The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2003, 10:02 PM   #1
Andwise

Sting Howdy, and can I have some help.

Hey, I'm completely new here, and I really just started the Lord of the rings last year, and I'm just on the last couple of pages of the The Return of the King. And I find that it's an excellent trilogy! And'm really intrested in the topic of Middle-Earth and Tolkien's mythology. But, I'm finding the end of the Trilogy to be in-conclusive, like what happens to Sam, Frodo all the way to the end? How does Gondor turn out? What happens to Mordor? I have no clue and I want to know! Ahh!
Old 07-04-2003, 01:17 AM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

The only thing you can really read is the Appendices. That would tell you a little of you would like to know. That's basically where it ends. It's sad, yes, but it had to stop somewhere, at least Tolkien's part. the rests sort of begins with us. We can imagine and write fantasy and carry on how we think it would have, but of course, each persons writing is not the same and is contradictory. You are free to read others writing too, but just because you read something, doesn't mean it is true.

I think that JRR Tolkien was encouraging us to write and to carry on Middle-earth. He could not finish Middle-earth. We can write on and on. Christopher Tolkien has kinda of done this, but not really with what happened after. It is us, the fans that are left with the chance to write ME based fantasy after LotR. I think Tolkien wanted us to do that because of the way LotR was written in the sense that Bilbo started it, Frodo picked it up after that, and then Sam followed and finished. In my opinion, it is like JRR started it, Christopher carried it on, and we are left to continue it. One way is to try the RPG's on this forum.

EDIT: Welcome to the downs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And Happy Fourth of July! God Bless America!

[ July 04, 2003: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:35 AM   #3
Itarilde

Sting

Another alternative is to go 'backward', to read the history that comes before Lord of the rings. It will add to the depth and understandig. There is Silmarillion and all the material that Christopher Tolkien have published in History of Middle Earth. Some of it is rather difficult to read and understand, but a lot of it is very interesting.
It may feel sad, but after all, every written story has to come to an end.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:26 AM   #4
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Along the lines of what Itarilde said, if you go back and read the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and the like, you'll see what the history of ME is. That way, you'll find the background filled in, and if history repeats itself, you'll have an inkling of what the future may hold for ME. Enjoy the wealth of reading still to do! Welcome to the Downs, Andwise. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Happy posting.
Peace
Old 07-04-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

One thing I also did that sort of cleared some stuff up after Return of the King was I went back and reread the prologue. It talks a little about Merry's herbology book and intersting tidbits like that. I also reccommend reading The Silmarillion, and maybe imagining yourself what happened afterwards, and write a story about it.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:53 PM   #6
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Yes, always imagine what you cannot reach. It'll help you get there. Once, I started a story that told of the Dagor Dagorath (the end of the world). I stopped after the second page, but I've always felt that if someone has the talent and the wits, they should produce the conclusion.

Another alternative is to reach out and discover the other tales that Tolkien wrote.

Iarwain
Old 07-06-2003, 01:39 PM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Many fans have written fan fiction that carries on where Tolkien's story ends; not all of it is good, but I highly recommend Tales From Tol Eressea, by our very own Mithadan, for example.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 02:34 PM   #8
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"If I may" *bows*

You can also find a few tidbits of information in the Simarillion about the endings if the Lord of the Rings.

Happy Hunting! -(~<~> Yavanna