The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #41
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
By the way, I registered for Oxonmoot, so - Hookbill, plan to bring one copy of your special newspaper for me, please! Who else is planning to come this year?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #42
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I have registerd, but I cannot say if I will come yet. . .School starts the 3rd of september and I will have to get a feel for it before I decide if I can mannage a trip.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #43
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I finally made up my mind to attend this year's Oxonmoot too!
I'm looking forward to seeing Esty again, and Hookbill, and whoever of you decides to come!
Old 08-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #44
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Yay, Guinevere's coming!! Though they're not around here very often these days, it's possible that narfforc and/or Squatter could be there again, as they were last year.

Mithalwen, Lalwendė, davem - any chance?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #45
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Mithalwen, Lalwendė, davem - any chance?
Lal blogged about this a while back. The money (and child) issues seem to have rendered the moot unlikely for them. Shame, I was looking forward to meeting them and discussing the changing world of Parbold with lal.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:54 AM   #46
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Lal blogged about this a while back. The money (and child) issues seem to have rendered the moot unlikely for them. Shame, I was looking forward to meeting them and discussing the changing world of Parbold with lal.
There is only one thing to do and we all know what that is. . . Win the lottery, hire somebody to kidnap(adultnap?) Lal and Davem and bring them to the moot.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #47
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
There is only one thing to do and we all know what that is. . . Win the lottery, hire somebody to kidnap(adultnap?) Lal and Davem and bring them to the moot.
Which one of you are going to win the lottery? And more importantly, which one of you are going to kidnap lal and Davem?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #48
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
We would need a 'family room' to magically appear which would cut the cost and provide us with things like night time silence, a microwave, and free parking because we need to tote so much muck and tat (cots, prams, musical octopus etc) around with us right now
Old 08-25-2008, 05:51 AM   #49
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I can understand your reasons not to come, Lal and davem, but I must admit, I wish you could. My experience (most recently at the annual meeting of the German Tolkien Society) is that children enliven things among all those adults - your Junior would be the star of the weekend! (Your presence would be reasonably welcome, of course, as his caretakers... )
Old 08-25-2008, 06:25 AM   #50
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
I can understand your reasons not to come, Lal and davem, but I must admit, I wish you could. My experience (most recently at the annual meeting of the German Tolkien Society) is that children enliven things among all those adults - your Junior would be the star of the weekend! (Your presence would be reasonably welcome, of course, as his caretakers... )
He already thinks (knows?) he's centre of the Universe He has a knack of blowing raspberries at all the right moments so he would be a little comedian too.

However, I would like to show him off, I admit that You can even buy baby sized Tolkien t-shirts so he'd fit right in. He needs to be Tolkienised as he's just a Whovian at the moment, he goes quiet and watches the TV as soon as he hears the sound of the Tardis or the theme tune (which is very cool).

But it would all be a logistical nightmare right now!
Old 09-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #51
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I will most definately be there, sorry that Lal and Davem won't be going again, hope to see the little one soon.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #52
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Alright I have booked a hostel for the weekend. . .It is totaly economicaly irresponsible, but I am going to the oxonmoot.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #53
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Great news Rune, another Downers snap for Hooky
Old 09-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #54
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

One Oxonmoot friend whom we met last year joined the Downs afterwards - poison ivy. She suggested that some of us meet on Thursday evening for supper - that would be a great opportunity for a Downer get-together. I don't know if any programme is planned for the evening, but for those of us who will be there by then, let's try to meet! I suggest around 6pm at the registration area; should anyone else have another idea, please post here soon. Who will be able to come then? Hookbill, Rune, narfforc, are you planning to come on Thursday? Guinevere, you'll be there by then, IIRC - are you game? Squatter, Mithalwen - anyone else who will be there?

Any objections to bringing along others, should we come across friends who are alone in Oxford?
Old 09-19-2008, 11:29 AM   #55
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Sounds good to me, Esty. I am planning on going punting with a friend on Thursday, so I'll have to actually make some 'official' plans for that and decide a proper time and place. Should only be an hour, because its darned expensive.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:18 AM   #56
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I just sorta realized that Oxonmoot is like this week... Now I'm not so happy...
Old 09-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #57
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

50/1 on Shadowfax

I will be there at 6pm, for I much desire to see this Hookbill the Punter.................
Old 09-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #58
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I will certainly be there!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #59
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

An important annual German event is coming up soon - Ring*Con will be taking place in Bonn from Oct. 3 - 5. For more information, check out the Ring*Con website.

There are a number of interesting guests, representing both movies and books - John Rhys-Davies ('Gimli') is the most prominent. The focus has been widened to include some non-Tolkien fantasy as well, notably Harry Potter.

I will definitely be attending.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #60
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I will be arriving at Gatwick 8:15 am, but I am thinking about sticking around until late and take the bus up with Kath. If I do that I won't be able to join you guys for supper. . . I will make up my mind tonight.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #61
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Is Kath coming to Oxonmoot too?!
Old 09-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #62
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Yep, that is what she tells me.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:35 AM   #63
The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Pipe Oxonian rendezvous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merisuwyniel the etc.
Squatter, Mithalwen - anyone else who will be there?
I'll be at the registration in the late afternoon. According to my tickets, Oxford arrives at my train at about half-past four tomorrow. I shall array me in princely wise, that all may know me and despair (i.e. I will wear a hat).

As it says in Ketils Saga inn Skemmri: "There was a man from Laxardael whose name was Bjorn, and he held the beaching rights along the coast for a mile above Kambsness, and he is now out of the saga. His second cousin's next-door neighbour's best friend was a man called Ketil, who owned the ugliest horse in all Iceland, but he bought another from Thorvald Fish-Breath and no more is said of him."

Wait, no. I probably meant the Longer Saga: "Look not for me at home tomorrow, for I am taking a train to Oxford." It's a late composition.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #64
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

I am in a HUGE SULK NOW!!!!!

We might go and look at that Weta weapons thing in Leeds tomorrow though, so we have some consolatory Tolkien activity to do Maybe next year when we do not need to lug loads of kit about and/or can leave ye childe with his grandparents!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #65
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

There where a few couples with small children and it seemed that they did not really have any problems. . . . Just thought you should know.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #66
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
There where a few couples with small children and it seemed that they did not really have any problems. . . . Just thought you should know.
I wonder if they had to travel from the frozen north like us though, on primitive trains?

Next year he would not need his heavy travel cot bringing along, nor, hopefully, will need bottles sterilising.

Shame really, I could have gone and watched the Merseyside derby with you in the pub
Old 09-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #67
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
Shame really, I could have gone and watched the Merseyside derby with you in the pub
Belive it or not, but I actually sacrificed the match this weekend. . . what a bad desition

Old 09-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #68
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Belive it or not, but I actually sacrificed the match this weekend. . . what a bad desition
Don't rub it in! Tch!