The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
Lutfiska
Haunting Spirit

Lutfiska has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Deagol instead of Smeagol

Hullo!

I wonder what ME would have been like and what would have happened if Deagol had killed Smeagol instead of the other way around. Would we have had some sort of a "Dollum"? Plz tell me what you think.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:44 PM   #2
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Since we dont really know what type of charactor Deagol had its hard to say,he may of been a nice little guy and kept the ring out of trouble like Bilbo did for so long or he may of been a little creep like Smeagol and got into trouble with it and ended up a lonely outcast like Smeagol did.

I think its a safe bet the Ring could tell what one of the two would serve it the best and so it called out to Smeagol and so he lusted for it and in turn was willing to kill for it (the only person we see in the books who is willing to kill to gain the ring the second he sees it).

Just my two cents [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 04:12 PM   #3
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ah, but it wasnt deagol birthday [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I do have a point, rather than just babbling. deagol did not really want the ring, any more than anything else he could have found. If he had killed smeagol, it would have been out of defense rather than greed. Would this have an effect?
Old 03-26-2003, 04:38 PM   #4
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Quote:
deagol did not really want the ring
What makes you think that? I have to disagree...

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 01:12 AM   #5
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, what I mean is, he was attacked, not fighting. He did not turn to evil.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:06 AM   #6
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Thumbs up

I can't imagine Deagol was a nice little guy, exactly... he was Smeagol's best friend. Although, I don't think Smeagol was so much of a creep from the very beginning, I don't think he was the most wholesome sort of guy one could meet either. He's got this morbid streak and seems a little obsessive even pre-ring. So, I'd think Deagol would have to have some similar personality traits to want to hang out with Smeagol all the time.

A thought anyway [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 02:06 AM   #7
Lutfiska
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hullo eleanor

Yes I think that Deagol was less evil than Smeagol. Cause if he wasn“t why did the ring "choose" Smeagol? But I don“t think that he would have been able to do like Bilbo. Cause hobbits somehow seem more resistant than men. And "stoors" ( smeagols people) were more like men.. well thats only how i got it...
Old 03-27-2003, 08:16 AM   #8
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dūm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I wonder what ME would have been like if Deagol had kept his ring instead of being killed by Smeagol (foolish Stoors)...
He probably would have ended up like Smeagol/Gollum. The Ring corrupted every bearer who bore it. Even the wise (Gandalf & Galadriel) chose to avoid bearing it. It had a will of its own, and had one goal... to be united to its Maker and Lord, Sauron.

Quote:
"...Deagol was less evil than Smeagol..."
Perhaps he MIGHT have been. But maybe the Ring attracts those who have a weaker will, enthralling them.

Er, Dollum??? Smeagol Gollum got his "nickname" because of the funny sound he made in his throat. I don't think Deagol had a similar problem.
Thalionyulma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 10:36 AM   #9
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm, this was written by a friend while I was eating.. It won't happen again [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ March 28, 2003: Message edited by: Afrodal Fenyar ]

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #10
Lutfiska
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hey....have some fantasy. The thing with "dollum" was just a joke. And if everything is ment to happen no matter what we do, do you mean that aragorn could have gone drowning himself in a river and the "goo" would have won anyway? Sounds kind of foolish to me... Plz explain more
Old 03-29-2003, 06:02 PM   #11
Chancellen the True
Pile O'Bones

Chancellen the True has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

If Deagal had killed Smeagal, the ring would have used it against him. Since Deagal's character was different then Smeagal's, probably more wholesome, the ring would have worked on him in a different way. The Ring would look for the weakness in the character of whoever possesed it. A good person is still vulnerable to the power of the Ring. That's why most of The White Counsel would not touch it. My guess is that The Ring would have used guilt from the murder of Smeagal to turn Deagal under it's will.

Now, what would have happened afterward, that's another story. Gollum loved getting to the roots of things, finding out secrets and such. That's what drove him into the mountains. Deagol's character wasn't examined to closely. It would be hard to say where The Ring would have driven him to. It could have driven him to Mordor. In a way, ME could have been lucky that Gollum had the ring. Sauron could have gotten The Ring before anyone else and a thousand years earlier too.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:08 PM   #12
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Elrond Jr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You know what? The ring is completely evil. Whether it was Smeagol or Deagol who got the ring, after having it for 2000 years it would manipulate either one of them into the hideous gollum creature! The will of Sauron is too strong. However one difference that may occur is since all of you seem to think that Deagol is more wholesome then he would probably be coaxed back into Deagol from Frodo easier.