although, if she had good reasons to suspect him which haven't been invalidated since, why not stick with them? As for 2., I obviously can't find any fault with that, nor with her choice among the subs. (Yes, I remember I voted Boro because he claimed to find sally most suspicious of the subs. I still think neither her early morning jokes nor her vote would be highly suspicious as such, it's both together that worries me. And I'm not saying she's the most suspicious now, but one of four possible candidates.)
Old 11-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #221
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife View Post
I don't know if I like Greenie's vote for Sally. She's been on Nogrod for a while, but then votes Sally as an "evil-looking submarine" without explaining why she thinks Sally looks evil. Sally's also a very easy vote, because a lot of people are suggesting she's a wolf because of her vote for Hakon.
It does look opportunistic, but the same could be said for many of yesterDay's votes. Confusing, to say the least.
Fea, Lari, and Loslote have been mostly in my thoughts toDay.
The reasons are obvious: the Hakon and Morsul voters still look to be the best bet for wolf-spotting.
Question is, who comes off looking the worst?
Fea tacked on the final nail for Morsul, and seemed a bit proud of it.
Lari brought the second vote for Hakon not long after Sally voted him. An ill innocent not having the time or inclination to look over things thoroughly, or an ill wolf jumping onto what looked to be a safe target?
Loslote looked very bad to me when she made the vote for Morsul. Her back-and-forth with him afterwards made her seem a little more innocent, though. I intend to look more closely at things later.

Quote:
RoaNot only do I find this "analysis" odd but also a bit too purpose-oriented...
Do you have a theory on what that purpose might be?

x/d with Pitch, and Roa
Old 11-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #222
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Roa: Sorry, I just don't get your analysis on Boro...

Where are the deductions there from?

How are you making those points from Boro's posting? What kind of "theory of motivation" do you use there?

Boro is most suspicious of someone = points away from that person as one who'd kill him during the Night?
Boro suspected someone = that person would have killed him?
Boro "slightly" suspected someone = that person probably didn't go to kill him?
Boro considers voting for someone = maybe not enough to kill him?

Not only do I find this "analysis" odd but also a bit too purpose-oriented...

And how do you find me and Greenie being in cahoots, on the basis of what Boro said? How would his words be any authority on that, how would have his words related to anything asa he was a bear and knew nothing? Still you say your deductions are based "solely on this" ( = your analysis on what Boro said).

Are your werewolf -schemes getting better of your good sense and you were creating there a wannabe conspiracy-theory of three wolves and forgot that Boro was a Bear?

Or did I miss something?
Allow me to explain: I'm looking at it from the perspective of the wolves not knowing that Boro was the bear. If they did figure it out, then discussing his death is rather pointless, but we have know way of knowing if they did.

I don't think a wolf would kill someone who blatantly found them to be the most suspicious, as it would quite obviously point to them. I do think that a wolf might kill someone with the goal of making someone else look bad. That's why I initially thought Greenie-wolf may have killed Boromir to make you look bad. But then Boromir did a 180 on the whole thing, suspecting Greenie and not you.

And then I remembered what Greenie said, about a connection between you and me, and I thought about why she would say that when I just ignored you. And then it occurred to me that she may be trying to cover up her own tracks in doing just that. It really would be a perfect cover- one of you always suspects the other, anyways, so no one would find that out of the ordinary. And if one of you got lynched, the other would automatically look good. She fell into the easy vote of voting for you, and you built a suspicion of her and then backed down. It seems rather perfect wolf-on-wolf to me.

As for the rest, I tried to put myself in the position of the wolves, thinking on each person in perspective: a slight suspicion may not be worth killing over. A suspicion that wasn't exactly slight, but wasn't the strongest? Well, that has the potential to be dangerous and grown into the strongest suspicion.

I may be over-thinking it. Boro wasn't shy about discussing the bear, so it's possible the wolves picked him out. Or maybe the wolves just wanted to get rid of a strong player that could be a threat to them later. The point is that we don't know, so we have to continue to look at all the possibilities. This alone wouldn't be enough to lynch anyone, which is why I emphasized the "based solely on this" part.

Edit: Crossed with Pitch and Inzil.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #223
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Also, of course it's purpose oriented. My purpose is to find out why the wolves killed Boro.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #224
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Do you want to see my "I don't like..." list?

Well, wish it or not, here it comes.

I don't like the way Greenie plays on D1 nor on D2. That vote for me felt just malice-driven then. She knows how I play but didn't give any good explanation for her vote; toDay she continued repeating some off-the-mark things on me and said she would like to make a few questions on me to judge me better (which she never did, so trying to look good only?) - but she didn't make a single notice on what I answered her (and others) on those initial suggestions. On the contrary she acted like I had said nothing to answer her doubts and only dismissed voting me on the grounds that it's not too good to stick with D1 suspicions only. And I can see a scenario where she didn't want to vote me again for the reason that I might actully focus my attention to her this time for good - and now with some reasons backing my possible vote which some others might follow.

I don't like the way Fea keeps herself over and above the actual debate. The poems and the "novellettes" are fine and entertaining but the substance is greatly lacking. I might vote her just for the frustration, but her vote yesterDay was actually quite suspicious. Many of you have said you wouldn't "put it past Fea" to make such an openly gay nailing vote on an innocent. I would say I would be surprised if she would have handled the situation differently were she a wolf...

I don't like the ever larger compartment of submarines we have around. Whatever Sally's role is, her last post is indicative of the situation... She managed to mention a handful of people: one who stood out because of poetry, another because of voting for her and four because they have been the most vocal... So there the submarines will keep diving under any radar...

I don't like some bandwagonish / easy-going votes from yesterDay and the subsequent silence toDay, mainly Lottie, Sally and Lari...

I don't like McCaber's calculative submarine-approach.

Last edited by Nogrod; 11-05-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added the last point...
Old 11-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #225
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I agree with you about Fea, Nogrod. She hasn't been helpful at all, and I would say she's basically not even playing.

Right now, I am seriously considering voting for Fea. My other choice at the moment is Greenie. Her comment about me and Nogrod was forced, and her vote for Sally is too easy, and lacking in any actual reasons.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #226
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I don't like the way Fea keeps herself over and above the actual debate.
Why should I interject? You're all doing a wonderful job for me. I'd just get in the way...

To summarize the thoughts de ustedes, which extrapolate on my thoughts:

Borangutan clearly thought one or both of two things: Hakon was the seer, or Hakon was an easy target because everyone was irked that he wouldn't shut his gob about meta.

The more interesting question is why the wolves picked Borangutan, and my guess is that they were thinking one or both of two things: Borangutan was Were-ape (as evidenced by Hakon's commentary), or Borangutan was an easy target.

As far as wolves would be concerned on a Night 2 kill, it doesn't really matter who dies, since everybody's got to go.

The wolves' greatest enemies would be, respectively, the Bear and the Seer. Yes, the Seer can identify, and that's bad, but the Bear can kill somebody each night, and that includes wolves. Wolves have enough worry during the day keeping their pack alive. Add to that the threat of random death at night?

And don't tell me the wolves aren't threatened by a Werebear. The Bear's greatest threat is the wolfpack. It's fairly easy to stay under the radar during the day, whereas at Night, you don't have any say in what happens to you. Yes, the Bear wants people to die at a rapid pace, but as long as one Wolf is alive, you get two kills per Night. The Bear can't win without killing the Wolves, and multiple Wolves (obviously) outnumbers one Bear. It's in the Bear's best interest to kill wolves early so that when it's down to the wire, the Bear is the only one making night kills.

That being said, the Bear is the wolves' great threat because the logical behavior of the Bear is to start sniping wolves.

Therefore if the wolves thought Hakon had found Borangutan, they'd want to kill him while they had the chance, before one of them died.

Therefore, Hakon died either because he was too damned obvious, or too damned annoying, and Boro died either because Hakon was too damned obvious, or the wolves wanted a trail-less kill. Conversation over, and since following the lead of the Seer doesn't really lead back to the wolves so much as it shows that they're paying attention, let's look to the future.

The Ranger can no longer guard two Nights in a row, and there is nobody that stands out right now in terms of needing to be guarded, since most of the 'important' players peaced out already. Without the Hunter and the Seer, the Ranger is left to protect innocents. All of whom seem just about as innocent as the wolves. So I'm viewing tonight as a crapshoot in terms of protection/killing. Odds are in the wolves' favor of getting who they want, and odds are equally in the Ranger's favor of protecting who they pick. Summarized: it's unlikely the Ranger and the Wolves will go after the same person, so most likely somebody's going to die toNight.

The Lovers have not really been discussed, which I think is an unfortunate oversight given the fact that by their very definition they don't care if the village wins, only if they win. Also, it should be born in mind that there are currently two players in constant Daily communication. The question to ask is if the Lovers have the village's best interest at heart.

And then there's the Cobbler. Who obviously doesn't have the village's best interest at heart, and could be anybody, but based on the number of people (self included) drawing the attention of the crowd, it's probably somebody playing reindeer games until they're needed.

My theory: as a village, we should concentrate on two groups:

1) those who appear to be working together

2) those who appear to be invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
I agree with you about Fea, Nogrod. She hasn't been helpful at all, and I would say she's basically not even playing.
Wrong. I'm just not playing the way you think I should be. And when you're the mod, your opinion will matter.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #227
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Greenie's stated reason for voting Nog yesterDay, other than retaliating, was 'because he makes weak reasons sound big'. Going through his early posts yesterDay (before she first said this) I could find only two points to which she may have referred, other than his suspecting her to be the Bear:
1. his case for SpM being the cobbler, which was chiefly based on the FWI discussion and relied on SpM rather misinterpreting the narration on purpose than being genuinely confused;
2. his suspicion (backed by linguistic nitpicking) that Roa had only pretended to be confused about the number of wolves. Looked overblown to me at the time, but likely a language problem.
Note that he used 1. to corroborate the Greenie=Bear hypothesis:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog #69
It was just an hour before Spm had made his own version of this "heh, you got me" -stuff and now Greenie was responding? It does look like a cobbler / wolf / bear -probing to me.
This seems a bit stretched. Given that Bear and Wolves are natural competitors, would a Bear really want to signal to the Wolves, or the cobbler?
And that's about it. Grasping at straws? Maybe, but on purpose and with malevolent intent?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #228
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

To supply you with my "I'm uneasy with..." list as well.

I'm uneasy with Roa who behaves too civilly towards me. Her explanation on her "Borolysis" made sense but I'd presume she would be able to come up with one if forced to do it...

I'm uneasy with Spm as I see him grasping at straws at times and being so very reasonable at others (and I mean it - he can be very reasonable & reasoned indeed). Also his change of style is remarkable: from the early game (and I don't mean only the "banter phase") confusion-monger and wannabe-contactor he has turned back into a decent and reasonable player; after he was suspected of being the cobbler by enough many players and as the bear died. Although I'm not sure he is a wolf, but a cobbler maybe? (I have still not forgotten that possible Greenie - Spm link possibility which they have nicely turned into a chatter toDay)

I'm uneasy with Pitchie because he seems soo reasonable and uncontroversial. You have just enough initiative that no one can say you just follow others but you are also very careful not to arouse any suspicion.

I'm uneasy with Brinn and wilwa, both of whom I know can be real killers when needed but have been quite quiet so far.

Well, a familiar position: I distrust you all. If I'd have to name one innocentish person it would be Nerwen.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #229
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nice to see you involved, Fea.

I think the lovers haven't been discussed for an obvious reason: we don't have to kill them to win, and they really pose very little threat to us. If one of them dies, the other gets a free kill, but that's a big if. Their best bet is to play on the villages side.

So are you saying that it really doesn't matter what Boromir thought, since he was probably just a safe kill, if not killed for being the bear?

Then who do you think is suspicious?

And maybe we don't have a problem with your style, dear, but I for one resent doing all the work while you sit back and benefit from it.

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 11-05-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #230
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
And maybe we don't have a problem with your style, dear, but I for one resent doing all the work while you sit back and benefit from it.
Clearly you aren't a proponent of socialism.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #231
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Looking soo much better Fea - well not as poetical, but anyway.

Although I must say it's not too particular...

And your view of socialism is just weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchie
Greenie's stated reason for voting Nog yesterDay, other than retaliating, was 'because he makes weak reasons sound big'. Going through his early posts yesterDay (before she first said this) I could find only two points to which she may have referred, other than his suspecting her to be the Bear
I hoped I wouldn't have to come back to this anymore but it seems I have to as you brought it up once again and I'm going to sleep soon.

I think I said it yesterDay already that I had read the thread up to a point (5PM my time or something) and three people had roused my attention: Greenie, Spm and Roa - that far. Then coming home I looked at their posting with the eye of "if they were baddies how would you explain these posts"? And as you all know I ended up with the decision none was a case good enough to vote for them on D1.

If everyone did that on Day1 (really tried to look for the baddies laying points on them) the Day1's would be real opportunities to lynch a wolf instead of easy hunker-down bandwagons that seem to hit gifteds and innocents more often than the wolves (because the wolves know who to vote). It's pretty frustrating to be the only one (well, one of the few) to actually try something on D1 and get load of X from that.

Or maybe people have different standards on what makes a "big case" or a "well-reasoned suspicion"? To me those I made yesterDay were not ones of that category, but something worth mentioning as I couldn't be sure I'm alive toDay to voice those suspicions - however inconclusive they are as they are only D1 suspicions.

Okay. Needs to check the Mead Hall and process my vote in my head meanwhile...
Old 11-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #232
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Before my last post becomes a problem (if in fact it does), I'd like to apologize for any offense it might cause. It's intended as a joke, relating to the way Roa phrased her last comment, not as a slight on anybody's political leanings.

That being said, expecting people not to be opportunists in terms of letting a few people do all the talking and/or analysis is silly. More than half the players sit back and let other people do the hard work.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #233
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
And your view of socialism is just weird.
Actually, I'm totally into it. But I shouldn't have mentioned it, since there's the risk that a comment that could be made with a wink and a cheeky grin at a cocktail party won't carry the same connotations that a blithe written remark can.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #234
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
So I did some thinking on Hakon's posts, and I managed to come up with just about what Fea said: that he dropped one too many seer hints and Boro decided to take the potential risk of suspicion there.

And as for Boro, I think he was probably just a no-trace kill.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #235
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
I shouldn't have mentioned it, since there's the risk that a comment that could be made with a wink and a cheeky grin at a cocktail party won't carry the same connotations that a blithe written remark can.
Don't you worry. The comes near enough...
Old 11-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #236
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

So, Fea, you've finally pastiched your way through the poems and tales to Heureka. I'm duly impressed. Nice analysis of the situation. Now what about applying it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
My theory: as a village, we should concentrate on two groups:
1) those who appear to be working together
2) those who appear to be invisible
I think we all have an idea who falls under 2). What about 1)? Who do you think looks like they're working together?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #237
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
And once more I'm out of time.

++Nogrod

for voting me for rather spurious reasons yesterDay.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #238
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Not a huge fan of it, no. I like capitalism. (Or at least the ideal form of it.)

Ah! McCaber you startled me, jumping in and out so quickly like that. I don't see how Boro could be traceless- he had far too many opinions and suspicions for that. You would have been a no trace kill, as would have Wilwa, or Lari, or Sally, or any of the other submarines.

A no trace kill would have been very easy in this game, and it's practically SOP for wolves on Night 2. But that's not what the wolves did and I think there must be a reason for it.

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 11-05-2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: out, not so
Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #239
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Perhaps it's more accurate to say that Boro could have been a no-accurate-trail kill. You can pick a reindeer and have no trail at all ("How can we know who killed her when she only posted once, to say hello!?") or you can pick somebody knowing that there are false trails people will think they've picked up.

It's the difference between no trail and a set-up kill, but on a Night 2 when wolves don't have anything better to do? Like you said, Roa, it's practically SOP for wolves to just pick someone that doesn't mean anything.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #240
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Alright, then, Fea, who do you suspect?