The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #601
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I would probably have fallen for that, had last minute doubts and voted him anyway...

I know what people are talking about when they're complaining about this and RL. I actually half-dreaded what will happen later this week if the game is still going on as I have quite a lot of school things to do as well as other stuff and guests coming to see us...
Likewise... which is why I took the risk of trying to get an ordo lynched toDay rather than sacrificing one of my fellow-wolves.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #602
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The blame should be put almost entirely on me (though partly on Volo )

Mith's right - normally I wouldn't want to start the post-game discussion before the narration like this either -- but this time I was trying to get away to deal with other responsibilities. Having neglected these anyway, I have to pray that my prof is understanding.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #603
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I came so close to voting for Nogrod, too..
Old 03-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #604
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I mean it is a biot mean that everyone knows the score and is discussing it before teh deadline has actually arrived.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #605
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Hmph. I disagree. If you ask me, the culprits are Nerwen, Durelin and Nogrod.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #606
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Now I see what Mith meant.... but still (not that this is a good excuse) this really isn't the first time things are clear before deadline, is it?
Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #607
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:

Don't be silly - you could have had more back up (from me for a start) and it was one of the strongest wolf packs I have faced ... no weak link. It take ages for me to work out Dury and Nogrod is so inherently suspicious that I almost ignore it. And Nrewen.. well I said last time we played she wouldbe a terrifing wolf.

We were also a bit unlucky losing Boro, who can be very astute.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #608
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
And I'd say Agan's narration does shine off brightly enough from this discussion...

A deep bow to Agan as well for her wonderful narrations. Even this last was a touchy one.

*one who need to rush as well*
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #609
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Well, I think this might be interesting to list...
People I voted for or advocated lynching:

Gwath - Innocent
Boro - Innocent
Mac - Innocent
Durelin - Wolf
Nogrod - Wolf
Menel - Innocent

The moral? Don't listen to me. Not that it matters, as I'm retired... but now, I wonder how this list would go for the rest of you? It might be good to know who has the best wolf-suspecting ratio from a game without gifteds...
Old 03-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #610
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Now I see what Mith meant.... but still (not that this is a good excuse) this really isn't the first time things are clear before deadline, is it?
That doens't make it right.... it is just that there was so little time to the deadline ... it doens seem discourteous..but I am still talking so . *shut up Mith!*

Old 03-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #611
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
I just realized, the village is 0-3 since I started. I wonder how long I can continue the streak.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #612
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That narration was so hilarious and so utterly disturbing at the same time...it's amazing.

You are so awesome, Aganzir. Thanks for the great game!

Thank you to everyone for a great (and wonderfully nerve-wracking) game!!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #613
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Well, I think this might be interesting to list...
Now Rikae, back to the RL work, immediately!

The teacher commands you! (and himself as well... )
Old 03-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #614
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well-done, wolves. Well-done indeed. I don't think this will be my last game, though. I'm honestly crazy enough to try again.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #615
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
I just realized, the village is 0-3 since I started. I wonder how long I can continue the streak.

Cabbie, my thanks. I was waiting to talk until another corpse did.

Wolves, you little nasties, well done. I called Nerwen for a wolf as soon as I saw that I'd died, and thought Boro or Dury for one of the others. Never would have caught Noggie though. You rascally little devil you.

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 03-03-2008 at 01:19 PM.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #616
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Agan - that narration will give me nightmares ... I read a book last year that had a child freeze to death lost in the snow and I couldn't finish it....

Old 03-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #617
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Okay, ignore the first part of my last post. Didn't see the narration before I started posting.

WOW. Agan, that was niiiiiice. *gives poor little Menel a much-needed hug*
Old 03-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #618
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You wolves were just awesome.

I chose the roles by dice roll - I don't think I would have chosen quite that strong a pack if I had done it by myself. I had a few requirements for the pack, though - I wanted to have at least one wolf I could be sure would do some plotting (and they all were such), and I didn't want to have any non-posting wolves (which was not a problem in this game, anyway). I used my veto right once: the first pack chosen by the dice was Nogrod, Lommy and Greenie, and I didn't quite want them all to be wolves in my game (did someone mention favouring one's friends?)

I think one of the main contributors to the village's loss was sheer bad luck. Every wolf had been suspected, at least a little, but the lynches just always turned out to be in their favour. And lack of time, Boro's withdrawal and everything.

But this was really interesting to watch, and I can't deny I'd like to play in a game without gifteds myself as well (heh, I wonder if anyone else would anymore ).

And I definitely don't mind you starting to talk before the actual deadline, so no need to apologise. I don't have much time now (school starts way too early tomorrow), so it's just the better that I can see you talk a bit now.

Some minor things that pop into my mind right now:

I was on my art class with Lommy yesterday and she was speculating who the wolves were. Suddenly she said: "They are Nerwen, Durelin and my father, they are!" I admit I rather stiffened. Then she continued, though, "No, I don't think I could just guess them all right this way."

Also, it was extremely nasty (I laughed at it a lot, though) of Nogrod to remind everyone that he didn't visit computer before the deadline, because he actually rang me up about 1,5 hours before it and told they'd kill Greenie, one of the reasons being that she couldn't participate much today.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #619
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
the first pack chosen by the dice was Nogrod, Lommy and Greenie, and I didn't quite want them all to be wolves in my game (did someone mention favouring one's friends?)

Mac and I talked about the possibility that was the pack on Night 4.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #620
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Nerwen!
Everytime I think you're guilty, you're innocent. Everytime I think you're innocent, you're guilty. Every innocent-looking Nerwen will henceforth be lynched by me! Gruesomely!
But honestly: Excellent game, absolutely excellent.

Nogrod... I had a bad feeling about you from the beginning, but then I thought "Oh no, I'm always suspicious of him, let's wait til I have something solid." I hate you.

Durelin, even though you were the most-suspected wolf, very well-played.

I hope not too many are annoyed at the trick I played before my death. You were so firm about lynching me that day, I just had to take a little revenge. And I though that, while apparently playing horribly suspicious that day, I could still be of some use by causing some suspicious reactions.

Again, sorry Lommy for that stupid vote.

Rikae and I have been talking about Werewolf, and we reached the conclusion that it's not a good idea to play it against each other. I have some faint hope that Rikae will return after some time, when there is less work around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Yep, the time and energy it takes (this time when I could least spare it), along with the inadvisability of playing a game involving deceit and accusations against one's fiancé.
This pretty much sums it up. I think Eomer and Cailín ended up with the same conclusion, I think. I'm probably also going to play less in the future, and only when the deadline is convenient, since I've had less free time for the last couple of months and will for the foreseeable months to come. It's rather annoying to spend most of your free time playing and getting little else done while knowing you're not even playing remotely your best.

By the way, Nogrod, Lommy, Lily: How do you manage not to slip your roles when you're around each other all the time while playing? This has proven to be really difficult for Rikae and me (well, mostly for me).
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #621
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Also, it was extremely nasty (I laughed at it a lot, though) of Nogrod to remind everyone that he didn't visit computer before the deadline, because he actually rang me up about 1,5 hours before it and told they'd kill Greenie, one of the reasons being that she couldn't participate much today.
Oh you spoiler!

Yeah we talked about this with Lommy after the game had resolved. I think it was just fair that if she used RL-reasons I could come up with my own as well...

And no hard feelings on either side...
Old 03-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #622
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Well, now that I've had a few minutes to think about it...

I don't see why I shouldn't play again if it is:
a) during summer vacation
and
b) Mac isn't playing

Seriously, it's a creepy feeling to advocate even fictionally "killing" somebody you're that close to, and also very disturbing to be decieved by them (or to decieve them, as in the last game.) At least for me, and I fear knowing this will make it too easy for other players when we're both in the game!

EDIT: Crossed, obviously, with Mac and Nogrod.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #623
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Rikae, it occured to me after Mac died that you could possibly be a wolf again this game. I didn't think it true, but my friend and I were discussing it and could imagine Mac's face if that had been the case. I probably would have dumped you.

Okay, I've been meaning to ask this. Volo, what in the world....I can't figure out why you would say that Mac was confirmed as a wolf if he wasn't. Feel like explaining yourself? I mean, not that it didn't make me laugh like a hyena when I saw his role, but I'm confused.

Sorry. Back in a bit. Got to make a phone call.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #624
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Okay, I've been meaning to ask this. Volo, what in the world....I can't figure out why you would say that Mac was confirmed as a wolf if he wasn't. Feel like explaining yourself? I mean, not that it didn't make me laugh like a hyena when I saw his role, but I'm confused.
I think I explaind it somewhere - yes, I'm quite sure I did.

Ah, here. So in the end I was right about Durelin's slips.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #625
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Rikae, it occured to me after Mac died that you could possibly be a wolf again this game. I didn't think it true, but my friend and I were discussing it and could imagine Mac's face if that had been the case. I probably would have dumped you.
I nearly dumped him for his fake confession!

That was EVIL, especially considering that I mentioned how nervous I was about proving I could read him.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #626
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Nerwen!
Everytime I think you're guilty, you're innocent. Everytime I think you're innocent, you're guilty. Every innocent-looking Nerwen will henceforth be lynched by me! Gruesomely!
I thought you might decide that...

Er... I do hope you and Rikae are all right... I mean, after she lynched you this game and stabbed you in the back last game...
Old 03-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #627
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Yeah, that threw me for a loop too. I don't blame you. And in your defense, I'd convinced myself that he'd round off the Nerwen/Durelin team quite nicely, so I thought him wolfish too.

Thanks, Volo. I didn't see that post before. *is guilty of post-skimming, and is ashamed of herself for it*

And again. Noggie, I hate you....but you're totally my hero.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #628
Volo

Quote:
Thanks, Volo. I didn't see that post before. *is guilty of post-skimming, and is ashamed of herself for it*
No problem.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #629
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

But Volo- and Mac– what exactly were you hoping for? Did you really think one of us would yell, "But Mac can't be a wolf! I'M a wolf! ...Damn!"
Old 03-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #630
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Congrats to our magnificent wolves! And the village as well, not that we lynched any of the wolves, but the effort was brave I must say. (Me especially - my suspects were, what, Mac, Cabbie, and Menel? )

Cheers, and thanks everyone for a great game, I really enjoyed it. I'm kind of getting a hunch of how to play as an ordo...

And, last but definitely not least, countless thanks to Agan for great modding and absolutely, should we say, chilling narrations. I particularly enjoyed mine.

"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #631
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
But Volo- and Mac– what exactly were you hoping for? Did you really think one of us would yell, "But Mac can't be a wolf! I'M a wolf! ...Damn!"
Of course not, but it did give me a good reason to suspect Durelin.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #632
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Er... I do hope you and Rikae are all right... I mean, after she lynched you this game and stabbed you in the back last game...
All is well (apart from Rikae's work ). It was all just "in the heat of the moment".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
what exactly were you hoping for?
For some common sense from the ordos.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #633
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post

For some common sense from the ordos.
You expected this in WEREWOLF?!?! Wow, you really are delusional.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #634
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Indeed....

Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #635
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thanks for modding Agan! You did it well and your narrations were gorgeous and grotesque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
I was on my art class with Lommy yesterday and she was speculating who the wolves were. Suddenly she said: "They are Nerwen, Durelin and my father, they are!" I admit I rather stiffened. Then she continued, though, "No, I don't think I could just guess them all right this way."
I really said that?! Wow. Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
By the way, Nogrod, Lommy, Lily: How do you manage not to slip your roles when you're around each other all the time while playing? This has proven to be really difficult for Rikae and me (well, mostly for me).
Quite easily. It's more the fact that I at least am afraid that my expressions and the way I react at "this end of the monitor" will rather give something away. I must say Nogrod has developed an art of playing innocent face-to-face. Actually, the only problem is that sometimes it can be difficult to go online during Night phases without arousing suspicion. And now that I think of it, Nogrod actually once slipped to me something that clearly implied he was a wolf (and didn't even realise he did so) - but fortunately for him I was the seer and I had already dreamed of him so no harm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Seriously, it's a creepy feeling to advocate even fictionally "killing" somebody you're that close to, and also very disturbing to be decieved by them (or to decieve them, as in the last game.) At least for me, and I fear knowing this will make it too easy for other players when we're both in the game!
Well, I've never suffered from such niceties, but it might be just because a relationship between child and parent or siblings is quite different from a romantic relationship... Anyway, I think the key is not taking the whole game too seriously.

And lastly, Mac... I can only laugh or despair so I'd rather laugh. I'm so sorry. Like I said, looking back, you were indeed quite innocentish and I must be happy that you were almost as wrong about me as I was about you. I think I used to spot you as a wolf relatively well and usually felt good about you when you were innocent, but for the last couple of games it has all been upside down, just thinking of Nogrod's, Farael's and this one... What happened?
Old 03-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #636
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I should never ever play with anyone I knew in RL .... I could have cheerfully murdered just about everyone who was on my furry tail in Sauce's game and one of my motivations in declaring myself a wolf was that I couldn't bear the prospect of their gloating ( I found that quite hurt my amour propre in my Fenris game). I felt rather ashamed when so many people said they enjoyed my declaration that it was motivated so much by the desire to go out in style and on my own terms - as well as to leave a minimum of traces to my packmate. Really I am not a nice person....

Old 03-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #637
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Well, I've never suffered from such niceties, but it might be just because a relationship between child and parent or siblings is quite different from a romantic relationship... Anyway, I think the key is not taking the whole game too seriously.
Probably. If my brother, father or daughter were playing (well, maybe not daughter, as the oldest is only seven - but when they're older), I think I could lynch them all quite happily.
I also used to have no problem like that with Mac, as I killed him on Night 1 once upon a time! Still, in the last game, I was unreasonably dismayed at seeing him unjustly persecuted (when, as a wolf, I should have been gloating), and this time I was irrationally furious that he tricked me. *shrug*
I really shouldn't take it so seriously. I always tell myself that...
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #638
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Back to work Rikae! (and myself too... I should have closed this darn computer...)

Just adding to Lommy's point about romantic relationship being a bit different than being a parent, children or sibling - and I hope I'm not paternalising here - but I could well think that with a relationship that has lasted ten years or whatever (= a long time enough) there would be no problem either.

Young love... so tender, delicate and fragile... and insecure.
(I'm not sure if I envy you or am just happy to have gotten over that already! )
Old 03-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #639
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
And lastly, Mac... I can only laugh or despair so I'd rather laugh. I'm so sorry. Like I said, looking back, you were indeed quite innocentish and I must be happy that you were almost as wrong about me as I was about you. I think I used to spot you as a wolf relatively well and usually felt good about you when you were innocent, but for the last couple of games it has all been upside down, just thinking of Nogrod's, Farael's and this one... What happened?
It might be because I changed my style a little. I was bored of being too analytical, which was going to make Werewolf as a whole less interesting to me. Now I focus more on gut feelings. I figured out that, in the end, having fun while playing is more important than being successful at all costs.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #640
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So...am I a bad person to feel that I could choose as a nightly kill, lynch, or use my CaptainofDespair in WW without much hesitation?

On the other hand, I'd probably still need a bit of time to get over him tricking me. So my pride is greater than my kindness? Oh dear....

Oh, and Volo, about the "slips" thing... I swear, most of the things that people jump on, whether I am a wolf or innocent, seem to me like things a wolf would never say, and that's why I say them. Like pointing out the way the innocents needed to win...why would a wolf want to remind the innocents that they need to band together when the wolf knows they and their fellows are all rather in danger? Bah, the mob is so fickle.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote