The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #1081
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm...got to wondering last night...if one year of being Dead = one rep point, do those who joined in "1969" have 34 points just for that? Or...not?

Old 08-27-2005, 09:27 AM   #1082
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Well Lal is now back on Taniquetil.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #1083
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Warghirrim

You'd make a good politician Bb.
Alas, alas, Eomer, what party would I join? Once upon a time there was a Rhinoceros Party in Canada ... but only in Canada. Would you be thinking of starting up a Wargian Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rűdh

If you're not careful you'll be back to 'getting the hang of it' before too long.

Serves you right for talking posh. Rather than risk an accusation of euphuism through a potentially equivocal use of the indirect question, it would have been more felicitous to employ the more lucid prosody that is a sine qua non of electronic discourse. After all, there are some people who wouldn't even understand the foregoing sentence, which exemplifies limpidity.
Always the grammarian, eh Squatter? Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if I do start 'slipping'. I've actually for some time now been expecting something like that to happen as in my experience the reps I receive have at times been somewhat random.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI

Let's try and translate, though:

Quote:
Instead of talking posh and being accused of pomposity, cause the question there may have been misunderstood since it sounded like having more than one hidden meaning, it would have been more appropriate to use plainer sentence construction, which is one of the requirements when talking over the net. There are some which won't get this one either, though it is a good sample of what clear talking is

There, I hope it is more or less corresponding
You're a braver man than I am, Heren-Din, taking Squatter's words and putting their facsimile in his mouth.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:56 AM   #1084
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
I would just like to take this oppurtunity to thank all of you who gave me reps for the WWIIX game. I didn't quite expect that many... for losing! Imagine if I had won...

I also want to point out that there are 31 downers who have now acheived the once coveted eleven boxes! I am very new to the number.

It was a secret goal of mine to achieve eleven before the first page in the Members list was full of such highly reputed members. Alas, The Squatter came up and passed me just prior to me turning to the Straight Road. Congrats to you Squatter, you stole my goal, as mundane and pointless as it was.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:38 AM   #1085
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I would like to at this time thank all those who repped me for my "Crazy Captions" posts. I was really, REALLY surprised at that. But all the same, thanks. And thank you to those people who got me to being "As Faithful As Samwise"! Thank you a lot.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:00 AM   #1086
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Well Lal is now back on Taniquetil.
Hmmm. The implication here is that she (and the others) had to come off Taniquetil to perform all the other tasks in their rep levels. So we can presume there were no petty-dwarves on Taniquetil - unless perhaps they just don't stalk people up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter
Serves you right for talking posh. Rather than risk an accusation of euphuism through a potentially equivocal use of the indirect question, it would have been more felicitous to employ the more lucid prosody that is a sine qua non of electronic discourse. After all, there are some people who wouldn't even understand the foregoing sentence, which exemplifies limpidity.
Bold words are words that I didn't know the meaning of prior to Heren's interpretation. Thanks to both Squatter for extending my vocabulary, and H-I for allowing me to do so with minimal effort on my part.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:55 PM   #1087
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
My Eru! Saucie is now above davem in the rep list.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #1088
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Well I just got a rep for my latest Crazy Caption which had this message:

Quote:
Sounds like one I did ages ago, but it's still hilarious. Have you heard the "Angie" one?...§
It wasn't signed, but now I'm curious to what this "Angie one" is. Could whoever this was pm me and tell me about the "Angie one". Thanks for the rep...whoever you are. *stares dreamy eyed into the distance*

Last edited by wilwarin538; 08-29-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:55 PM   #1089
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe *puts on detective hat*

That symbol looks like the one Boromir88 uses on his rep notes. Hmm...

One a reputation note, I remember once in this thread the B-W posted the most repped post. I wonder if davem still holds that distinction or if someone else has wrested it from him?

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 08-28-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:30 PM   #1090
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Quote:
My Eru! Saucie is now above davem in the rep list.
Wil, when I read this it conjured up a mental image of turtles racing.

"And now ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Saucie the Turtle has past Davem the turtle at the breakneck speed of a good post=a good rep! I'm on the edge of my chair and my backside has fallen asleep! Isn't this exciting!"
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Old 08-30-2005, 12:28 AM   #1091
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Interesting data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
overcome this slighting by one who robbed me of, well, it was less than 10 points actually
Just found out - the negative 'power' is half that of the positive. I.e, if you get 9 negative points it means that if you were rated positive by the same member, you would have got 18

Just an info

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:35 AM   #1092
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion
Just found out - the negative 'power' is half that of the positive. I.e, if you get 9 negative points it means that if you were rated positive by the same member, you would have got 18

Just an info
Fascinating. And how did you find this out, HI?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:41 AM   #1093
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Rated my alter ego negative and than checked up alter ego's CP

Old 08-30-2005, 07:02 AM   #1094
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Poor Roggie.

Eomer now steals taters. May your coming revenge be sweet, Horsemaster.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 AM   #1095
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Congratulations my dear Eomer! I myself am this close to getting my tenth box.

EDIT: Ok maybe not that close, but I did just get box #9!
Old 08-31-2005, 09:52 AM   #1096
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

Rumour has it that reputations are being won and lost in a party game in Rohan. And apparently squatters are being allowed!

All Downers are Unforbidden in this celebration of the return of the dark screen.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:57 PM   #1097
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye Reputation update

Boromir88 was lately seen stealing taters from confused gaffers. Fordim probably won't be far behind. davem is back on Taniquetil, while The Saucepan Man is going out with a creepy Nazgul. Meanwhile, Bęthberry looks like a muddy-booted Baggins, probably due to "Unforbidden."

I wonder if there are more new titles to be had after one "has mounted Taniquetil again"?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:43 AM   #1098
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
I have just discovered something new about the reputations system. I recently neg-repped somebody for the first time. (It was for very bad behavior, and it was signed.) After doing so, in order to not run into problems because I forgot my rep was set to negative, I decide to give positive rep to a post I'd been meaning to give rep to anyway. When I went to do so, my box had been automatically reset to positive. I don't know if this was just a fluke or what, but hopefully it will help eliminate accidental neg-reps in the future. Just wanted to let you know!
Old 09-01-2005, 02:36 AM   #1099
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I think I know who you neg-repped, Oromin. I was about to myself, but I figured it would be all too pointless.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:48 AM   #1100
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Hehe. I negatively repped Immasamurai, not because I thought that anything was likely to be acheived by it, but because it seemed a suitable opportunity to try to discover the next level of unpopularity.

And lo and behold, Immasamurai is now known to make more trouble then Gollum. Rather appropriate, doncha think?

So, the known neg rep levels are:

... is slipping.
... has been acting a bit like Ted Sandyman.
... is as unpopular as Bill Ferny
... makes more trouble than Gollum.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:35 AM   #1101
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've never yet neg-repped anyone (mainly 'cause if I think someone's been out of order then I'd rather take it up privately) but I am now tempted to do so with this Troll. I'd normally ignore them until they crawled back under their stone but it is tempting to find out what the lower levels might be...or should I just carry on ignoring?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:47 AM   #1102
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Why not make an experiment? Someone should make a new user just to get neg-repped so we can see the lower levels! That's one way.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:53 AM   #1103
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Immasamurai now has two red boxes! The first such boxes ever seen on the rep table.

I am sure that his(?) account will be closed before long but, until then, I say that we should continue to experiment on this troublesome troll.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:32 AM   #1104
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

I was just so gosh darned frustrated last night. As soon as I or Child deleted one of Immasamurai's posts or threads, he'd start up another and there wasn't an Admin in sight. Lal was so right about the uselessness of PMing him. So, I decided to negative rep him because, well, as other have said here, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to nether side of our repuptation system.

But it wasn't our troll who was the most frustrating. No! It was the failsafe system of our rep system.

It was so frustrating not to be able to give every one of his posts their rightful due attention! (We have to rep another 10 people before we can rep the first person again.) Nice to see others have come up with the same idea!

So, an important question to you all: shall I undelete his threads in Rohan so everyone has more posts to negative rep? Shall we have a bit of sport with this fellow?

Apparently on IGN there is a name for this kind of spamming. It's called "rioting." I think that is a very fascinating use of the word--evidence of how the internet has inspired linquistic creativity!
Old 09-01-2005, 06:36 AM   #1105
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Do not feed the troll. Let's instead forget Immasamurai. He's been banned, but he'll only come back if he sees the reactions you are having. Let the troll find another forum to harass.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:17 AM   #1106
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

It does illustrate, though, how impotent the efforts of these minor trolls are. Every time they try to post or start a thread it gets deleted, sooner or later they get banned and, in the meantime, life on the Downs carries on much as normal.

Admittedly, they provide extra hassle for the mods and admins, but it is vaguely amusing (and also slightly sad) to witness their pathetic and futile attempts to grab some attention.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:07 AM   #1107
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Well, I have to admit, Saucey, that it was a bit of sport trying to guess which web comic he would quote next in each new post, although certainly his comments about the Shire personal were rude and offensive in the extreme.

I'm just glad that he appeared to give up once I stopped deleting his posts. It was the deletion that was encouraging him to post on!

So, I suppose now we will not know what comes after "makes more trouble than Gollem."
Old 09-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #1108
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Why not make an experiment? Someone should make a new user just to get neg-repped so we can see the lower levels! That's one way.
Should we?...I could make a quick account....I mean I'll only do it though if the Mods let me
Old 09-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #1109
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

No need to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barrow-Wight
Since it seems that no one plans to earn those dastardly negative titles (and would we really allow anyone to sink that low?), I guess I can go ahead and reveal what I chose for each one. But first I will remark how the designers of the reputation system must have been aware that few people would end up on the disreputable side of the line, because in the default titles that came with vBulletin, there were only a few levels beneath 0 and several on the positive side. Assuming the software developers had chosen these setting intentionally, I decided I would not add any levels. I did change the number of posts needed to ascend (or descend) a notch, and, of course, I changed the titles. The original titles were all non-Middle-earthish and terribly uninteresting.

Here are the realms of rottenness that none of our member have managed to fall to.

10 This is where everyone "has started the path to adventure."
0 This person "is slipping."
-10 This guy "has been acting like Ted Sandyman."
-50 This girl "is as unpopular as Bill Ferny."
-150 This creep "makes more trouble than Gollum."
-500 This loser "ruins every discussion like Wormtongue."

And now you know the rest of the story.

P.S. Please don't ask how many positive levels there are or what their titles are. You'll have to find out when you get there
11-25-2004, page 8 (if you view threads in linear mode, 40 per page), post #282

Old 09-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #1110
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I was here when the little twerp went on his binge, and I immediately hopped over to the chat room to see if any admins were lurking there. I didn't have any luck, so I came back to the forum and proceeded to...

...give him a positive rep!

The message I sent him was obviously one that should accompany a negative rep, but since I hardly ever give out a negative rep (I think I've done it twice), I completely forgot to switch my thing over to negative.

I realized what I had done the instant I did it, but it didn't really upset me. I thought it was pretty darn funny, and I knew that he'd get more than enough negatives from other people to balance out my positive.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #1111
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I always miss out on the " fun" - could someone enlighten me by PM on what exactly went on?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 09-01-2005, 03:16 PM   #1112
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
I always miss out on the " fun" - could someone enlighten me by PM on what exactly went on?
And once you got it, kindly relay it to me. I'm dying to find out, ahhh the suspense is killing me. Well not really, I guess I'll live.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #1113
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Send that to me too Mith, please. It sounds annoying and interesting and interestingly annoying.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #1114
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dűm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
I also want to find out about it, it sounds interesting that we actually had a saboteur and spammer ont he site.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #1115
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
OOO!! And me! Send it to me!! as TGWBS put it:

Quote:
It sounds annoying and interesting and interestingly annoying
Old 09-01-2005, 04:16 PM   #1116
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'd like to know too.

Mind, I think it was one of those same no marks that did it a few months ago. They have a thing about trolling sites to cause trouble 'cause they've been kicked off loads of forums in the past. I recognised the 'tone' they used.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #1117
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Somebody by the name of Immasamurai went around posting various completely off-topic and vaguely obscene threads last night. (S)he was quickly banned and his/her posts were deleted. It was rather typical of the behavior of many spammers/trolls--you've seen one, you've seen them all.

On a more on-topic note, thanks to the someone in very high places (approximately 51 points! ) who gave me an anonymous rep on this post. I'm glad you agreed with my assignments!

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 09-01-2005 at 04:29 PM. Reason: smilie issues
Old 09-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #1118
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'd take the info too; if we're talking about more specific stuff. I'm pretty much caught up on the general trouble caused.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:18 AM   #1119
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

So now I'm dating Bęthberry.

I see Sauce has intruded the supposedly invincible Lalwendavem.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:55 PM   #1120
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'm very amazed... in the past few hours, I've gotten not one, but two unsigned pos-reps. Commented, yet unsigned. And I'm not even sure how much they're worth because I have no idea how many points I had before. How intriguing.